AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: elbert The Road North - 05/15/12 02:36 PM
[Linked Image]
Residents are patching the dirt road to North Ambergris and traffic is being diverted from the beach.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: The Road North - 05/15/12 02:45 PM
Well it's about time people stopped driving on the beach. If there is always an alternative the road will never be build, fixed up and maintained. Sometimes a few have to suffer in order to force change to rectify the situation.

People spend a lot of money to buy beachfront land, they buy it to have a nice, relaxing peaceful place to unwind and hotels maintain a nice beach for their guests to lay out on and for little kids to play on. It has been ridiculous how much traffic you can see streaming up and down the beach, scattering tourists, making noise and creating dust.

There is a designated roadway, it is time to all be civil and start using it instead of using other peoples private property as if it is a dirt track raceway.
Posted By: bywarren Re: The Road North - 05/15/12 02:49 PM
I can understand not have vehicles drive on the beach, but is it legal to block access and call it private property?
Posted By: elbert Re: The Road North - 05/15/12 02:51 PM
Yes Amanda, and I've been one of them :-)
I agree its nice to see it diverted to the back and now that there is an alternative I'm on the road and off the beach.
A little concerned about the extent of the block though. We need to keep the beach path open to those that want to stroll or bike the beach.
Definitely something our new mayor is addressing Bywarren.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: The Road North - 05/15/12 03:56 PM
Yes walking should be allowed. I am not convinced bikes are okay on the beach. You know when a pack of bikes starts racing it can get pretty hairy out there!

The beach "reserve" is plotted on private property. The underlying title belongs to the land owner but he is required to leave the land undeveloped to allow folks to walk along the coast line. The beach reserve doesn't belong to the government or the Queen.

Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: The Road North - 05/15/12 04:06 PM
Last I checked, this "roadway" is in fact on private property (lots) and not the queen's beach.
There is room between this track and the beach to pass - it's just not trammeled down because people have been driving over this route for a while. There is a good road in the area as an alternative.
This particular route had been abandoned some time back as it was a dead-end, but then heavy equipment from GBE opened it again, going through and over private land making quite a mess.
I think it's a pretty ugly barrier and will see what I can do to improve the visuals.
Posted By: elbert Re: The Road North - 05/15/12 04:19 PM
Where do you find that Amanda, I read in Laws of Belize that all beach is public.
Posted By: elbert Re: The Road North - 05/15/12 04:27 PM
Diane, we all (self included)need a heads up on the Mayor's new interest in posts and other types of blocks that don't allow access to the beach. He's taking some action against a few and says he's going for more.
Its a hard call if you don't block you got golf carts of tourist in your front yard saying "AAW! Look Herbie, someone actually lives here" and if you do block your gona get threatening letter from the Town Board.
Remember when Elsa published a threat about the 60 foot of beach law in the San Pedro Sun.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: The Road North - 05/15/12 04:30 PM
Elbert, I hired a lawyer and was given a legal opinion.
Posted By: elbert Re: The Road North - 05/15/12 04:33 PM
Hope you didn't pay much for that!
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: The Road North - 05/15/12 04:58 PM
Will check with the Mayor and SPBA today to be sure whatever is done is cool with the powers that be.
The fence-notice was made to keep folks from ending up in a dead-end. The recently-formerly used "connection" (courtesy of heavy equipment from GBE) comprises pretty much all of lot #2 at Spanish Reef - way-way back from the beach.
Anybody proceeding on down the "old" track ends up having to turn around etc --- it was fully intended to help people find their way.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: The Road North - 05/15/12 05:34 PM
Actually I have more than one expert legal opinion that all concur with what I have said.
Posted By: Chica Blanca Re: The Road North - 05/15/12 05:49 PM
It would be nice to know the new administrations opinion about driving on the beach when road access is given. And what is allowed to deny vehicles access to drive on the beach.

I wish people would understand driving on the beach harms it, long term. It compacts the soil, effects the ability of the soil to absorb rainwater, thus creating beach erosion and soil that can not support any plant life. Nor turtle nests.

Having watched turtle nests for two years not hatch, due to traffic on the beach within the Bacalar Chico Marine Reserve, I am distressed and sadden. This year the traffic has only increased, with ATV tours to Rocky Point, poachers driving up north on a Sunday to conch in the reserves shallow waters and the ruts on the beach that will interfere with the turtle nests. We personally can not wait to have a road in back and we know others will fight us to drive on the beach. Sad indeed.

These photos were taken in October 2011, luckily storm surge smoothed it out. But until the rains, the ruts now are about 6" deep.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: The Road North - 05/15/12 06:19 PM
When using the term "public" one may wish to qualify it further ......

"Public Property" means property owned by the "public".

"Public Access" can mean private property over which the public has an easement to pass.

Whilst it may not seem a big different to some, it may also be at the root of some of our longer semantic debates.

In the old days the titles to big parcels went to the edge of the water. As properties were sub-divided, a beach reserve was platted in front of the smaller lots - 20 years ago it was a 35' beach reserve, not 66. Over time it changed to 66'.
In the case where this is imposed on the subdivision the 66' is marked on the maps.

The curious issues are - erosion and accretion. Shorelines change and taking a tape measure to a beach party may have unpredictable results.

Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: The Road North - 05/15/12 06:48 PM
Colleen, thanks for posting the pictures and the story - indeed many people don't realize how much of a negative impact driving on the beach in the turtle nesting areas have made. And yes erosion, noise pollution, disturbing peace etc. Sure it is nice to drive along the beach but is it really okay???
Posted By: seashell Re: The Road North - 05/15/12 07:55 PM
So? What is the answer then? I'm confused. May I walk on the beach in front of private property or not? Is that Private Property sign intended to deter foot traffic too, or only wheeled traffic?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Dawghed Re: The Road North - 05/15/12 08:10 PM
This is a very informative thread but I'm still not clear. I certainly see the negative environmental impact of driving a vehicle on the beach. And I wouldnt want to trespass on someones private property, beach or pier. But what is the definitive answer to the question are people allowed to walk along this or any other section of the beach?
Also, IMHO, the road block and sign pictured are not exactly "friendly." If its a dead end/no outlet or impassible then something to that effect would be more informative. And if you have the right then a low pile of boulders would be way to keep carts off the beach.
Posted By: Chica Blanca Re: The Road North - 05/15/12 08:14 PM
I believe the whole point is to have a beautiful beach for everyone to walk on.

Motorized traffic, no. Bikes seem to be open for debate.

The bottom line is realize and respect that our privileged seaside location comes with responsibility and consequences. Try to leave as light a foot print as possible.

Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: The Road North - 05/15/12 08:19 PM
Yes you are allowed to walk along the beach and stop and admire the view and even walk along the docks etc. What you aren't expected to do is drive along the beaches or stop, set up a tent and picnic etc. The right to walk along the coast line is permitted throughout Belize and there are areas of common/public beaches where parks are located in which you are encouraged to hang out and picnic and play etc.
Posted By: elbert Re: The Road North - 05/15/12 09:27 PM
More laws! ya just kinda make this up as you go along Amanda or is there some place we can see this written down?
I'm in Belize where there is no such thing as a private beach or private dock. You must be on Fantasy Island, with some apartheid group.
Posted By: Luvinlife Re: The Road North - 05/15/12 10:00 PM
love the response elbert. good call.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: The Road North - 05/15/12 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by elbert
More laws! ya just kinda make this up as you go along Amanda or is there some place we can see this written down?
I'm in Belize where there is no such thing as a private beach or private dock. You must be on Fantasy Island, with some apartheid group.

No, I read the same laws as you do - the difference is that I also keep track of the changes and clarifications too. The base law is open to serious interpretation. You just have to get a qualified person to make the interpretation for you.

I am partial to Fantasy Island for vacations I but prefer living here as it is more stimulating and challenging.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: The Road North - 05/15/12 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by Amanda Syme
Originally Posted by elbert

No, I read the same laws as you do - the difference is that I also keep track of the changes and clarifications too. The base law is open to serious interpretation. You just have to get a qualified person to make the interpretation for you.

I am partial to Fantasy Island for vacations I but prefer living here as it is more stimulating and challenging.

Being a Realtor, it is extremely important to be up to date on laws pretaining to land and land ownership..........good job Amanda!
Posted By: elbert Re: The Road North - 05/16/12 01:14 AM
Yes walking should be allowed. I am not convinced bikes are okay on the beach. You know when a pack of bikes starts racing it can get pretty hairy out there!

The beach "reserve" is plotted on private property. The underlying title belongs to the land owner but he is required to leave the land undeveloped to allow folks to walk along the coast line. The beach reserve doesn't belong to the government or the Queen.

So again I say, Where are these laws written down?
I'm accusing you of just making this up, don't you want to prove me wrong?
I say No Private Beaches and No Private Piers, no such thing.
Who are these experts and where are their opinions?
I don't see any thing in here: http://www.belizelaw.org/
Please, lets see it!
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: The Road North - 05/16/12 02:33 AM
Unlike you I don't need to argue and you can't bruise my ego, so no, I don't need to justify or quantify anything to you, even if you demand it. This is a message board not a court of law.

If you want a true professional and accurate legal opinion I suggest you hire a top Belizean law firm as I did. Cost for and in depth opinions run just under $10K.
I am not a lawyer, but I guess I could play one on a message board.

Sorry I don't want to play Elbert, but I am not in any mood to spar these days. Hell, I don't even talk to Pedro these days. It just takes too much effort.

Posted By: SimonB Re: The Road North - 05/16/12 02:51 AM
Elbert, I go to that site often as well but you have to take into account that most of the text is only current to 2000. You have to go through the gazette's to find the changes in law (if you're lucky enough to find them online). The most current gun laws aren't on that site but we all know they exist...
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: The Road North - 05/16/12 03:16 AM
I subscribe to the gazette, it is about of tonne of paper each year, additional lrule and regulations, proposed laws and new bills and statutory instruments. Lots of other info too. Well worth the annual fee. But a bear to read sometimes with all that legalese.
Posted By: seashell Re: The Road North - 05/16/12 07:04 AM
OK, so I can walk on the beaches. Cool.
Posted By: elbert Re: The Road North - 05/16/12 12:41 PM
I'll keep looking. Granted laws do change but still no evidence that this has.
Its worth pursuing. When I visit places like Utila and Roatan I hear the common people rumbling about foreigners coming to their islands and making private beaches, Angry rumblings the kind that grow in to dangerous dissension. I spent two weeks in the middle of a revolution in Honduras and listened to comments of the people. They quickly shifted from the real issues of the revolution to 'Get the Gringos'.... I would like to keep my pride that Belize isn't like those places because we're not overly class conscious and the gap between rich and poor isn't so wide. Seems almost silly that a thing like private beaches and piers would be so important but I feel its fuel for a fire.
I promise you that when the Sanpedranos drive their families North to the beach on Sundays and see things like the photo at the top of this thread, they say "Those [#%!] in Gringos".
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: The Road North - 05/16/12 01:31 PM
Hello folks - the sign has been down since about 10 am yesterday.
Tempest in a teapot - so much could have been avoided with a friendly phone call and a smile.
Posted By: elbert Re: The Road North - 05/16/12 02:09 PM
You take it way to personal there are dozens of signs like this and a hundred plus barriers.
Posted By: seashell Re: The Road North - 05/16/12 02:11 PM
I liked the smiley face. At least there wasn't a skull and cross-bones painted on that fence.
Posted By: Chica Blanca Re: The Road North - 05/16/12 02:22 PM
The perennial topic of driving on the beach and beach access.

I would no sooner take a dive safety course from a realtor then I would do a land deal with a dive instructor.

With that said I have located an print copy of an article in the San Pedro Sun Sept 17, 2009 "Ownership to beachfront property". I don't want to have to type the entire article, so I will try to get it from the good folks at the sun. Here's a sample.

"What are the rights of the public in reserve areas (Crown Land)? According to the National Lands Act, the reservation is for "Government and public purposes." This phrase is not defined and is open to many interpretations. It is important to note, however, that although the 66 ffet of land may have been reserved for Government and public purposes, the land remains owned by the relevant landowner but without exclusive rights."

Nobody wants private beaches, just beaches that are free from motorized vehicle traffic and damage. Is that too much to ask?
Posted By: Mike Campbell Re: The Road North - 05/16/12 02:25 PM
To the best of my knowledge there is a town ordinance that prohibits driving any vehicles on the beaches except Boca Del Rio.
Posted By: seashell Re: The Road North - 05/16/12 02:30 PM
Where does the town end on the north side across the bridge? Is there a town boundary?
Posted By: Chica Blanca Re: The Road North - 05/16/12 02:42 PM
San Pedro Town runs almost the entire length of the island. The SPTC jurisdiction ends in the REAL north end in Basil Jones, 14 miles north from town center and the entire south end. Belmopan is in control of the rest of the north end from Robles to the Bacalar Chico cut at the Mexican boarder. At least this is where property owners pay the property taxes to.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: The Road North - 05/16/12 02:52 PM
Thanks for posting the facts Coleen.

And by the way, I have been a certified SCUBA diver since 1979 and one point was even qualified to teach a dive safety course!

I am a realtor that has had a number of past lives......

I can am also retired mixologist!
Posted By: elbert Re: The Road North - 05/16/12 04:19 PM
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bing Crosby Re: The Road North - 05/16/12 04:56 PM
Yeah, leave the rich peoples beaches alone!
Posted By: Chica Blanca Re: The Road North - 05/16/12 05:31 PM
No leave the BELIZEAN BEACHES alone. I enjoy nothing more then to see a Belizean family playing together at the shore edge. Or any family for that matter. This is not a gringo vs. local issue, rich vs. poor. This is about being a good steward to the land and place we are privileged to occupy or visit.

Is this really what you want the beach to look like? This was taken yesterday in Robles within a World Heritage Site and Marine Reserve. Turtles historically nest on these beaches. Because of increased traffic with in the reserve, there is added runoff because of soil compaction, plants are being run over and unable to gain purchase.

[Linked Image]

Who is going to be the one to explain to my neighbors children why Belize wont's have turtles, conch, or lobster for them to enjoy when their adults? Because someone just has to drive on the beach. Or have conch out of season? Not me.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: The Road North - 05/16/12 05:36 PM
I am appalled that there are 4 wheeler ATV tours and the Segway tours along the beaches/coast line. Yes, going along the road sucks but that is where the motorized vehicles should run. Or, go by boat or bike if you want to enjoy the coast. Nothing to do with rich and poor. It has to do with respect and preservation of our natural resources, flora and fauna.
Posted By: BeBelize Re: The Road North - 05/17/12 04:04 AM
I am appalled that there are 4 wheeler ATV tours and the Segway tours along the beaches/coast line. Yes, going along the road sucks but that is where the motorized vehicles should run. Or, go by boat or bike if you want to enjoy the coast. Nothing to do with rich and poor. It has to do with respect and preservation of our natural resources, flora and fauna.

+1,000,000

Some people just don't get it. I don't understand those people. frown frown frown frown
Posted By: Chris Re: The Road North - 05/22/12 03:19 PM
Everyone knows the solution to keeping bikes and motorbikes off the beach. Pave the road north.

Posted By: Mike Campbell Re: The Road North - 05/22/12 03:37 PM
I had this problem at Xaman Ek and had to get a bit "aggressive" to keep the motorized vehicles off the beach. I was not very pleasant and would try to stop everyone even got hit by a motorcycle once or twice. I would make them talk to me as long as possible while I explained the law and how it bothered tourists as well I did not want them driving in my front yard. Although there is a beach reserve that is my property. Got to be easier for them to go around than deal with me for 20 minutes. Segway was the worst for awhile and I gave them all kinds of grief until they did not come around anymore. I have been in town about 9 months now and I guess they have started back. Segway and the 4 wheeler place should obey the law and instruct their clients to obey the law or be shut down. By law there are no motorized vehicles allowed on the beach except Boca Del Rio. Bicycles are legally allowed on the beach and never seem to bother anyone. Aggressive landscaping seems to not be against the law. I landscaped in a fashion that they would have to dismount and walk their bike through or over. They cannt tear up your plants.
Posted By: elbert Re: The Road North - 05/22/12 04:05 PM
The game has change with this rain. The road is totally impassable. The beach is the only alternative and the new barricades are a problem.
People will go through. Its a growing problem that will only be solved by a decent road.
I hope the new mayor has more concern about a road than the last one did.
Posted By: Chris Re: The Road North - 05/22/12 04:08 PM

Mike, great, all every beach front property owner has to do is confront all of these burly construction workers who are trying to get to work but can't use the "road." Does that sound like a good solution to those who came here to "live the dream?" Or does it sound like an invitation to trouble?

Everyone knows the solution to keeping bikes and motorbikes off the beach. Pave the road north.

Posted By: Gaz Cooper Re: The Road North - 05/22/12 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by Chris

Well said Chris,

Realistic ? maybe not right now, but until that is completed how can you enforce not allowing driving on the beach.

If there is some sort of road at the rear OK but if not the only passable way is the beach and until that changes it will be almost impossible to change this.

What is someone has a home north and does not have a boat or what if they have a lot off the beach which is only accessible via using the beach.

While I agree its another tough problem without an easy solution.

Gaz
Posted By: SFJeff Re: The Road North - 05/22/12 04:18 PM
Here's a polite suggestion to everyone riding the beach on a motorcycle... SLOW DOWN!!! You'd be amazed at how different of a reception you'll receive (from property owners, tourists and dogs alike) if you're going say 5-10 mph as opposed to 20-30 mph.

The reality is no one is going to be using the road anytime soon after these rains... and the road is not going to be graded/paved for a long long time (heck, right now it's not even a "road" in parts, so much as cleared paths going through private property.) So in the meantime, it seems a bit of politeness and courtesy will go a long way.
Posted By: Gaz Cooper Re: The Road North - 05/22/12 04:24 PM
If it was me, when I got to properties with known aggressive loose dogs that are going to chase me while trying to do me damage I would be speeding up as not to get attacked and I would certainly not slow down, and give the dog a chance of a bit of flesh smile

Gaz
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: The Road North - 05/22/12 06:30 PM
ditto Jeff.

Posted By: Mike Campbell Re: The Road North - 05/22/12 06:36 PM
My point always is the pressure needs to be on the govt to fix the road not put the pressure on us to allow illegal vehicles in front of our businesses, nice wedding on the beach with passing motorcycles? I have had many tourists tell me how great it is that there are no motorcycles on the beach as they will not return to some places they have visited because of the motorcycles on the beach. I always tried to accommodate when the road was bad and kept mine passable at all times. But after the road dries up they dont want to go back there unless you "encourage" them.
Posted By: elbert Re: The Road North - 05/22/12 07:29 PM
I found if being chased by a dog you just stop, it confuses the hell out of the dog! It totally spoils it for them.
I'm glad we all see that the road is important. There are a lot of really great folks that have given time and money to improving it. I'm hoping the new mayor kicks in soon.
Its raining buckets still and I need to go to town so heads up folks!
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: The Road North - 05/22/12 08:15 PM
Yes the road north should be a priority along with street lights.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: The Road North - 05/22/12 08:20 PM
My observation has been the faster you go the more likely the dogs are to chase you. When you slow down to a crawl they do not feel so threatened and seem to back off. -- But -- heck that is only my opinion.
When I've gone north to the east west road I feel soooo guilty driving through some of the front yards just before I get to Indigo. I go as slow and carefully as I can but really wish there were a better way.
BTW How did someone manage to build such an excellent road across the wet lands to get to Grand Belice Estates
It is very well built and high above the water line.
Posted By: Mike Campbell Re: The Road North - 05/22/12 10:49 PM
Dogs chasing people and golf carts and bicycles is dangerous and a hazard and I have had more than one tourist complain about the dogs and I have had two bad experiences with unrestrained dogs in the last two months.
Keep your dog under control or dont be surprised when something happens to it.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: The Road North - 05/22/12 11:30 PM
Gee, that sounds like a threat.
Posted By: Capt. Hollywood Re: The Road North - 05/23/12 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
BTW How did someone manage to build such an excellent road across the wet lands to get to Grand Belice Estates
It is very well built and high above the water line.

The roads to GBE look like they were properly engineered and built. High crowned hardcore with culverts. The culverts and the hard core are the key. I know the road well after my experience with it last year.
The North road is a carved out path following the BEL Right of way. Some hardcore has been put down in patches by the big resorts but it really is a dogs breakfast.

Portions of the road need to be raised and properly engineered, It can be done.

I just met with the Mayor on this issue. There is no funding for the North road, however he is not opposed to doing what we did last year and having the residents fund road maintainance/improvements. He said he MAY be able to help with machinery and manpower.

One thing is we can't just keep grading, it will eventually lower the roadbed too much. We need to lay down hardcore and culverts in places.

There is only one place where you HAVE to drive the beach because there is no alternative.

The homes on the beach between Journeys end and Indigo would have to fund a link following the BEL Right of way from where the road curves to the beach to where the power lines meet up with the GBE Road. Otherwise there is no alternative but to drive on the beach.

So, The Captain is here for you and asks, who's in for a monthly maintainance fee and how much are you willing to pay? The more who pitch in the lower the per household cost.

All that money and effort putting up traps and barricades could better be used to improve the road

Wouldn't you say?

Start posting North people!!!!

Posted By: SFJeff Re: The Road North - 05/23/12 03:27 AM
Problem is, the "road" does not always follow the BEL right of way.

...and that existing right of way is changing, as BEL is up this way surveying for their new lines. Take a look at where THOSE lines are surveyed and you'll realize what an incredible task building the road will be

The existing "road" ALREADY has been built and maintained by the residents here. The amount of $$$ you're suggesting the private sector chip in to constantly maintain it and bridge the gaps would be EXTRAORDINARY... Maybe there is "no funding for the road north" because, as declared on paper by the GOB, there IS NO ROAD NORTH.

Here's an idea... take a boat.
Posted By: Capt. Hollywood Re: The Road North - 05/23/12 05:37 AM
Yes Jeff, I know, I coordinated the last effort to grade the road to Captain Morgans.
It will not be extrodinarily expensive if everyone pitches in.
Once it is well built it will take less $$ to maintain. No it won't get done overnight, but can be done in stages.

I have been patroling the road and most of it is passable except for a few low spots and a real bad patch around Portafinos.

You are correct, the road does not always follow the BEL ROW. BEL needs a road to maintain the lines so they are going to build it anyway.

Part of the existing road may cut through your private property, but the alternative is the reserve.. yes THE BEACH and we all know how everyone feels about that.

SO Hey here's an idea, how about we all work together with mutual respect and co-operation, and try and solve the problems instead of creating more.

Unfortunately, some people here have the last man in syndrome.

I'm here, I've got my property, now close the Island and no more development.
Unfortunately this does not work in the real world.

Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: The Road North - 05/23/12 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
Dogs chasing people and golf carts and bicycles is dangerous and a hazard and I have had more than one tourist complain about the dogs and I have had two bad experiences with unrestrained dogs in the last two months.
Keep your dog under control or dont be surprised when something happens to it.

Ernie, Mike isn't even up this way any more - this doesn't read like a threat from him - more like a warning (based on experience) to people who do not take proper care of their dogs. Dogs that chase may end up getting hurt or poisoned. The owners who let their dogs run and chase are endangering their dogs.

Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: The Road North - 05/23/12 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Capt. Hollywood
Yes Jeff, I know, I coordinated the last effort to grade the road to Captain Morgans.
It will not be extrodinarily expensive if everyone pitches in.
Once it is well built it will take less $$ to maintain. No it won't get done overnight, but can be done in stages.

I have been patroling the road and most of it is passable except for a few low spots and a real bad patch around Portafinos.

You are correct, the road does not always follow the BEL ROW. BEL needs a road to maintain the lines so they are going to build it anyway.

Part of the existing road may cut through your private property, but the alternative is the reserve.. yes THE BEACH and we all know how everyone feels about that.

SO Hey here's an idea, how about we all work together with mutual respect and co-operation, and try and solve the problems instead of creating more.

Unfortunately, some people here have the last man in syndrome.

Unfortunately this does not work in the real world.

The designated "road" exists at least on paper most of the way up the island. Unfortunately for would-be neighborhood amateur road builders, some if it is in areas that are 2 feet under water. This is not something cheap or easy to deal with.

When we tired of carts on the Mata Grande beach many years ago we got together a few folks and cleared the designated road in a section of our neighborhood. Indeed many (if not most) of the neighbors refused to participate - saying "I'll never use it" (baloney). Fortunately for us the land where this road would run was solid and did not need true "construction". The folks who use it still patch it as best we can, and clean the trash along the roadside as well.

A trunk road location is mostly formatted. As best it can, BEL is following that public easement in the installation of their new lines. That does not mean BEL is going to build a road. They are not going to build a road.

GoB should be pressured to support this island with proper infrastructure. When we continue to do for the government what government should do for us we patently say - fine, keep my money and do nothing.
I'm not against patching and chopping a bit here and there to make daily life better - but the grading and all being done by neighborhoods is not sufficient to give us a reliable all-weather road. The road is a mass of puddles and ruts due to this last rain and we're just getting started with the rainy season. We need drainage and a proper road surface.

AND we need to assess the tangential impact of the road before it goes in! What about speeding, noise, trash along roadsides, increased crime? It's not a single-issue item. I'm all for a better road, in the right place - but not until and unless we can deal with the big picture that surrounds it. I'm tired of seeing projects just done (like the clock) and then trying to deal with the negative aftermath after the fact. If we have to live with a bad road until we can have a truly workable plan, then perhaps that inconvenience will motivate us as a community to make a comprehensive effort to do something lasting and positive. "Take a boat" is, and probably always will be a more pleasant and beautiful and much faster way to get to town - but it is not an affordable option for many of the workers in our area.

The "road" needs walking paths and bike paths - it needs trash pick-up and landscaping .......... all these things should be factored into the plan. If you want to see the results of not planning for these things, take a look at middle street in San Pedro - zero-lot-line to a narrow street clogged with people, cars, dogs and kids. Dangerous, noisy and no fun at all.

Posted By: elbert Re: The Road North - 05/23/12 02:05 PM
Diane, is the new blockade yours also? what was the point in taking one down and putting up another?
The other one was more colorful.
Posted By: bywarren Re: The Road North - 05/23/12 02:15 PM
"Unfortunately, some people here have the last man in syndrome.

Unfortunately this does not work in the real world."

Too bad it does not work that way on AC. I see nothing wrong with limiting developement based on the infrastucture available to handle it. There are enough people now paying taxes and generating revenue to provide the funds for adequate infrastucture. Lessoning the quality of life for those living on the island and not providing sufficient crime control, roads, traffic flow, water, electricity, sewage, garbage disposal, etc, etc, etc, for tourists visiting will have a very negative effect for the future. Any business or tourist destination that does not invest for its anticipated growth prior to that growth will suffer in the long run. The "short term greed" will fall short of the long term prosperity. frown

Posted By: AT602 Re: The Road North - 05/23/12 02:35 PM
Elbert you have 2 boats. For years you commuted by boat then you bought a motorcycle. Now the road is important to you. When the road is bad use your boat as you have in the past. Stay off the beaches with a motorcycle. You have alternate travel options.
Posted By: elbert Re: The Road North - 05/23/12 02:50 PM
Its not gona happen, its one of those inevitable things your going to have to get used to. look at what a ridiculous mess you've made of your beach with all those silly barricades.
seriously it won't stop anyone. try bobbed wire or rolls of concertina.
Posted By: Mike Campbell Re: The Road North - 05/23/12 02:58 PM
The heavy pressure has been placed on the "road" by the illegal allowing of vehicles on North Ambergris Caye. When the last town council opened the road to traffic it was an illegal move. Since then we have had rampant stealing all of which was and is facilitated by the illegal opening of this road. They have allowed heavy trucks which is also illegal. Development must be controlled so that it happens in a good way. Master Plan was ignored allowing too big resorts for a few while others have struggled trying to develop in an ecologically sensitive fashion. Premature opening by the town board of a non existent road was a big mistake. Beware any type of business that asks "how much can you pay?" Sounds like a bad start. I think the govt should take their responsibility. Look at the beautiful road they have now in Placencia, what happened to us? Piecemeal repairs other than by individual owners just makes the situation worse in my opinion and Ministry of Works should be in charge. They have lots of good engineering staff. Respect the law and keep the vehicles off North Ambergris until they can be handled in a proper way. If you want to open the road do it legally not just say ok everybody can now drive on it. Bad government and now the problem is much greater than when there was no vehicles allowed as per law.
Posted By: Capt. Hollywood Re: The Road North - 05/23/12 06:05 PM
I am starting a new thread for NAC registered property owners only. All others please debate it here.
Posted By: Wealthy Buyer Re: The Road North - 05/25/12 01:26 AM
Just build that road north and open up more land to buy and these deep pockets of mine will gladly take land off of your hands.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: The Road North - 05/25/12 01:28 AM
OOOHHHH....how exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Ernie B Re: The Road North - 05/25/12 01:30 AM
Go eat another pork chop, Jesse.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board