AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Landlocked Dining Trilogy - 05/16/02 03:11 PM
Hi, Going to be in AC for the first time this summer. First impressions tend to last so would like them to be good. Reading the board is reassuring. Thanks in advance. One thing that is hard to forget is the food. Where would you eat dinner on Fri. Sat. and Sun. in order to get the best variety of good memories?
Posted By: BankerWoman Re: Dining Trilogy - 05/16/02 05:37 PM
Caliente's is not-to-be-missed for their conch fritters and coconut chicken. Definitely BC's on Sunday for their barbecue. If you like jerk, Jambel's is a good bet and the Lion's Club BBQ on Fridays and Saturdays is the best value in town. Shark's Bar pizza or burgers when you're craving American. And if you're staying on the south end and don't want to venture out after a long day of fun, call Dennis the Bun Man and he will deliver you a delicious reasonably-priced pizzed via golf cart! When you're out and about, ask for "lime juice", a delicious limeade concoction available just about everywhere. Just MHO...
Can you tell we truly enjoyed our "food tour"???
Posted By: govikes Re: Dining Trilogy - 05/16/02 06:11 PM
You don't say if you're a couple or family, or where you're staying--but if you want a memorable, romantic, great food experience--go to Capricorn's (you have to call and make reservations), take a water taxi there (return trip is under the stars), Annabelle and Clarence are wonderful hosts and the food (while a little pricier that rest of SP) is fabulous!
Posted By: Sammie Re: Dining Trilogy - 05/16/02 07:02 PM
I intend to post my trip report soon but here were some of our dinner experiences last week: Jambels-good food, spicy!...Caliente- absolutely fabulous! (if we had gone earlier in the week, we would have eaten there every day)...Celi's-good (had the parmesan fish)but the serving was quite small compared to the other places we ate at and the key lime pie didn't have much flavor. However, don't miss the rum cake at Celi's Deli--yum!
Posted By: Chloe Re: Dining Trilogy - 05/16/02 07:24 PM
Bankerwoman, question did your hubby get sick after eating a burger? I ask because my group of 5 only 1 had one burger, he was deathly ill for 30hrs after. Thanks
Posted By: BankerWoman Re: Dining Trilogy - 05/16/02 07:33 PM
Yes, he did, but actually he became ill after one of the other meals I mentioned. The burger had been two days before. I had a burger that night, too, and tasted virtually everything he ordered at other places (and he tried mine as well when we had different items). He got sick. I did not. Maybe just the difference between our internal workings or maybe the fact that he had more of something that I had a little of. Don't know but I've seen it happen in Canada, the Bahamas and Mexico, too, so it definitely is not unique to AC. He made a full and quick recovery (thanks to Noroxin!).
Posted By: Fish Re: Dining Trilogy - 05/16/02 08:38 PM
What is noroxin?? One traveler told me to take pepto bismol tablets and take one before each meal. Seems a bit much to me. What does the board think about the possibilities of getting sick?
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Dining Trilogy - 05/16/02 08:46 PM
Here's a subject I can sink my teeth into!! First in my heart is Caliente's! I eat there almost daily and find the food, service, all excellent. It is hard to describe ALL my favorites there, everything is just great! All the meals are individually prepared so enjoy a refreshment and a conversation, or better yet, try the Conch Fritters! On Wednesdays, its Burrito Day at Mickey's Place, for lunch. Wonderful!! Another wonderful place to dine is Papi's Place. Its located towards the Ferry. Nothing "fancy", just well prepared local dishes, reasonably priced. Lunch at the Tropical across the street from Tropic Air is also a very good place to have breakfast or lunch. It feeds most all the employees at Tropic Air and features a daily special for lunch. Another good local place, a favorite of Marty Casada, is a local place in St Telmo. Its across the street from Riverwalk Nursury. Burrito's there are mayonaise from heaven. Another wonderful little place which is really not ready for "prime time" is Dianitas Take Out. Limited seating, but Ana prepares her meals at her home, real Belizian home cooking, and she prepares the food with love and serves it with a smile. Dianitas is next to Coconet Cafe.
Posted By: KWIBMF Re: Dining Trilogy - 05/16/02 10:01 PM
I agree with all the recommendations above, but I'm absolutely amazed that no one ever mentions HL Burger! You know, "The Burger King of Belize"? What's the point of going if you're going to leave that place off your AC dining itinerary?! Sheesh.
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Dining Trilogy - 05/17/02 11:32 PM
I have never had a meal at "Burger King" and until now, I've never met anyone who has eaten there. My main problem is Hamburgers in Belize is not the meat, but the bun. The hamburger buns here are so large that you can't taste anything but the bun.
Posted By: Rick&Rachel Re: Dining Trilogy - 05/17/02 11:38 PM
I know you asked for dinner, but absolutely DO NOT MISS Estel's by the Sea for breakfast. Words cannot even begin to describe! (P.S. They do not take credit cards!)
Posted By: rickcheri Re: Dining Trilogy - 05/18/02 05:32 AM
or Estel's for Breakfast!!!!!!

have to do Papis, Celi's, Jade Garden, La Margarita, George's Kitchen (for Lunch), Hideaway Hotel, Estell's, BBQ at BC's, Ambergris delight, and the street vendors!!!!
Rick
Posted By: Spyder Re: Dining Trilogy - 05/18/02 02:30 PM
And for fine dining, do not forget the Victoria House!!!
Posted By: Johnboy Re: Dining Trilogy - 05/18/02 03:12 PM
If you miss Papi's ,You've missed the best---Nothing fancy so go as you are....& Tropica also Is on our list....John&Linda
Posted By: sweetjane Re: Dining Trilogy - 05/18/02 03:44 PM
just to not leave it out, rendezvous is very nice & romantic, if spicy you like. french/thai mix. personable service as well.

lobster thai style..mmmm. glen, the barefoot chef really lived in thailand for a while. they make their own wine too.
Posted By: Debbie Re: Dining Trilogy - 05/18/02 06:14 PM
While we're mentioning Papi's Diner (my favorite place for lobster) I must also mention that Papi makes the absolute, hands down best pina colada I've ever had. They're huge and just AWESOME!!!!! [Linked Image]
Debbie
Posted By: KWIBMF Re: Dining Trilogy - 05/20/02 06:49 PM
Bill, I was joking, I'm not even sure if HL Burger is still in business. It's(was) a little stand on middle street. Me and a buddy tried a burger there on our first trip, worst I've ever had!
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Dining Trilogy - 05/20/02 11:44 PM
HL Burgers is still there! And the only problem I have with Belizian Hamburgers is that the buns here are so large, that you would need eight pieces of meat, to not just taste bun.
Posted By: Seaislegal Re: Dining Trilogy - 05/21/02 10:14 PM
Caliente was definitely my favorite!! The Flautas were delicious, same with the coconut chicken curry, the ginger rum chicken, conch fritters and everything else we had there!!!

Fidos was good too, same with Sharks which had great pizza. We enjoyed Estels for breakfast as well. Mangos had a great lunch selection. The only place I was somewhat disappointed with was El Patio.

Andrea ... less than a year till I'm back there!
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Dining Trilogy - 05/22/02 09:20 PM
EAT AT JOSE'S!!!!!!!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board