AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: elbert Bridge Rates - 07/24/12 07:43 PM
[Linked Image]
Posted By: elbert Re: Bridge Rates - 07/24/12 08:41 PM
But that's only if you wake the guard:-)
Posted By: pirate villas Re: Bridge Rates - 07/24/12 10:02 PM
about two weeks ago on my bicycle loaded with groceries in the basket and on the handles, I stopped for the security to lift the bar up, yes he got up and lifted it up then said "Miss, next time you need to ride on the side walk because the lady sitting in the booth does not like when I lift up the bar for locals and ordered me not to do so" it was the funniest thing I heard in a while! I laughed as loud as possible, my bicycle could barely pass through the space and plus i thought a sidewalk was for pedestrians only...
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Bridge Rates - 07/25/12 03:34 PM
One of the ladies in the booth is so rude it staggers the imagination. It's a terrible representation of the island.
Do make a note of the complaint numbers and use them.
Posted By: catdance62 Re: Bridge Rates - 07/25/12 05:38 PM
just curious....where does the money go that is collected for the bridge?
Posted By: pirate villas Re: Bridge Rates - 07/25/12 05:52 PM
it all goes for the 4 pieces of plywood they recently installed
Posted By: elbert Re: Bridge Rates - 07/25/12 06:24 PM
true a little paint and some plywood over the holes.
The bridge is loosing ground .
Posted By: Nobody You Know Re: Bridge Rates - 07/26/12 03:54 AM
It goes to maintain the bridge, silly...
Posted By: Tim Callanan Re: Bridge Rates - 07/26/12 04:35 AM
Cum on guys,
I Made an appointment with the Mayor last week asking these same questions. We were more than happy to here the progress and open minded spirit Our Mayor has. He has taken on a Goliath ,give him a break.
I will be brief which u all know.......
The crime is getting better,it will never go away. The roads all the way South - North have been filled with expensive hard core rock ! Remember "QUALITY NOT QUANTITY"
The money from the bridge is going to the road up North, I hear they are way past Grande Caribe. Thanks To our Mayor and allocating the funds up North for the toll, I prefer to see the fruit than see a hand full of seeds. J.M.O.
Posted By: seashell Re: Bridge Rates - 07/26/12 04:59 AM
But will it matter how wonderful the road is up north, if the bridge is impassable?
Posted By: ColdwellBankerSP Re: Bridge Rates - 07/26/12 06:03 AM
Love the old road, you'll miss it. A new road is coming, will never be the same, "progress breads problems" - Rt. Hon. George Price.
Posted By: elbert Re: Bridge Rates - 07/26/12 02:44 PM
I like to keep this honest. Realtors and developers like to post hype about the road to stimulate sales of Northern properties.
Some gravel fill ( several barges worth) was put in holes and graded for about three miles North of the bridge. The road is impassable North of Mata Chica, the hotel and residents have the beaches blocked so its near impossible to travel by land to the North part of the island.
This BS about a North Road has been going on for 25 years plus.
Usually the rumors start with a new proposed development on the North end and a crew of young over zealous realtors think they will sell the lots by promising/rumoring a road is coming.

Posted By: Bear Re: Bridge Rates - 07/26/12 03:37 PM
Great attitude Tim, thumbs up! I was just reflecting that the bridge toll fr a cart its a mere 2 bucks shy the Golden Gate Bridge...of course then again I'd have my ass busted for driving a golf cart across the GG. wink
Posted By: Tim Callanan Re: Bridge Rates - 07/26/12 06:54 PM
Thanks ! I try,
The cost of a Taxi should be more $ ,
People need to give thanks and quite complaining . I have driven North and South and the Road is excellent under the circumstances of all this rain ! There are more places to do , but he got the major roads in a rather fast pace. I wish people would go direct to the mayor like I did. how much of the population goes past Mata Chica ? I am happy he fixed the roads,and it is still raining . And yes, the money from the bridge goes into the roads North. Thanks Bear
Posted By: Tim Callanan Re: Bridge Rates - 07/26/12 07:29 PM
Elbert don't worry about the road, the rumor is they are putting in a monorail system smile
Posted By: Bear Re: Bridge Rates - 07/26/12 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Tim Callanan
...don't worry about the road, the rumor is they are putting in a monorail system smile

Bahahaha! Hey Tim, your real estate is showing! laugh

Posted By: elbert Re: Bridge Rates - 07/26/12 08:33 PM
I could hardly contain myself when the Road from Mexico thread was going on.
Shameless lies growing right before you eyes on the thread.

Posted By: Tim Callanan Re: Bridge Rates - 07/26/12 09:23 PM
I never saw that link ,do you have a reference.
Posted By: elbert Re: Bridge Rates - 07/26/12 09:23 PM
Wouldn't it be great to have a road direct from Mexico to Ambergris Caye, Mexico is doing so well they have droped from
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/352281/20120614/mexico-travel-warning-alert.htm
According to the most recent homicide figures published by the Mexican government, 47,515 people were killed in narcotics-related violence in Mexico between Dec. 1, 2006, and Sept. 30, 2011, with 12,903 narcotics-related homicides in the first nine months of 2011 alone.

"Gun battles have occurred in broad daylight on streets and in other public venues, such as restaurants and clubs. During some of these incidents, U.S. citizens have been trapped and temporarily prevented from leaving the area," the latest nationwide travel advisory said.
Things are looking up in Mexico, 20'000 fewer violent deaths is impressive!
Posted By: elbert Re: Bridge Rates - 07/26/12 09:26 PM
The Road to Mexico link I can't find , I not sharp with the ambergris caye message board search engine.
Marty has tried to explain it , talking slow and not using any big words but i still don't have much success with it.
Posted By: Tim Callanan Re: Bridge Rates - 07/26/12 09:35 PM
I couldn't agree more, Belize is the country for me.
Posted By: elbert Re: Bridge Rates - 07/26/12 09:43 PM
I have Mexico to thank for one biggie, this year is killer business wise and from the mouths of the visitors themselves I hear 'Mexico is dangerous, that's why we chose Belize this year!'
so Thanks again Mexico!
Posted By: krehfish Re: Bridge Rates - 07/26/12 09:50 PM
Try "Corona Steve" for the monorail/bridge thread
Posted By: elbert Re: Bridge Rates - 07/26/12 09:56 PM
//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/349269/Searchpage/1/Main/36736/Words/Corona+Steve/Search/true/Re_Road_north_from_San_Pedro.html#Post349269
Posted By: Tim Callanan Re: Bridge Rates - 07/26/12 10:04 PM
Thanks I missed that one, Some silly topics, I tend to skip.
Posted By: SnoopysMom Re: Bridge Rates - 09/24/12 09:20 PM
I had an altercation with this woman today (featured in the original post photo) and have decided to pursue it in order to improve customer service. After 5 years of having quarterly/ monthly passes she continues to stop me in a harassing manner and demand my pass while others are waved through. She refused to provide her name and replied "you are wasting your time". It is important to note that the other employees have never behaved in this manner, so this is a specific complaint regarding a specific employee.

I went straight to the town council to file a complaint and they also refused to document the complaint or even provide the employee's name (really?), saying instead that everyone has to stop each trip and present the pass. Hmmmmm
Posted By: pirate villas Re: Bridge Rates - 09/24/12 10:17 PM
I TOTALLY agree..that woman...whatever it's name is... is EXTREMELY rude!
Posted By: MacGyver Re: Bridge Rates - 09/24/12 10:39 PM
That woman could be upset because the booth is very small, with no bathrooms. Imagine how fun it must be to sit in 90 degree heat all day while wearing a diaper.
Posted By: champion Re: Bridge Rates - 09/24/12 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by MacGyver
That woman could be upset because the booth is very small, with no bathrooms. Imagine how fun it must be to sit in 90 degree heat all day while wearing a diaper.

Whats that got to do with anything, the rest aren't like her.
Posted By: SnoopysMom Re: Bridge Rates - 09/24/12 11:10 PM
Or she might be upset that we are paying toll $$s directly to town council? And, BTW, my daily observation is that the crew there typically have plenty of freedom to come and go....
Posted By: belizeonthebeach Re: Bridge Rates - 09/24/12 11:11 PM
Lighten up on the poor lady.
It's a thankless job. Everyone tries to explain why they should not have to pay and cross for free. Although I totally agree she is a meany it's just part of the job. She only checks me about once every month or so. Like a game we play and I usually win. She caught me today. Good for her. Just hope they spend some dinero on the bridge itself one of these days.
Posted By: doggirl Re: Bridge Rates - 09/25/12 12:42 PM
Try buying her a cold Coke once in a while, it goes a long way.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Bridge Rates - 09/25/12 01:42 PM
I have had nothing but sour looks from this woman regardless of what is happening.
On other occasions she has leveled some very nasty comments.
There is no excuse whatsoever for this. I too have asked her name only to get a snarky response.
The guard smiles and says hi. Belizean culture is generally friendly and open - she's not even close to polite much less "nice".
Like it or not, she is a part of our tourist experience and it's not a welcoming or happy part of it at all.
IMHO this lady needs to be replaced.

PS - I think the bridge should be free anyway.
Posted By: BeBelize Re: Bridge Rates - 09/25/12 02:59 PM
We have not had any problems with the women working in the hut since we live here and ride bikes, so we do not have to pay a toll. The newest (male) guard, however, won't even say hello. We say "good morning" and wave every time we go through, but he just stares at us. There sure has been a LOT of turnover at that position in the last year. Some of the guards have been much friendlier than the current one. But as long as he doesn't bother us, I guess I have to live with unfriendliness (though it's so un-Belizean to me!)
Posted By: MacGyver Re: Bridge Rates - 10/08/12 10:50 AM
ha ha. "That woman, whatever its name is.."
Posted By: Islenutt Re: Bridge Rates - 10/08/12 03:12 PM
Last Tuesday I paid going across north and got the receipts as usual. On the way back when I handed her the second one she said both were hole punched and tried to charge us again. I refused to pay again and stood there. After a minute she said ok go ahead. That's the first time I've had that happen and from now on I will look at both receipts when I pay.
Posted By: arklatex Re: Bridge Rates - 10/08/12 08:25 PM
I am glad we are staying south of town this year.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Bridge Rates - 10/08/12 10:25 PM
no need to miss the north due to a surly bridge lady --- most guests save time and money, plus have a much more beautiful ride by taking a water taxi.

Posted By: elbert Re: Bridge Rates - 10/08/12 10:42 PM
The Toll Lady is nice to me and smiles.
Posted By: champion Re: Bridge Rates - 10/08/12 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by elbert
The Toll Lady is nice to me and smiles.

But she thinks yur purdy.
Posted By: SnoopysMom Re: Bridge Rates - 10/09/12 02:36 PM
Can you do a look see if it's the same lady in the original photo on page 1? If so, a smile from her could qualify for "photo of the day"!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board