AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: mik Food - 05/16/09 06:24 PM
We were on Ambergris last week, 4 adults 2 kids. We rented a house with a full kitchen,planed on eating a number of meals at the house. Buying food in S.P. is really expensive. My brother brought a ice chest with him from L.A. He had packed some food items in it. He just put it through with the rest of his checked baggage. Had my wife and i known just how expensive food was we would have done the same. Just things like peanut butter, jelly, ketchup, snacks, tin foil etc. may seem like small stuff but with 6 people it seemed we were at the store everyday for something. We spent alot of money. A cooler on wheels and nothing got broke plus you fill it back up with all the things you bought there to take back with you.
Posted By: deadserious Re: Food - 05/16/09 06:49 PM
I don't find buying food here expensive at all, so long as you avoid the snacks you normally might eat in the US and instead eat stuff made locally.
Posted By: mik Re: Food - 05/16/09 07:13 PM
We must have shopped at the wrong places because the food items we bought were very expensive. We wanted baked potatoes for dinner one night and the bag cost us 22.00 u.s. dollars. The booze was also super expensive. We couldn't find a bottle for under 46.00 u.s. We finally were told about the beer distributor so that helped because we did go through alot of beer. I do understand why it's so expensive. But for us, the next time we will bring a cooler. And there will be a next time. We've been to alot of places and Ambergris was one of the best times we have ever had, we had a blast.
Posted By: collyk Re: Food - 05/16/09 07:35 PM
It really depends on where you shopped Mik. The local shops such as Marina's, San Pedrano, Superbuy and La Davinia Providencia just to name a few, are where locals shop and you can find real bargains if you look for them. Yes, there are some things that are outrageously expensive but those tend to be imported items. Buy local, eat local and save yourself a mint. Keep in mind that there are supermarkets here that cater specifically to tourists and set their prices accordingly. You rarely see a local person shopping in them. I can't even imagine paying $90 plus for a bottle of booze (three of us can go out, get drunk and eat a pizza for that price) especially, as Jesse says, when the local rum is so inexpensive and beer by the crate is a reasonable price. If you felt you needed to buy imported booze, well you certainly did pay for the privilege.

Posted By: deadserious Re: Food - 05/16/09 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by mik
We must have shopped at the wrong places because the food items we bought were very expensive.

If you shopped at the Island Supermarket, then yes, you shopped at the wrong places.

But it also sounds like you also bought the wrong items. Buy local and from the right stores, it's actually very reasonable and cheaper than in the US for many things.

On my first trip, I made the mistake of buying a case of Diet Dr. Pepper, my drink of choice, from the Island Supermarket. They charged me $48 US. I've since learned that the Island Supermarket screws tourists over in many different ways (don't rent a cart from them). I'm sure there are other places that either are just more expensive or are overtly trying to screw over a tourist.

Next time, shop at Super Buy and the local street vendors. Buy a whole roasted chicken and tortillas and salsa (all very cheap) and shell out a bit for some cheese (not cheap) and have chicken quesedillas for a snack instead of Doritos. Better and better for you too.

Also, avoid diet sodas altogether. They can't make them in the country so are very expensive. Since they use pure cane sugar in their sodas, they are much healthier than the US counterparts anyway and taste so much better. Drink them in moderation and with all the extra exercise, you don't notice a difference.

Just making a few changes to your habits while you are here can yield a very affordable trip.
Posted By: skippy Re: Food - 05/16/09 07:37 PM
Of course it's very expensive for food there. The same people who will tell you it's not here can be found in other threads agreeing with you. The only thing consistent about food price threads is their inconsistency.

Veggies from the roadside stalls are a good deal.

Obviously, some alcohol is a good deal, certainly not beer however.

I like to grocery shop, at home and away, so I know of what you speak, and you are right. But with experience there, you start to pare down the costs, learn what to buy and how. Chicken and pork and some seafood is reasonable. Eggs are cheap. Beans and noodles are cheap. Chips are cheap. The french bakery is cheap and fantastic! Stay away from beef because of quality and price.

I've begun bringing a few items I cannot find there, or which are prohibitively expensive, in my second small checked luggage. Black strap molasses, quality rice vinegar, PB and J as you mention, higher quality mixed nuts, marmite, crunchy frogs (only the finest baby frogs, dew-picked and flown from Iraq, cleansed in finest-quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope and lovingly frosted with glucose). Stuff like that.
Posted By: windyw Re: Food - 05/16/09 11:42 PM
I found a place on front st. called the Happy Vegtable last trip, great produce & very clean, next to the Internet place I believe.
I've been bringing a cooler for many yrs. I put a few snacks & breakables in it & fill it full of Marie Shahps & Rum when I leave. Theres a lady that sells some of the best Bar-B-Q chicken I ever ate right in front of Richies Market. I get good lunches at Los Coco's (chicken-fish or pork chops)with beans & rice for $5. I found Ak Bol last trip also, great cheap food & bar with pool, first pier N. of the Palapa Bar & my new favorite hang out.
Street vendors are all good fast food!!

J DOG
Posted By: collyk Re: Food - 05/16/09 11:54 PM
If you just go back to Middle Street you'll find the Greenhouse, which was the original greengrocer, that in my opinion is a much better quality shop, in the location that Happy Vegetable now lives. You'll also find Big Tree produce, which is fantastic. For even better prices, head south to Maria's vegetable and fruit stand directly opposite Belize Yacht Club.
Posted By: Monel Re: Food - 05/17/09 01:51 PM
Maria makes the most awesome juices - She does me a watermelon/papaya/banana mix and it's just a taste sensation of vitamin C goodness smile
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board