AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Biologist Cherie Coming to Ambergris? - 12/23/13 06:44 PM
ACES is looking for anyone coming to the island with a little extra room to bring in 5 pairs of snake gaiters for a film crew coming in January doing a crocodile TV pilot for Animal Planet in Belize. I will order them and pay for them and have them shipped to your home, if you could please just bring them into the country for us. We will take you out on a free croc excursion with us in exchange for the favor.
Please email Cherie at [email protected]
We need them here by January 11th.
Thank you and Merry Christmas everyone!
Posted By: Biologist Cherie Re: Coming to Ambergris? - 12/24/13 09:54 PM
THANK YOU! We have a mulie! God Bless and Merry Christmas Everyone!
Cheers,
Cherie
Posted By: CaptOneIron Re: Coming to Ambergris? - 12/25/13 01:35 PM
That sounds like my wife. She calls me alternately her 'walking purse' and her 'packing mule' (English is not her first language). If anything goes wrong and you need a back up we are coming in mid January.
Posted By: doggirl Re: Coming to Ambergris? - 12/25/13 02:01 PM
Are there poisonous snakes on Ambergris or will the filming take place on the mainland. I think I remember someone on this forum saying there were no dangerous snakes on the island.
Posted By: elbert Re: Coming to Ambergris? - 12/25/13 02:22 PM
Snake Gaiters seem silly for the island or the mainland.

Posted By: SimonB Re: Coming to Ambergris? - 12/27/13 01:39 AM
Unless you don't stick to trails in the bush and like to go snake seeing (in the bush on the mainland).
Posted By: Inplub Re: Coming to Ambergris? - 12/27/13 12:31 PM
In the last few months we have had 2 snakes, one in the yard and one halfway up the stairs. Then again it could have been the same shake that came back a week later. Told by a BTL worker at the time it was deadly. I took a brush to it and it was out of the yard, across the road and into the jungle very fast.
Posted By: Phil Re: Coming to Ambergris? - 12/27/13 01:08 PM
Deadly if you're a rat. No poisonous snakes on the Caye.

Irresponsible to infer care shouldn't be taken on the mainland with Jumping Tommy Goff's not uncommon.
Posted By: champion Re: Coming to Ambergris? - 12/27/13 01:49 PM
Sufice it to say, No poisonous snakes have ever been found on the island. Nature knows no boundries!
Posted By: JEL Re: Coming to Ambergris? - 12/28/13 03:48 PM
I saw a couple workers one day kill a coral snake and a python 10 steps from my house. I think I still have the picture of them both.

Saw a 12ft snake (Black & Red) going across the GBE road the other day just before the bridge
Posted By: champion Re: Coming to Ambergris? - 12/28/13 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by JEL
I saw a couple workers one day kill a coral snake and a python 10 steps from my house. I think I still have the picture of them both.

Saw a 12ft snake (Black & Red) going across the GBE road the other day just before the bridge

you know the jingle, from the nose. Red to yellow, kill a fellow, red to black, venom lack.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Coming to Ambergris? - 12/28/13 05:17 PM
JEL What is the GBE? Where do you live?
Posted By: JEL Re: Coming to Ambergris? - 12/28/13 06:41 PM
GBE - Grand Belizean Estates
Posted By: elbert Re: Coming to Ambergris? - 12/28/13 08:06 PM
pythons are not on the island or in this part of the world. You probably saw a Boa and yes we got some biggins on the island, but a hazard to birds and rats, not poisonous.
The Black and Red is probably the Johnnie Walker :-)
Posted By: larrypied Re: Coming to Ambergris? - 12/28/13 08:17 PM
There are some mean snakes on the Caye but they all walk on two feet!
Posted By: Phil Re: Coming to Ambergris? - 12/28/13 11:31 PM
More Monty than Python. There is a much more common non poisonous similar looking snake to the coral snake - whose name escapes me. The order of the colour bandings are different, I think the poisonous one is in the same order as the lights on a traffic light and the non poisonous one isn't.
Posted By: champion Re: Coming to Ambergris? - 12/28/13 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by Phil
More Monty than Python. There is a much more common non poisonous similar looking snake to the coral snake - whose name escapes me. The order of the colour bandings are different, I think the poisonous one is in the same order as the lights on a traffic light and the non poisonous one isn't.

see above
Posted By: SimonB Re: Coming to Ambergris? - 12/29/13 05:20 AM
There are no documented dangerous poisonous snakes on the island. What we do have are stunningly beautiful snakes that you'll be lucky to see, photograph and observe.

I've heard of vine snakes being sighted but they are rear fanged and only mildly venomous. Even a Coral Snake is rear fanged with small teeth. It really has to get you between the thumb and forefinger for a good shot to deliver a fatal bite... I've never seen one on the island.
Posted By: TravelinMan1 Re: Coming to Ambergris? - 12/29/13 08:40 AM
Phil you are thinking of a king snake. Red and Yellow kill a fellow Red and Black venom lack.
Posted By: elbert Re: Coming to Ambergris? - 12/29/13 09:28 AM
The famous Field Guide to Ambergris Caye by Richie Woods said there where no poisonous snakes on Ambergris Caye. That statement is like so many others, someone will find one somewhere and prove it's not 100% true but fear or concern about a poisonous snake on the island is unrealistic just the same. Ambergris Cayes snakes are a positive aspect and keep a balance we need. Snake Phobics incite killing snakes and cause damage to our environment.
http://books.google.com.bz/books/ab...ize.html?id=FVZqAAAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y http://books.google.com.bz/books/ab...ize.html?id=FVZqAAAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y
Posted By: collyk Re: Coming to Ambergris? - 12/29/13 02:06 PM
We have been lucky enough to have spotted a number of species of snake in our own garden, including vine snakes, black racers and boas. They are incredibly beautiful, useful and important. I just wish our dogs agreed with us!
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Coming to Ambergris? - 12/29/13 02:30 PM
A couple of years ago some tourists spotted a snake crossing the road in front of Birdland. Instead of running over it they stopped and one of the young men picked it up. I got some good pictures (unfortunately all on the computer that was stolen). It was about 3' long and thin as a pencil. We put it in a croton bush and as it moved about it changed colors to match its surroundings.
Posted By: Cobra7 Re: Coming to Ambergris? - 02/09/14 02:51 PM
No snake in the world changes color to match its surroundings.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board