AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Oceana Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/23/12 05:43 PM
Hi, all, new forum member with a question.

I'm planning on coming in on the QRP program. I would like to bring my Cobalt 24' bowrider from the U.S. This is not for commercial use.

Obviously, this is not a skiff. Will I have depth difficulty in AC and on the Placencia peninsula. Is the general area OK for pleasure craft of this type?

What are the steps? I believe that it will be duty free, but how do I register it with Belize, and is there a fee?

All comments appreciated.
Posted By: CaptOneIron Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/23/12 07:12 PM
I came in under the QRP program and brought lots of things but not a boat which I acquired in country. The people that handle the QRP can help you with the paperwork but beware because the customs people don't like your doing this even though it is perfectly legit. I would pay attention to any accessories and make sure that these are identified on the QRP paperwork as well (radar, seats, even engines) and would still hire a customs broker to make sure nothing goes wrong (and hopefully nothing goes missing).
Posted By: Oceana Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/23/12 08:00 PM
Thanks, Cap'n-

I will be using a customs broker for everything that comes down from the states. Only bringing a motorcycle, boat, family heirlooms, bed, and some electronics, 2 bikes and wife. Everything else that we need (furniture, dishes, silverware) we will buy in Belize.
Posted By: dabunk Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/23/12 10:04 PM
The law was changed several years ago. You are required to use a broker since then.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/23/12 10:06 PM
what is the draft of your boat?
Posted By: Oceana Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/24/12 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
what is the draft of your boat?

3 ft,
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/24/12 01:40 PM
You can go lots of places with a 3 ft draft but hopefully Simon can comment in more detail. He's our local expert.

You won't be tooling around the lagoon behind San Pedro, and you won't be going to Robles but you can do quite a bit. 3 feet does seem a deep draft for 24 foot boat though - we have so many local boats of that size with a lot less draft and much greater access to shallower waters.

Posted By: SFJeff Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/24/12 03:48 PM
Boat is an inboard correct? 3' is probably its maximum draft, I'd imagine it floats considerably shallower. Just as practical of a question though is "how deep of water does it take to get up on plane?" Lot's of places here (leeward side of island, south of island) that you can run through without stirring up/marking the bottom, but when you come off plane you're going to find yourself idling for a long time to find deeper water to get back up ON plane. In front of the island/main part of town, going dock to dock, the draft will not be much of a problem.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/24/12 06:22 PM
I looked up the Cobalts on the web - very pretty boats!
Hate to burst your bubble but they just don't look suitable for this environment.

Posted By: gkyle Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/24/12 07:27 PM
My two cents. That Cobalt, one fine ride. I live in the sunny south where anything goes, from charters to bass trackers. Got to thinking about buying a boat and for the life of me I couldn't figure out who would want an ugly "panga, mexican skiff or equal". Well,it didn't take long for me to figure, they fit the "lay of the land", flexible in depth changes, which you will find inside the reef, wind,tide changes and the list goes on and on, for me anyway. I have a 24 ft with a 90 honda. I can go anywhere, even outside the reef, weather permiting. The inability to trim the motor would be huge in my book. Just look around. Go to captain sharks boat yard (that's where I keep mine. And shall I mention security. Like I said, just my two cents
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/24/12 08:47 PM
Draft is 18 �" with the drive up and 37" with it down.
Posted By: Oceana Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/24/12 09:15 PM
Hate to burst your bubble but they just don't look suitable for this environment.

Diane-

Please explain why?

Posted By: Oceana Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/24/12 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by gkyle
My two cents. That Cobalt, one fine ride. I live in the sunny south where anything goes, from charters to bass trackers. Got to thinking about buying a boat and for the life of me I couldn't figure out who would want an ugly "panga, mexican skiff or equal". Well,it didn't take long for me to figure, they fit the "lay of the land", flexible in depth changes, which you will find inside the reef, wind,tide changes and the list goes on and on, for me anyway. I have a 24 ft with a 90 honda. I can go anywhere, even outside the reef, weather permiting. The inability to trim the motor would be huge in my book. Just look around. Go to captain sharks boat yard (that's where I keep mine. And shall I mention security. Like I said, just my two cents

I do realize that it may not be perfect for the conditions. We plan to do some open-water cruising, as well. With my draft, I will not be able to just beach it, which is OK. I don't mind getting wet.

We really like the comfort of a bowrunner, as opposed to a skiff, which look great for fishing (which I don't do) and standing. If there are boats that are local that match mine in terms of reasonable seating, cruising, etc., I would be all eyes!
Posted By: belizeonthebeach Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/24/12 09:48 PM
If you need the vessel for transportation the Mexican high bow is the driest skiff around.
Some days when you have no choice but to travel in the sea to town or wherever a bow-rider or a bass boat is no fun at all. I took my kid to school by boat for years and some days it just plain sucked. Making that trip in a sport boat would have been nasty.
Posted By: Pokey Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/24/12 09:54 PM
You might want to talk to the folks at El Secreto. They have 3 similar boats.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/24/12 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Oceana

Diane-

Please explain why?

Before coming here I'd used a rowboat to go out on inland lakes in Michigan and flipped over a few canoes but that was about it. We moved to a place 5 miles north of San Pedro and for many years the only mode of transport was by boat. We learned some hilarious lessons, and some expensive ones as well adapting to this new way of getting around. After 20 years I've owned quite a few boats, and have driven a few I did not own. None have been larger commercial ones, none with two engines, but I have come to feel like a decent captain in this limited environment. Given that background, here is my advice - take it in context, and enjoy your move to Belize!

Center consoles are what most folks want here because the boat weight balances better - I think that your boat is like a car with a driver sitting on one side of the boat. I had one like that and because I often traveled in it solo I ended up carrying some cement blocks in it to place on the "passenger" side for balance.

Having the option to comfortably stand rather than sit low in a chair to drive the boat is also a good thing - being forced to sit low whist going through chop is hard on the lower back.
Driving a former water-ski boat with a snazzy bucket seat, followed by a whaler with a low-height console and a "chair" taught me this one.

Windshields get taken off most boats around here pretty quickly (on purpose) - they get foggy really fast and block the view. Owning three boats outfitted windshields taught me this one.

For whatever reason, pretty much every small-boat with an inboard that comes into the area ends up not working out for the owner. Having never had an inboard I can't personally tell you why they fail, but looking around here you won't see many on the water. This is purely observation - no personal experience.

Inside the reef, going up and down the eastern shore of the island is perhaps the most common route we travel. Should you also do this, you will find that you are running abeam to the seas much of the time. Depending on how deep your v-hull is, you can end up with the current grabbing the deeper hull and pitching you to an uncomfortable angle - into the waves. This makes for a wet ride, and difficulty steering. Unfortunately this happens when the water is at its roughest, when it's nice to have more not less control of your boat.
Owning a somewhat higher end Pursuit taught me this one. I have no idea if this is a part of the design of your boat, but with such a deep draft I am thinking it may be a factor for you.

I now own a McKee craft - shallow draft, hard to park/tie up (without damage to the boat) due to corners on the front, but with most of the rest of the problem areas eliminated. Rough ride in heavy chop but a dry boat, fast and easy to handle. I find it hits 80% of my wants and needs list which for a multi-purpose boat is pretty good.

Try to get a self-bailing boat if possible - in some of our heavier rains the auto bilge can run your battery down to nothing, and sometimes they get seaweed or something stuck in them --- a sunken boat is a real bummer. We seem to have three or four boat-sinker rains a year. If you are able to have a boat-lift then this is not a worry, but most of us don't have them for whatever reason.

Boats are holes in the water into which you pour money - but they sure are fun. Just hoping you get the right one for the circumstances. Looking around you see more panga-style boats than anything - they were designed by the Mexican Navy for waters such as our own --- looking back, had I used my head I'd have gotten one of those, but I think we buy boats with our hearts not our heads.

Posted By: bywarren Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/25/12 12:07 AM
Wow, Diane. I am impressed. That is some great advice backed up by reasoning, the best kind, from experience.
Posted By: Oceana Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/25/12 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by Oceana

Diane-

Please explain why?

Before coming here I'd used a rowboat to go out on inland lakes in Michigan and flipped over a few canoes but that was about it. We moved to a place 5 miles north of San Pedro and for many years the only mode of transport was by boat. We learned some hilarious lessons, and some expensive ones as well adapting to this new way of getting around. After 20 years I've owned quite a few boats, and have driven a few I did not own. None have been larger commercial ones, none with two engines, but I have come to feel like a decent captain in this limited environment. Given that background, here is my advice - take it in context, and enjoy your move to Belize!

Center consoles are what most folks want here because the boat weight balances better - I think that your boat is like a car with a driver sitting on one side of the boat. I had one like that and because I often traveled in it solo I ended up carrying some cement blocks in it to place on the "passenger" side for balance.

Having the option to comfortably stand rather than sit low in a chair to drive the boat is also a good thing - being forced to sit low whist going through chop is hard on the lower back.
Driving a former water-ski boat with a snazzy bucket seat, followed by a whaler with a low-height console and a "chair" taught me this one.

Windshields get taken off most boats around here pretty quickly (on purpose) - they get foggy really fast and block the view. Owning three boats outfitted windshields taught me this one.

For whatever reason, pretty much every small-boat with an inboard that comes into the area ends up not working out for the owner. Having never had an inboard I can't personally tell you why they fail, but looking around here you won't see many on the water. This is purely observation - no personal experience.

Inside the reef, going up and down the eastern shore of the island is perhaps the most common route we travel. Should you also do this, you will find that you are running abeam to the seas much of the time. Depending on how deep your v-hull is, you can end up with the current grabbing the deeper hull and pitching you to an uncomfortable angle - into the waves. This makes for a wet ride, and difficulty steering. Unfortunately this happens when the water is at its roughest, when it's nice to have more not less control of your boat.
Owning a somewhat higher end Pursuit taught me this one. I have no idea if this is a part of the design of your boat, but with such a deep draft I am thinking it may be a factor for you.

I now own a McKee craft - shallow draft, hard to park/tie up (without damage to the boat) due to corners on the front, but with most of the rest of the problem areas eliminated. Rough ride in heavy chop but a dry boat, fast and easy to handle. I find it hits 80% of my wants and needs list which for a multi-purpose boat is pretty good.

Try to get a self-bailing boat if possible - in some of our heavier rains the auto bilge can run your battery down to nothing, and sometimes they get seaweed or something stuck in them --- a sunken boat is a real bummer. We seem to have three or four boat-sinker rains a year. If you are able to have a boat-lift then this is not a worry, but most of us don't have them for whatever reason.

Boats are holes in the water into which you pour money - but they sure are fun. Just hoping you get the right one for the circumstances. Looking around you see more panga-style boats than anything - they were designed by the Mexican Navy for waters such as our own --- looking back, had I used my head I'd have gotten one of those, but I think we buy boats with our hearts not our heads.

Thanks, Diane, wonderful and insightful post. I appreciate the comments and thoughts.

To hit a couple of the spots: yes, we will have a winch. Yes, the boat is self-bailing. Boat has pilot stand, 3/4 stand and sit capabilities. I know that it can be a bit of a rough ride. I am going to bring it down and see how it goes. Worst case, I send it back to Houston and sell it to someone there.

Understand about the deep hole concept-my wife competes in professional equestrian and we have 3 Thoroughbreds.

Posted By: SimonB Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/25/12 01:15 AM
The points noted by Diane are very true especially the side wave factor which makes a bowrider a horrible boat to have on Ambergris Caye. Using the boat in Placencia (depending on where you're going) isn't so much of an issue as you will likely not be side on as much.

The areas you travel will have the same restrictions as a low draft sailboat so the back side could be tricky. It will take you years to learn where you can and can't go (it's not like we have real charts to work with). Even the front side of the island is not a point and go. Anyone coming down with their own boat would be well off to hire a local captain to drive it for them for any trip they haven't done several times so they can at least learn some of the waters and avoid the unmarked coral heads and shoals.

Better to sell the bowrider and buy a nice lanchon when you get down here.
Posted By: bywarren Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/25/12 01:39 AM
Lots of talk about the hull design not being practical, there also is the concern about availability of parts for the engine. Not that engines ever need parts, especially in Belize. wink
Posted By: gkyle Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/25/12 02:24 AM
Do you have a "like" button...jam up
Posted By: LarkCayeRes Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/25/12 02:52 AM
The previous posters know way more than me about the best boat. However, if you have the boat and you like it don't worry. You are going out for pleasure, not work, the weather will be nice (assuming you check). Bow riders are not rough weather boats, which you knew when you bought it. I would get a kicker engine, a boat lift with a roof, and a service manual. Plan to do your own work. Order your parts on-line. Get retired ASAP!
Posted By: Oceana Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/25/12 05:22 AM
Originally Posted by LarkCayeRes
The previous posters know way more than me about the best boat. However, if you have the boat and you like it don't worry. You are going out for pleasure, not work, the weather will be nice (assuming you check). Bow riders are not rough weather boats, which you knew when you bought it. I would get a kicker engine, a boat lift with a roof, and a service manual. Plan to do your own work. Order your parts on-line. Get retired ASAP!

I AM retired. BTW, I will be living in Placencia. I'll be down in a couple of weeks for a month, so will check out the lay of the land.

Thanks all for the comments.
Posted By: Oceana Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/29/12 09:02 PM
Thanks to all of the wonderful input, I have sourced a different boat-one with an 4-stroke outboard and 12" draft.

My next question revolves around potential servicing in Belize: Suzuki or Yamaha?
Posted By: champion Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/29/12 09:08 PM
Yamaha
Posted By: ron Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/29/12 09:42 PM
Yamaha. I have had to bring parts for a friend's Suzuki motor. Never had a problem with parts for my Yamaha.
Posted By: Oceana Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/30/12 02:31 AM
Diane? Waiting for your pearls of wisdom here cool
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/30/12 01:48 PM
I have a 4-stroke Mercury. Why - long story.
Performance has been good and up here in San Pedro the mechanics are able to work on it without a problem.
That being said, my boat for pleasure. It's not run at full load and capacity day in and day out, and there has been little need for repair.
Yamaha is the workhorse standard for most of our tour operators and fishermen.
Posted By: gkyle Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/30/12 03:06 PM
Diane is right. The motor of choice is by far Yamaha. I have a honda 90 4-stroke, came with the boat. There is a mechanic "Caesar" on the lagoon side, just south of the airport. I have found him to be helpful.
Posted By: AC Lover Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/30/12 04:53 PM
You may want to ask yourself this question "how many Yamaha engines were stolen in the last 3 months and how many Suzuki engines were stolen?"......both can be easily maintained.
Posted By: Oceana Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/30/12 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by AC Lover
You may want to ask yourself this question "how many Yamaha engines were stolen in the last 3 months and how many Suzuki engines were stolen?"......both can be easily maintained.

Although an overwhelming number of responses are for Yamaha, I am wondering if that is because there are just more Yamaha's in use in Belize. My question was posed as a "can I get either one fixed easily if necessary" one. I know that Yamaha is the 800 pound gorilla in outboards.

Finding mechanics to work on either one of these engines should be same-same, as both engines are purpose-built for the same function. I would think that an outboard is an outboard, in terms of how they are repaired and maintained, and that a decent mechanic could fix either.

I guess that the real question is: Are parts more difficult to source for Suzuki than Yamaha?

Posted By: CaptOneIron Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/30/12 05:35 PM
The operative words in your post are 'a decent mechanic' and parts are always an issue for everything in Belize.
Posted By: ragman Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/30/12 08:49 PM
In my experience there are more Yamaha's not only in Belize but all over Central America and the Caribbean. Has been this was for many years. I was told once that they produce an International model that is not sold in the USA and that it was easier to work on because it doesn't have to meet USA pollution regs. Not sure if that is still true but.....

Also the "International" model was cheaper than a Yamaha purchased in the USA.
Posted By: Oceana Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/30/12 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by ragman
In my experience there are more Yamaha's not only in Belize but all over Central America and the Caribbean. Has been this was for many years. I was told once that they produce an International model that is not sold in the USA and that it was easier to work on because it doesn't have to meet USA pollution regs. Not sure if that is still true but.....

Also the "International" model was cheaper than a Yamaha purchased in the USA.

Good to know about the International motor. Just called my dealer to inquire, as this boat will be new and not registered in any state prior to being shipped to Belize under the QRP. The price of the boat includes the motor, so he is finding out if his Yamaha rep can get one for international delivery.
Posted By: belizeonthebeach Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/30/12 11:26 PM
The motors here come directly from Japan I think.
The US motors are much harder to find parts for here.
If you can get the boat with no motors I would do that. Get the motors here.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 08/31/12 04:18 AM
Best to buy a motor here, not there.
Posted By: Gaz Cooper Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 09/01/12 04:50 PM
After 16 years in Belize operating multiple dive shops and up to 15 dive boats at one time I would always buy Yamaha over any other Engine on offer in Belize.

Yamaha are the favorite for a reason, reliability, easy to get fixed, good service, and easy to get parts.

Yamaha all the way baby smile

Gaz Cooper
Posted By: ragman Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 09/01/12 10:48 PM
I doubt you will be able to buy the "International" model of Yamaha in the USA. I tried to in St. Thomas and had to go to St. Martin to get it. It was worth the trip as I remember, it was much cheaper.

Believe me you want a Yamaha and there are people here perfectly capable to setting it up for you and maintaining it.
Posted By: Oceana Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 09/06/12 12:51 AM
Update:

I did get my boat manufacturer to source me a new "international" standards Yamaha engine for my new boat. I also have documentation that the warranty will be honored everywhere but the U.S., as the boat will be sent straight from the manufacturer to Houston for trans-shipment to Belize when I get my QRP approved.

As an added bonus, the engine was about 20% less than its American-spec'd counterpart.
Posted By: lizalou Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 09/07/12 03:09 AM
Before you close the deal you may want to speak with Danny Madrid at Marelco in BZ City. They are a major importer of Yamaha engines and as many people have stated not much of the Yamaha model line is available here. I have brought down several boats and engines from the states and bought a few from Danny. Parts are a real concern. As far as the warranty is concerned you will probably need to bring your boat up to BZ City from placencia to have warranty work done. Maybe someone from down south has more knowledge of Yamaha dealers down there.
Posted By: ragman Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 09/07/12 04:02 AM
Thanks for the update.

If you haven't already you may want to consider one of the new electronic devices that will help you locate your vessel and motor if it mysteriously disappears. If you ask or use the search device there have been discussions on this.

Thefts of boats and motors are a problem everywhere that you will need to protect yourself from. Especially nice new boats and motors. When I bought my nice new Yamaha engine for my tender the first thing I did was paint the engine cover yellow so I could spot it anywhere. My wife thought I lost my mind but that and other precautions kept me united with my possessions. It looked a little odd but what the hell.

Today there are more sophisticated methods that you could use. Good luck
Posted By: Oceana Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 09/14/12 05:27 AM
Originally Posted by ragman
Thanks for the update.

If you haven't already you may want to consider one of the new electronic devices that will help you locate your vessel and motor if it mysteriously disappears. If you ask or use the search device there have been discussions on this.

Thefts of boats and motors are a problem everywhere that you will need to protect yourself from. Especially nice new boats and motors. When I bought my nice new Yamaha engine for my tender the first thing I did was paint the engine cover yellow so I could spot it anywhere. My wife thought I lost my mind but that and other precautions kept me united with my possessions. It looked a little odd but what the hell.

Today there are more sophisticated methods that you could use. Good luck

That was an excellent suggestion, and I called the boat builder and asked them to spec it for me. They were happy to do so, as they had a third party vendor that they use for just this purpose.

In the end, I decided to order my motor here, rather than with the boat. I get a longer warranty here in Belize, which is of more importance than saving a few bucks up front. The added bonus is that I build a little goodwill with the dealer here.

Many thanks for all the comments and suggestions on this thread.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 09/14/12 02:40 PM
I believe that your US purchase motor-warranty will only apply if you send the motor back to the US (in which case you will be paying fees and shipping costs both ways).
Posted By: Bear Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 09/14/12 03:21 PM
I believe that your US purchase motor-warranty will only apply if you send the motor back to the US (in which case you will be paying fees and shipping costs both ways).

What's the phrase?..the devil is in the details? In this case the fine print on the warranty. Maybe as a follow up to Dianes excellent reminder/comment double check with the manufacturer to see if the Belizean dealer is listed for international warranty repairs .
Posted By: Oceana Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 09/14/12 07:31 PM
Maybe I did not make myself clear: I am ordering a motor in Belize, from a dealer. It will have a Belize warranty.
Posted By: belizeonthebeach Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 09/14/12 08:00 PM
You don't hear the words 'Belize' and 'warranty' in the same sentence very often.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 09/14/12 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by belizeonthebeach
You don't hear the words 'Belize' and 'warranty' in the same sentence very often.

Words of wisdom........
Posted By: Oceana Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 09/15/12 01:30 AM
Originally Posted by Loansum-Al K
Originally Posted by belizeonthebeach

Words of wisdom........

I have it in writing from both the dealer and the motor maker. This ain't my first rodeo.......
Posted By: lizalou Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 09/15/12 10:15 PM
I am sure it is not your first rodeo, but it may be your first Belizean rodeo.As long as the motor is from Marelco Ltd. you will have no problem with the warranty. If it is from any of the reseller's "good luck". From my experience the Yamaha's, particularly the four strokes, hold up really well down here.
Posted By: elbert Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 09/16/12 01:41 AM
Yes , Danny from Marelco, can't go wrong with a Yamaha in the caribbean.
Posted By: gkyle Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 09/16/12 02:05 AM
With a new motor you may want to ask questions like "do you preform the intial service onsite or will I be required to bring it to the dealer? I bargined with my new motor purchase and they came to SP for the first service. Was it really a bargin, I'll never know. Was in my mind anyway.....
Posted By: Phil Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 09/16/12 05:27 PM
Several good mechanics on the Caye used to be certified Yamaha/Marelco agents to carry out the warranty repairs and servicing locally. Used to be Cesar Osmin +1. Sure Marelco will give a current list.
Posted By: Oceana Re: Pleasure craft from U.S. - 09/17/12 01:54 AM
The boat will be Placencia-based. Thanks for the heads-up re: warranty. I am dealing with Danny at Marelco.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board