AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty ROAD NORTH - 08/01/14 08:08 AM
It is confirmed that the road will be paved North on Ambergris Caye. Phase ONE starting from the bridge to the Coco Beach area, which is approximately 3 miles will be done first. Phase TWO will continue the additional 4 miles further North after phase one is complete. According to Town Board this will increase property values and increase tourism on the island.

Source
Posted By: Nick Barton Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/01/14 01:00 PM
Excellent news! We recognise there are some drawbacks for some people but We at least will welcome a more comfortable ride to town for our regular outings.
Posted By: elbert Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/01/14 01:20 PM
And just in time for the Election. I wonder if we will see something tangible before we have to vote??
You have to balance these announcements with the realities of the past,for example the Mexico Rocks reserve. They where going to announce on San Pedro Day in 2012 then again 2013. San Pedro Day for 2014 has come and gone. //ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/486199/4.html
I'm a cynic, Yes but then there is reality to back up my opinion.
Posted By: seashell Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/01/14 02:06 PM
Increase property values and tourism? More likely to increase traffic and speed.
Posted By: tahunt Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/01/14 02:28 PM
Loved the island for its quaintness and 3rd world feel along with the friendliness of the people. If I wanted to see speeding taxis and cement streets I could stay at home. The slow pace was one of the selling points that keep me going back. Maybe its time to reconsider and start looking elsewhere for a new vacation spot.
Posted By: Eskimo Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/01/14 04:28 PM
Couldn't agree more. These are our feelings exactly.
Posted By: Phil Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/01/14 04:43 PM
Nothing stays the same anywhere. We'll lose a lot of our old school visitors and gain a lot more new school - different dynamic or demographic. They'll spend less per group, do less and enjoy the beach bars and restaurants more but in higher volume. We'll need to up our infrastructure to cope and it's going to be tough time if we're headed more mainstream.

Not sure I personally like it, although it will likely see my value increase - unless we totally balls it up which is always a possibility.
Posted By: Maya House Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/01/14 07:41 PM
You're right on the money, tahunt. The infamous killing of the goose that laid the golden egg! But no one wants to listen, until it's too late.
Posted By: champion Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/01/14 08:10 PM
Any improvement that serves the populace of a country is a boon. Transportation of goods and services is in part how countries dig out of
the bottom of the heap. It's funny how most visiters come from 1st world countries to see the charms of a third world country but take offense to them trying to improve. I am sure most Belizeans look forward to any improvement in their lifestyles. Yes it was quaint to have Front, Middle and Back streets just sand. But I bet most of the Locals now enjoy having paved City streets.
Get off yer high horses and let them progress as they can and wish.
Posted By: reaper Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/01/14 09:37 PM
While the charm of the road north is real, the pot holes, mosquito filled puddles an impassable mud holes made it a nightmare sometimes. One of my favorite things to do in SP is to rent a cart and trek north on the "Rum Punch" tour. Coco Locos, the Palapa Bar, Lazy Croc BBQ, Rojo Lounge, Mata Chica, Portofino and sometimes if we feel adventurous, Belize Legacy (can't remember the new name)and Tranquility Bay.
If the road is nicer, more folks will trek north and those places will have more customers.
When the hand pull ferry went away, we missed its charm the first year, but the bridge has been so much nicer.
The old "Corona Freeway" project might become a reality. smile
Like Phil, I'm not quite sure how I feel about this, but like the idea that it will be easier to get to northern places we love.
Posted By: elbert Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/01/14 11:11 PM
Just from the little improvement of gravel fill I've had an increase in drop-in business. It doubled! (from One to Two).
I'm all for the road being paved just skeptical about another politician promising improved infrastructure just before the election. Every election we get a flood of announcements about road, water, electric service, police protection and such.
The island is heavily populated with voters that are influenced by these little news items so they get results. I wonder what causes the memory loss when it's election time again and the same guys promise the same shit.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/01/14 11:28 PM
I question who the people behind this "improvement" really are? I don't think it is any of the what we

call 'locals." At least not the thousands of working class locals.

Just my not very humble opinion but the people pushing this NEW lifestyle are mostly gringo developers who have purchased tracts of land that they want to make 'high end' and cater to people who don't want to get hot or dirty riding in golf carts. I feel like we are the heathens they see as they motor by. I have to wonder what they think "of us poor white folks sitting outside watching the world go by."

The older resorts were built by having their supplies barged to them and brought their guests by boat. Guest who were not interested in going to town every day or night. Guests who came for the peace and quiet.

Yea - yea - yea - I know all the arguments for CHANGE. I just think it is important to understand the direction all this change is taking and ask ourselves if this is what we want. Of the course the real question is "who is we?"

So, like everyone else, I've had to hedge my bets and invest in raw land way further north.

Everyday there are two traffic officers on their shiny new motorbikes going north I guess to watch traffic in the construction zone. Anyone have any first hand observation of this? They very nicely wave to me everyday.
Posted By: Tracker Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/02/14 12:45 AM
Some people seem to forget that the North of Ambergris Caye is part of Belize, not an exclusive domain of the expat. When "locals" cross the beach on bikes and motor cycles you complain, when the road is graded to make it easier for people to travel you complain. Well now the road is going to be paved, the first phase is 3 miles, the second phase is to take it to seven miles, then it will continue as funds are made available.
This improvement will open up the North for ALL, locals and tourists will be able to travel the North island all year round, without the pot holes and mud. Businesses will benefit and more people will be able to enjoy the North of our island.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/02/14 12:56 AM
"Well now the road is going to be paved, the first phase is 3 miles, the second phase is to take it to seven miles, then it will continue as funds are made available"

Where are these "funds" coming from and how long will they continue to be injected into the project?
Posted By: jwagner Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/02/14 02:08 AM
Any idea on how long phases one and two will take to complete? Does this typically take years to do or is it something that can be finished in a matter of six months or so?
Posted By: seashell Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/02/14 02:26 AM
Frankly, I'm looking forward to not having to worry about double sports bra for the cart ride north. smile
Posted By: seaglass Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/02/14 02:42 AM
Seashell........I'm with you!
Posted By: Go South Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/02/14 04:16 AM
Have the politicians discussed anything about the infrastructure of this area such as sewer, water lines, ditches for drainage or bury the hydro lines before any paving takes place? If not, then yes, this is just election talk. Don't hold your breath
Posted By: tahunt Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/02/14 07:28 AM
Is the ambulance service up and running yet? The locals will continue to have to walk to town for their jobs, shopping, etc. I give it 3 months before someone is run down by a speeding taxi.
Posted By: Bear Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/02/14 10:49 AM
What form exactly is this paving supposed to be? Concrete? Graded rock & base? Just curious
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/02/14 02:48 PM
I loved the old days of "boat only" access. That was long ago under very different conditions. Back then fuel was a lot cheaper, and there weren't all that many of us in boats those days.
Now if everybody living slightly outside of town was using a boat instead of a road we'd have no end of noise, the inevitable bit of oil and fuel pollution in the water, congestion on the water where we'd really like to swim and kayak --- and where would all these boats park when they go to town (remember we have a whole other movement of anti-pier people out there). If you were a resident who liked it quiet (I fit that description) and had a golf cart (which I do), you'd find that carts are slow, fuel efficient and VERY easily broken to bits by a bad road. The cost of upkeep is astronomical if you have nothing but ruts. Add to that the whole environmental/world-economic issue of fossil fuel (outboards get MAYBE 5 miles to the gallon of gas) and ..... well, I think we have to accept the inevitability of this change.

For those who like the no-road environment, there is still a LOT of island to choose from. Robles is heavenly, and the leeward side of the island is very magical as well.
Posted By: Tracker Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/02/14 02:52 PM
The information is out there for all to see, the road will be cement, the water company will run lines beside the road not in the middle so as to reduce the need to dig up the road, water and sewer will be installed.
The ambulance service is running, one will be located on the North side next week, one will be at the police sub station in the South and the third will be in town. The time frame for the completion of the first phase of road construction has been given at 4 - 5 months.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/02/14 02:55 PM
A gentleman was on the road going north Thursday - handing out notices about a Stakeholder Consultation for NAC Water and Sewer Expansion project.
All are invited.
Date August 5th, 2014 - 7 PM - Lion's Den.
I'll scan the full notice and send to Marty so maybe he can post it for ya'll.
Posted By: Nick Barton Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/03/14 01:43 PM
Thks Diane!
Posted By: Chris Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/03/14 01:48 PM
I am looking forward enormously to the new road. I can see no negatives whatsoever as long as bumps are strategically placed to discourage speeding.

Even those roadside property owners who drone endlessly on about it now will be happy once it is completed. They'll be able to sell their properties for much higher values.
Posted By: bywarren Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/03/14 03:23 PM
Tickets and losing their license would be much more effective. All I see is them speeding between bumps.
What ever came of the radar gun trafic was playing with?
Posted By: Maya House Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/03/14 04:21 PM
Stating our beliefs and opinions in no way makes it okay for you to call people names, Chris. Get a life, and keep it out of the realm of personal attacks. That's so pedestrian and tiresome. And you also have no idea about what will make me, or anyone other than yourself, happy. Stop projecting what you find as desirable onto others.
Posted By: Chris Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/04/14 02:51 AM
Maya House, I've edited my original post. There are no more "old drones."

I know EXACTLY what would make you happy in this matter but unfortunately for you they're not going to re-route the road away from your property.

Posted By: Nick Barton Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/06/14 02:44 AM
I attended to town meeting re water and sewage treatment on a North A.C. This evening and will post some notes tomorrow under that topic for interest but for this theme the mayor told me work will start on the cement road imminently and that they will be leaving space on one side of the road for the pipes to be laid at a later stage because the water and sewage project is not anticipated to be approved and started until circa mid 2015.
Posted By: BeachCat Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/06/14 03:14 PM
I saw a $30,000,000 figure for the Water and sewage treatment project in Nicks notes.
Does that include the road as well?
$10,000,000 a mile how many hookups per mile 600? = $16666 per hookup
Looks like a another loan that will be hard to pay back.
Property values will have to go up just to pay for this work good luck with that.
Lots sit unsold now because of high prices.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/06/14 05:00 PM
Nick - Isn't the public meeting tomorrow (Thursday) evening at 7:00 PM? (OK start by 8 ?)
Posted By: Nick Barton Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/06/14 09:21 PM
Harriette

It was last night - pls see my notes under ' expansion Project'. Amazingly it only started 1/2 hour late!

Nick
Posted By: ragman Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/06/14 09:38 PM
From my information the 30 mil. is for the water/sewer and I believe it may cost more than that in the end and require more funds. It is not a matter of cost per mile. A new water and sewer plant will have to be built up North and both are very expensive undertakings. It is something that must be done in my opinion to sustain what has already been constructed up North.

Water trucks travel the road all day and sometimes at night during the dry season to keep the businesses going. Sewer, well tests have been done on the lagoon side and everyone has already heard the results of these studies for years. This is a project that is inevitable and will only cost more if put off into the future.

I attended the first meeting but I'm not on Island at present so I couldn't attend this one. The notes I read where approximately what was said at the first meeting with the exception of the road, which is a new and separate project. Those lots that are unsold and all others will certainly be worth more when both of these projects are completed. In addition North San Pedro will be a much better place to live from the view of the environment; business and private property when these projects are completed.
Posted By: Chris Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/07/14 02:12 AM
The water project is much needed.

I'm not so sure about the sewer side unless it can be designed and built in such a way that it doesn't produce objectionable odours such as those we get from the system they installed on the southern part of Ambergris. Some of the lift stations and vent pipes do whiff quite badly especially during hotter spells.
Posted By: SimonB Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/07/14 02:29 AM
"pipes do whiff quite badly" He who smelt it dealt it!
Posted By: elbert Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/07/14 12:48 PM
File this with the Mexico Rocks Reserve proposal since it falls in the area of the reserve called MataCayo Frances Wetlands Reserve //ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/486199/4.html
Don't get too excited about flushing responsibly just yet.
Posted By: Marty Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/12/14 11:40 AM
It's official�..
The road going North of the bridge is officially started. It has been graded all the way from Belizean Shores/Coco Beach area to almost the police sub station in Tres Cocos. It is moving quite quickly.

LINK
Posted By: Nick Barton Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/12/14 12:15 PM
They have graded down the back track in Tres Cocos, which suggests that is the route they are going to take. Good news for the beachfront owners if that is indeed the case!
Posted By: Maya House Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/12/14 12:31 PM
Well isn't that just grand for the beachfront owners. Again, no master plan, no vision, no discussion, just fire. No ready, and no aim.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/12/14 02:44 PM
The town council, ministry of works and water company have held numerous public meetings regarding these works over the past couple of years and it has been in the forefront of news recently. The "main" road is the back Tres Cocos road as the road that most currently use actually dead-ends as it is only a subdivision access road. None of this is new, it is just finally going into effect.
Posted By: Tracker Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/12/14 02:50 PM
"You can please some of the people some of the time all of the people some of the time some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time."

; Abraham Lincoln
Posted By: elbert Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/12/14 05:06 PM
Sorry but I'm still doubting this , the grader has been up that road before and until I see the paving I remain skeptical.
Posted By: elbert Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/13/14 03:31 PM
[Linked Image]
This is August 13th North Road close to Captain Morgans.
I drove down from town and around Cocobeach I ran into these guys that say they are going to pour cement to the bridge.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
So on this date August 13th 2014 Elbert was wrong about something...maybe.
Posted By: Nick Barton Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/13/14 03:45 PM
I do hope you are wrong this time Elbert! After all, it doesn't happen very often - yet!
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/13/14 04:35 PM
The moon must have been blue.
Posted By: Phil Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/13/14 05:23 PM
lol. Or there's an election coming. Wake up. When they say they'll do things in the run up to an election, they do. It's the post election promises that fall by the wayside.
Posted By: elbert Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/13/14 06:55 PM
And I thought I was the only cynic on the board.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/13/14 11:58 PM
Elbert - You are not the only but still the best!
Posted By: Nick Barton Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/14/14 12:03 AM
He has years of practise!
Posted By: filmmaker ben Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/15/14 07:17 PM
I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, but has any sort of timeline been announced? I'm curious how this project will be affected by the imminent rainy season.
Posted By: elbert Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/15/14 08:50 PM
I chatted with the crew and they are working from the farthest point towards the bridge. I could only get "a few months" out of them. I don't know that the rainy season would have much effect on what they are doing, but if your wondering when it will be available for you to drive on, I imagine the rainy season with have come and gone.
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/19/14 01:18 PM
Time to run the famous Corona Freeway all the way to new bridge, from Mexico connecting these 2 great vacation places, so we can enjoy.
Yes, this is Corona Steve, who gave it's name, Corona Freeway.
progress is great, as long it keeps it's Charm of a laid back neiberhood, and Charm
Posted By: elbert Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/19/14 01:33 PM
Smokin that stuff again are we.
Posted By: seaglass Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/19/14 01:46 PM
Elbert..........We can always count on your negative comments!
Posted By: Bear Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/19/14 03:42 PM
I'd just as soon not see a connection between Mexico and AC, Charm? I don't think it would stand a chance in the face of that occurrence...
Posted By: elbert Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/20/14 12:23 AM
I'm sure Mars will be colonized by humans and someday there will be a road to Mexico right up the peninsula from San Pedro.
Posted By: Marty Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/20/14 10:56 AM

WORK ON THE PAVING OF THE ROAD ON NORTH AMBERGRIS CAYE HAS BEGUN!

The project, which is funded by the Ministry of Works and Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Civil Aviation, consists of paving the road from the Sir Barry Bowen Bridge up to Belizean Shores area and is estimated to be completed in an approximation of 3-4 months.

San Pedro Town Council

Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/20/14 11:25 AM
Glad to see them leaving the trees in the middle.
Posted By: JaHo Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/20/14 12:20 PM
Me, too, Diane! It's a really nice touch and will feel much more like a thoughtful process than a random drop of cement.
Posted By: Bear Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/20/14 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
Glad to see them leaving the trees in the middle.

planners refer to that style of road as a "Boulevard"

Anybody check for activity on Mars recently...not full colonization, but maybe a pup tent or something?

Note: right of way for water/sewer? Just asking.
Posted By: SimonB Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/20/14 01:21 PM
I like the first picture where they're all looking and saying "holy sh*t did you see how fast that guy was going?"

Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/20/14 07:04 PM
I TOLD THE traffic patrol guys they can park in my driveway (hidden by trees) and time the speedsters. Where are the radar guns?
Posted By: Marty Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/20/14 07:53 PM

First phase of northern Ambergris Caye road begins

Work on the first phase of the Ambergris Caye northern road has commenced, and is expected to be completed in three months. Construction started on Friday August 15th and in the first week, 600 feet of concrete material have been laid down by AM Construction, the subcontracting company that is executing the project. The entire project, aimed at improving the tourism fabric on the island, is estimated at $7 million. The first phase is being financed by the Government of Belize (GOB) at an estimated $3 million.

The total project includes the concreting of seven miles of road, a distance that extends from the Sir Barry Bowen Bridge to Blue Reef Resort. The project has been broken down in two phases, the first of which will see three miles of pavement from Belizean Shores Resort to the bridge, and costing $3 million. The second phase will consist of four miles of pavement running from Belizean Shores Resort to Blue Reef Resort, with an estimated cost of $4 million. The first phase of the project is being executed under the auspices of The San Pedro Town Council (SPTC). The SPTC had initially approached GOB for permission to secure a private loan, but instead, the government decided to fund the first phase of the project.

According to the Mayor of San Pedro Town Daniel Guerrero, the project is expected to boost tourism activities and improve the tourism fabric of the island, which is in line with the council's political mandate. It is also expected to increase real estate values. "This is a project that we promised, but more importantly, it is a project that is going to boost the economy on the island�it will be good for guests, for tourists and good for everyone; it is going to benefit everyone. We want to service the majority of our hotels and resorts. When we complete this seven miles project, we will have serviced over 98% of our hotels across the bridge�this will be a legacy for San Pedro Town. It will add something to the island because bicycles, golf carts and the motorcycles driving or riding up north will have to use the road. Residents will have no excuse to ride or drive on the beach front," said Guerrero. While monies for the first part of the project are coming from the GOB's coffers, Mayor Guerrero said that the SPTC is hoping that GOB will also undertake the second phase. If GOB cannot, the council will be looking at other options.

Pott indicated that the contract does not include placing shoulders along the sides of the road but rather the paving of three miles of road along with speed bumps near resorts. He did say that sand will be place on the shoulders of the road so that vehicles can be able to make it onto the concrete pavement. In regards to drainage and maintenance Pott added that, "we cannot avoid flooding on an island so when we have these conditions, the road will be under water�we foresee that maintenance will be done perhaps in 20 years from now because we are using 4000 psi (pounds per square inch) quality concrete. That is enough to put a [loaded] truck three days after the road is paved. The base has 3/8 size steel so the pavement is of good quality." Instead of slabs that are common within town, the road is being paved with concrete that will have three-inch deep cuts at various points on the pavement to prevent it from cracking.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

Posted By: Bear Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/21/14 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by Corona Steve

Yes, this is Corona Steve, who gave it's name, Corona Freeway.
progress is great, as long it keeps it's Charm of a laid back neiberhood, and Charm

Steve considering Elbert's reply about substances and the inevitability (however distant) of the project one might have thought one could have been a bit more imaginative. At least baptize it with a name more suited to the natal country...like Belikin Boulevard.
Posted By: Chris Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/21/14 12:44 PM
"bicycles, golf carts and the motorcycles driving or riding up north will have to use the road. Residents will have no excuse to ride or drive on the beach front" ....superb. I'm so happy this project is finally under way.

A few strategically placed speed bumps will keep the speedsters honest. Even with a concrete road 15mph is fast enough.

Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/21/14 12:54 PM
BEAR - Belikin is not natural nor is it native. Corona Freeway was a joke!
Posted By: bywarren Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/21/14 12:57 PM
From what I have seen about speed bumps around town is they just speed faster between them. Speeding tickets and losing your license after repeat violations would have a more effective result.
What has happened with the radar gun traffic was using? You would think the resulting income from fines and the incentive not to speed would be worth the effort.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/21/14 01:55 PM
I saw them using the radar gun yesterday.
Posted By: Nick Barton Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/21/14 06:39 PM
If the speeding gets bad I will have to get my box of tin tacks out!

In the meantime I am delighted work is underway!
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/21/14 08:22 PM
If speed bumps are placed just at resorts as they state, there is a disaster just waiting to happen and it's going to be a taxi that will be involved. They will be going at speeds that you have not seen them go before. All it will take is a bicycle, golf cart, or worst, a pedestrian to drive or walk out in front of a speeding taxi and it will be all over. If anyone thinks that the taxi cabs are going to adhere to a 15 MPH limit, they're in a fantasy land!
Posted By: elbert Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/21/14 08:42 PM
:-) wouldn't you agree that most taxis on the island are rolling buckets of rust that will break an axle, leaf spring or loose a wheel if they hit a substantial speed bump at a reasonable speed. My cab driver always drives slow for fear of the cabs molecules not resembling orderly on deceleration.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/21/14 09:27 PM
Elbert - You have a very special taxi driver; he must own the vehicle. I don't think most drivers are owners and could care less about any damage done. $#!t they even speed in town and pass everything they can. We are going to have a virtual straight-a-way from north of Grand Caribe to the Bamboo house and there are NO resorts in this area.\

I just took a ride from Chetumal to Cancun and there are big speed bumps and EVERYONE slows for them - BECAUSE - they get tickets if they don't. I think the town does not want to give out speeding tickets for the same reason they do not pursue collecting property taxes.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/21/14 09:56 PM
I have a small number of taxi drivers that I use and recommend to others - they are the most conscience ones that I have found on the island.
Posted By: Maya House Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/22/14 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Loansum-Al K
If speed bumps are placed just at resorts as they state, there is a disaster just waiting to happen and it's going to be a taxi that will be involved. They will be going at speeds that you have not seen them go before. All it will take is a bicycle, golf cart, or worst, a pedestrian to drive or walk out in front of a speeding taxi and it will be all over. If anyone thinks that the taxi cabs are going to adhere to a 15 MPH limit, they're in a fantasy land!

100% correct!
Posted By: Decompression Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/22/14 03:55 PM
I only have one call ncern regarding the road.
With no culverts/drainage being installed, and no way to seal off the edges of the roadway.. The first big rain event will wash away the sand/hardpack edges, cover the roadway,and undermine the concrete. It will start cracking and collapsing in no time.
Much sooner then the "20 years" they have stated.

And all this would happen with NO trucks being allowed across the bridge.

But it will be nice will it lasts.

DC
Posted By: Nick Barton Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/22/14 06:32 PM
[Linked Image]
Photo taken today.
Posted By: Nick Barton Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/22/14 06:34 PM
Looking south [Linked Image]
Posted By: bywarren Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/22/14 06:39 PM
Should be no problem with speeding if they leave that "slow" sign there. grin
Posted By: Bear Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/23/14 04:48 AM
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
BEAR - Belikin is not natural nor is it native. Corona Freeway was a joke!

Recognized as such Miss Harriet (a joke) simply tongue in cheek, completely so smile ("natal" meaning the place where someone (or something) was born...
Posted By: JZB Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/23/14 12:55 PM
It doesn't look like there is enough room to pass slower vehicles. This is a good way to slow down speeders but will also create road rage in the process.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/23/14 01:36 PM
OK Bear - jokes on me
Posted By: Chris Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/25/14 08:51 PM
Most of the road will not have the center divide and there will be plenty of room for otherwise potentially enraged drivers to pass those going slower than 15mph.....

As of yesterday evening, about 1200ft of spanking new concrete road has been laid, not bad for just over 1 week of work.

It's gonna be great!
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/26/14 02:36 AM
Chris - Don´t you mean passing anyone going less than 45
Posted By: Maya House Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/26/14 02:42 AM
Chris - Don´t you mean passing anyone going less than 45

;-)
Posted By: Chris Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/26/14 12:23 PM
Harriette, the multiple periods after my "15mph" are meant to indicate mild sarcasm at the idea that vehicles only pass those going less than 15mph.

speed bumps and speeding fines will be required.

But it's still gonna be a great new road.

Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/27/14 01:13 AM
Coming home today I saw an interesting 'bump'. Down by Pirates Treasure they had run a garden house from the white castle house across to the construction site and framed it in with lumber. Humm - how many nails?

Chris - there should be a sign letting us know that sarcasm is intended. thanks for getting me educated.
Posted By: reaper Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/27/14 03:30 AM
How much money are they setting aside for yearly maintenance?
I would hate to see the Corona Highway end up like the Bowen Bridge.
Posted By: ragman Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/27/14 02:11 PM
Good morning Rich. We both know that money is not "put aside" in a poor country like Belize or even in a near Bankrupt State like California.

What is wrong with the Bowen bridge? Yes, it has needed repairs over the years which have been completed. Sometimes not too quickly but.... It is and always has been structurally sound. No work other than inspection and painting have been needed on the main structure beams.

I haven't been down in a few months, (soon to be rectified) seriously is there currently a problem?

ps yes there was a small cave in of the pavers leading up to the bridge but that was repaired quickly and seems to have done the job. The new decking on both the walk ways and bridge seem to be fine the last time I looked.
Posted By: windmill Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/27/14 02:56 PM
Wouldn't it make sense to have this North road be a "toll road" with a very reasonable fare (several dollars), annually the amount of traffic could create substantial $ for repairs and maintenance....I understand "controlling" the funds is a challenge but if it was possible this could keep this significant investment viable for as long as possible.......
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/27/14 04:28 PM
There is already a toll for the bridge and is a lot.
A toll for the road - puleeze, no!
Posted By: elbert Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/27/14 06:26 PM
I just did the road minutes ago. $12.bz for the taxi toll at the bridge and the cement is already at Captain Morgans.
Posted By: reaper Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/28/14 12:54 AM
Jim,
http://www.sanpedrosun.com/communit...rry-bowen-bridge-reopens-urgent-repairs/

I can envision a crumbling road in a few years that would resemble the old mud and rock path, without ongoing maintenance.

And as for Kalifornia...
http://www.sco.ca.gov/eo_pressrel_15182.html

smile
Posted By: BeachCat Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/28/14 05:38 AM
My guys charge $15 for the toll they must be rookies
Posted By: ragman Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/28/14 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by reaper
How much money are they setting aside for yearly maintenance?
I would hate to see the Corona Highway end up like the Bowen Bridge.

Originally Posted by reaper
Jim,
http://www.sanpedrosun.com/communit...rry-bowen-bridge-reopens-urgent-repairs/

I can envision a crumbling road in a few years that would resemble the old mud and rock path, without ongoing maintenance.

And as for Kalifornia...
http://www.sco.ca.gov/eo_pressrel_15182.html

smile
There is not a doubt in my mind that from time to time the "new" paved road will need to be repaired. Just like other paved roads on the Island. My point is that I would be very happy if the road is in the same condition after 10+ years as the Bowen Bridge is today. The closings of the bridge have been minimal and the cost of repairs seem to be reasonable. The repair you pointed out was $13,000bz and repaired in 8 days, that seems reasonable for Belize. The bridge wasn't fully closed at all for the repair (maybe for a very short while) as I recall. Sometime we don't give the mayor and council enough of credit for getting the job done.

The road is a big improvement from what we have had to put up with in the past and the vast majority or people who own and pay taxes north of bridge are pleased with its construction. Next will be the much needed water/sewer project. I would have preferred that the water/sewer was completed first but.....

Great news on your local problem with debt, I read the article, you guys are really making strides..... smirk
Posted By: windmill Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/28/14 02:59 PM
Wouldn't be opposed to a small "bump" in the existing toll to ensure the maintenance problems stated above don't take place and/or are addressed regularly.....
Posted By: ragman Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/28/14 04:00 PM
In theory I would agree with you. In practice forget it. Funds go into a black hole never to be seen again and this isn't a swipe at San Pedro, all government works that way. If the money is there, it gets spent, there are always higher priorities.
Posted By: Chris Re: ROAD NORTH - 08/29/14 01:01 PM
Glorious steel reinforced concrete....already well into Capt. Morgans territory.

As for those advocating a road toll or increased bridge toll, do you even live here? We've already paid for this road many times over. Maintenance will be easy as long as minor issues are addressed quickly. It'll be cheaper to maintain the new road than it was to fill and scrape the POS mud, dust and dirt track we have had to put up with for far too long.

Posted By: Marty Re: ROAD NORTH - 09/03/14 11:35 AM

Click photos for lots more pictures!

Progress on the paving of the road on North, Ambergris Caye. (9 photos)

Posted By: Chris Re: ROAD NORTH - 09/03/14 02:43 PM
Superb!
Posted By: Nobody You Know Re: ROAD NORTH - 09/09/14 06:29 PM
Note to self; remember to bring the radar detector down for the Polaris...
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: ROAD NORTH - 09/10/14 07:01 PM
Seems to have slowed down - rain delay?
Posted By: champion Re: ROAD NORTH - 09/11/14 12:47 PM
Where did they start the road and where are they now? I know its going north to south.
Posted By: Lan Re: ROAD NORTH - 09/11/14 04:58 PM
Looking for block layer (Concrete block and stucco) and helpers in San Pedro, just South of the airport. Please send me an email and best way to get hold of you and rates. Will also need electrician, plumber and handymen building a small house. I am contracting it by myself as I do not have the funds to pay for extra help.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: ROAD NORTH - 09/11/14 05:58 PM
Hi Lan - if you want to look for workers, best to start a thread about that. I believe there is an "employment" section on the board. This series of messages is about the new road and it's unlikely that you will meet employees effectively on this particular thread.

Champion - Road starts right behind Belizean Way and is being developed heading south.

I drove it this morning. The workers have reached the bend behind Capricorn. In that particular area, one side is poured and drivable, the other being poured now. Since this is a low area there is no effective detour-lane around the mixer-trucks and you may end up waiting 10 or 15 minutes whilst a load of concrete is being dispensed. Further to the point of the delay - the MOSSIES are OUT and HUNGRY. Intrepid travelers on the new road may wish to bring a book to read, a bucket of deet to bathe in in order to make the trip a little more enjoyable.
All in all, the road is coming along really well, and when you hit the unpaved parts (especially after these rains) can really appreciate the improvement.

Posted By: Chris Re: ROAD NORTH - 09/13/14 10:02 PM
A friend of mine with nothing better to do did some math today.

"They have concreted exactly 0.6 of a mile. Another 0.6 puts them exactly
in front of the entrance to Aji.

It has been a month since they started. If the road is a full 3 miles
and they continue at the exact same speed then 4 months more."

And, today was a day off for the road builders, probably tomorrow as well. Also, judging by the appalling state of the road from Reef Village to the bridge it's clear they started at the wrong end......
Posted By: elbert Re: ROAD NORTH - 09/13/14 11:51 PM
Did they factor in the impending election?
Posted By: Maya House Re: ROAD NORTH - 09/14/14 01:51 AM
Originally Posted by elbert
Did they factor in the impending election?

;-)
Posted By: champion Re: ROAD NORTH - 09/15/14 12:36 PM
Im betting they started north fist due to the weight of the mixer trucks. They didnt want to carry the loads over green concrete. Takes 30 days for full cure.
Posted By: Chris Re: ROAD NORTH - 09/15/14 04:03 PM
The mixer trucks and materials are based on the other side of the road from Grand Caribe so they would not have had to drive on the new road had it started at the bridge.
Posted By: champion Re: ROAD NORTH - 09/15/14 05:14 PM
Well, so much for that idea.
Posted By: champion Re: ROAD NORTH - 09/16/14 01:51 AM
2nd thought, they will move the plant south near the school and theater.
Posted By: Marty Re: ROAD NORTH - 09/18/14 06:03 PM

Video: Road on North Ambergris Caye

Here's a look on the progress on the paving of the road on North Ambergris Caye...enjoy!

Brought to you by the San Pedro Town Council

Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: ROAD NORTH - 09/18/14 09:28 PM
Where are the speed bumps........are they going in later?
Posted By: champion Re: ROAD NORTH - 09/18/14 09:31 PM
To hell with the speed bumps, give a job to 4 or 5 people with radar guns and give em a percentage of the fines, puts people to work and takes "most" of the graft outa of it.
Posted By: Maya House Re: ROAD NORTH - 09/18/14 09:33 PM
Al - The 'sped up' version, was simply a clear video demonstration of how fast everyone will actually be driving on the cart path, oops, don't want to get yelled at. I meant 'road'. ;-)
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: ROAD NORTH - 09/19/14 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Maya House
Al - The 'sped up' version, was simply a clear video demonstration of how fast everyone will actually be driving on the cart path, oops, don't want to get yelled at. I meant 'road'. ;-)

LOL
Posted By: Chris Re: ROAD NORTH - 09/19/14 01:37 PM
The road construction took last Sat, Sun and Mon off. They started a new section of road a few hundred feet from the Capricorn turnoff on Tuesday. As of yesterday (Thursday) evening about 600ft of one side of this new section had been poured, equivalent to 300 feet of full road.

So, it appears that the road is going in at approx. 100ft per day. There's about 11,400 feet to go. That's 114 days assuming no more days off are taken due to holidays, bad weather etc. If we add another 30 days, because days off for those reasons are inevitable, it means the road will be completed in about 150 days, ie. near the end of February.

Speed bumps: I think there will be an initiative from the Town Board to install properly engineered concrete speed bumps and interested parties will be able to "buy" sections of each speed bump. If this goes ahead the speed bumps will be pre-cast in sections, maybe 4 per bump, and installed over time. I am sure this will be of particular interest to resorts, residential parties etc.
Posted By: wilske Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/04/14 12:17 PM
So it's been a couple of weeks since the last update... where is the road now?
Posted By: JaHo Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/04/14 01:02 PM
We know they've been working this week. They're somewhere south of the turn before Capt. Morgan's. After talking with one of the road guys, he said they would stop north of Grand Caribe, then start at the bridge on town and work up, meeting where they leave their equipment.
Could be a happy choice for lots of people!
Posted By: Chris Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/04/14 01:23 PM
They're right at the corner past White Sands Cove. For some reason they missed out on 3 days of good weather, last Sat, Sun and Mon, but the last few days have seen some good progress.

Yesterday stakes were laid out on a few hundred feet of road north of the bridge. The road there is currently in an embarrassing state of disrepair.
Posted By: ragman Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/04/14 08:58 PM
Chris I wonder if they are going to work north from the bridge now? I don't see the downside of working the road north from the bridge. The mess just north of bridge, would be great if I never experienced it again.

At any rate the rain of recent was badly needed.
Posted By: Chris Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/05/14 01:32 AM
Around the 17th August the road north was in decent shape. There had been lots of dry weather. Nevertheless, in their infinite wisdom the "Idiots That Be" decided to grade the road into a heaving mess of dust.

On the other hand, now that we've had a bit of rain (a week ago now) the road is a series of interconnected potholes and we see no road grading action whatsoever.

Furthermore, you have to wonder which Moron In Chief decided to pave the road going south towards the bridge instead of north from the bridge.

As one person, who is banned from the message board even though he/she is often right, has observed....the Inmates are most definitely in charge at the Asylum. It's hard to think of how this could have been handled more horribly.

The good news is.... there's lots of money spent on tonight's big political convention in Central Park. All in attendance will have a great time!
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/05/14 02:30 AM
I drove up the road on Wednesday. They stopped just south of Capt. Morgan's and started again about Whites Sand through to El Pescador. I have been told there are a few 'right of way' issues.

There are stakes along the road just north of the bridge - this is a very unstable area - let's hope they get a good foundation before the lay slabs.

Maybe Tracker can fill us in.
Posted By: seashell Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/05/14 07:35 AM
Chris

As one person, who is banned from the message board even though he/she is often right, has observed....the Inmates are most definitely in charge at the Asylum. It's hard to think of how this could have been handled more horribly.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.
Posted By: ragman Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/05/14 02:16 PM
Well that squirrel has found more than his share over the years. smirk
Posted By: seashell Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/05/14 03:04 PM
"More than his share". You said it, I didn't.
Posted By: klcman Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/05/14 03:30 PM
too funny......
Posted By: Chris Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/06/14 05:29 PM
They're laying out the form work for the road starting at the bridge. Excellent! Also, on Sunday morning they graded the road from the bridge through the end of Tres Cocos. It's a much smoother ride now.

You can see the "head" of the road heading south from the 2nd floor at Grand Caribe so there has been some good progress over the last few days. Weather looks like it'll be good for a few days yet.
Posted By: wilske Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/17/14 04:15 PM
Bahhahaha... too funny! How are the roads coming along?
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/17/14 09:34 PM
I just sent photos and a little tale about a stuck truck to Marty for posting.
Use caution when on the dirt-mud areas and stay away from the "shoulders". These edge areas tend to be a slurry of sucking sludge.

Posted By: Marty Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/17/14 11:05 PM

Today about 2:30 PM, a dump truck got badly stuck right near Lazy Croc.

The concrete land next to it was in process of being poured and therefore not driveable, and there was no alternative passage for carts, nor motorbikes.

A second dump truck arrived and pulled the stuck one out. Both trucks dumped their loads of hard core in the slurry, and a grader slid the stuff around into place.

All in all, for what was a major mess, it took only an hour to straight out.

Traffic was lined up both north and south. One more adventure.

Motorists, please note that you should avoid the shoulders of puddles. Sometimes they look like a better elevation, but often they are like quicksand and down you go. Most of the puddles along the way are not terribly deep and you can safely drive right down the middle. The middle is firmer than the "shoulder" in most places.

truck extracted, hardcore about to be dumped in hole

Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/18/14 11:39 PM
Thanks Diane - good photos
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/19/14 12:29 PM
You also have to watch out that you do not drive too close to the rebar that sticks out from the new pads, rebar is not very "Tire friendly"
Posted By: JaHo Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/19/14 12:35 PM
After this morning's rain, I can only imagine what it looks like down close to the bridge! What a mess! We need those potholes filled quickly, or we'll all be just like the gravel truck!
Posted By: Marty Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/22/14 04:46 PM

NORTH ROAD UPDATE

Click photos for more pictures!

The San Pedro Town Council updates on progress of paving road across the Boca del Rio Bridge.

Here are some pictures on the progress of the paving of the road on North, Ambergris Caye. The paving is already approaching Grand Caribe Belize. Some sections are being paved already like in front of Reef Village and the right off the north side of the bridge.

Posted By: champion Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/23/14 12:20 AM
Yeah!
Posted By: Hon Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/23/14 01:49 AM
Has proper drainage been put in place or has the concrete been poured onto the quagmire?
Posted By: BZ4me Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/23/14 04:39 AM
Could someone explain why there is a gap between the theatre and Solitude?
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/23/14 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by SnowWhite5080

probably waiting for the water to go down a bit? looks like a lot of hardcore will be needed in that area.
Posted By: Yesilivehere Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/24/14 01:55 AM
[Linked Image]

It will be very welcomed to get the road here!
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/24/14 04:11 AM
Honestly, is there no way to cut a ditch out to the lagoon and drain this lake?
Posted By: tahunt Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/24/14 05:11 AM
Even a cement road wont last under that kind of water. They better figure out a way to drain the water when it rains before even pouring the concrete.
Posted By: Capt. Hollywood Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/27/14 02:08 AM
Originally Posted by SnowWhite5080
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/27/14 02:16 AM
I just learned that it has been filled with hardcore.
Posted By: champion Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/27/14 05:52 PM
Remember this, for every action, there is an equal but opposite reaction, flat smooth roads, New large pools of standing water and nesting grounds for Mosies, etc..
Posted By: BZ4me Re: ROAD NORTH - 10/28/14 11:22 PM
You have my attention. Can you explain who you are commenting on?
Posted By: Marty Re: ROAD NORTH - 01/03/17 01:49 PM

We ended the year by improving and expanding the section of the north road in front of Las Terrazas Resort leading to Journey's End.
San Pedro Town Council

Posted By: casa bella Re: ROAD NORTH - 01/04/17 08:31 PM
So what is the plan for the road. Will they concrete the rest of it . What about sewer and water . Did they run out of money , resources or political will. Haven't heard of any progress in some time .
Posted By: Marty Re: ROAD NORTH - 03/21/17 12:19 PM

BUMPY ROAD BE GONE! The stretch between Las Terrazas and Journey's End has been fixed and it is now a smoother commute.

Click photos for more pictures!

Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: ROAD NORTH - 03/21/17 01:25 PM
a welcome change!!

Now let's take care of it.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: ROAD NORTH - 03/21/17 03:04 PM
Wasn't this filled and leveled way back when and then disintegrated? Was the underlying problem fixed or just covered over?
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: ROAD NORTH - 03/22/17 11:18 AM
Wasn't this filled and leveled way back when and then disintegrated? Was the underlying problem fixed or just covered over?

No, it wasn't done-done the "first" time.
This effort was big and relatively proper.
Posted By: Marty Re: ROAD NORTH - 02/20/19 08:30 PM
[Linked Image]

Update On the Road North

My usual trip to town (from 7 miles north) was taking about 50 minutes. 7 miles! So I am BEYOND excited to see that repair work has started again. It started about a week ago�and has made its way down from NORTH.

Currently at about 5 miles north - around Mata Chica Resort and Rojo Lounge and heading south at about 1/2 - 3/4 miles a day.

It's like Christmas in February. This really needs to be done twice a year. The last 5 or 6 months have been rough on everyone - tourists driving to Secret Beach or to resorts north and to residents up my way.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Scoop
Posted By: Problem Solver Re: ROAD NORTH - 02/25/19 11:04 PM
How far north is this road planning on going and when do you think it will reach the farthest point north?
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: ROAD NORTH - 02/26/19 01:44 AM
You can drive to the Mexican border from San Pedro now. But it is long and rough drive. Hot, buggy and dark at times.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board