AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: der3d7 Tobacco Caye - 08/11/11 09:26 PM
Hi All,

Sorry if this forum is not the appropriate place for this post but I was curious if anyone has ever been to Tobacco Caye. If others could offer information and tips on the tiny caye I would appreciate it. I just made my first trip to San pedro with my wife this summer and we both loved it. My wife had been there 10 years ago and was shocked by the level of growth the island has seen. Our taxi driver mentioned Tobacco Caye and we thought about giving it a try since it is a tiny secluded island with peace and quiet.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Tobacco Caye - 08/11/11 10:16 PM
Might also want to head up to Tranquility Bay to experience one of AC's many sweet, quiet secluded places.
If you want your own private island, try French Louie Caye off Placencia - THAT's quiet!
Posted By: PROBUS Re: Tobacco Caye - 08/11/11 10:20 PM
I've been to Tobacco Caye many times, though I've never spent a night there (I've always stayed at Thatch Caye nearby, a lovely and really peaceful place). Tobacco Caye is certainly small, but it's crammed with people and competing businesses, and the last thing you'll find there is peace and quiet. I see it as a tropical slum. Many backpackers go there assuming it must be cheap, but when you add it up it is far from cheap.

As for Tranquility Bay I totally agree - a lovely and readily accessible place.
Posted By: ron Re: Tobacco Caye - 08/11/11 10:25 PM
I was there a few years ago and it reminded me of a campground from the 50's. All of the places to stay were very basic and all had meals with the rooms. There was a small snack bar from which you could buy the basics and 2 bars. If you want to be alone good place for it.
Posted By: mountain Larry Re: Tobacco Caye - 08/11/11 11:05 PM
I was not imressed with Tobacco Caye, it is small and rather dirty. I didn't find any great bargains there as far as housing or food went. As PROBUS mentioned Thatch Caye is nearby and nice, also close by is Coco Plum Caye. Both of these places are very nice and similar in cost. The one thing Tobacco Caye has going for it is good snorkling right off the beach, no boat trips required.
Posted By: Rachael Eteson Re: Tobacco Caye - 08/12/11 04:27 PM
Also look at the Blue Marlin Lodge on South Water Caye. The island is gorgeous and very secluded, perfect for snorkelling, diving and hanging out in a hammock. It's close to Tobacco Caye so you can go over there for a day easily, plus it's close to Man-O-War Caye for some great bird watching. Otherwise to really get away from it all, you might want to consider all-inclusive live aboard sailing where you get to see a host of tiny islands from your own private floating hotel. More info here: http://www.absolutebelize.com/properties/the-cayes/luxury-sailing/
Posted By: Katie Valk Re: Tobacco Caye - 08/12/11 07:56 PM
I second South Water Caye. Blue Marlin for rooms with a/c or Pelican on the reef/beach side of the caye; much much nicer than TC.
Posted By: carolw Re: Tobacco Caye - 08/13/11 02:22 PM
Another vote for Tranquility Bay. We were there in July and I absoultely loved how peaceful and quiet it was. You can walk forever on the beach and enjoy the unspoiled beauty of it. You can also snorkel right from the beach. Diving is just about a one minute boat ride away.
Posted By: Bear Re: Tobacco Caye - 08/13/11 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Katie Valk
I second South Water Caye. Blue Marlin for rooms with a/c or Pelican on the reef/beach side of the caye; much much nicer than TC.

Is BZE still runing their small operation on SouthWater? We were there 16 years ago with our boys and it was us and the Blue Marlin. that was it. Phenomenal snorkeling in the channel and befriended the researchers over on Carrie Bow. Really a special place...I suspect thats all changed and the Caye has a bunch of lots on it now...
Posted By: Katie Valk Re: Tobacco Caye - 08/13/11 02:38 PM
You must mean IZE and yes, they are still operating and there are still only 3 small inns on this 15 acre caye and the same small traditional wooden caye houses. Nothing more than when you last visited. Some places don't change; this is one of them. Its magical out there.
Posted By: Bear Re: Tobacco Caye - 08/13/11 02:48 PM
Thanks for the correction on the name Katie, some dusty synapses there. Good to know, it really is an amazing place.
Posted By: PROBUS Re: Tobacco Caye - 08/14/11 01:37 AM
I've been to IZE a few times and have provided diving services for them in the past. Lovely place and like Tobacco Caye right on the reef.
Posted By: Cooper Re: Tobacco Caye - 08/15/11 05:04 AM
We love Tabacco Caye, went on a 3 day stay and again on a two day stay. Stayed at Gaviotas..it was $30 a night including meals. Yes very basic. You have to show up at scheduled meal times or you dont eat. Take snacks and a big book to read but to us it was great. Island very clean on our stay, met lots of interesting folks. Snorkeling and fishing was great.....
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board