AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: fave New Hotel/Condo in town - 09/07/01 12:44 AM
Does anyone know the name of the new condo/hotel in town? I walked through the place, and the guy at the desk gave me info, but I lost it. They have very nice condos, very cheap...2BR, full everything, beachfront for less that $150 or so. I think it's near the cemetary.
Posted By: Over_40_Pirate Re: New Hotel/Condo in town - 09/07/01 02:25 AM
Fountain Blue ph# 501-263700

[This message has been edited by Over_40_Pirate (edited 09-06-2001).]
Posted By: Lynn5678 Re: New Hotel/Condo in town - 09/07/01 03:06 AM
Anyone know if the Fountain Blue website is up yet?
Posted By: Chloe Re: New Hotel/Condo in town - 09/07/01 04:04 PM
I am waiting for the website too.
Posted By: Marty Re: New Hotel/Condo in town - 09/07/01 05:15 PM
its very close.
sneak preview. //AmbergrisCaye.com/fountainblue/

its gonna be on a domain, and we're still tweaking it, theres more pics at
//AmbergrisCaye.com/fountainblue/unused.html
Posted By: Gela Re: New Hotel/Condo in town - 09/07/01 06:26 PM
This place is outstanding! I think next year,I'll be staying there!
Posted By: KC Re: New Hotel/Condo in town - 09/07/01 07:17 PM
5% service charge? I can see separating out the 7% hotel tax, but I've not seen a separate "service charge" before. Do any other resorts do this? Is this like a "tip" to the service people? If so, do they have a no tipping policy at the hotel? Just curious.
Posted By: seashell Re: New Hotel/Condo in town - 09/08/01 07:10 AM
I think Mayan Princess charges a 10%. Supposedly after they charge you that service fee, you are not to feel obligated to tip.

I have a big problem with that myself. I like to make sure that the people that have looked after me (maids, etc.) get a financial recognition from me, not something out of the 10%. Therefore, I'd rather stay somewhere that doesn't charge it and tip as I chose to do.
Posted By: Sandshaker Re: New Hotel/Condo in town - 09/08/01 01:21 PM
Nice job Marty!
Posted By: jlslks Re: New Hotel/Condo in town - 09/08/01 02:21 PM
If memory serves me right,isn't this the way
most "big resort" towns started????? I,for one love AC just like it is!!!!!!
Posted By: Chloe Re: New Hotel/Condo in town - 09/08/01 04:39 PM
Maybe the service charges is common to condos, verses hotel/motel rooms. Condos would take three times as long for the cleaning time.
Posted By: seashell Re: New Hotel/Condo in town - 09/08/01 08:12 PM
I didn't pay that service fee at Rock's, now known as the Blue Tang Inn.

I'm fairly sure that when I was doing my advance planning for my last trip, that I ruled out all of the places that did charge that fee, if their rates were otherwise the same as for a comparable place. Mayan really sticks out in my mind. I don't think that Paradise Villas charges it either.

When I asked Mayan about it they explained that it was to be in leiu of tips.
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First Re: New Hotel/Condo in town - 09/08/01 10:07 PM
I don't necessarily agree with it, but the practice of levying a service charge is fairly common at both beach resorts and jungle lodges in Belize. As a guess, I would say one-third to one-half of the more upscale of them do have a service charge, typically of 5 to 10%. Hotels (as opposed to lodges and resorts) typically don't have a fixed service charge. Some condotels on Ambergris Caye such as The Palms do have a service charge.

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: patrick-e Re: New Hotel/Condo in town - 09/09/01 03:01 AM
Marty, Really nice site. We also visited the Fountain Blue resort one afternoon and found it to be a very nice property. Everything about it is brand new!
Posted By: KC Re: New Hotel/Condo in town - 09/09/01 07:41 AM
I really dislike the "service charge" and I wonder if the service people really end up with it. I prefer tipping, and I tip according to the service I receive... I always tip "adequately", but tip "generously" for good service. And to me, attitude is everything... (almost).

Kathy
Posted By: Nfpolaris Re: New Hotel/Condo in town - 09/10/01 08:37 PM
Just got back & took a tour of Fountain Blue...besides the fact its next to the cemetary..it's beautiful, rooms are one bedroom, full kitchen, living room with tv & phone & cute courtyard...rates about $150
low season. Has space at Christmas, which is great. Rooms are small but very nice. I do hope the service is good..girl who gave me tour around was nice. But since its only been open for 2 weeks it was a ghost town!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board