AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Laguna Punta Nautical Maps - 09/13/00 05:59 AM
My friend Sailor Sam is interested in nautical maps of Belize and more specifically AC. He tells me that there are such a thing as computerized maps for sailing, but he can't find any for Belize/AC. Sam has a 40' Sail boat, and he wonders if he could get it into the San Pedro Lagoon. What draft is necessary ta get ta the back side?
Posted By: lyndend Re: Nautical Maps - 09/13/00 06:19 AM
I don't know where to get them, but I think you want nautical "charts", not "maps"
Posted By: Parrothead Re: Nautical Maps - 09/13/00 03:25 PM
You might want to try Bellingham Chart Printers. They specialize in nautical charts for around the world.
http://www.tidesend.com/index.html
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First Re: Nautical Maps - 09/13/00 06:49 PM
Calder, Nigel. The Cruising Guide to the Northwest Caribbean, International Marine/McGraw-Hill, 2nd ed., 1991, 262 pp. Navigational and anchorage information on the Caribbean Coast of Mexico, Belize, Guatemala and Honduras.

Rauscher, Freya. Cruising Guide to Belize and Mexico's Caribbean Coast, 2nd ed., Wescott Cove Publishing, 1996, 304 pp. with 119 charts and 133 photos. Comprehensive cruising guide, the best available to this region. Includes general charts of Belize's coast and Mexico's Caribbean Coast.

British Admiralty Nautical Charts. Nautical charts for the coast of Belize.

General Chart of the Caribbean Coast of Mexico South to Ambergris Caye, Wescott Cove Publishing, 1996.

General Chart of the Coast of Belize from Ambergris Caye to Guatemala Border, Wescott Cove Publishing, 1996.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/
Posted By: SamWoolsey Re: Nautical Maps - 09/15/00 05:08 PM
Thanks Bill for posting the question and for telling me of the answers. Thanks to all for their responses. Any of the listed sources have digitized charts for use with the Cap'n software?

Next Question: If one leaves St. Louis before the snow flies, heading south down the Mississippi River in 40' Sail boat toward N'Orleans, how long will it take to get to Belize.
Posted By: margarita Re: Nautical Maps - 09/15/00 05:34 PM
Sailin' Sam - Sounds like a trick question to me! How long is your stop in New Orleans?
Anybody know Art with the Houseboat? I think he made the same trip from New O.
Posted By: CHOOCHOO Re: Nautical Maps - 09/15/00 06:04 PM
That can be one nasty trip in a sailboat. I trust that you have a whole lot of experience sailing or you wouldn't even be considering this or asking the question. Anybody remember the sailboat from across the Gulf that ripped up and sank on the reef in January of '98?

Art's personally crafted houseboat was towed behind a barge by a tug from N.O. Those of you interested may view the "Ark of Art" (hey, that's pretty good) in it's semi-permanent dockage at Woody's Wharf. One door north of Coconuts, a couple doors south of the Playador. No charge for pictures either.
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Nautical Maps - 09/15/00 07:00 PM
Yah Sam, that's quiet a trip. We should get hold of dat Barefoot Skinny. His navagational skills are legend in Belize. I'll get with ya, maybe we can pick up dat Collin in New Orleans. RAMS TICKETS FOR SALE.
Posted By: SEAWINGS Re: Nautical Maps - 09/15/00 07:04 PM
SAMWOOLSEY,your a brave man.I too have a 40' yawl and I think I would skirt the coast of Mexico."In case ya' get lost you can always stop at ask directions" famous quote from the movie CAPTAIN RON.A classic!!!!
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Nautical Maps - 09/15/00 07:05 PM
That Sam is a great sailor. Hell, he's an old Helicopter Pilot! NUFF SAID?
Posted By: CHOOCHOO Re: Nautical Maps - 09/15/00 07:41 PM
You're right Bill. I had to think for a minute about that Whirlybird thing compared to sailing, and I'll be damned...one's just LIKE the other. Cripes you guys from E. St. Louie are so darn smart.

Hang on mateys! This is gonna get good.
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Nautical Maps - 09/16/00 05:54 AM
That Sam wrote a book bout his trip from, I believe, Galveston, Tx. to St Louis. Hope he's got most of the kinks out.
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Nautical Maps - 09/16/00 07:43 AM
Hey CHOOCHOO: Sam and me are NOT from East St Louis. Your thinking bout the full moon being blocked by the tire fires in East St Louis, Illinois. We watch da tire fires, safe and sound, from our side of the river, in St Louis, MISSOURI. This is as serious of a mistake as Bobby Knight going to a Purdue basketball game.
Posted By: CHOOCHOO Re: Nautical Maps - 09/16/00 12:31 PM
Hmmmm. There goes that thread of humor. Yup, we got those mountains of XXXXXL red sweaters still burning. Not necessarily a bad thing, saved the General from doing the Woody Hayes thing.
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Nautical Maps - 09/16/00 03:44 PM
It's a little topsy turvey out there. I sometimes wonder if its insane ta be sane. Jim Otis, one of Woody Hayes, old time running backs is one of St Louis' favorite sons, as an Ex-Football Cardinal. I've heard him interviewed saying that Coach Hays was one the the greatest gentleman he had ever known. The Coach became a History Professor after being fired as Head Coach. Jim Otis said that Coach Hays suffered from a medical condition, which effects your emotions. The Press can, all I can say, smell blood in the water.
Posted By: Barefoot Skinny Re: Nautical Maps - 09/19/00 09:18 AM
Don't ask me nothin'... I ran aground twice this month!
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Nautical Maps - 09/19/00 10:11 AM
I hope ya weren't using da SS Laguna Punta, were ya?
Posted By: Chloe Re: Nautical Maps - 09/19/00 05:10 PM
Oh Bill, your SS Laguna Punta will never be the same. OUCH!
Posted By: SamWoolsey Re: Nautical Maps - 09/20/00 09:06 PM
As always, when dealing with Billy T, "I think I'm sorry, I asked the question."
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Nautical Maps - 09/21/00 02:53 AM
Helicopter Pilots.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board