AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: kotanali Buying cigars? - 09/26/12 12:26 AM
Is there a good cigar shop in San Pedro where I might be able to buy cuban cigars or is there a duty free cigar shop at the airport? Thanks.
Posted By: Bwana Re: Buying cigars? - 09/26/12 05:41 AM
There are a lot of fake Cubans around, go to Havana Cigars for the real deal.

http://havanacigarsbelize.com/
Posted By: Nobody You Know Re: Buying cigars? - 09/26/12 02:13 PM
I take exception to that remark. Most of the Cubans I have met were warm, genuine people...
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Buying cigars? - 09/26/12 04:52 PM
My favoprite is the Rum, Coffee, Cigar shop on Middle Street.
Saul will prepare your cigars in such a way as to make it easy for you to take them home.
He also roasts his own coffee and I buy the beans from him. They are always very fresh.
Posted By: Bwana Re: Buying cigars? - 09/26/12 09:36 PM
I should, but I'm not going to name names here. One of the ways to check for a fake Cuban cigar is to take your finger and feel the label. If the label is flat, you are looking at a fake. They stamp the labels out at the factory with a machine, so the real labels will have ridges and indentations that you can easily feel with the end of your finger. There are other things to look for, but that seems to be the easiest way to tell around there.
Posted By: Oceana Re: Buying cigars? - 09/27/12 04:14 PM
Does anyone know of a quality cigar seller in BC? I will be coming through there on the way to Placencia.
Posted By: Bear Re: Buying cigars? - 10/01/12 12:15 AM
Bwana is correct use Carlos at Havana Cigars on Front.
Posted By: Decompression Re: Buying cigars? - 10/01/12 02:20 AM
Bear,
I took your advice a while back, and have made a few visits to Saul's Rum Shop.
His walk in Humidor is very nice, and have sampled a few nice sticks. The Pura Maya's, and he has had a few Beliceno's as well.
Nice guy too.

The rum samples help of course.:D

Thanks,

DC

Ps...I have smoked many a Dominican Cohiba, that had embossed bands, so....
Posted By: Bear Re: Buying cigars? - 10/01/12 02:48 AM
DC, thats good. I liked Sauls shop he takes a lot of pride in his products. I should clarify; I was only agreeing with Bwanas recommendation of Havana's. Counterfeit Cubans are so rampant (everywhere) and the quality of counterfeting so high with respect to the labeling that I finally just settled on a store where the product met my own standards of taste and product quality. But I have to say that I was intitally led to Carlos' as he was specifically identifed as the only authorized Habanos dealer in Belize when I researched it through Habanos' website and had an email exchange with their regional distributor. Personally I'm satisfied with the product and quality at Havanas.

Cigars are such a matter of personal choise and taste that I simply view them like wine...if you like it, great! Your favorite might 2 Buck Chuck, or it could be a Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon, as long as you like it who cares?
Posted By: Decompression Re: Buying cigars? - 10/01/12 02:54 AM
Bear,
Very true. A lot of people are really into expensive cigars,( Cubans or others) just because they are expensive!

My regular smokers are $4.00 Rocky Patels that are surprisingly tasty, especially after aging for about a month in the humidor.

Plus, they don't break the bank.

It's all good.

Cheers,

DC
Posted By: Oceana Re: Buying cigars? - 10/01/12 07:44 PM
Not being in Belize currently, I am confused about the 2 shops mentioned above. Which is in Belize City and which is on AC? Are either one a LCDH?

Thanks
Posted By: Oceana Re: Buying cigars? - 10/01/12 09:05 PM
A couple more questions re: cigars in Belize. Please remember that I am moving to Placencia in the next month, so know next to nothing regarding availability and opportunities for cigars there.

1) Are custom-made humidors available, or is it just the typical branded group that I find in the States?
2) Are there websites for the better-known cigar shops? What is the closest authorized Cuban dealer and,
3) are they trustworthy regarding real vs. fakes?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: hsmunoz Re: Buying cigars? - 10/01/12 09:21 PM
he everyone
first post!
I have been to Belize several times and just got back from SP.
on the question of cuban cigars. here is my advice,
unless you know how to tell a real cuban branded cigar from a street turd, I would bring my own to Belize. I have been to several shops including those mentioned here, and I can tell you that I have seen fake cigars sitting on a shelf right next to a genuine article in several places. I have seen fake Cohiba everywhere. Even one time in a legit Cohiba box, they just resuse a legit box and through in street turds with cohiba bands.

bring your own, or buy a cheap and cheerful street turd, and forget the "cuba" hype.
cheers
Posted By: beachbumin Re: Buying cigars? - 10/01/12 09:34 PM
So much for the Cubans... What about local availability of Dominican or Nicaraguan, Camaroon or Maduro wrappers? Will be down in less than a month for an extended stay and am curious about my options. Not a fan of the ones rolled locally.
Posted By: Bear Re: Buying cigars? - 10/01/12 09:36 PM
1) I have not seen one, but you could proabably have one built. In fact I encourage it, support local craftsman.

2) Not that I'm aware of. The Scoop did a nice piece on Sauls place (The Rum Cigar and Coffee Shop in SP) which is probably the best known with the largest humidor, but I could find no basis for accredation as an authorized dealer with Habanos S.A....Havanas on Front St, however did. I was a bit surprised that Saul hung his hat almost exclusively on "Cubans" when there are many other cigars from the Caribbean that are noteworthy. My recollection is that he does stock a few local "Belizean" brands. I'll admit I havent tried them. Oh by the way the Airport Duty Free was not an accredited Habanos dealer either.

Wallen's Grocery and several of the Chinese owned "Supers" in Plancencia carry "Cohibas"(?) but my own trials with those sad crispy sticks left me cold regardless of authenticy. In fact I dont like Cohibas period; even the real ones. So I may not be the best judge of that brand from the stables of Habanos. The fact is youre going to see Cuban Cigars touted everywhichaway in everyewhichplace.

3) You take your chances. I can tell you categorically that if you have a cigar palate and you taste a true Cuban (Habanos S.A.) cigar vs a half assed fake and youre going to know it immediately.

There are plenty of Cuban seed cigars from Nicaragua, Dominica and elsewhere and many are quite good. I'd find a cigar you like and forget about whether its a real cuban or not. IMHO there are plenty of non-cuban cigars out there (but maybe not for sale in Belize) that beat the pants out of a true Cuban gorwn and rolled cigar.
Posted By: Oceana Re: Buying cigars? - 10/01/12 10:51 PM
Thanks for the info, above.

I love ALL cigars, and I know that many of the DR and Hondurans are on par with Cubans. My humidor is filled with both. Out of my +/- 400 sticks, maybe 10% are Cubans.

My questions are because I want to KEEP my humidor full. Whether it is CC or NC, makes no difference. I agree that Cohiba is an acquired taste, and not one that I have. Many other good Cubans are available which I like far better. I know the fakes, as they are pretty easy to spot if you know what to look for. I would never try to buy Cubans unless it is a Habanos, SA authorized reseller, and I would still check for authenticity.
Posted By: MacGyver Re: Buying cigars? - 10/08/12 10:44 AM
No real Cuban cigars here..there are real Cubans. You can start your own little shop like Kramer. Just watch the humidity, the drawers may stick.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board