AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: like2lean Noob - 04/25/12 03:11 AM
I love forums. How did we ever get by without them? This is a delightful area, the forum rules were a bit overbearing, but I understand. wink Hats off to the webmaster!

Hello all, my name is Rick, my wife and I will be making our first trip ever to San Pedro in a couple weeks. We'll be staying at the Phoenix with some good friends who have been once before.

As I pore over the threads of this forum in the limited time I have, I'd appreciate any and all opinions on two key areas for us, food and fun.

We only have 5 days and need to relax some of the time, but I do love to snorkel. Is it possible, or even advisable to rent a small boat and go on our own just around the island? Or do the currents and other risks make guides a better bet? What about off the beaches/docks, I understand if we watch out for boat traffic there are a few great areas here as well.

We also like food. The smaller local flavor is always our preference, but nothing is out of the question. Even buying some lobster/fish from a guy who just caught it and cooking in our condo one night sounds like fun! Little places like Rachel Ray would find on that show where she ate well on $40 a day are always welcome. Short of that, just your favorite places that aren't overpriced would be great.

Can we go all the way to the north tip of the isle by golf cart? There's got to be a couple great bars along the way!

Thank you for your input, we're looking so forward to seeing Belize!
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Noob - 04/25/12 03:15 AM
I pass
Posted By: azbob Re: Noob - 04/25/12 03:54 AM
Lots of questions l2l, but I will take on a few:
No way on the golf cart going all the way North! You can go all the way South as long as there hasn't been to much rain.

No way on the boat rental. You have to have a Captain's license to operate a motorized boat. Use one of the many tour operators to snorkel Ho Chan, shark Ray Alley, Mexico Rocks, etc. Dock snorkeling can be fun, just be careful of boat traffic.

Local food is everywhere. Try central park at night, El Fogon, Nellies Tacos, the Taco stands near the airport are great. Street vendors, Waragumba's(on middle street) for pupusa's and on and on and on.

PS there are bars no matter which way you go and some dang good ones: BC's, Crazy Cakuncks, Palapa Bar, Tackle Box, Fido's and on and on!!!

You will have a great time. Relax and enjoy paradise!!!

Ernie would have added some great things but he just is getting to old to type, but hell I love him anyway!!!! smile
Posted By: chunkyruth Re: Noob - 04/25/12 03:55 AM
The daily lunch specials at Red Ginger (right there at the Phoenix) are really good. Just had Monday's seafood gumbo last week...delicious.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Noob - 04/25/12 02:03 PM
Food - in town add these to your list for sit-down outdoor dining - Blue Water Grill & Wild Mangos.
Elvi's for big selection, excellent food - Stewed chicken, rice&beans is the national dish. Nobody does it better than Elvi's Kitchen (and order the potato salad as a side dish, it's different and divine).
On the go food is great from Celi's Deli, Ruby's coffee shop.
Big and Good - Breakfasts Etelle's Dine by the Sea.
Up the island - Aji, Rojo, Mata Chica, Portofino. All upscale, all romantic and all excellent.
Fun Thatch Beach Bars north with food - Palapa, Sundiver.
I hear very good things about the burgers and music at Legends but somehow I never seem to get there. (My bad on that)
The falafels at Ali Baba are great. So is the roasted chicken - perfect to take home for a picnic on the veranda at Phoenix.
Across the street from Pheonix is Mathieus's and it is stellar. Just three tables, and the food is made to order - some of the best you'll ever taste anywhere.
You will not want for fabulous food here - !!

Posted By: Rykat Re: Noob - 04/25/12 02:19 PM
and....if you cant find that right place for a drink you can snuggle up to Ernie and listened to some oldies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UbxeryZlgo&feature=related

wink
Posted By: MathieusDeli Re: Noob - 04/25/12 04:48 PM
Thanks Diane for the recommendation - we may just have our rooftop restaurant open soonish.... if you are at the Phoenix we are just a minute's walk from the middle st entrance (where reception is). The girls on the desk (& Danny) can call us to order for you, or you can order for delivery too (they give you phones at the Phoenix). We also do private chef services which if you are interested you can email us for a private conversation. One of our fave restaurants is Red Ginger which is at the Phoenix. Can't get enough of their grouper ceviche with mango & ginger.... Hope to see you soon!

BTW Wet Willy's has a great dock and swim area with wide steps and no boat traffic on the end just by the bar. good snorkelling there too. Just a couple of mins from the Phoenix beach entrance.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Noob - 04/25/12 04:57 PM
PS - I'm told that the salads and other dishes are "fully loaded" and intended to please at Grande Caribe's Cowboy pool bar. Pretty setting.
Posted By: like2lean Re: Noob - 04/25/12 05:03 PM
Excellent!! Just the kind of feedback I'm looking for! Thank you all and please keep them coming.

Do the local fishermen sell to individuals at the docks?

<< I pass >>

No problem Ernie, I totally understand, you probably live there and want to keep it to yourself, I'd feel the same way if I lived in paradise!! Unfortunately I'm only able to throw off the shackles of my workplace to go anywhere as nice as you live about once a year. But, with the help and advice of all the great people on this board, I hope to be able to make the most of my short time in your wonderful city!

Posted By: Gela Re: Noob - 04/25/12 05:34 PM
It might be a good thing to mention that Conch season has ended early and lobster season doesn't start until mid-June (please those in the know correct me if I'm wrong). So, if you're leaving in a couple of weeks you will be enjoying great fresh caught fish (not conch or lobster).

You WILL have a marvelous time and will want to go back time and time again smile
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Noob - 04/25/12 10:06 PM
like2lean. Sorry, thats my lame sense of humor.I did live there once, a long time ago. I left because the sea is nasty, the people are unfriendly, the food sucks, there aren't enough bars, it's too hot in the winter, too cold in the summer and Rykat and azbob are a pain the the a$$.
Posted By: champion Re: Noob - 04/25/12 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by Ernie B
like2lean. Sorry, thats my lame sense of humor.I did live there once, a long time ago. I left because the sea is nasty, the people are unfriendly, the food sucks, there aren't enough bars, it's too hot in the winter, too cold in the summer and Rykat and azbob are a pain the the a$$.

Oh!, and San Marcos Texas is better!!!!
You either drank too much or not enough!
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Noob - 04/25/12 11:22 PM
If you would like a preview of Heaven, just come visit Beautiful San Marcos Texas ! Please notice I said "visit" smile
(that means you cant stay) laugh
Posted By: clover Re: Noob - 04/26/12 12:00 AM
Don't tell them everything Ernie

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Noob - 04/26/12 01:14 AM
Ah Clover, the River Walk. Sadly they had to shut it down, drain the river, tear down all the bars,restaurants and clubs of ill repute. So, there is no reason to visit old San Antonio. Sad but true, frown
Posted By: ckocian Re: Noob - 04/26/12 01:51 AM
This is the week for the big annual party in San Antonio. FIESTA!! Big doings, food, parades and margaritas everywhere.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Noob - 04/26/12 02:37 AM
I'll be there !
Posted By: like2lean Re: Noob - 04/26/12 01:59 PM
Nice, may have to check that out before we go...just to visit or course. We're only up here in OKC.

No golf cart to the North end then, is there any other way up, car rental? Is it worth seeing?
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Noob - 04/26/12 02:14 PM
Boat, yes worth seeing
Posted By: like2lean Re: Noob - 04/27/12 01:16 PM
Roger that. What about golf carts to the south end to snorkel in the Hol Chan area, is beach access open? Or are the boat guides the way to go?
Posted By: Bear Re: Noob - 04/27/12 02:16 PM
Hi Bud, Beach access is granted universally under Belizean law. That said you may find some "discouragements" but the fact is its Queens Law. Regardless of beach access to the south, no one would recommend you snorkel out to Hol Chan (because of safety & boat traffic) and you can only snorkel the site with a licensed tour operator. Make arrangements when you know the weather will be nice and currents in your favor (slack preferably) You want an enjoyable experince and dont want to to have to snorkel in heavy chop or fast tidal currents. Ask your tour operator about these specifically.
Posted By: elbert Re: Noob - 04/27/12 02:30 PM
The North Road has gotten worse lately just an little north of Mata Chica (not even half way up the island)has gone underwater from high water in the lagoon.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Noob - 04/28/12 12:01 AM
You can always bike or walk the beach.
Posted By: like2lean Re: Noob - 04/28/12 03:57 AM
Thanks, that's what I needed to know. A friend mentioned a good spot being Bacalar Chico thru Searious...sounded good?
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board