AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: larryp Food - 11/16/00 01:51 AM
We are coming to AC during Christmas vacation and staying at the Tradewinds. Our health clinic gave us all kinds of warning about drinking water and eating fresh foods. I was wondering what your experience has been. And also, any suggestions on good eating places.

Thanks
Posted By: orionhunter Re: Food - 11/16/00 02:11 AM
Most places have bottled water or have their water dilivered by the local distillary and that is certainly safe to drink. We just returned from AC Nov. 3rd and none of us experienced Montezuma's Revenge! As for fresh fruits and veggies...I suggest washing and peeling first to be on the safe side.
Many places still weren't open or had limited menus when we were there due to the hurricane, but we enjoyed Duane's Surf and Turf, Ambergris Delight, and be sure to catch Mondo's Barbeque on Fri and Sat.(only)
The street vendors had predictively good and very inexpensive food also.
Hope you have a wonderful trip!!!
Be sure and eat at Cannibals on the beach!!! We will bw running it by the time you are there. Hope to meet you.
Posted By: margarita Re: Food - 11/16/00 02:19 AM
Estel's Dine by the Sea on the beach in the middle of town is my favorite food stop, especially for breakfast watching the sunrise over the blue Caribbean and for my fresh catch cooked just the way I want! Good People, Good Food & Drinks, Good Music.
We buy bottled water for drinking. Some of your warnings may have to do with post-keith problems.
Fresh fish is delicious never had a problem in 13 years.
Lots of good eating places - try doing a search (upper right)and you will get everyones favorite places!
Posted By: Richard Chambers Re: Food - 11/16/00 07:33 AM
Estel's has great Bloody Marys too! See if you can get Charlie to take you up to his office for a short course in "Music Appreciation"
Posted By: Dallas Dave Re: Food - 11/16/00 08:17 AM
I've been going to Belize for ten years now and have never had a problem with the food or water. It's not Mexico! Hell, if you've been through the rest of Central America, Belize seems like the states. Don't worry about it.
Posted By: Jstifter Re: Food - 11/16/00 11:26 PM
My experience at Estel's was horrible food and service...maybe a bad day, but bad enough never to go back. Amberisgris was one of our favorites, off the beaten track, good food...I loved the street vendor!!!
Unlike the others, I did have some revenge, but after careful consideration, I think it was the quad-tripling the amount of fruit juice, as in Rum Punch........
Have Fun....it's a wonderful place that will give you wonderful memories...
Posted By: Nicky Re: Food - 11/16/00 11:29 PM
Just got back and if you've never been there before you'd probably never know there was a catasrophic hurricane just a few weeks ago. the clean-up is moving along at a good clip. I've never had a problem with food or water even the street vendors serve some tasty grub. In town most restaurants are up and running, Jambel Jerk Pit beeing one of my faves (tasty hot jamaican style). Cannibals opened up again, some of the resorts north and south of town may still take a while. There's no need to worry as long as you know how to relax and have a good time.
Posted By: Charri Re: Food - 11/17/00 12:18 AM
Our favorites are Cannibals, Ambergris,
Fido's, Elvi's (oops, forgot about the
big tree crashing it in)...Ramons, Mickey's
Ruby's, Celi's, etc...but not Estel's...too
expensive and food not that great...Lily....
not the old Lily's of years ago and this
time I got food poisoning on the lobster
ceviche!!! Sick is not the word...had to
call in the dr. to live! Anyway, I've been
going for 13 yrs. and never had a problem
until this year...but it only takes once....
I would drink and use(toothbrush) only bottled water, and only eat in the more
reputable spots...it's not worth your health.. they've had a lot of water problems
with breaking pipes after Keith...Enjoy the
island...take your 100% deet!!!!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board