AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: crazyiris Where to go and what to do - 03/03/09 07:55 PM
I am celebrating my birthday at the end of the month and beginning of April in Ambergris Caye with a very close "friend" of mine this year. I have never been to the country or island, and I am trying to find out where would be a great place for a birthday dinner celebration. Also, what activities to do with someone who doesn't know how to swim?
Posted By: Sarahvch Re: Where to go and what to do - 03/03/09 07:58 PM
Dinner at Capricorn is great and if you let them know it is your birthday when you make the reservation they will surprise you with a nice yummy rum chocolate cake.

As for activities, well you can always parasail but that is a little costly. There are tons of great little shops in town... I'm sure others will have more to add to this list.
Posted By: shuffles Re: Where to go and what to do - 03/03/09 09:25 PM
It would be a mistake to at least not go snorkeling at Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley. If the other person doesn't swim, they can ride along in the boat and see many fish and marine life from the boat. Glass bottom boats are available as well, and you can snorkel from them.

I'm not sure if this person just 'can't swim" or is terrified of the water, but most people are extremely bouyant due to the salt in the water, and the water is very shallow inside the reef.

Enjoy your birthday, there is no shortage of excellent restaurants on the island to celebrate in!
Posted By: mountain Larry Re: Where to go and what to do - 03/03/09 09:47 PM
There are many places for a birthday dinner. I really enjoy the Sunset, good food and a beautiful view. I will echo shuffles comments about your friend; if it is just not being a good summer a life jacket snorkel trip is great!
My wife and I will there at the same time maybe we will run into you.
Posted By: lovey and thurston Re: Where to go and what to do - 03/03/09 09:50 PM
Hidden Treasures, beautiful at night and great food.
Posted By: Moose In Belize Re: Where to go and what to do - 03/03/09 10:00 PM
Caliente on Wednesday evening for supper and the chicken drop. Take a tour to Mayan ruins, such as Lamanai. Friday evening buffet at Elvi's Kitchen. Have a drink at the Palapa Bar.
Posted By: klcman Re: Where to go and what to do - 03/03/09 11:04 PM
How much time are you spending on the island? Time enough to make an adventurous trip back to the mainland to explore mayan ruins? Ziplining? Cavetubing?\

What about reef fishing? Or renting a golf cart for a day & exploring the island - both North and South?

Spend a half day on Caye Caulker - a totally different experience from SP.
Posted By: SnoopysMom Re: Where to go and what to do - 03/03/09 11:41 PM
check out Funtasea boat tour and WIld Mangos is the best food smile

Posted By: Ambergris Bob Re: Where to go and what to do - 03/04/09 04:35 AM
Blue Moon is wonderful and on the water, Sunset Grill also beautiful and on the lagoon side, so many great spots its hard to go wrong. For fun out of the water you can tour the Mayan ruins, have a mud massage in the jungle, go to the zoo, ride the zip lines, rent a golf cart and tour Ambergris from north to south, ride a bike along the beach from north to south (great hard pack paths make this a lot of fun and not hard at all), walk San Pedro "downtown" and visit the wonderful local shops. To be such a small place, there is so much to do! Enjoy.
Posted By: Dan Carey Re: Where to go and what to do - 03/04/09 04:53 AM
Originally Posted by crazyiris
I am celebrating my birthday at the end of the month and beginning of April in Ambergris Caye with a very close "friend" of mine this year. I have never been to the country or island, and I am trying to find out where would be a great place for a birthday dinner celebration. Also, what activities to do with someone who doesn't know how to swim?

crazyiris,
the Sunset looks nice. The Blue Water Grill is great. I like the Rainbow on Caye Caulker, too. Any of these are great, but Caye Caulker is a little more funky and laid back. If you go out on the pier to see the stars at night, that's worth the airfare in and of itself.

Do the Lananai river trip. It's like the Jungle Cruise at Disneyland, only it's real. Swimming is not required. The snorkling with a life jacket should be okay, unless your "friend" is really afraid of the water. Kick back on the beach and watch the day turn to dusk, then to night. That's a little bit of heaven on earth.

Dan

Posted By: azbob Re: Where to go and what to do - 03/04/09 08:22 PM
crazyiris, welcome aboard! You will have a great time. Last March I celebrated my 65th birthday, with my best friend, on Ambergris Caye. This was my first trip to Belize and I just returned from my 3rd trip down! smile I fell in love!

Here is a link to my trip report from that first "birthday trip" that may give you some ideas. It's long, but has pictures! laugh Have a great trip!!!!
//ambergriscaye.com/AzBob/

© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board