AmbergrisCaye.com Home
So this morning we had the GREAT pleasure of meeting up with Vince and Cherie from ACES (American Crocodile Education Sanctuary) as they successfully captured, tagged and relocated two problem crocs north of town (the animals had been responsible for taking a number of domestic animals and it was judged they had gotten too acclimated to being in close proximity w/ people/activity.) One croc was a smaller (4 ft) female, the other a 9 ft 400-odd lb male. Despite no longer having a facility, Vince and Cherie are obviously motivated to keep ACES moving forward full steam ahead. Kudos to them!!! (and hat's off to croc-wrangler-in-training Chris as well!!!) It's a HUGE asset to have them work here on the island as, with more and more development happening, peacefully co-existing with these animals is something that is going to become a bigger and bigger challenge. We'll try to get some video and pics posted later today!!!

Super fun morning... I mean how often do you get to start your day off by having a 400lb croc pee all down your leg as you're helping carry it!!!!

I lost two dogs I was fond of this month and my neighbor lost one.
I live in this area and felt like this could of been what happened to them, but we need another group to capture and relocate the Butt-Crack Sprung-Heads that ride the beach swinging machetes at the dogs as well.
I cant be certain if it was the sprung-heads or the crocs.
PS Jeff ,didnt know you where into golden showers!:-)
The flip side to the coin is if you are cycling along the beach and a Dog attacks for no reason you have every right to defend yourself. I would and I'm a dog person. Hundreds of times I've watched dogs do this with their owners looking on and doing little to nothing. Train the Dog not to do it and it isn't a problem.

Bit of a hijack - good to see ACES in action again.

Jeff. You sure it was the croc that peed itself!?!?!?
Originally Posted by elbert
I lost two dogs I was fond of this month and my neighbor lost one.
I live in this area and felt like this could of been what happened to them, but we need another group to capture and relocate the Butt-Crack Sprung-Heads that ride the beach swinging machetes at the dogs as well.
I cant be certain if it was the sprung-heads or the crocs.

Maybe a better idea to relocate the Butt Crack Sprung-head owners that allow their dogs to run loose. After getting chased by a Rotti that wasn't giving up this week the bike is getting a new addition: sharp and shiny.
Too bad the owners are never within reach when this happens!
:-)
Perhaps you guys should start a new thread to discuss the intricacies of butt-crack sprung-heads...

Phil, yes, most assuredly it was the croc, uh... given the volume.
yep should be an interesting thread ;-)
Confusing

ACES= American Crocodile Education Santuary
ACES= Ambergris Caye Elementary School
Do we know where the crocs were relocated to?
I don't know but wouldn't it be nice to have a reserved area in the mangroves for that.
It could be a great tourist attraction and help preserve the mangroves as well.
It would be a protected habitat for this endangered species.
Tour guides would have a destination and someone could sell tickets...everyone could win!
Yes, that's exactly what I was hoping for. AC would be a great place for that.

Originally Posted by Chloe
Confusing

ACES= American Crocodile Education Santuary
ACES= Ambergris Caye Elementary School

Great job ACES (Ambergris Caye Elementary School), two problem crocs captured safely ----> Confusing? I wonder how many elementary schoolers it would take to wrangle a croc?
I have spoken to a lot of San Pedranos who are not happy about that idea especially if it means bring problem crocs to the island from the mainland
Originally Posted by pamkillen
if it means bring problem crocs to the island from the mainland

I do not want to speak for ACES, but I am quite sure that that is not the plan Pam. You should direct your question to Cherie and Vince.
Will do. Thanks
So happy they were able to accomplish this despite all the problems lately! I hope they come down and relocate the croc that's been hunting dogs down in San Pablo/DFC, I am ready to help if I can!!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board