AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: BillH Trip to see Pyramids? - 01/23/03 05:22 AM
Can anyone suggest a tour on the mainland which can be done in a day to visit some pyramids? We are staying on the Island but want to spend 1 day visiting some of the pyramids if that can be done in a day trip. Thanks! -BillH
Posted By: Mexicana Re: Trip to see Pyramids? - 01/23/03 06:09 AM
Hola,

I believe they are called Mayan RUINS, but whatever? The closest are probably Altun Ha I think about 15-17 miles from Belize City... Lan is the real expert on that...ARE YOU OUT THERE LAN??
Posted By: Big Frank Re: Trip to see Pyramids? - 01/23/03 05:05 PM
Lamanai ruins with Tanishi tours was the highlight of my trip. A long 10-12 hour day but completely worth it--<$100 US, not counting some very nice opportunities for hand-made crafts. Bring cash if you want to buy. Seaduced also goes and I heard v. good things about them. No modern facilities[read toilets], I think my wife was glad she didn't go.
Posted By: Big Frank Re: Trip to see Pyramids? - 01/23/03 05:06 PM
I forgot--they will pick you up on your dock, or at Texaco dock, and leave from AC.
Posted By: klcman Re: Trip to see Pyramids? - 01/24/03 02:11 AM
Tanisha is the only way to go in my book
Posted By: gailtor Re: Trip to see Pyramids? - 01/24/03 04:08 AM
Hey Bill Great name you have there.. My father was Bill and that is also my son's name.

Tropic Air also offers (or at least they did) either a one day trip OR an overnite trip to Tikal (Guatemala). Tikal is wonderful!! I have been there twice already and want to go again. Last time I was there, we actually stayed at the resort right beside the park. It was fabulous, especially hearing the jungle sounds at nite including the howler monkeys.

I have also been on the Altun Ha trip from AC and although the scale is much smaller, it is a great adventure, travelling up the river and along the 'roads' to the site. We stopped at the Maruba Spa / Resort for lunch too. They were all out of the Royal Rat on the lunch menu but we did have the opportunity to taste :p the Viper Rum! Have you been to Chichen Itza in Mexico? Fabulous... So much history at any of the sites.

Four more days and I will be back in Belize for another visit..

Be careful.. Belize and the Mayan Ruins are addictive.. cool

Cheers Gail
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board