AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: zing fishin' in Belize - 02/11/10 06:37 PM
Anybody do aany DYI fishin' around ambergris??? I would love to hire a guide (I am a fishin' guide myself,in Alaska, and Northern MN) but due to my profession I can't afford to. I am comin' down to Belize toward the beginnin' of april and wonder if there are places to go in belize where I can fish on my own without a boat. Or maybe find a boat rental??
Posted By: hansen Re: fishin' in Belize - 02/12/10 06:12 AM
Renting a boat is out of the question. You would need a belize captain's license and that you can't get that without being a land owner. (plus it is dangerous to drive around the island without intimate knowledge of coral hazards)

You can fish off of most docks for small snapper and other small stuff. The very south tip of the island is a pretty good spot if you are up for a bike ride / cart trip.

Or, you can also rent a kayak and fish right on the reef for snapper and barracuda.

To get the big stuff, you will need to hire a boat though.
Posted By: captjeff Re: fishin' in Belize - 02/12/10 04:17 PM
No fishing boat rentels ,go to fishingsanpedro.com the prices for guides here are wonderful under $200 a half day with all the tackel, soda ,water ,fish cleaning A great vaule ..so unless you like to play capt .take a holiday and let one of the locals show you the real deal and you can be king for a day ..tight lines to you and good fishing ,if you like to fish this place will make you feel good ..
Posted By: SFJeff Re: fishin' in Belize - 02/12/10 05:50 PM
If you're talking about fly fishing, talk to either Abbie at GoFish www.gofishbelize.com or Jim at Tres Pescados fly shop http://www.belizefly.com

...there are spots on the front of the island where you wade w/ out a boat, mainly north of town. There is a pretty large flat just north of Journey's End that is definitely wadable...

Here's a link to a piece about walking the flats of Ambergris that originally appeared in American Angler: http://www.flatslander.com/skinflintsambergrisarticle.html

Posted By: Bill Mc Ghee Re: fishin' in Belize - 02/12/10 06:18 PM
That B.Craig Phillips article was one of the best, most comprehensive articles I have ever read on fishing the flats. and believe I have been fishing for almost 50 years and have read 1000's of articles.
Posted By: zing Re: fishin' in Belize - 02/12/10 07:50 PM
Thanks much for the info on the articles, Appreciate it!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board