AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: yllowfin coming back - 03/30/09 01:18 AM
This trip really started 11 years ago. My wife and I decided to get married in a tropical place. We did a lot of research and she decided on San Pedro. I said are you crazy!!! This is a third world country, no really nice beaches, no roads, no conveyance stores, and lots of malaria prone mosquitoes. My wife is a world traveler and the only place I have been is to the Bahamas. She assured me we would have a blast. The next thing you know 25 of our closest friends and relatives decided to crash our wedding/honeymoon/vacation. My wife booked the entire wedding through the Sunbreeze Hotel with Rasta Pasta catering the reception. I believe her name was Marian at the Sunbreeze whom assured us everything would be taken care of. We were the first ones to arrive at Belize City. My wife informed me we had to get on a little crop duster to get to San Pedro. I told her that I do not even think that thing can get off the ground but a few Belikans later sure eased my nerves. On the approach to San Pedro I noticed houses and shacks all around the runway. I am thinking to myself what has she gotten us into. Once we landed and walked off of the plane all we saw was dirt roads with numerous pot holes, on the other side of the road we saw our hotel. My wife looks at me and said what have I gotten us into, that is when I start to worry. We checked in and got to our room. When we opened the door there were rose petals all over the bed and a view to die for overlooking the reef. All of my negative thoughts just vanished. Welcome to San Pedro.Our party was starting to get popular with the locals as more of our guest started to arrive.one of the first things I remember about this trip is asking the bartender what time is it, his response was it is time for a belikan(I never asked again).the other thing I remember is how nice the locals were.they were not fakey nice just looking for a tip.they were just genuinely nice.I remember this one local( I wish I could remember his name)he was an older guy that collected conch shells and cleaned them up and sold them to tourist. he gave us one for a wedding present. Another local gave us a carving of a bonefish.this was one of the best places I have ever been to.my wife and her family have been all over the world and they ranked right up there with one of the best.when we departed the isalnd I swore we would be back.I know things has changed.I know the roads have been paved. I know some of the freinds we met have moved on. We are coming back and bringing our kids to see this wonderful place.I am sure it made a lasting impression.out of all the people that came to our wedding.i know of quite a few that have been back.My brother in law has basically moved to cay caulker.another couple has been back every year.One couple bought a place at belize yacht club.One couple is going 2 weeks after we leave and another is going a week before we arrive. I am sure our wedding was one to remember.We are counting them down.I just hope we are not dissapointed with all of the progress.
Posted By: cakelee Re: coming back - 03/30/09 01:22 AM
No, you won't be disappointed, as the same spirit that you loved before is still there! Your family will have a blast, I'm sure!

P.S. I answered your PM and was afraid I had written too much, but I see now that you appreciate the details as much as I do!
Posted By: kris48 Re: coming back - 03/30/09 01:32 AM
Could the conch guy have been Paisano? Sounds like it. He is remembered by many.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: coming back - 03/30/09 01:53 AM
Yes !
Posted By: Otteralum Re: coming back - 03/30/09 02:00 AM
What a great mini-story. Loved it. That had to have been Paisano. Another life touched.

Have a wonderful time -- if I may steal a line from Capt. Jeff it fits here all too well

Live the dream!
Posted By: yllowfin Re: coming back - 03/30/09 01:09 PM
that was his name.I have a bunch of pictures of him and quite a few of the locals that we made friends with.I am going to bring some with us.We are really curious how some of the kids are doing.
Posted By: azbob Re: coming back - 03/30/09 03:10 PM
Beautiful, welcome back. Even after 11 years, Belize stays with you! smile
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: coming back - 03/30/09 03:34 PM
Good read! I too first came here 11 years ago but I came back more and more frequently until I just planted myself here. Some things change; some never do.
What will shock you is how many people will remember you - even remember your names.
Are you again staying at the Sun Breeze?
Posted By: yllowfin Re: coming back - 03/30/09 11:49 PM
we are staying at banyan bay.from all of the reviews it seemed like banyan would be good for the kids.The more we thin about it the more we remember.I think our group was so popular because of all the single young women that came with us.the local guys showed us the ropes and probably saved us a lot of money.I remember one dive guide that worked for gaz coopers dive shop took a liking to one of our friends.He would take all of us out for a fraction of the cost that the tour company was charging.I remember another local teaching all of us how to do the punta at tarzans(i believe that was the name of the club).BTW:is Pisano still around?
ANYWAY WE CAN NOT WAIT AND ARE COUNTING DOWN THE DAYS.
NO SHIRT NO SHOES NO PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Go South Re: coming back - 03/31/09 12:20 AM
Great to hear a positive story ! We stayed at Banyan Bay and enjoyed it very much. Ask for an ocean view, you will never want to leave AC.
Posted By: champion Re: coming back - 03/31/09 12:23 AM
Pisano passed on, sadly.
Posted By: carbunkletrumpet Re: coming back - 03/31/09 12:43 AM
Great Story and good to hear that you are returning.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board