AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: filmmaker ben Shipping Containers - 06/07/15 12:26 PM
Hey everyone!

I'm interested in doing a building project on the island which will require a few 20-foot shipping containers, and unfortunately I've had a hard time getting my hands on them. The main difficulty is that I'm interested in containers that are in new or excellent condition, and there aren't many containers like that in Belize. It seems like my best option, then, is to buy containers that are being used to ship items from the states.

Does anyone have any leads or advice? I've already contacted Belize Estate Company and Hyde Shipping, and unfortunately they've been of no help.
Posted By: filmmaker ben Re: Shipping Containers - 06/07/15 12:28 PM
Another thought: If anyone is moving to the island soon and plans on taking advantage of the QRP container allowance, message me and I'd be happy to make sure your furniture travels in style in a brand new container!
Posted By: AC Lover Re: Shipping Containers - 06/07/15 12:50 PM
Ben, ours were not new. When we bought them in Long Beach, CA they were considered 'used but seaworthy' I suspect new ones would be expensive.
Posted By: filmmaker ben Re: Shipping Containers - 06/07/15 01:07 PM
They're not too expensive, actually -- and since (as you know) I'm planning to use them as buildings (and not storage), I think the additional cost of one-trip containers is worth it when considering the long term.

The expensive part is getting them here!
Posted By: SimonB Re: Shipping Containers - 06/07/15 03:53 PM
Try contacting Wings, they bring them in occasionally. Possibly you could arrange to buy one instead of them sending it back...
Posted By: filmmaker ben Re: Shipping Containers - 06/07/15 03:57 PM
That's a good thought -- thanks Simon.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Shipping Containers - 06/08/15 08:30 PM
These seem awfully hot inside regardless of roof sheltering.
Posted By: Wizardofaahs Re: Shipping Containers - 06/08/15 09:11 PM
Container homes are great! With appropriate insulation and building standards make them perfect.

I have a couple of sources and info with links. Will PM them to you when I get home this evening.

A really cool application is the 4 that have a nice concrete raised pad and nice roof over the whole thing is at Victoria House.
Posted By: Bear Re: Shipping Containers - 06/16/15 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by filmmaker ben
...I'm planning to use them as buildings....

Per new island construction code please do not stack more than 5 high.... wink
Posted By: Greybeard Re: Shipping Containers - 08/03/15 01:52 AM
Do you still want containers?
Posted By: filmmaker ben Re: Shipping Containers - 08/03/15 04:30 PM
Thanks Greybeard, but my containers have already arrived. You can follow the progress of their transformation here.

[Linked Image]
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board