AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Sandshaker PICS OF THE BACKSIDE - 10/23/00 10:45 PM
OK..here they are....brace yourselves.
Be sure and view the larger images.
http://www.geocities.com/belizeworld/backside.htm
Posted By: SP Daily Re: PICS OF THE BACKSIDE - 10/23/00 11:44 PM
Sad... and shocking! Even though I knew what to expect.
Posted By: CHOOCHOO Re: PICS OF THE BACKSIDE - 10/24/00 12:05 AM
SS,
I'm not sure whether to say "thanks" or not, just like Jesse. Not a surprise, not at all. Probably gonna get a little heat for your candidness, but "warts and all" is what has always made SP special. This going to take a whole lot of cleaning up.
Posted By: Chloe Re: PICS OF THE BACKSIDE - 10/24/00 12:13 AM
OUCH! God Bless those good folks, that have lost their homes. Everyone of us visiting San Pedro, should remember to be really generous with our TIPPING of these good people that will be serving you, and making our vacation a great one.
Posted By: Sandshaker Re: PICS OF THE BACKSIDE - 10/24/00 12:14 AM
Well..i hope I don't get heat.
I didn't necessarily want to post them. I took them Thursday and had no intentions of making a page out of them....but everybody kept asking about the backside and wishing they could get info.

So..there it is.

Actually, I'm just too tired to worry about flack....LOL

Sometimes the truth is ugly.
This area too will be renewed again in time...and probably be much better than before.

I've heard rumour of some building codes...so that will be good..if they can enforce it. We shall see.
Posted By: CHOOCHOO Re: PICS OF THE BACKSIDE - 10/24/00 12:24 AM
SS;
Mother Nature many times is not a "pretty thing", but a fact of life. Not to worry my friend.

Are you heading to the States for the holidays and going to miss us again?
Posted By: Sandshaker Re: PICS OF THE BACKSIDE - 10/24/00 12:32 AM
Yes...definately going home for Christmas!
Need to get outta here for a while...see my family....my son.....shop...LOL
Gonna try for around the 20th of the month.
Posted By: Daemyon Re: PICS OF THE BACKSIDE - 10/24/00 02:12 AM
Hey Tammy!
The funny(not ha ha) thing about looking at those photos is: unless you know what you're looking at from having been there before, you have no point of reference...it just looks like junk! That Boatyard is really going to take some work...
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: PICS OF THE BACKSIDE - 10/24/00 02:36 AM
Thanks for the pic's, Tammy. I can just imagine what it looks like down the road about 3 blocks where the buildings aren't so well built. Did ya go past the Boatyard?
Posted By: kimberly matson Re: PICS OF THE BACKSIDE - 10/24/00 03:09 AM
Thanks, sandshaker! These profound photos serve as motivation to diligently continue our efforts to help however we can.
Posted By: chicke Re: PICS OF THE BACKSIDE - 10/24/00 03:23 AM
As we sit on our computers in our comfy chair, with all our toys and baubles surrounding us, seeing what others donot have, it made me think. Made me think real hard. Thank you.

Love Chicke
Posted By: Sandshaker Re: PICS OF THE BACKSIDE - 10/24/00 03:33 AM
No Bill....I did not go past the Boatyard.
I'm adventurous....not crazy.

Yes...it does make you count your blessings.
I feel bad just living on Front St. where we have all our utilities. Makes me feel guilty.

This is the area that we were discussing, needing to be cleaned up first. Most of these places had outdoor bathrooms with septics. When the flood waters came in...it washed all that sewage everywhere and contaminated everything.
This is where the health hazards lie.

God forbid you should get cut or scraped while back there.

This area looks good now.....they have removed a lot of debris already.
These were taken on the 19th....almost 3 weeks after the storm. You can imagine what it looked like before. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Sandshaker (edited 10-23-2000).]
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: PICS OF THE BACKSIDE - 10/24/00 01:02 PM
Just needs alittle paint and some plywood. Will be just like new.
Posted By: Sandshaker Re: PICS OF THE BACKSIDE - 10/24/00 07:35 PM
Needs a little more than that Bill....bring your tool belt with you. (hey...you might look kinda sexy in a tool belt....lol)

Anyway....I'm confident that it will all get done....and that they have probably learned a few things about construction.

Let's hope if we ever get another hurricane, these places will hold up better.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: PICS OF THE BACKSIDE - 10/25/00 04:54 AM
t - i wouldnt worry about any flack. san pedro is what it is, like people, the beauty is within. however, the one of the boatyard got me too. caught my water taxis there. wow. really though, it wasnt nearly as bad as it could have been, as you know. the glass is half full, baby. what chicke doesnt realize, for good or bad, is that those folks didnt really have very much to begin with. our "staples" in the US are by far luxuries to the average joe there. there was a very nice and funny plumber named simon at JE. he went out of his way to help us with some problems, told funny dirty stories and we even met his little kids. i gave his kids orange tic tacs and frank tipped him $20 for being a good guy and we got big hugs and kisses when we left!
Posted By: Sandshaker Re: PICS OF THE BACKSIDE - 10/25/00 10:45 AM
True Jane...even the smallest of things are appreciated here. [Linked Image]
Posted By: bzgial Re: PICS OF THE BACKSIDE - 10/25/00 01:49 PM
Thank you for posting those pictures. That is what I saw 13th when I was able to get out to San Pedro.
I have been wondering why the tourism industry is so hell bent on saying everything is ok when they know that many of the folks who are the backbone of this industry are still suffering.
If your photos are able to draw attention to the fact that a concentrated effort of recovery should be focused on the west side of the caye, then I will say you have done a great service to all.
Posted By: Sandshaker Re: PICS OF THE BACKSIDE - 10/25/00 03:55 PM
Thanks! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Chloe Re: PICS OF THE BACKSIDE - 10/25/00 06:18 PM
Personally I think several things can be going on at the same time in San Pedro.
Tourism on the beach side, with diving,
snorkeling, and fishing.
And cleanup and rebuilding on the backside.
Hopefully the above can put everyone back to work, earning wages, and the tourist enjoying their vacations.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: PICS OF THE BACKSIDE - 10/26/00 04:36 AM
gee chloe, sounds like most cities and towns we know, take phila, or NY or LA for that matter. it isnt all landmarks, glitz and skyscrapers. we have lotsa sleeze, yet people visit here all the time...we just dont go to those parts.
Posted By: Chloe Re: PICS OF THE BACKSIDE - 10/26/00 05:02 PM
All towns, have a blemish or two, but we still love them.
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: PICS OF THE BACKSIDE - 10/26/00 07:42 PM
Where is the pictures of Tammy's backside? All I got was some pictures of the boatyard!
Posted By: Sandshaker Re: PICS OF THE BACKSIDE - 10/27/00 05:17 AM
LOL...now Bill....you know my backside won't fit on this page.

This is a NO CRACK ZONE!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Frank12 Re: PICS OF THE BACKSIDE - 10/27/00 05:56 AM
ROTF @ ss.
I hope there can be tourism and rebuilding at the same time,but I also think there should be some word from the tourism people about the rebuilding efforts and what vacationers will see.
We wouldn't want anyone to climb back aboard the boat and head for somewhere else out of shock. Forewarned and all that stuff,ya know!
Frank12
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board