AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: SheShe333 Pica Pica and sensitive skin - 04/25/11 05:37 PM
I'm deep in trip planning mode. We are planning on going to AC the end of March 2012. Both my daughter and I have very sensitive skin. She once came back from camp with sooo many bites that she ended up with a staph infection. Bugs and Sun = no fun. I can handle the sun with crazy applications of sunscreen and hats. Bugs, got it: spray...but what about the pica pica?

How bad is the pica pica? Is it everywhere in spring? We love to snorkel - will this be a problem?

Thanks smile
Posted By: Judyann H. Re: Pica Pica and sensitive skin - 04/25/11 06:10 PM
Good Morning SheShe333, Elbert might have other experiences however in 7 years I have only been hit by Pica Pica once. We were about 85' down in a dive....Once I surfaced we sprayed a little Windex on the area and all was good. Hope that helps...We have about 250 Belize dives alone......No problem since that one in 2005.
Posted By: JZB Re: Pica Pica and sensitive skin - 04/25/11 06:22 PM
March is normally a Pica Pica, mosquito and sand fly free month! C'mon down and enjoy! Pica pica usually shows up just before the 'rainy season' starts in June when the seas are calmer. I don't think they have been too bad the past couple years and no sign of pica pica yet this year.
Posted By: SheShe333 Re: Pica Pica and sensitive skin - 04/25/11 06:29 PM
Thanks - we are so excited.
Posted By: Tie One On Re: Pica Pica and sensitive skin - 04/25/11 08:50 PM
what is pica pica ?
Posted By: champion Re: Pica Pica and sensitive skin - 04/25/11 09:03 PM
//ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/picapica.html
Posted By: papashine Re: Pica Pica and sensitive skin - 04/25/11 09:05 PM
The end of a really good time...I believe that they are jelly fish larvae, they get between you and your swimming gear and can produce a formidable itchy, burning sting.
Posted By: Dane Re: Pica Pica and sensitive skin - 04/25/11 10:39 PM
The windsurfers use what we call Pica Pica Armor when the problem is dire. We can't control where we fall esp.in the big waves. The rash is almost entirely in areas that trap the critter and smash it on your skin-neckline,waistband etc.and in warm water.
We sport a nearly naked attire to lessen the smashing effect.Baggy shorts with loose waistband.
Posted By: catdance62 Re: Pica Pica and sensitive skin - 04/26/11 03:32 AM
pica pica is like fire ants of the sea. THat's what it felt like to me anyway
Posted By: Katie Valk Re: Pica Pica and sensitive skin - 04/26/11 02:16 PM
If you get it, use Eurax cream and if its bad, also take atarax. I know there was some pica pica around this weekend in different areas.
Posted By: elbert Re: Pica Pica and sensitive skin - 04/26/11 02:32 PM
Good old hot showers seem to help loads.
As hot as you can stand with out burning yourself.
and as a preventive the divemasters keep a bottle of vinegar on the boat to douse with immediately after getting out of the water.
Posted By: Tie One On Re: Pica Pica and sensitive skin - 04/26/11 11:14 PM
Well thanx everyone for filling me in on the dreaded pica pica and the cures for ailments from them.
Posted By: DocVikingo Re: Pica Pica and sensitive skin - 04/28/11 02:07 PM
Pica-pica is SBE

Dealing With Sea Bather's Eruption (SBE)
http://www.awoosh.com/DocVikingo/SBE.htm

Regards,

DocVikingo
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board