AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: ed50 Segway "scooter" use - 01/03/10 04:12 AM
We were on the beach late like 9 pm a few days before Christmas and were passed between las terrazas and capt morgans,about 15 min apart by two guys on segway scooters, which were doing quite well over the sea weed and trash along that part.

Were those people officials of any type?
Posted By: papashine Re: Segway "scooter" use - 01/03/10 02:31 PM
They were official segway scooter daredevils, prob on there way to a motorcross tourney.
Posted By: Phil Re: Segway "scooter" use - 01/03/10 02:48 PM
Sad to see the word trash so casually in the sentence.
Posted By: sweetjane Re: Segway "scooter" use - 01/03/10 02:54 PM
but unfortunately the shoe fits, phil - particularly up north. we were stunned by the amount of trash we saw while walking the beach above 5 miles north last year. we never saw beach trash in CR - none - with miles & miles of beaches. we did see a dude cleaning trash one day though.

sorry for the hijack - yeah, segways. can anyone, no matter who, look cool riding a segway?
Posted By: Phil Re: Segway "scooter" use - 01/03/10 03:01 PM
Yep if you look you'll always find a shoe that might fit.....

It must be the current Jane rather than Costa Rica do a better job at cleaning up, as it's isn't all Belizean rubbish.
Posted By: papashine Re: Segway "scooter" use - 01/03/10 03:07 PM
Call me crazy but the trash on the beach was there 20 years ago and the amount doesn't seem to change, no more, no less, and I agree with Phil it is coming from everywhere not just Belize.
Posted By: sweetjane Re: Segway "scooter" use - 01/03/10 03:18 PM
good point & point taken, phil - the geography is indeed different. also the population on the CR east coast is very small with way fewer tourists then AC. maybe the reef traps it closer to shore?

that said, they really do take much better care of their refuse there in general. more awareness of their environment. no trash on the backstreets, no trash on main, access roads or highways. if someone sees trash, they pick it up (how novel!!) rural PV had no recycling program, so they started a volunteer one on their own. offhand, even driving cross country twice and throughout san jose, i can't recall seeing trash there anywhere at all. can't say that about mainland bz. papa - i remember San Ig in 2000, and 2 guys looking at me like i was totally nuts when i picked up the trash i watched them throw on the ground at the park & put it in the bin. just saying....

i not implying i prefer one place over the other (i truly love them both, and each has + & -), they are just quite different.

ok, back to segways...
Posted By: ed50 Re: Segway "scooter" use - 01/03/10 04:12 PM
cr = costa rico?
what is pv?

and seems a segway would suffer from the salt in the beach sand. an expensive machine to use on the beach

Posted By: ed50 Re: Segway "scooter" use - 01/03/10 04:19 PM
some of the trash does look old- rusted car tire with rim 6 ft above the high water mark for example
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Segway "scooter" use - 01/03/10 04:59 PM
Try to find a matching pair of shoes in that trash - I dare you !!

The "other" shoe never seems to be near it's match on AC.
Posted By: Peter Jones Re: Segway "scooter" use - 01/03/10 06:08 PM
If anyone finds a green Croc, right foot, size 9-11, it's mine!
Posted By: papashine Re: Segway "scooter" use - 01/03/10 06:49 PM
Or if someone finds a right foot size 9-11 inside a croc...we told you it was a bad idea!
Posted By: rockfish Re: Segway "scooter" use - 01/03/10 07:03 PM
Does seem to be less trash in town with the new trash cans around. Money well spent.

Just finished making a nice bowl out of a float I found on the beach.
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Segway "scooter" use - 01/03/10 07:15 PM
Peter, I lost a Black one last year size 9 - still looking for it. frown
Posted By: krehfish Re: Segway "scooter" use - 01/03/10 11:26 PM
The Segway use was just a couple of guys from Cayo Espanto slummin' it.
Posted By: Short Re: Segway "scooter" use - 01/04/10 01:18 AM
We believe that across our sea live one legged people, because you always find one shoe, never a pair.
Posted By: martyu Re: Segway "scooter" use - 01/04/10 06:59 AM
would be great to have the local tourist board have a clean up week, and offer real money for each bag collected, or have the resorts sponsor simalar event,novel idea.
Posted By: tacogirl Re: Segway "scooter" use - 01/04/10 01:38 PM
Here is another (old) trash related thread talking about how some of it washed up from Guatemala also heard some comes from Hondouras //ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/21811/1.html
Posted By: rockfish Re: Segway "scooter" use - 01/04/10 03:47 PM
Back to the Segway. I think there is a Seaway rental place just past the airport on the right going south.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: Segway "scooter" use - 01/04/10 06:02 PM
Correct!
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: Segway "scooter" use - 01/04/10 06:02 PM
It's across from Island Academy....or used to be.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board