AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: rosita Saga Financials - again - 06/17/10 01:43 AM
My name is Rosa LaRosa. I am the bookkeeper for Saga. A friend told me that there were questions out on a message board - I am new to this - so I scanned through some of the posts and was amazed at what I read. I am pretty well known in San Pedro, at least enough people could tell you how to reach me without problem. Pretty much every real estate agent in town knows how to get in touch with me, Peter Lawrence has called me - in fact one of only two people who ever have, with a question about Saga financials. My e-mail is [email protected]. Feel free to ask me if you have any questions.

To answer a couple of posts I saw: Vet income is the money Saga takes in from paying customers. Vet expense is the cost of payroll and other costs (like hospitalization overnights and emergency calls) paid to our vet, Laurie Droke, last year. One cancels out the other (pretty much) not doubling anything. Saga employed three people last year: a vet (Laurie), Ingrid the Clinic Manager and Noemi who is the shelter manager. With more animals this year, we have hired a third person, part time, who basically cleans up the kennels and yards at Ft. Dog and other daily maintenance tasks. The combined salaries of these three Belizean women is slightly less than Dr. Droke's salary. Believe me, there is no staff to cut.

I don't know what other concerns any of you may have, but you have my e-mail and no more excuses about not being able to get in touch. Also, our annual financials are filed with the Belizean Government and are open to the public, also published every September by the Government. If you really wanted the financials, people, why didn't you ask me? Instead of each other.

~ Rosa
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Saga Financials - again - 06/17/10 01:50 AM
Thanks very much Rosa!
Posted By: belizeonthebeach Re: Saga Financials - again - 06/17/10 02:02 AM
Thanks Rosa!
I wonder what direction the lynch mob will go now. Or who will be the next victim.
Thanks again.
Posted By: Inplub Re: Saga Financials - again - 06/17/10 02:14 AM
Thank you and welcome to the message board. I have a few questions so I will e-mail you later.

Thanks again. John
Posted By: Tim Callanan Re: Saga Financials - again - 06/17/10 03:39 AM
Thanks Rosa ! God Bless
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: Saga Financials - again - 06/17/10 05:13 AM
Some one who has their pulse on the situation comes forth....thanks so much Rosa!
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Saga Financials - again - 06/17/10 05:48 PM
Rosa thanks so much for making the whole situation more transparent and being available to clear up questions and misunderstandings.

Posted By: Peter Jones Re: Saga Financials - again - 06/17/10 07:31 PM
Rosa - I don't now if we have ever met, but I had a number of detailed questions on the Accounts to which I have added a few further points. I'll email you my questions and hope you can answer them.

If accounts for earlier years are in fact available, can they be published on the SAGA website? You have published the most recent two, but it would be very helpful to see earlier ones alongside on the same basis.
Posted By: Phil Re: Saga Financials - again - 06/17/10 10:00 PM
Still trying to get a run as the Saga accountant Peter? I think that boat sailed a while back.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Saga Financials - again - 06/17/10 10:38 PM
When I asked Saga last year if I could see the books they were immediately opened to me. There were some explanations needed on some items but for the most part they were fairly clear and seemed pretty straight forward and logical.

It is most likely that the recent 2 years of books are sufficient in order to formulate a budget and make projections - the world was a very different place 3 - 5 years ago.

Donations flow when everybody is high on the hog. When times are tough charitable donations dry up very quickly.

The budget will have to be suitable to manage and operate the shelter, but it looks like this year any new capital improvements or new projects will probably have to be put on the back burner this year since Saga hasn't been running a vet clinic since the end of last year.

I have every confidence that Rosa can manage the accounts, analyze the situation and make sensible and knowledgeable recommendations to the Board.
Posted By: Amir Re: Saga Financials - again - 06/17/10 10:59 PM
"Vet income is the money Saga takes in from paying customers. Vet expense is the cost of payroll and other costs (like hospitalization overnights and emergency calls) paid to our vet, Laurie Droke, last year. One cancels out the other (pretty much) not doubling anything." Rosa has made it clear that having a vet doesn't pay the rent and bills. Amanda is certainly correct that people cut back on donations during tough times.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board