AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Peter Jones Internet performance - 05/13/09 11:41 PM
Everyone I know is experiencing very poor internet service, with any page loading maybe one time in five attempts. Does anyone know if this is down to BTL's latest VoIP-blocking antics? Maybe in their enthusiasm for blocking people wanting to do something not to BTL's profit they've "inadvertently" introduced a bottleneck. The service is now completely unacceptable. Is this what we can now look forward to for the future?
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Inteith arnet performance - 05/14/09 12:11 AM
My BTL DSL is working perfectly as usual...
Posted By: Barnacle Re: Inteith arnet performance - 05/14/09 01:59 AM
i had intermittent problems for months, and since i couldn't find anything wrong with my system i blamed BTL.
i asked them to come look and they found a tree had grown between me and the tower, blocking the line-of-site to the tower.
raised the antenna 10 feet and now am back to great service!
Posted By: Tracker Re: Inteith arnet performance - 05/14/09 02:52 AM
Is BTL's DSL service available on the North of the island, up as far as Portofino?
Posted By: Caye Connect Re: Inteith arnet performance - 05/14/09 04:10 AM
Originally Posted by Tracker
Is BTL's DSL service available on the North of the island, up as far as Portofino?

BTL internet service (wired DSL) ends at Journey's End, about 2mi south of Portofino. Everything north is satellite-based.
Posted By: Peter Jones Re: Inteith arnet performance - 05/14/09 07:57 PM
It was unbelievably grim this morning up until around 11am, then suddenly improved so it's now equal to its most responsive. I wonder whether Coral Cable had severe equipment issues from the power outages that they've just resolved?
Posted By: Peter Jones Re: Internet performance - 05/14/09 08:27 PM
Could be either or both. But you can confirm with many others that the abysmal performance yesterday and this morning was a fact.
Posted By: Peter Jones Re: Internet performance - 05/14/09 08:32 PM
Which pushes the balance of probabilities towards Coral Cable..... It was a remarkable coincidence though, hot on the heels of a quantum change by BTL in the way they "manage" our internet access,
Posted By: deadserious Re: Internet performance - 05/14/09 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by jesse
Please explain how you are enrolled in both or that they affect each other.
My BTL DSL service has been fine the whole time...

jesse, coral buys their service from BTL. So if BTL is having trouble, so will coral. But if coral is having trouble, that doesn't mean that BTL is having trouble.
Posted By: Peter Jones Re: Internet performance - 05/14/09 11:07 PM
There are at least two internet cafes in town all of whose customers were experiencing the same problem. Funnily enough I wasn't just talking about myself.
Posted By: Peter Jones Re: Internet performance - 05/14/09 11:11 PM
Yes, well you're on BTL and I think I'll have to change back to it. I used to use BTL but changed to CC when BTL performance hit a low, several years ago. I just don't like the idea of putting more money than absolutely necessary into Mr. Ashcroft's pocket.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board