AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: colomojo T-mobile phones - 05/12/09 12:34 AM
I know this question has likely been asked before (I've searched but have only found a generic answer) I am wondering if someone with my same carrier has been successful using their phone on the island. Our Tmobile phones are 4 band with sim cards, how (if) do we proceed to use them while there? I have read in the past they have to be BTL compatible, does that have to do with the band? I am not too tech savvy but would like to be in communication with others while on the island and to check in here at home.

Thank you!
Posted By: ExOkie Re: T-mobile phones - 05/12/09 05:05 AM
I had no trouble using my T-Mobile RazR last May and my Blackberry this January. As soon as I landed in in BZE it picked up BTL's signal. I try not to use my phone there but during TS Arthur last May it worked fine as I had to call the US to make emergency flight arrangements. I do have WorldPhone service (I believe that's what they call it) as part of my package.

One thing I did this January was turn off my data service on my Blackberry before I left the US to keep it from pinging the local service.

That was my experience FWIW.
Posted By: GBZ39 Re: T-mobile phones - 05/12/09 01:47 PM
I've bought a local SIM card for local usefor the last 3 years. You'll need to have your phone unlocked by T-Mobile prior to your arrival in Belize.
Posted By: Islenutt Re: T-mobile phones - 05/12/09 01:50 PM
If you email T-Mobile they will send you the instructions for unlocking your phone. I bought a local sim card at Warpaint and had no issues. Of course I was lucky enough to have Tacoboy to do the techie stuff. smile
Posted By: DeeDeeuz Re: T-mobile phones - 05/12/09 03:07 PM
Does anyone know aything about Verizon? Is it the same situation as T mobile down there? Don't have worldwide coverage just the usual.
Posted By: colomojo Re: T-mobile phones - 05/12/09 03:47 PM
Iam just wondering why you would turn off your data package? Also we don't have the WorldPhone service (I don't think) but my husband was thinking about adding that WiFi Hotspot thing to the package (Is that the same thing?). If you use your phone while there what are the rates like?

Posted By: colomojo Re: T-mobile phones - 05/12/09 03:51 PM
How much are SIM cards and do you have to buy minutes on top of that?

Posted By: JLG Re: T-mobile phones - 05/12/09 04:24 PM
On my verison blackberry phone if you don't turn off your e-mail you will charged per kb you use even if you don't open the e-mails on your phone and if you get as many e-mails per day as i do this can cost alot when you get home.
Posted By: colomojo Re: T-mobile phones - 05/12/09 04:36 PM
I am trying to avoid extra charges so that is good to know.
Posted By: ExOkie Re: T-mobile phones - 05/13/09 12:07 AM
Go to My T-Mobile and look up WorldClass Roaming. I had it activated for past trips overseas. It's a free service. Not the same as Wi-Fi Hotspot.

I have never used my phone for local calls (the only time I needed to make a local call I went over to Wet Willies and Kayleen let me use their phone) so I never bought a BTL sim card. Like JLG said if you don't turn off your data (on the phone) it's constantly checking for email and I've heard that can get pricey. I have free Wi-Fi and my laptop for that.

I'll have to check my May '08 bill to see what the charge was for calling the US. I'll be back home next week and I'll PM you.
Posted By: colomojo Re: T-mobile phones - 05/13/09 01:22 AM
ExOkie,

I appreciate that. Thank you.
Posted By: deadserious Re: T-mobile phones - 05/13/09 03:11 AM
I had set up international roaming on my account when I got our G1s last october, but it looks like only one of our 3 lines actually was set up with it. When I got here my phone was dead.

I was able to call them over skype though to get it fixed and my phone is now working.

REMINDER! always remember to turn off data roaming.
Posted By: colomojo Re: T-mobile phones - 05/13/09 04:56 AM
It sounds like it is going to be easier to buy a new sim card there, any idea how much they are?
Posted By: CaptOneIron Re: T-mobile phones - 05/13/09 09:46 PM
T mobile will charge you roughly $2.50 USD per minute if you use your phone in Belize. How much of this goes to BTL I don't know but it gets very expensive very quickly. Just buy a local sim card and purchase prepaid minutes. Easiest and cheapest way.
Posted By: colomojo Re: T-mobile phones - 05/20/09 05:25 AM
Where can we find sim cards and any idea how much they are??
Posted By: deadserious Re: T-mobile phones - 05/20/09 05:48 AM
You can buy sim cards at several stores in town. Just make sure your phone is unlocked before you leave if you go down that route.
Posted By: SimonB Re: T-mobile phones - 05/20/09 02:05 PM
$60BZ and come with $10BZ credit.
Posted By: colomojo Re: T-mobile phones - 05/21/09 04:59 AM
Yes DS - we are working on that.

Simon thank you for that tidbit of info
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board