AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Laguna Punta Humane Society/Saga - 09/13/00 11:12 AM
I'm still having trouble digesting this one. I can't quite understand why giving a dog a scrap of food is so evil. The dog is there. Its not going to disappear just because you don't give it that bone from yo red beans and rice. Dogs being dogs, they'll still copulate on an empty stomach as well as full. My understanding is that periodically, a sweep is made of the strays and they are destroyed. San Pedro has more trouble with stray people than dogs.
Posted By: dphil56 Re: Humane Society/Saga - 09/13/00 11:35 AM
Bravah!! That one was worth waiting all night for!! Where I come from, we wouldn't know what it's like to eat without some sort of canine sitting there licking his chops. We've also had our share of "folks with good intentions" rush down and try to save us from ourselves. Can't wait to visit Sand Paid Row!
Posted By: Chloe Re: Humane Society/Saga - 09/13/00 02:31 PM
Bill you are The Man with the wisdom.
I had a lot of trouble with the that theory of not feeding the dogs, like it would be more humane, to watch a dog starve to death,
than feed him. Since I do not carry a weapon,
my only recourse is to feed him. Yeah like people in the US do not feed their dogs people food. Truly we are the only family I know, that never feed our dogs people food, and that is to keep them trim, not over weight. But if I did not have dog food, you bet I would feed them all of my food. Sand Paid Row.
Posted By: TickTock Re: Humane Society/Saga - 09/13/00 03:26 PM
Well said all of you...

While I was on San Padro last week...it was hard not to notice the dogs, however, these same dogs looked like they were having just a fine time. I watched 2 in particular make their way from the road and trot down to the beach and go sit in the water to cool off. They knew what they were doing [Linked Image]

Chloe, I also never feed my dogs people food, but if the cupboard was bare, you bet I would give up my food for them.
Jill
Posted By: lmarquis Re: Humane Society/Saga - 09/13/00 03:36 PM
If a hungry animal is around, I'll be feeding it when I am down there.
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Humane Society/Saga - 09/13/00 07:57 PM
Thanks folks, I'm glad I'm not the only idiot ta feed dogs. What I did get from this rather painful ordeal is that I now realize that feeding Coldamundi (SP) Cheetos is probably bad, and I will definately think twice next time. I really hope San Pedro stays, like me, backwards and not ready for prime time.
Posted By: Belize Mama Re: Humane Society/Saga - 09/13/00 08:08 PM
Amen to that, Bill. Let's keep it just the way it is. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Chloe Re: Humane Society/Saga - 09/13/00 08:47 PM
YOU BET! Keep it just like Bill said. I've seen enough prime time, too.
Posted By: Debbie Re: Humane Society/Saga - 09/13/00 10:37 PM
The Coatamundi (SP) thank you......
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Humane Society/Saga - 09/14/00 02:28 AM
since i am a cat owner, i also feed the restaurant cats. my husband always says i shouldnt, but i always do. my only thought at the time: "my cats at home would be turning their noses up at this tenderloin". again, each of you bring a bag of cheap dog food with you when you come, and go for it.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board