AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: diverdude cuban cigars - 01/19/02 03:03 AM
Does anyone know what the penalty is if caught bringing a box of cubans back to the states? or will customs just confiscate them?
I brought some back last year from Mexico and didnt have any problems but I'm not sure if I should risk it this year????
Posted By: KC Re: cuban cigars - 01/19/02 05:47 AM
I think the penalty is that the customs officers get to smoke a nice cuban that evening! [Linked Image] Seriously, with them checking every single bag... I wouldn't risk it myself (that is, if I liked Cuban cigars!)

Kathy
Posted By: sscubabob Re: cuban cigars - 01/19/02 06:44 AM
The origination is not the determination, it's the US law.

On Belize, I found nice Cubans but nothing worth bringing back. I actually bring my own after years of travel and cigar disappointments. I long to find a real Cuban Cohiba robusto for a price I can pay.

How come Arnold Schwarzenegger can smoke them in public at any time and not get questioned how he got them? Someone's bringing them in. Not Arnold of course as that would be illegal. They must be a gift from someone who can legally bring them in (Diplomat). Like Arnold and the other movie stars flaunting their Cubans in public have diplomatic ties. What a crock. But now we're into poitics and your visit to AC will be free from that. Enjoy. See you in March?
Posted By: rickcheri Re: cuban cigars - 01/19/02 10:51 AM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: doctor feel good Re: cuban cigars - 01/19/02 04:40 PM
actually, i think the cuban cigars in san pedro are very good. there is a place on pescador street, just up from elvi's on the left, that sells them. reasonble prices, for high priced, over-valued cuban cigars. don't get me wrong, i smoked one, two sometimes, every night, just because they were there.

i brought some home, but with great care. i simply removed the labels. i realize that is unlawful, but i guess i stayed too long on the island of freedom. actually, i think i could have brought several back. the belize customs people checked bags somewhat thoroughly, but they didn't even look at our carry-on bags. heck, they didn't even look inside one lady's bags at all. us customs was the easiest. they asked one question, looked at the passport, and that was it.

all of that notwithstanding, the security may be more strict from here on out.
Posted By: sscubabob Re: cuban cigars - 01/19/02 05:14 PM
The Cubans were OK priced. It adds to the enjoyment just because they are from Cuba. Two trips ago my friend got searched (random) and they took his cubans after a 15 minute scolding in a detention room. That was Houston.
Posted By: Chloe Re: cuban cigars - 01/19/02 05:17 PM
OH what a precious 15 minutes I had with 18 yr, grandson on the hotel patio, a few minutes after midnight on New Year's Eve in San Pedro. He had purchased his first cuban cigar, and was going to celebrate with it, first the wind blew out the matches, so I got the long BBQ lighter for him, he huffed and puffed, it got funnier by the minute, we laughed so hard, finally he got it going, after three puffs he said, this is awful, stubbed it out, stating, this is an over rated enjoyment. Gramma has the memories tho. LOL
Posted By: Marty Re: cuban cigars - 01/19/02 07:51 PM
i bring em back for friends, i put on my customs form that i have tobacco and a value for it. then they sometimes ask cigars or cigarettes and i say cigarettes and they have never once looked.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board