AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: sunrisesky New Deli/ Bakery/ Pastry shop in town!!! - 12/04/10 06:10 PM
Mathieu's Delicatessen is now open on Middle Street, next to SMART and the Doctor, just up from the Police Station. It's run by Gunter Mathieu, the tall white haired German fella you'll have seen around San Pedro, famous for his breads, cakes, desserts and fine cooking.

They're open Mon - Sat from 6am to 2pm and are offering the usual breakfast goodies like eggs any way or omlettes that you can put into freshly baked croissants ($1!!!), or mix with ham on toast or bread. He's also making his own wholewheat breads, baguettes (plain and flavored with onion or garlic), cinnamon rolls and his "signature" cinnamon apple bread (with FRESH apples, not the canned variety!!!). They grind their own Guatemalan coffee too, and have some tables outside (nice for the smokers!).

They do lunches too - Gunter's handmaking his own pastas and lasagnes, and they (at last) do vegetarian options on the pastas and sauces. He's going to be doing lunch specials of filled ravioli with shrimp, a veggie option and a meat one. They're also doing roast beef sandwiches on the homemade bread and subs, with homemade flavored mayo, one veggie/ vegan one with hummous and salad and more! I tasted some of his handcut steak fries. The best!. They've got a facebook page and will have a website soon. Have a look at: www.facebook.com/mathieusdelicatessen where they've got the menu and message board. Very good feedback so far!
Posted By: sandyb Re: New Deli/ Bakery/ Pastry shop in town!!! - 12/04/10 08:53 PM
Great news. Welcome!!!
Posted By: SlimJim Re: New Deli/ Bakery/ Pastry shop in town!!! - 12/05/10 06:44 AM
Can't wait to try this when I visit. Did I read somewhere that you can bring your own Belikin to have outside with your lunch (or was I just imagining that?).
Slim, why would you bring your own Belikin, instead of buying one there? Or are is it that they don't sell Belikin and you want to have one with your lunch while you are there?
Posted By: SlimJim Re: New Deli/ Bakery/ Pastry shop in town!!! - 12/05/10 10:26 AM
Don't know - can anyone answer this?
They suggested this in another advert. They do not have a liquor license.
Posted By: Phil Re: New Deli/ Bakery/ Pastry shop in town!!! - 12/05/10 10:14 PM
It's good.
Tried the tomato garlic bread and liked it a lot. Heard a few people talking about the apple cinnamon one so that is next on my to try list.
Jesse's right - no liquor license - it's technically a deli shop and takeaway with four tables. Bring your own bottle - no opening fee or corkage charge.

In an effort to be more environmentally conscious they're also packaging in paper and don't have black plastic bags (or any bags other than recycled ones), and they'll give a water refill if you bring your own bottle for 50c.
The apple cinnamon bread is fabulous as french toast!
Hi All, Mathieu's Delicatessen here!
Most people know Gunter on the island, remember his yummy breads, cakes, desserts? And for those who remember Driftwood Lodge on Caye Caulker, he was the chef there too.

Please stop by and sample some of what we have at the deli, we are next to the Fire station (or SMART.... which doesn't seem to be open any more).

We have daily specials so check out our facebook page www.facebook.com/mathieusdelicatessen for menu, specials, blog and more.

We look forward to seeing you!
Posted By: GwenA Re: New Deli/ Bakery/ Pastry shop in town!!! - 12/07/10 11:32 PM
Buy a loaf of Gunter's bread, then hop down the street a block, and buy liverwurst at the German Butcher. Then make a sandwich at home with onions, pickle and mustard....of course after having a big snack at Gunter Mathieu's first!
Gwen That's sounds great ,you got that right it is the perfect combo but the bread has to be right . if it is it is the bomb .I got to try this place .Be down Jan will give it the capt Jeff taste test .not that I am the gospel,but I come from new york
where the real deal foodies foodie LOL. And I know hot from not
HI Gwen and Capt Jeff, please do come in and sample our lunch, today we have medaillons of Snook on tuna and shrimp. Yesterday Gunter cooked up some cobia with tuna carpaccio on a celery and balsamic salad, and some home made fries which went down a storm! Now, being from Germany isn't the same as being from NY.... and his partner Anna is from Wales, so we can't promise you NY fare, but it's most definitely European. By the way - we do "the Butcher" roastbeef sandwiches.... See you soon!
Come for breakfast! we have Special MONDAY 8-10AM: 2 FOR 1 BREAKFAST! $12 - "The Christina Breakfast" Freshly baked Wholewheat bread topped with cheese, ham and 2 fried eggs. Come and join us!
Haven't gotten there yet but mama says it is indead the bomb!
Posted By: GwenA Re: New Deli/ Bakery/ Pastry shop in town!!! - 12/12/10 08:58 PM
I'm coming back ASAP for the roast beef (with horseradish). I found out last week, you have to get there early for the sweet pastries. None the less, had this great brioche with chocolate that Gunter (probably smartly) called a chocolate muffin!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board