AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Belize-N-Us Thank you locals ! - 04/17/09 09:48 PM

Don't Feed the Crocs: it's illegal

The Feeding of Crocodiles south of San Pedro Town is a continuous but illegal practice. For months there have been efforts made by environmentalists and neighbors in the area to discontinue those practices. Several agencies, including the San Pedro Town Council, The Forestry Department and the Police Department jointed their efforts to install a sign, clearly displaying the illegality of feeding the American Crocodile.

Under Chapter 220 of the Laws of Belize Wildlige Protection Act, molesting (feeding) wildlife is punishable by a $1000.00 fine and/or six months in prison.

DO NOT FEED THE CROCS; it disrupts the normal feeding cycle which can lead to the specie's extinction.

Just wanted to post a big thank you to those involved in this continued effort to stop this illegal and dangerous activity. Every trip my kids see this activity and want to stop and watch. Every trip I have to explain how dangerous it is and how it endangers the crocs as well.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Thank you locals ! - 04/17/09 11:03 PM
FINALLY - a subject belize-n-us and I both agree on!

The sign looks good and I hope it will survive for a while. I went and took a photo of the sign yesterday - while the croc feeding show was going on in full swing.

I dread the day that I will be on my way home and stumble upon a gruesome croc attack. It is only a matter of time.

But this is a step in the right direction.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Thank you locals ! - 04/18/09 12:00 AM
Amanda
How about taking a picture of the people feeding the crocs and the tourists watching?
I'm all for public humiliation - bring back the stocks! LOL

Back when I was making myself crazy trying to get the bicycle workers to let golf carts of the pull ferry I took out my camera and said I would turn pictures into immigration. You should have seen the guys who hid their faces.

As long as the laws are not enforced nothing is going to change.
Posted By: Belize-N-Us Re: Thank you locals ! - 04/18/09 01:50 AM

Welcome back Amanda!

I guess you didn't notice my "dredging this close to the reef?" post. And appearently no one else has either. I guess I should have included the words SOUTH and BEACH in the title to get some posts going there.

Also thanks for the detailed SACNW meeting minutes. That really helps those of us who aren't there keep up with the latest happenings on the south end.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board