AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Trophaolic Vacationing in Ambergris Cays in June. - 05/13/14 05:27 PM
Hi All,

We will be going to Ambergris Caye for 10 days in June. We're staying about 5mi north of San Pedro. It will be our first time on the island and I am looking for advice on activities and places to visit in general.

One of the fun activity we are looking forward to is fishing. Can we fish off the pier in front of the house? Will we need any fishing permit for it? I am planning to bring along couple 6 footer fishing poles. What kind of lures, line, tackle, bait would you recommend? What kind of fish can we catch off of the pier and are there any type of fish that are off limit? Most importantly, which one are good on the dinner plate?

I'll ask some more questions later, but appreciate if someone can help with the above.

Thanks.
There's a Fishing Report post here on the forum (//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/372593/Fishing_Report.html#Post372593)

It has lots of good info regarding the fishing in ambergris caye from a reputable source.

Posted By: GwenA Re: Vacationing in Ambergris Cays in June. - 05/13/14 07:08 PM
In general, if you are staying at a resort, the fish around the pier are for guests to snorkel among. Some places don't mind some catch and return of bone or tarpon. If you want to meat fish, hire a guide. There are licenses involved and the guides possess the licenses, tackle, boat and bait.
jokerland: Thanks for the pointer. I saw that one also.

GwenA: We are staying in a house about 5mi north of San Pedro, not in a resort. The house has its own wooden pier (looks like all of them do) and so I wonder if fishing off of it is allowed.
Posted By: rudys Re: Vacationing in Ambergris Cays in June. - 05/14/14 05:15 PM
I've fished off the wooden piers all the time. All you need is a good size hook couple split shot good size about 2ft up the line from hook. Get yourself some shrimp, conch or sardines cut up into chunks cast towards turtle grass but keep bait in the sandy areas. You should be able to pick up some Redfin Snapper that is really good eating
Thanks for the pointer rudys. I can't wait... :-)

What size is "good size" hook? #1?

Thanks again.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board