AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Cayemen Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/26/11 08:05 PM
Today we went to eat at a restaurant. Every time we go there we bring our dog with us. Today, a member of the town board and licensing board, complained and said it was against the law to bring dog(s) to a restaurant. He said something along the lines of: "I will come with some guys if there is dogs again here in this restaurant." He after wards told the waiter, that he will close down the restaurant if he sees dog(s) again in the restaurant.

My question is: is there really a law against bringing dogs, or any animals to restaurants, bars, beach bars or any other businesses?

What if the dog is belongs to the owner of the place and is always in the restaurant or bar? (Pedro's Inn)

I hope that someone know the answer to the question I ask, because it would be really sad for us, if we can't bring our dog to restaurants anymore and go for a walk after wards.
Posted By: GwenA Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/26/11 08:18 PM
I agree! I have always liked the dog friendliness of San Pedro! It's like where I come from in Annapolis. Open air restaurants welcome dogs so far in both places,,,,except some upscale places like BWG, and that's fine. Some restaurants have outside tables and dogs are welcome there, with some exceptions also.
I dislike when haughty politicians try to advance their personal agendas, when their constituents disagree, and the constituents are the ones the politicians represent!
Posted By: ExOkie Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/26/11 08:59 PM
I wonder if Charlie at Estel's knows about this ordinance? smile
Posted By: ron Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/26/11 09:42 PM
Many states in the US legislate no dogs in any commercial establishment that sells food. Something about the health code. Personally, when I go into a place that sells food I really don't want to see a dog set down on a counter or table. In the state of Connecticut the board of health will shut down the business if a dog is in it. It doesn't make a difference if they are in your arms or if you are the owner of the business. They also don't allow cats in restaurants for mice and rat control. That said I don't know about the law or health regs are in Belize. But I also agree the decision whether a pet can be in the restaurant or not shouldn't be decided by a local politician.
Posted By: GwenA Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/26/11 09:59 PM
Well, thanks Ron...we know where you stand. I like the local politician stance. But, have you ever considered the issue (you seem to know the rules).
As much as we don't want to think about it, the issue isn't cleanliness. Most of our wonderful restaurants go through the motions to clean, and clean our tables. But, let's get real, the beachfront open air environs we enjoy so much aren't clean by the standards you describe! There is sand under our feet, salt and sand in particluates blowing at us; and frankly, we don't care...we just want our dish from the kitchen to be clean. We want our food to be sanitary, and at an apropriately hot cooked temperature, stored previously in a very cold fridge!
We hope!
But, if a dog wanders by, under our nose...or is lying under the table, it won't change things much.
We turn our heads and just hope for the clean dish, hot enough food, and the cold fridge.
Posted By: ron Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/26/11 10:09 PM
Gwen, personally I go with whatever the local regulations allow. When I am in France the dog that sits at the table is fine. When I'm in CT or NY, I allow the local regulations dictate, no animals in a restaurant. I also prefer not to have smokers in a restaurant but again, not my call. If I don't like the ordinance I could work to change it. Or just obey the law but I do want to know the law.
Posted By: Barnacle Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/26/11 10:12 PM
we used to take our dog, Scurvy, to the dog-friendly bars around here. we would saddle up to the bar and let him go wander the outside areas. it was all just great, until.......
sitting there one day, a family from Iowa or somewhere having lunch a few tables over when here comes Scurvy. he strolls right in and spits out a kitten he just killed, big grin, tail just a waggin!
we both looked away and mumbled something about 'i don't know that dog, do you?'
since the area around that bar was infested with pregnant stray cats, we started going to a bar that was cat-free.
technically, it is against the food codes or whatever it is, for animals to be in restaurants but as with all rules, it seems easily bent.
personally, if they are not fighting, barking, drooling, got the squirts, fleas jumping off by the dozens, smell like dead pelican, killing kittens, peeing on everything, or just plain being nasty,, i enjoy them in the bars!
Posted By: GwenA Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/26/11 10:54 PM
Well, Ron, good! You will love it where the dogs hang in Annapolis. And I agree, when one is a traveler in the world, adhere to the local customs and laws. But, upon this board (I won't say locals, as I was taken to task about that by a non-local, aficionado) members, ahem, discuss the status-quo, despite local laws and puffed up members of the Town Board.

You didn't get the point about the dogs being cleaner than some of our restaurants.
Posted By: brotherbill Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/26/11 11:00 PM
well as far as i know even in a third world country a dog inside a restaraunt is a perfect reason not to support that establishment, its often been said the pet is only as intelligent as its owner,how much faith do we have in a total stranger,but at a patio it maybe fine but keep in mind the tension will be high aswell as the watchful eyes of others i would think
Posted By: GwenA Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/26/11 11:03 PM
Most of our restaurants are indestinguishable from patios! And, if there is a door on it, nobody would bring their dog!
Posted By: pugwash Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/26/11 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by Barnacle
personally, if they are not fighting, barking, drooling, got the squirts, fleas jumping off by the dozens, smell like dead pelican, killing kittens, peeing on everything, or just plain being nasty,, i enjoy them in the bars!

That was pretty much the standard I set before Mrs Pug came and saved me......

Oh....dogs?....sorry!
Posted By: ExOkie Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/27/11 02:38 AM
I personally prefer the establishments that allow dogs in them especially in San Pedro. Island dogs are a part of the island experience. I'm more worried about what's on the money I get at every store than I am about getting some kind of dog cooties.
Posted By: Barnacle Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/27/11 03:22 AM
hell,, i'd rather have dogs than a bunch of kids!

or sure,, beat me up now.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/27/11 03:38 AM
Ditto!
Posted By: clover Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/27/11 04:46 AM
No shoes, no dogs, no problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-01jhW_Yzhs
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/27/11 04:50 AM
AMEN ! Pot lickers are welcome at my table !
Posted By: Cooper Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/27/11 05:22 AM
OMG...their are lots of laws on all this in Belize but they are very defiantly enforced selectively....try doing a web search on the following..
Belize Dog Act
Belize animal cruelty laws
Belize Health Dept regarding to Animals
I have copies of all these laws and wish some of them were enforced....I am always on the animals side...
Posted By: Inplub Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/27/11 05:35 AM
Dogs belong outside.
Posted By: settledan Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/27/11 01:53 PM
We have a couple bar and grills in the states in a very tourist area and the law states no dog in the bar but they look the other way if they outside on the patio and on a leash. I even called the health department and asked.
Posted By: Gridguy Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/27/11 02:17 PM
Not a dog person... But they are fine with me in or out of restaurants, in the US or BZE....
Posted By: Otteralum Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/27/11 03:45 PM
locals needs to decide since it's their town and they have to live there. That said, I LOVE the dogs and would miss them at estel's and other places.
Posted By: Bobber Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/27/11 03:52 PM
The very first time we went to church in San Pedro, a dog wandered in and lay down in the aisle. The altar boys carried candles in Belikin glasses. Any given restaurant could have a dog or two around. There were more obvious strays back then, but few caused any problems (for the tourists). Hey, the same around the whole Caribbean. Just one of the little things that make vacations much more enjoyable than our everyday lives at home. My opinion.
Posted By: collyk Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/27/11 04:04 PM
I don't know if the law is the same here as in the UK, but many are. In the UK the law stated that dogs could not be in food preparation areas, but it was up to the discretion of the establishment to choose whether they were allowed in serving areas. Many owners who didn't want dogs blamed 'the environmental health' people so that they didn't look like the bad guys. As things changed over time and dog owner became a bigger lobby and learned to use their voice as consumers, many establishments became dog friendly, even including dog menus.

I love dogs and have three myself. I've been out eating or drinking and irresponsible dog owners have ruined the experience for others (a bit like thoughtless parents can too). Unfortunately, people - especially proprietors of businesses who do not want their customers disturbed - are prone to remember the bad and not the good things. This is how dogs end up being banned from not just restaurants, but parks, beaches etc.

Posted By: natalie p Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/27/11 04:16 PM
Lisa Tillett, the public Health Officer in San Pedro, 226 2555, would let you know what the law is regarding animals in a place where food is provided to the public. I think you may find that it is not permitted, but like many of the laws regarding animals here,such as the leash law, it is usually not enforced unless there are complaints.
Posted By: brotherbill Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/27/11 04:20 PM
i agree %100, dogs outside and on a leash except in proper
areas, is AC "going to the dogs" now, dont get me wrong i love my dog too,but theres a limit as to where he goes and i imagine
if i was to force him in peoples faces and places i would fear
he would be poisoned and the like,"proper behavior is your answer" after all who wants to be eating and a stray dog comes to your table and begs ? if the establishment doesn,t throw the dog out,"will you be back there to next time ?we are always learning thing day to day some take longer to learn and it takes all kinds to make the world go round, but i wouldn,t take my dog into a restaurant as i would be embarrassed to in the first place knowing it was wrong and or just a lack of class %100
Posted By: LoveH20 Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/27/11 11:42 PM
My thought also..I like to see Charlie at Esteles. Don't pet them if you don't want to..they don't bother anyone.
Posted By: Nova Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/28/11 12:29 AM
My first meal in San Pedro involved ... right foot toes in the sand, left foot toes scratching behind some dog's ears, right hand stuffing my face, left hand feeding shrimp to a stray cat.... Part of why we keep going back I guess.
Posted By: Rykat Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/28/11 02:19 AM
When you teach your dog to pi** and sh** in a toilet then he/she
is welcome in any restaurant I am frequenting - till then - STAY OUT!

smile
Posted By: Nova Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/28/11 02:38 AM
Dumbass! When your pets shit and [#%!] in public toilets, they're not pets, they're humans! Enough of the anthropomorphizing!
Posted By: Rykat Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/28/11 04:32 AM
well, at least ya got it!..............................dumbass!
Into that animal-human anthromorph shi* eh? laugh
Posted By: Inplub Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/28/11 01:50 PM
Can any dog owner tell me how many times does your dog lick another dogs ass before you take the dog into a restaurant?
Posted By: Barnacle Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/28/11 02:16 PM
ummmmm,, thats hard to say. could be many,, could be just one. i'll have to pay more attention.
Posted By: Seachange Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/28/11 03:09 PM
Could anyone tell me how many humans fail to wash their hands after changing their kid's diaper, sneezing into their hand, or using the restroom, and then handles salt and pepper shakers, chairs, door latches, railings and bottles of Marie Sharps? Human diseases tend to be more of a risk for us two-legged critters. I do agree that dogs should be well-behaved and under owner control, both indoors and out.

Whereupon, Seachange ducks her head and exits the fray.....
Posted By: collyk Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/28/11 03:28 PM
People have been training cats to use humane toilets for a long time. A very popular product came out a few years back called the Litter Kwitter to make this easier. Anthropomorphic or not, it is amusing.
Litter Kwitter
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/28/11 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by Inplub
Can any dog owner tell me how many times does your dog lick another dogs ass before you take the dog into a restaurant?

How many times they lick their OWN ass!?!
Posted By: sunrisesky Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/28/11 04:37 PM
I've just done the food handler's certificate here in SP, the health inspector who ran the course specifically mentioned dogs (and other animals) with regards to SP restaurants. She was understanding and "[does] not have a problem with your pet in restaurants". Other animals, yes (umm. mice, cockroaches etc).
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/28/11 04:45 PM
HELLO - You're not in Kansas anymore!
You come to Belize
You love it here
You love the people
You love the children
You love the dogs
You love the way of life

THEN - you want to make it just like back home!

The Europeans destroyed the buffalos and indians - now the gringo's want to destroy yet other countries! Leave Belize alone!
Posted By: Barnacle Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/28/11 04:56 PM
if a dog sniffs another dog's butt, explain how that somehow directly ends up on your plate of chicken?
dog hair floating around i could see people having a problem with, butt sniffin, not so much.
i stand by my list of doggy no-no's, with the addition of no humping in the bar, and now no butt sniffin.

and i also passed the food handlers course here and there were two dogs laying in the middle of the crowd the whole time.
Mr. health inspector guy never mentioned them once.

you could do as i do when someone brings their rowdy ass kids into the bar/restaurant and i don't like watching them be un-ruly beasts,, i leave.

edit: and on the way out i make sure to point out why i am leaving to the owner.
Posted By: JZB Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/28/11 06:55 PM
That reminds me of a sign I have seen somewhere:

" All unsupervised children will be given an expresso and a puppy. "

Love it! smile
Posted By: GwenA Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/28/11 08:31 PM
That's in Dr Lerida's Office! I love a doctor with a sense of humor!
Posted By: Inplub Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/28/11 09:20 PM
if a dog sniffs another dog's butt, explain how that somehow directly ends up on your plate of chicken?

Answer dog comes into restaurant, you touch the dog and it licks your hand, now where do you put your hand?
Posted By: ExOkie Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/28/11 09:22 PM
Amen Harriette!
Posted By: Barnacle Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/28/11 11:10 PM
"Answer dog comes into restaurant, you touch the dog and it licks your hand, now where do you put your hand?"

i would have thought you would know to wash your hands after touching something as vile and disgusting as a butt sniffin dog before tearing into that plate of chicken wings?
if they are so gross, why did you touch it? just say 'hi doggie' and let it go on.
Posted By: champion Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/28/11 11:19 PM
Birdland has it right, Stay home if you don't like what you see.
Don't make this like home. Rules? we don't need no stinkin Rules!
Posted By: clover Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 02/28/11 11:58 PM
I'm not much into sitting at Canucks watching pepperoni dave's dog take a dump in the Caribbean......or having a dog that just took a bath where Dave's dog was in the ocean....come up and shake off next to me.
I certainly will not go into a restaurant that allows dogs or cats in it. Those people with dogs need to respect the fact that not every one is a dog person.

AC is is either a tourist destination...or just a place where ex pats put on dog shows. You decide.
Posted By: champion Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 03/01/11 12:09 AM
Don't hang around places like that then.
Posted By: Barnacle Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 03/01/11 12:29 AM
sounds like you all up AC way better sanitize that place or this guy won't be back!
Posted By: SnoopysMom Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 03/01/11 12:40 AM
Being an equal opportunity pet lover, I enjoy seeing dogs and cats everywhere. It is great as well to be able to take my dog with me. However, when a restaurant has specific signage stating "no dogs allowed" like FIDOs (it is a cat friendly restaurant), I get very aggravated when people bring their dogs on in (off lease I might add) and they proceed to chase and terrorize the cats.

I really appreciate that FIDO's has taken the stance of "cat friendly". It is not fair to expect the dogs to control themselves against their nature - instead, their owners need to respect the establishment's wishes and stated rules.

Relative to turning off customers, I would venture a guess that the majority of tourists visiting our fine Island appreciate cat/ dog interactions, as many are lonesome for their own pets....
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 03/01/11 03:24 AM
I have no problem whatsoever with dogs or cats around eating or drinking establishments as long as their owners have control of them and respect the other patrons.
Posted By: Rykat Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 03/01/11 04:22 AM
I'll take the screaming kids you'all can have the flea bags.
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 03/01/11 04:36 AM
This thread is hilarious, getting a good giggle here. smile

While in Placencia last November, there was a sign in a restaurant: "Please Lef Yo Ugly Raas Dog Home".

I am not a dog person, but a huge cat lover. Still, they don't bother me as much as what my brother and I saw in Negril, Jamaica a few years back: An elderly gentlemen letting it all hang out on a windy day at a beach bar, with gray pubes a blowin' in the wind. No way did we stay!
Posted By: Sirenia Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 03/01/11 07:47 PM
More Wag. Less Bark.
Posted By: pnowell Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 03/03/11 04:56 AM
I'd rather deal with animals than screaming kids!! And where have those screaming kids hands been??
Posted By: Rykat Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 03/03/11 05:35 AM
Originally Posted by pnowell
I'd rather deal with animals than screaming kids!! And where have those screaming kids hands been??

betcha not the same places that dogs tongue has. sick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTpMy-9YOyI grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVw3JGy7DIA laugh
Posted By: Barnacle Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 03/03/11 01:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGOVV4ij64M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHRyTbn90QU&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4SIxKmVb0Q
Posted By: ragman Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 03/03/11 01:53 PM
I'm convinced. I'll take the dogs anyday. laugh
Posted By: Rykat Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 03/03/11 02:27 PM
Like the one scratchin' her ass....werent you just waiting for her to sniff the fingers? laugh laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: klcman Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 03/05/11 08:03 PM
so, I guess this is also out of play for some of you...........

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Judyann H. Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 03/05/11 09:22 PM
What? No straw....What's someone got to do to get service around here....
Posted By: Barnacle Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 03/05/11 10:17 PM
"I have sniffed many butts today. To celebrate I lick your face."

Scurvy
[img]The 'lick'.[/img]

Posted By: Babsy Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 03/06/11 02:32 AM
I love dogs. They treat you better than some humans!
Posted By: catdance62 Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 03/06/11 01:48 PM
plus, you just don't know which humans have been licking other human's butts. Just sayin'.....
Posted By: ExOkie Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 03/06/11 10:13 PM
If you don't like dogs in restaurants what about this??

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...27663302_730473301_6296887_5800305_n.jpg
Posted By: Red Dog Re: Dogs in Restaurant? - 03/07/11 06:41 PM
The ADA requires that you allow service dogs in restaurants in the US
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board