AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Shazam Bike / Golf Cart Rentals on AC - 02/06/10 12:53 AM

I'll be staying on Ambergris Caye (first time)in April.
Looking for suggestions on places to rent a couple of bikes or possibly a golf cart for our week long stay. We'll be on the north end of the island about 3mi from town.
Also should we have any safety concerns travelling the road after dark to and from town?
Lastly--we were thinking of doing a zip-line tour--any suggestions?

Thanks
Posted By: dunk Re: Bike / Golf Cart Rentals on AC - 02/06/10 03:07 AM
from what i have heard you will be renting bikes.golf carts tend to stay to the south as the roads up north are very bad.
Posted By: elbert Re: Bike / Golf Cart Rentals on AC - 02/06/10 06:49 PM
I live in whats considered north and go to town about twice a day.
It seems just to easy to hop on the Coastal Express or Island Ferry, they come to the end of all the docks every hour and are cheap.
The dirt/mud road isn't worth a golf cart experience.
Biking along the beach path is cool.
Posted By: swanno Re: Bike / Golf Cart Rentals on AC - 02/06/10 10:44 PM
The golf cart "road" is OK as far as Grand Caribe after that is gets really rough. As Elbert said Coastal Express or Island Ferry is the way to go. Our condo is at Grand Caribe we use bikes most of the time up and down the beach path. If we go into town for the evening we bike into town and then at night we take Costal Express back with our bikes.

Colin
Posted By: Shazam Re: Bike / Golf Cart Rentals on AC - 02/09/10 01:06 AM
Excellent!
Thanks for ther advice--what time does the last boat leave SP heading north?
Also can we rent bikes in town?
Posted By: swanno Re: Bike / Golf Cart Rentals on AC - 02/09/10 01:31 AM
Not entirely sure since we are never out late. I think the last ferry leaves about 11.30 or about 1am at the weekends check with Coastal Express
You can rent bikes at Joes if you are coming from the North its first right after Police Station/BTL just before you get to Pirates Pizza
Posted By: Shazam Re: Bike / Golf Cart Rentals on AC - 02/09/10 06:41 AM
Thanks!!!
Posted By: KwikWalk Re: Bike / Golf Cart Rentals on AC - 02/09/10 07:52 PM
Also note that the bridge over the cut is $5 U.S. for a round trip over it. So between that, the cart, the distance, and the roads you are probably better off with the water taxis.

I heard there are private water taxis going well into the night, but you should check with the place you're staying at to see if there's a complementary one during regular hours.
Posted By: Shazam Re: Bike / Golf Cart Rentals on AC - 02/10/10 05:24 PM
So is there a $5 charge for walking or riding a bike over the bridge?
And if so is it $5 per person?
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Bike / Golf Cart Rentals on AC - 02/10/10 05:43 PM
Walking is free. I think it is $1Bz each way for a bike.
Posted By: Peter Jones Re: Bike / Golf Cart Rentals on AC - 02/10/10 06:04 PM
I'd check with your resort to see if they have bikes. Quite a few do.

You'll find the ride to/from town a bit long the first time, but thereafter quite a breeze. And there are lots of good bars to stop at along the way! Best have a flashlight with you that actually light your path, even though if it's really dark you may end up walking and pushing the bikes. I've often made that trip after dark.
Posted By: ghbyram Re: Bike / Golf Cart Rentals on AC - 03/09/10 02:51 AM
My wife is not going to like this ... running around in golf carts is one of her favorite parts of our trips down there. We will be there on Saturday with the kids and are staying up North at Captain Morgans.
Posted By: hazzyy Re: Bike / Golf Cart Rentals on AC - 03/09/10 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by ghbyram
My wife is not going to like this ... running around in golf carts is one of her favorite parts of our trips down there. We will be there on Saturday with the kids and are staying up North at Captain Morgans.

Before you ruin your wife's trip...You can take golf carts up north if you can handle the roads. We do it quite a bunch. Like it was said earlier, after Grand Caribe the roads deteriorate and get much more bumpy and sometimes wet, but very do-able (sp). And again, like it was said before, it is $5 USD each way/ $10 R/T to cross the bridge. But once you are in town the golf cart is good to go. From my personal experience I would say it takes about 15-20 minutes from the bridge to Grand Caribe and another 20 to Captain Morgan's.
Posted By: elbert Re: Bike / Golf Cart Rentals on AC - 03/09/10 03:04 PM
The road gets better and better , but still a dirt road and the rain often closes it from puddles to deep and mud.
The Coastal Express service was good and now is even better. cheaper , running regular and on time. it just can't be beat.
Posted By: Brandon C Re: Bike / Golf Cart Rentals on AC - 03/09/10 03:21 PM
Is there a monthly or yearly pass for the bridge?
Posted By: swanno Re: Bike / Golf Cart Rentals on AC - 03/09/10 03:25 PM
Monthly golf cart pass for the bridge is available from the town hall on Front Street it costs BZ150 for the month. So if you are doing more than 15 round trips per month it makes sense to get one
Posted By: tcoats Re: Bike / Golf Cart Rentals on AC - 03/09/10 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by hazzyy
Originally Posted by ghbyram

Before you ruin your wife's trip...You can take golf carts up north if you can handle the roads. We do it quite a bunch. Like it was said earlier, after Grand Caribe the roads deteriorate and get much more bumpy and sometimes wet, but very do-able (sp). And again, like it was said before, it is $5 USD each way/ $10 R/T to cross the bridge. But once you are in town the golf cart is good to go. From my personal experience I would say it takes about 15-20 minutes from the bridge to Grand Caribe and another 20 to Captain Morgan's.

I'm pretty sure it is $5 BZ each way/ $10 BZ R/T, rather than USD. (Just to clarify for newbies...)
Posted By: hazzyy Re: Bike / Golf Cart Rentals on AC - 03/09/10 05:12 PM
Ahhh...sorry...I think you're right.
Posted By: HOT_Card Re: Bike / Golf Cart Rentals on AC - 03/09/10 07:19 PM
A couple of the golf cart companies are now asking renters to sign a waiver if they go further than Grand Caribe, which basically says you will be financially liable for any damage and should you require towing there will be a fee charged to get you back to town.
Posted By: champion Re: Bike / Golf Cart Rentals on AC - 03/09/10 07:32 PM
When we were there in Feb, we drove a six seater all the way to the Blue reef where the road ended then to the beach and farther north a long ways. Once we were about half a mile north of Capt Morgans the road became better than than the road south of town. That was a total of 8 miles north of Morgans, and only about a half a mile of bad road.
Posted By: DeeDeeuz Re: Bike / Golf Cart Rentals on AC - 03/11/10 08:11 PM
We were on AC the beginning of February and stayed at the Caye Villas 4.5 miles north. We rented a golf cart and had no problems at all. There are only a couple of areas that the road is quite bumpy but it is all doable. We even went at night in the dark and again had no problems. There were five of us so I think it was cheaper to rent the cart then go on the water taxis or private taxi. I would much prefer to rent the cart and be able to come and go as you please. We also could travel around up north as we pleased. I didn't think the road was bumpy - you just go slow and there is no problem. The cart company dropped off and picked up and no problem there.
Posted By: CaptOneIron Re: Bike / Golf Cart Rentals on AC - 03/11/10 08:41 PM
All I will say is that you were lucky. I live North of where you stayed and sometimes the entire road is underwater in places and a regular golf cart is very likely to get stranded. So, let the (current) condition of the road, the weather, and your taste for adventure be your guide.
Posted By: ghbyram Re: Bike / Golf Cart Rentals on AC - 03/23/10 02:57 AM
UPDATE: grabbed some bikes and checked out the road when we got there on 13-Mar and quickly decided to rent a cart. Momma and kids were happy. We've seen and driven it in much worse condition. Of the 4 times we've been there (over about 9 years) I actually think it was the best overall condition that I've ever seen the road. You won't (errr ... shouldn't) have the pedal to the metal the whole way though.

It is true that many rental companies are wary of having their carts go up North -- but somebody will eventually take your money. Just be responsible and you won't have any problems.

The cart toll is $5BZ ($10BZ round trip).
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board