AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: elbert Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/13/10 06:47 PM
[Linked Image]
Posted By: elbert Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/13/10 06:48 PM
[Linked Image]
5 min. ago
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/13/10 07:40 PM
wow.
Posted By: suecate Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/13/10 07:40 PM
cool
That must be John Mc Havin a great time.
Posted By: elbert Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/13/10 08:13 PM
I don't think its john he was in town just min.'s before.
Posted By: Peter Jones Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/13/10 08:39 PM
But it does turn out they are his.
Posted By: Otteralum Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/13/10 08:44 PM
Like!
Posted By: elbert Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/13/10 08:59 PM
looks like big fun!
Flying Golf Carts :-)
Posted By: SFJeff Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/13/10 09:20 PM
John and the pilots have been working laboriously the last year with the GOB/Tropic/Maya to get everything in order so that they can start doing offering tours with these aircraft... which is WONDERFUL for us and any/all tourist who visit the Caye. I've had the great fortune to go up with one of their pilots. The experience is nothing short of incredible. It's an AMAZING way to experience flight. Simply put, a must do.

'Ever envious when you saw a frigate bird lazily swooping overhead? Here's your answer.

Posted By: Peter Jones Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/13/10 09:29 PM
What about self-drive rental to qualified pilots? After an appropriate checkout, of course.
Suicidal!
Posted By: AT602 Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/14/10 04:05 AM
pilots that fly real airplanes don't fly these things. they are a step back in aviation history.
Posted By: Candice Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/14/10 09:22 AM
Or a step forward. These are way more advanced than a Cessna 182 for example. Can safely take positive 6g, negative 3g. Fully instrumented with transponders, glass cockpit, etc. 500 mile range. Max speed 120, stalls at 20. Takes off in 175 feet. Dual ignition engine, water cooled. Climb rate 2,000 fpm.

These are the equivalent of flying motorcycles. They are no more a step backwards from current aviation technology than motorcycles were a step backwards from cars. They a simply a step in a different direction. They are for sport flying. The only difference is that it takes twice as long to learn to fly one than it takes to fly a fixed wing aircraft.
Posted By: elbert Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/14/10 02:42 PM
Don't forget the Big Fun part!
When has flying ever been like this!
Posted By: cracked up Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/14/10 06:51 PM
You are joking of course
Posted By: hazzyy Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/17/10 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by elbert
[Linked Image]
5 min. ago

Wow...had no idea they could fly so low and keep lift. I wonder if they've thought about offering "Ultra Light Trolling". "Your once in a lifetime experience to reel in a big baracuda while gliding just feet off of the beautiful waters of Ambergris Caye"!!!!
Posted By: elbert Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/17/10 03:22 PM
He was even lower but I didn't get that shot quick enough.
Probably deserves the caption 'Don't try this at home'.
Posted By: krehfish Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/17/10 07:56 PM
Do these have good mufflers? The one's around here are incredibly annoying.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/17/10 08:03 PM
These ones aren't too noisy - not as annoying as jet skis.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/17/10 08:22 PM
Kinda noisy here by the airstrip...like a large mosquito
Posted By: reaper Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/17/10 08:40 PM
That would be fun to jump out of!
Posted By: cracked up Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/18/10 02:52 PM
one here didn't get hi enough to use the chute
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/18/10 05:36 PM
OH - you could jump but wouldn't need a shute. That would bring a new meaning to "take one giant stride" into the water.
Or maybe you could do a back roll entry. LOL
Posted By: ragman Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/18/10 06:06 PM
The Ultralights look like fun and I enjoyed watching them over the reef up north the other day. They are a little noisy and you definitely know they are around.

These are serious machines which could be very dangerous if some thing goes wrong and that means over the water or land. I would not want to be in one if it decided not to fly for what ever reason.

Years ago, I'm sure they are better now, a brother to an engineer I worked with was killed when his ultralight came down after its engine stalled. Even hitting the water would be tough from most heights and they don't look too buoyant to me.

Still they look like fun, but I think I'll pass for now.
Posted By: Freezer Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/18/10 10:21 PM
I agree with ragman big time, flying lawn chairs scare the hell out of me.
Posted By: Peter Jones Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/18/10 10:58 PM
Even without the prop turning they still glide quite well. There must have been something else wrong. Not that I'd want to come down in the water anyway.
Posted By: CindyO Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/19/10 12:14 AM
Is this the same type aircraft that John Denver died in?
Posted By: SimonB Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/19/10 12:40 AM
No. John Denver died in one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutan_Long-EZ
Posted By: Daemyon Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/19/10 01:10 AM
Do they still have that daylight flying restriction for all of Belize? I know they never used to allow pilots to operate legally in their airspace after dusk(without prior permission.
Posted By: Peter Jones Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/19/10 01:19 AM
Tropic and Maya often operate after dark.
Posted By: tcoats Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/19/10 03:34 AM
I read that the Tropic and Maya pilots took training recently so that they could operate after dark.
Posted By: Peter Jones Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/19/10 03:02 PM
People might be interested in this

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6993677.ece
Posted By: cracked up Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/19/10 03:55 PM
"To equip myself for the worst possible scenario I have a life raft, I have satellite positioning equipment, a distress beacon and a radio. My friends and family are very, very supportive, but they think I am criminally insane."

Not sure about the "criminally" part, but going ifr on a lawnchair with a motor and sail strapped to it is definately insane.
Posted By: benning Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/19/10 06:11 PM
Looks like fun to me, I can't wait! Couldn't have a better place for it! How much are they charging and where can you go? I see all kinds of sharks and rays and sometimes manatees on the way over to SP from Belize City on Tropic or Maya. Would be great to get a bit closer aerial view! Can you imagine just hanging out up there 10 feet off the water?! Open cockpit?! Must be incredible! Looking forward to it.
Posted By: Freezer Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/19/10 11:58 PM
Just as a matter of interest, search and rescue fly at a minimum of (not sure) 700 feet AGL because you can't see anything less than that. The ground moves by too quickly.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 01/20/10 12:03 AM
Depends on speed..slower is better
Posted By: james and rina Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 02/02/10 01:43 AM
We will be in SP in March? Would love to try a flight... how much?
Posted By: GwenA Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 02/03/10 03:06 AM
Did anyone really pay attention to the few people that say they are noisy? They are incrediblly noisy. Today one flew just above roof level over my house heading out to the reef, and we were afraid we needed to take cover. I suggest they don't fly over our houses, and make the turn out to the reef beyond the end of the runway, like the real planes. I sure wouldn't want something to go wrong, as a few people have suggested and have one slam into my house. Bah Humbug.
Posted By: TravelinMan1 Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 02/03/10 03:44 AM
are the pilots commercial rated (which means that they are allowed to carry passengers for money)? Also is it legal for them to fly at these low altitudes? do they carry a life vest?
Posted By: JeanH Re: Ultra Light Fun on Ambergris Caye - 02/03/10 04:29 AM
I think they're noisy too. They fly right over the top of us multiple times during the day.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board