AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: kdskis2 Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/12/09 02:35 AM
Hi,
We were scheduled to stay there 9/5-12 (sept) this Fall and found out today via email from the resort after sending them a message about transport that they will be closed for "remodeling" starting in August. This resort is NEW. Maybe two, three years old? Pictures look wonderful. What is the "real" skinny on this place? Does anyone know? Would I have known if I had not emailed? This question remains unanswered. Thankfully we have somewhere else to stay but it is not the same size and are looking and needing a two bedroom unit. Does anyone know anything about this situation with BLBR and also can you guys comment on Brahma Resort? Thanks...I am in a quandry and a bit of a "mood" over these recent transpirings. Appreciate any info at all!
Posted By: SimonB Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/12/09 03:10 AM
It's not uncommon for resorts to close down in Aug/Sep/Oct to take care of maintenance issues that would seriously interrupt their guests enjoyment of their vacation.

Sent you a PM, check your messages.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/12/09 06:18 AM
Sorry about the way you 'found out' but they probably would have made some other arrangements for you and then notified you. As Simon said this is not unusual. Too bad they used the word 'remodeling' as I'm sure it is general maintenance. Had you placed a deposit on your reservation? Did you ask them for a recommendation? That is the lowest of the low season and there are plenty of places available and right now at very good prices.
It is becoming a trend in Belize for restaurants and resorts to close for 4-6 weeks around Sept-Oct for repairs, maintenance and staff holidays. Especially in September it makes sense - there are two national holidays that month and so many staffers want to celebrate them with family.
Additionally, September is the peak of hurricane activity in the Western Caribbean and although Belize dose not get hit with these monsters particularly often, the weather is fickle then.
Legacy is quite new, beach is gorgeous, food gets good reviews and customer satisfaction is high.
Unfortunate if the communications were not smooth, but having more than 90 days notice should allow you to make other plans without too much trouble. Maybe even reschedule your trip until November so that you can enjoy the island when services, activities and weather are at their holiday best?
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/12/09 03:18 PM
There are lots of 2 bedroom places that will be available in Sept., and will have good deals. I would check The Palms, Banana Beach, Banyan Bay, Grand Colony, Miramar, Pelican reef. Bramah Blue is OK but units have kind of a weird layout with smallish rooms (except the penthouse) and it's a boat ride away from town. Decent restaurant on site.
I would guess more places than usual will be closing down for the Sept/Oct months this year due to the stalled tourism biz and the extra low, low season
Posted By: jami Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/12/09 04:11 PM
We just left the Belize Legacy, we were there for a week. The beach front rooms are done but, there are new single family units in the back that are almost done, they look like town homes, anyway they say they are putting a pool in the center area of the town homes and as close as they are to the rest of the rooms, I doubt listening to a tractor dig a pool out, a truck lay pavement and haulers moving around debris would be enjoyable to be around on vacation.
Posted By: captjeff Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/12/09 04:42 PM
There you go ..You might want to rethink your plans..sept is wide open hotel wise ,great deals in proven well know, well run places .why gambel on your vacation ..some times the juice is not worth the squeeze .I personaly could never vacation at a resort under construction .why would anybody do that???the island is a great place to vist pick out something else and live the dream ..
Posted By: skippy Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/12/09 05:13 PM
Belize Legacy has been up and running for 2-3 years, Jeff. It's a very classy and beautiful place. The staff is unbelieveable, your every whim is addressed. They pamper you. Definitely an upscale resort without the upscale pricing. Telling a customer this far in advance about a construction situation in their new addition and thus losing the revenue thereby is another classy thing.
Posted By: captjeff Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/12/09 05:25 PM
Yes it is ,I heard it is nice, but there are lots of nice resorts here ..But my point is why in gods name would anyone comming to this wonderful island want to be around any construction ,anytype .small or large ,a vacation should be special ..with no outside nose or interruptions .. with nothing to do but have fun and live the dream ..Just my humble opinion .
Posted By: kdskis2 Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/12/09 05:35 PM
Ok. First of all, noone from Belize Legacy informed us that they were closing. I happened upon the info by emailing the resort to ask a question about renting golf carts. Secondly, we chose that resort because of the amenities. Now we are at Brahma Blue in a 1br as opposed to the 2 br we had at BLBR. This is thru Interval International. This is the first time that this has ever happened to us. We are very disappointed. I am posting a message about resorts now to get feedback on the others that are there. Thank you for all the responses thus far. We know Belize is beautiful!
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/12/09 05:48 PM
Why did you choose Brahma Blue - one bedroom - if you need two? Do you know it is not on the main island?
Posted By: captjeff Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/12/09 07:29 PM
This is a major problem with people who buy time shares and then try to go thru interval,if you have been lucky in the past god bless you .I do not want to debate the time share thing or the merits or the poor investment . any body in the know ,knows the real deal .But i would if i was you !!! stay in town if you can find a place like sunbreeze suites go for it....there is so much to do here and if weather is good you will love it here .i think moose made a good point in the other post .enjoy your stay ..
Posted By: skippy Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/12/09 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by kdskis2
Ok. First of all, noone from Belize Legacy informed us that they were closing. I happened upon the info by emailing the resort to ask a question about renting golf carts. Secondly, we chose that resort because of the amenities. Now we are at Brahma Blue in a 1br as opposed to the 2 br we had at BLBR. This is thru Interval International. This is the first time that this has ever happened to us. We are very disappointed. I am posting a message about resorts now to get feedback on the others that are there. Thank you for all the responses thus far. We know Belize is beautiful!

Please clarify then. This occurred after you had made a reservation and paid Belize Legacy? Did you deal with them directly, pay them and only coincidentally find out about this? Something doesn't add up.
Posted By: ckocian Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/12/09 08:26 PM
It's a time share arrangement, pipl. They've paid a fixed discounted price in advance for a week wherever the time share joint has properties to choose from at the time they want to travel. The first choice of properties claims lodging won't be available so they have to choose another of the member properties on AC.
Posted By: skippy Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/12/09 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by ckocian
It's a time share arrangement, pipl. They've paid a fixed discounted price in advance for a week wherever the time share joint has properties to choose from at the time they want to travel. The first choice of properties claims lodging won't be available so they have to choose another of the member properties on AC.

How would you know this was kdskis2 situation?

Let him/her answer, OK?

When I stayed there I booked directly with Belize Legacy, and have no idea what you are talking about. Do you?
Posted By: ckocian Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/12/09 09:09 PM
http://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=5

First re-read the quote you inserted in your post. Then check out the link above.
Posted By: skippy Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/13/09 01:27 AM
Again, how do you know if that pertains to the thread author's situation? Who are you?

It appears that the thread author's complaints against Belize Legacy are completely unfair and their "scheduling" problem the fault of some other entity, like the timeshare management? Is that who you represent? If so, don't you think the slam against Belize Legacy is unfounded and should be rescinded?
Posted By: ckocian Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/13/09 01:39 AM
Slam?

Nope, don't represent anyone. Just a seasoned traveler who has been going to Belize for the last 15 years but I don't go to AC any more. Too depressing.
Posted By: kdskis2 Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/13/09 01:39 AM
We have a timeshare that we own in Breckenridge, CO. Grand Timber Lodge. We opt to ski every even year and vacation for our anniversary the odd years. So far, we have been to St. Thomas USVI, St. Martin, The Ozarks, and Antigua. We have always gotten the resort we have requested. Have had no trouble at all. We reserved thru II(Interval International) for Belize back in Nov. and were booked for BLBR (Belize Legacy). I sent an email to BLBR to ask a question about the resort and our dates of travel. I was sent an email back that that they would be closed those days. I called Interval International liason at GTL and told them of the occurence. They put us in a 1br at Brahma (no 2br's are available as of right now). We are on a priority list to get a 2br and hopefully will as this is the low season. We would not be so concerned because we are adventurous people who like to explore, but we have another couple who is going with us who have air to Belize and who do not want to sleep on a sleeper sofa in a 1br condo and are not as into scuba diving, exploring as we. To finalize this and say, I have been happy with our timeshare and II thus far. It is unfortunate that this has happened and if it were the two of us, we would not care as much as we spend little time in our condos. The only concern I have is for our friends and the easy access to other places on the island. If Brahma has a water taxi (complimentary) to SP and we can rent a cart in town, then no worries for us. Thanks for all of the replies so far to all my posts!
Karen
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/13/09 01:45 AM
Skippy: Fix the problem or fix the blame?
Posted By: sweetjane Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/13/09 02:34 AM
assuming you have several to choose from, maybe if you say which resorts you are offered, some knowledgeable folks here can help you pick the one that is right for you.
Posted By: kdskis2 Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/13/09 02:11 PM
Here are our choices again! They are also in another post:

Brahma Blue, Costa Maya, Reef Village or Aquamarina Suites(or Sunbreeze suites?), Captain Morgan's Vacation Beach Club.

If they offer us a 2br at any of these, for those in the know: which is the most suitable/best.

Like I said before...not a big deal for us, but we want our guests to be happy too.
Posted By: Renee-md Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/13/09 02:19 PM
Karen, We own at Captain Morgan's and they have 2 and 3 bdrm units but they are closed in September. We own 3 timeshares and have NEVER had a problem trading anywhere. We have been to St. Thomas, St John's, Cayman, Aruba, St. Maarten, California, Florida and Barbados.

Sunbreeze would be your best bet cause it is in the heart of town.

Good luck!
Posted By: ckocian Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/13/09 03:05 PM
Skippy? Just wondering if you're all right? Those leaps to conclusions can hurt a body.
Posted By: skippy Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/13/09 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by ckocian
Slam?

Nope, don't represent anyone. Just a seasoned traveler who has been going to Belize for the last 15 years but I don't go to AC any more. Too depressing.

Your loss, AC's gain.

Your bad attitude shows. The owners of Belize Legacy are great people, very generous and hard working. They walked the walk in building and operating a first-class resort on AC. Unsubstantiated and unfair criticisms of them doesn't sit well with me. The thread author owes them an apology. You somehow seem to know the intricacies of his/her timeshare situation, and knew that Belize Legacy had no fault in the matter.
Posted By: kdskis2 Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/13/09 04:13 PM
Oh boy! What have we started here?? It seems like it may have sounded like I was "slamming" Belize Legacy? I do not know the owners nor the property. The pictures look very nice of the property, the reviews were good. BUT, BLBR itself has not responded to my reply when I asked if they were indeed closing for those dates and it has been going on four days now. In all fairness, II should be the one to make it right with us. Again, I have been happy with all the places we have stayed in the past and I am very excited about our trip to Belize as I have heard nothing but good things about AC.
Posted By: Canam Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/13/09 05:04 PM
Don't apologize. You were rightly worried because of your upcoming hotel reservations changed, which was based on an apparent lack of communication. I would be too. People posting here just personalize things far too much, far too easily.
Posted By: skippy Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/13/09 05:12 PM
"In all fairness, II should be the one to make it right with us"

There we go. Three pages and we finally get to heart of the matter. An exemplary resort on AC gets criticized due to a middleman/timeshare company? Not good for AC or the resort. If you knew them or how hard they work at being a great place, you would understand the concern about unfair criticism. They are the perfect example of what posters on this forum seem to think is the ideal type of resort. They deserve kudos, not criticism or innuendo.
Posted By: captjeff Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/13/09 06:27 PM
Skippy I undestand where your going with this it is obvious you have a vested intrest in this .So what you are saying is the time share company messed up the booking not the resort ..I can see that happening ..Why A first class resort would want to work with time share is a other post and and for other time .I have never been to this property so I will take you for your word it is first class ..Anyway people who travel,time share or not always go to the resort for info and questions when they feel uneasy unless they book it thru a travel agent .So it makes sense to me that these folks would blame the resort.And yes i have lots of knowledge about things like this as i am in this business not time share heaven forbid end of this ,but a travel agent who helps people make dreams come true.I am now semi retired but have sold hundreds of millions of travel over the years ..When People are asking for help and advice you need to put your foot in there shoes ..And yes one day i would like to see this place and meet the people who run it .I will able to tell in five min.If they can talk the talk and walk the walk .These nice people need a living the dream trip i hope they have the best vacation of there lives ..
Posted By: kdskis2 Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/14/09 07:56 PM
Capt. Jeff, thank you. We are worried. We had plans, we made our airline reservations, etc. and now we have to handle things that should not have to be handled by us. I am counting on II to come through. I have gone above and beyond what I can to repair the situation: contacting customer service by phone, emailing BLBR to get exact time they notified II about their closing, emails to II management, etc. So, I will keep you guys updated.
Skippy, it does sound like you have a vested interest in BLBR. I am glad you are happy with them. I wish we could experience the resort ourselves, but alas...that is not meant to be. If you have some insider's knowledge, send me a PM. Brenda there has been very helpful, but I have had to email her more than once to get the info I need. I am sure she is busy handling other reservations, however.
All we really want is a great vacation as we have had in the past in the Caribbean for our anniversary. Hopefulyy, that will happen!
Posted By: daisy4 Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/15/09 02:32 PM
We are in the same situation as kdskis2. We were given a week at a timeshare as a wedding gift and choose BLBR for our honeymoon from August 29th - September 5th. We booked there months ago through II and we just found out yesterday that they are closing for "renovations" from August 29th until mid-November. It doesn't take 2 and a half months to put in a pool! It's clear that BLBR didn't get enough reservations to make money in the off-season and have decided to cut their losses and screw us over along with the other 60 people that were booked there through II. Now, after we've booked our $1500 flights we have to choose between Brahma Blue and Costa Maya, both of which don't even compare to BLBR. As a middle-man, II should be doing more to compensate us for our loss but for me, the people at fault for ruining my honeymoon are the owners of BLBR.
kdskis2 - Have you checked out reviews on Brahma Blue? They aren't located on the Carribean side of the Island and the beach there is a lagoon beach. I've also heard that it is difficult to leave that resort b/c of the infrequency of water taxis.
Posted By: skippy Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/15/09 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by daisy4
We are in the same situation as kdskis2. We were given a week at a timeshare as a wedding gift and choose BLBR for our honeymoon from August 29th - September 5th. We booked there months ago through II and we just found out yesterday that they are closing for "renovations" from August 29th until mid-November. It doesn't take 2 and a half months to put in a pool! It's clear that BLBR didn't get enough reservations to make money in the off-season and have decided to cut their losses and screw us over along with the other 60 people that were booked there through II. Now, after we've booked our $1500 flights we have to choose between Brahma Blue and Costa Maya, both of which don't even compare to BLBR. As a middle-man, II should be doing more to compensate us for our loss but for me, the people at fault for ruining my honeymoon are the owners of BLBR.
kdskis2 - Have you checked out reviews on Brahma Blue? They aren't located on the Carribean side of the Island and the beach there is a lagoon beach. I've also heard that it is difficult to leave that resort b/c of the infrequency of water taxis.

Are you unconcerned about making such an actionable charge? Seems your only defense would be if it was the truth, and it cannot be as you are offering the thoughts and actions and intent of the owners, all of which you cannot know.
Posted By: captjeff Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/15/09 05:10 PM
Skippy give this post a break all who read this post know your involed with the place ..You are starting to look silly and are embarrassing the resort and yourself ..People have rights to bitch when shit happens to there trip ..let it go ..
Posted By: ckocian Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/15/09 05:25 PM
Fu chru blush
Posted By: daisy4 Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/15/09 06:07 PM
I am as concerned about my "actionable charge" as BLBR is about my honeymoon reservation with them. If they wanted to close for the off-season, they should have made that decision before accepting 60+ reservations. This poor business practice shows complete disregard for their customers. You say that I don't know the intent of the owners, well since you obviously know the owners, why don't you get them on here to enlighten us on their intents? Until then, I'll be posting about my experience on every travel review site I can find.
Posted By: skippy Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/15/09 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by captjeff
Skippy give this post a break all who read this post know your involed with the place ..You are starting to look silly and are embarrassing the resort and yourself ..People have rights to bitch when shit happens to there trip ..let it go ..

Completely false as usual "captain" jeff. No affiliation whatsoever. Just trying to rein in obviously unfair comments about a successful AC business, when it's the non-AC business middleman/management company that is at fault. Get a grip.
Posted By: daisy4 Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/15/09 06:44 PM
How is this II's fault? BLBR decided to close, II didn't make that decision for them!
Posted By: skippy Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/15/09 06:51 PM
You just joined here, obviously to slam the resort. Either you are with the management company, or you joined with the express purpose of harming the reputation of a successful AC business. Either way, we've seen it before here. The resort is an exemplary operation, and I believe they have been unfairly maligned without proof by you or the thread author. Is that clear enough for you?
Posted By: champion Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/15/09 07:25 PM
Skippy, I too agree that the fault lies with BLBR. In as much as they are associated with II and in as much when II performs their function to provide timeshare lodging for members its with contractual agreements with the resorts to provide lodging. So, with that in mind, any arangements made to accomodate the members should have been denied do to their shutdown proceedures. It would appear that was not the case.
Posted By: Canam Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/15/09 07:43 PM
Skippy your logic about people joining just to slam the resort is bad. You are right - this resort does offer guests a fantastic experience and is a great resort. But you can't fault people for being concerned about a lack of communication stemming from BLBR. I have work experience in a similar (not timeshare) travel biz. Why would II offer rooms that were not available and cause themselves such headaches? They sell what they are told they can sell. It's a simply and unfortunately common issue industry-wide that happens all the time. BLBR will be around successfully for a long time because they will deserve to be. But your heated exchanges are not helping and ARE making the resort look bad.
Posted By: GwenA Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/15/09 10:03 PM
I hope this might end this endless thread, but maybe not. Not to offend time shares, but after many sales pitches over 30 some years, if something sounds to good to be true, be wary. I was tempted but never bought in. People that are happy with time shares seem to be flexible, and don't mind making changes. I would never consider a time share to be used in something like a commemorative like a honeymoon. I would never consider a time share a sure bet during a quiet season on a very small island. Does anybody remember when the only time share on the island was the Yacht Club? Please people, economy of scale is a very relevant concept here. Anyone who hasn't been here before might not know how small this place is, when the quiet seasons are, and local resort customs. Oh, there is a global economy issue too.
Posted By: reaper Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/16/09 01:13 AM
Skippy, take a chill pill. Ranting and throwing acusations around about everyone won't help or solve the pending lodging dilemma.
You must know Kevin and Rod at Legacy very well. Phone them and let them know what is up here at the AC.com message board. They are both great guys and will make it right for kdkis2 if they can.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/16/09 05:28 AM
Having someone to blame and making it a big deal is NOT the island way. This is BELIZE where we don't take life too seriously. Please do not stress yourself out over a little thing like making a change in lodging. What if the place had burned down? What would you do then? What if it went bankrupt? What would you do then?
It is no big deal to make a change and my way of living tells me that it always works out for the best. You could possibly end up with a far far better place than you even dreamed of.
Just get on with your life, sit back, enjoy the ride. And when you get to where ever it is you are going have a good time.

If you can't do that you will not like our little island.

And a good operations does not need a lot of defense.
Posted By: kerry Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/16/09 06:45 AM
well said harriette
Posted By: kdskis2 Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/16/09 01:58 PM
Hey guys! As I said before. We (my husband and I) are very flexible and adventurous. We've stayed in hostels/Pensiones. We know that we will have a great time because we venture out. We are mainly concerned for our guests (who are older) that are going with us. They now have a sofa sleeper to sleep on and it just won't work for them. Now, they may have to pay for a place to stay. I mainly wanted to know if anyone knew what was going on with BLBR because I did not get a response from them initially. And I wish we could have known sooner about the closing because our friends could have not booked their air. I am being patient about this. Giving it some time. I hope it does work out for us. We are anxiously looking forward to our trip and AC.
Originally Posted by GwenA
I hope this might end this endless thread, but maybe not. Not to offend time shares, but after many sales pitches over 30 some years, if something sounds to good to be true, be wary. I was tempted but never bought in. People that are happy with time shares seem to be flexible, and don't mind making changes. I would never consider a time share to be used in something like a commemorative like a honeymoon. I would never consider a time share a sure bet during a quiet season on a very small island. Does anybody remember when the only time share on the island was the Yacht Club? Please people, economy of scale is a very relevant concept here. Anyone who hasn't been here before might not know how small this place is, when the quiet seasons are, and local resort customs. Oh, there is a global economy issue too.

I know I'm gonna hate myself for saying this but I wonder about the advice from someone who keeps attending "sales Pitches" for 30 years that they don't trust enough to "buy in"
Posted By: reaper Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/16/09 11:40 PM
You get LOTS of free stuff at those time share meetings!!!!
Posted By: GwenA Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/17/09 12:31 AM
Trust what you want to...bought a lot, built a house, and live here now. As far as the 30 years, there weren't many pitches, and yes it sometimes involved some free golf at some great courses.
Posted By: Niklauryn Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/31/09 02:57 AM
We just spoke with Interval International and they have no idea what to do about our reservations. We were suppose to stay at Legacy for 17th Wedding Anniversary...5 people booked for this trip and confirmed on December 24th , plane tickets bought February 02, and I was told by Joshua at II that II knew about this in January/2009. Told Joshua they never told us about this because I found out by e-mailing the resort for some information. II is at fault, not Legacy. Legacy did what they were suppose to do and II never followed thru by telling the 60 people booked for this resort. I am truly disappointed that I will not get to go to Legacy, but I donot blame them. We have never had a problem with II before, but this is a big one and I am not sure how they can resolve it....they are suppose to get back with us Monday regarding this error....will keep you posted on this one! If anyone else is involved in this mess...let me know how it was resolved..I do not want to stay at Brahma Blue/too far away....Niklauryn
Posted By: skippy Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/31/09 03:34 AM
"II is at fault, not Legacy. Legacy did what they were suppose to do and II never followed thru by telling the 60 people booked for this resort."

Thank you for having the integrity to post the truth. Maybe now the apologies to Rod and Kevin and one of the top resorts in AC (#2 on TripAdviser for a long time) will be forthcoming if the accusers have any integrity. But since the thread author has an agenda, that is likely not forthcoming.

Yeah reaper, Rod and Kevin are friends, and they and Belize Legacy have done a lot more for AC and Belize than anyone else posting in this thread. Remember the Sapphire Beach (aka SB) threads? Well, they are the precise opposite of that situation. They didn't make promises, they actually did what they said they would do, and continue to run the highest quality resort. The rave reviews prove that. So stuff your criticism of someone trying to defend them against false charges, which this entire thread has been full of. Save it for the liars. How this has been allowed to fester on this board, I have no idea. How is II more important than Belize Legacy to AC?

Yes, I knew the truth early on, bcause I bothered to check as soon as the charges were made by the thread author. Anyone could have done the same, but instead a lot of uninformed stupidity was posted. Get a grip, people. You disbelieve a local business, but believe a total stranger who showed up with this thread.

Oh, I did inform them of the thread, reaper.
Posted By: H20dog Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/31/09 04:42 AM
Skippy, most of us don't know you personally so that makes you a "total stranger". Newbies on the board deserve the same respect you seem to expect for yourself. Reaper has done a lot for the island, which of course you are unaware of because you are actually the NEW guy. Calm down, everyone knows the score, and we don't need someone bringing attention to a thread that really needs to die.

P.S. Your veiled threats of litigation are ludicrous at best. (read the whole thread first)

Posted By: chunkyruth Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 05/31/09 04:55 AM
Wow, Skippy, you're barking up the wrong tree here. Hard to find someone who has done more for the island than Reaper.
Posted By: Gela Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 06/01/09 04:09 AM
kdskis2 - is your CO vacation unit a 1 or 2 bedroom unit? I have often been confirmed in a 2 bedroom unit through II exchange even though I'm entitled to a 1 bedroom only. I would think that II has to ensure you get a 2 bedroom to replace the 2 bedroom that cancelled due to closure.

Ask II to arrange for 2 one bedroom units at Brahma.
Posted By: Niklauryn Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 06/02/09 03:32 AM
II has still not re-booked us into any resort. We donot want to stay at Brahma Blue because it is too far away from anything and it is not on A.C. We are either put on hold or calls are not returned. Brenda, at Legacy, has really tried to help us with our problems with II and even contacted them for us. A dream 17th anniversary trip down the drain....really upsetting that after 10 years II does not seem to care about their timeshare owners...We are documenting everything for our next step if we donot get some kind of resolution to this problem...Anyone have any contacts at II that can help us!!! Niklauryn
Originally Posted by Niklauryn
We donot want to stay at Brahma Blue because it is too far away from anything and it is not on A.C.

Umm - Legacy is a 20min boat ride (10mi) from town and Brahma is 1min - visible from almost anywhere in town - and most certainly a part of Ambergris Caye. If proximity to town is what you want - Legacy should never have been a choice at all.

Mind you, Brahma is on the west side of the lagoon and has its own charm and unique and wonderful scenery and it doesn't overlook the reef. You'd be hard pressed to beat the sunset view from Brahma as it is probably the only place on AC that is oriented to the West. I assure you though - it it A LOT closer to town than Legacy.
Posted By: Gridguy Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 06/02/09 04:10 AM
CConnect

Thanks for clearing that up, I was thinking exactly that.
Posted By: reaper Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 06/02/09 07:30 AM
skippy,
I never criticized you on this thread. You are the one leaping to conclusions about everyone's situations and accusing folks of just signing on to complain about Belize Legacy.
Here's a little history lesson for you. I met Rod and Kevin six years ago. Since then they have helped me out tremendously with the "Boogie in Belize" skydive events. In 2006 they provided the 127 folks in my group with a sunset booze cruise. In February we had meetings with Rod and Kevin regarding an air charter service to bring down folks from around the US non stop to their resort. I have taken many folks to look at their resort that are interested in purchasing a condo. I discuss long term tourism ideas with both of them every chance we get, as we all benefit from a healthy tourism product nationwide in Belize. I think they have a top notch product and have watched it grow from the first clearing of the land.
Anytime you would like to discuss Belize tourism with me give me a call.
Posted By: sweetjane Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 06/02/09 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by Niklauryn
A dream 17th anniversary trip down the drain.... Niklauryn

while i feel for your plight, that's a pretty melodramatic statement.

i have gotten great deals on very nice places in off season. it probably isnt what you want to do or hear, but if i were you and wanted a nice anniversary, i'd skip all the bullshit, drop the timeshare idea this time around, and book a few rooms at off season specials, or rent a beautiful private beachhouse that sleeps many people. if you want something to work out bad enough, you have to make it happen.

if II is bugging you or not working with you, and you really want a nice anniversary, just blow them off and do it yourself.

like harriette said, its belize, and you have to roll with it. many times the lemonade turns out to be better than the lemons.
Posted By: colomojo Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 06/02/09 04:11 PM
well said sweetjane
Posted By: Gela Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 06/02/09 05:58 PM
If Interval International isn't accommodating you - you have every right to ask for your week deposit to be re-instated, to be used at a later time. They should also extend the deposit date to this month, not when you first deposited/confirmed last year (this effects when your deposit expires).

It's obvious that the Resort and II were not communicating, so II confirmed your reservation during the resorts closure period. I wonder when Belize Legacy determined their closure dates for 2009. Perhaps after you received your confirmation last year? They probably should share the blame. But that's really not solving your issue, as other have mentioned.

As sweetjane suggests, take advantage of some great properties on Ambergris Caye and surrounding areas, they would love your business and offer great discounts during slow season.

Embrace the challenge and find yourself another great place!

Good luck.
Posted By: Gela Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 06/03/09 05:24 PM
To add to my above post regarding Brahama Blue - II should be able to put you into a two bedroom unit September 5 - 12. I just checked II and they have "Getaways" available during that week for both 1 and 2 bedroom units. Brahama looks like a fine place - and not really far from activities as others have commented.
Strangely, II has "getaways" at Brahma Blue, Captain Morgan's and Costa Maya for various dates in the next 6 months, but no "exchanges". Go figure. There are a total of 7 AC properties with II.
Posted By: Gela Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 06/03/09 08:51 PM
Yes Moose, I find it strange too. Guess they want to see real dollars rather than exchanges.
Posted By: Gela Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 06/03/09 09:46 PM
I guess before I recommend a hotel, I should visit it. I have not been to Brahama Blue so cannot really recommend it. I can recommend Xanadu, one of my favorite places which would be perfect for two couples on a week holiday.
Originally Posted by Moose in Belize
Strangely, II has "getaways" at Brahma Blue, Captain Morgan's and Costa Maya for various dates in the next 6 months, but no "exchanges". Go figure. There are a total of 7 AC properties with II.

In order for a timeshare resort to have an exchange, a timeshare owner at their resort must "bank" their week with the exchange company. They do this when they would prefer to go somewhere else that year. They then see what is available for them elsewhere. All timeshare resorts also have rooms for rent so to speak and for the above mentioned reason may not have any exchange at a particular time
Posted By: Gela Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 06/04/09 04:53 AM
Tricky - Totally understand how timeshares and II work. I think that there's more to the story than meets the eye (for Brahma Blue). I just hope that the posters find an alternative place to stay.
Posted By: kdskis2 Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 06/05/09 05:19 PM
I cannot get the deal with getaways. Not listed for Brahma for us with II. I checked yesterday. We have to have someone to deposit a 2br there to get a 2br at Brahma or anyone else as someone above has mentioned. Costa Maya is the only one that has getaways and we would prefer not to stay there and it is more expensive than what we would pay closer in town on our own accord. As it is, Brahma sounds great for us, have spoken with Gladys there multiple times via emails and looking forward to our trip there. Our friends have opted to get there own place so it has worked out just fine for us. Maybe another trip we can stay at Legacy. We may boat ride over to see the place, however. Can we access the beach at Legacy even though they will be closed(from the water)??? Anyone??
Posted By: sweetjane Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 06/06/09 12:23 PM
all beaches are public.
Posted By: Niklauryn Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 06/08/09 12:12 AM
I am in the process of trying to track dates and times...when did II find out Legac was closing...I was told last week that they knew in January (by Joshua at II.)_ that this resort would not be open at that time..Is that true?? We are going to try to plea to someone for some kind of response. Call II every other day...no one returns out calls. Who have you contacted in II that I can also write a letter/email to. Belize Legacy has been great to us, but we are looking at 600.00 in airline fees because no one told us about this resort closing after we were booked last year in December, 2008 for September 2009 visit. Airlines are charging to change tickets...Any help you can give us will be GREATLY appreciated...Thank you...Rich
Posted By: Gela Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 06/08/09 09:47 PM
niklauryn, have you been calling II on their 800 #? Perhaps you can get a real person on the phone that can help you rather than wait to be called back if you call them on their Exchange Services toll line: 305-666-1884. There is a customer support phone number: 305-668-3414 or a customer relations email: [email protected].

Their hours vary depending on the day of the week: M-F 9am - 11:00pm EDT, Sat,Sun,Hol 10am-8pm.
Posted By: kdskis2 Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 06/09/09 09:00 PM
I called the customer relations number. Not much help. We are just on a priority wait list.
Posted By: Gela Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 06/10/09 03:55 PM
I'm amazed at II's reaction. Perhaps you should write to HQ. Also, one other thought - did you buy their insurance when you purchased the exchange?
Posted By: Niklauryn Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 06/13/09 03:13 AM
I bought the insurance when I exchanged, but I have $5000.00 in flights that are going to cost $600.00 to exchange and II doesn't know what to do about that problem!! Everytime I call Joshua in Customer Service says he will e-mail his supervisor, Mark and have him call me...that was over a week ago...we call every week, they never return the call. CRAZY SITUATION!!! One more call this week and I am writing HQ if they donot call back.
Posted By: Niklauryn Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 06/13/09 03:17 AM
Thanks for the info. I call and speak with Joshua every week. Joshua is going to get someone to call or e-mail us...no one has responded to our requests. Will try the e-mail..Thanks so much.
Posted By: Niklauryn Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 06/27/09 10:34 PM
Anyone had any luck with this trip? We are still with flights and no where to stay...Capt. Morgans is closed at the same time. We need 2 bedrooms so it would be pricey to pay for a week...

Anyone else who booked with II lucky enough to get a replacement place for Legacy with II?? Rich and Mari
Tranquility Bay Resort has two bedroom units. We are not part of any time shares but if you are looking for a hotel we have a summer special on! www.tranquilitybayresort.com

Carlos
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 06/29/09 05:41 PM
Carlos - Good info on Tranquility Bay's summer deals. I see it has been posted in the "specials" category. Great prices for such a special place!
Posted By: Niklauryn Re: Belize Legacy closed for "remodeling" - 06/30/09 05:37 PM
Carlos, thank you for your reply. I will definately check out your summer specials.

We were contacted by II yesterday and they have us confirmed into Costa Maya Reef resort, in a two bedroom unit. Can you give me some info. on that resort? We did not accept this confirmation yet and do have to get back with II before Monday.

Thanks again...Rich and Mari
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board