AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Wanda45 Dress code? Ladies? - 03/02/02 06:07 PM
Heading to AC in April. I know the dress code is casual. Will I regret taking only shorts? Am starting to shop for my trip. How about in the restaurants? Any suggestions welcome.
Posted By: Johnboy Re: Dress code? Ladies? - 03/02/02 09:47 PM
My wife worried herself sick last year (our first trip) about what to wear!!!! this Year she says she only needs one suitcase...Be comfortable and you will be in style....Belize it !!!!!!!
Posted By: Debbie Re: Dress code? Ladies? - 03/02/02 11:03 PM
No offense... Are you male or female? By all means dress comfortable and cool. If you're male, you can wear shorts anywhere. Even a swimsuit. Literally. If you're female, I'd suggest a sundress in addition to the shorts. I found them cooler. There's always a nice breeze, and at night walking along the beach, it's so cool and so sexy to have your dress billowing in the wind. Not to mention a little more comfortable after a sunburn... Be sure to pack a GOOD sunscreen. The sun is WAY stronger there than you think. I also packed a few swim suits. One for the pool and one for the sea. I hate wiggling into a damp or wet swimsuit.... YUCK! And if I didn't know what the day was going to hold, I wore a sarong around my swimsuit, so I could take a dip whenever I wanted, and then wrap it back around and head to a bar for a beer or restaurant for lunch. Made my day more "flexible". Don't bring your jewelry.... It makes you a bit of a target for the less than honorable. [Linked Image]
Debbie
Posted By: Chloe Re: Dress code? Ladies? - 03/03/02 12:54 AM
If female bring some of your summer outfits you enjoy at home, they will fit right in, day or evening.
Posted By: rickcheri Re: Dress code? Ladies? - 03/03/02 04:37 AM
shorts, shorts, shorts.....with maybe a couple a LITTLE dressy shirts..just for a change!!! C When in April??? We'll be there too!!!

[This message has been edited by rickcheri (edited 03-02-2002).]
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: Dress code? Ladies? - 03/03/02 05:46 PM
Shorts, T-shirts, skirts and sundress, thongs, tennis shoes (only for jungle trips), and of course, a couple of bathing suits for that beautiful water!
Posted By: brandilee3 Re: Dress code? Ladies? - 03/03/02 08:25 PM
I personally like to look cute on vacation, after no make-up and wearing a bathing suit all day its nice to take a shower and fix-up a bit. If you feel the same, take a cute little sundress or something. My boyfriend had been to AC a few times and told me not to pack anything nice and I was so mad at him because everyone one looked so cute and tropical at night. But DO REMEMBER YOUR ON VACATION....no one cares what you wear YOUR IN BELIZE BABY! You are going to have a BLAST!
Posted By: jake5492 Re: Dress code? Ladies? - 03/04/02 04:13 PM
We just came back from 10 days there.I met a couple on the plane on the way home.This was their 5 trip.They bring old clothes with them ,wear them and then give them to the locals who are thrilled to have them! They come home with empty suitcases.I thought this was a wonderful idea and will do the same when we return.Also I think it gives you an idea of the dress code??? Have fun it was the best vacation we ever had! I doubt we will be able to match it....
Posted By: Pilgrim Re: Dress code? Ladies? - 03/04/02 04:52 PM
jake...you've just solved my packing problems. What a wonderful idea.
Will be making my first trip to AC 3/11-3/18. Looking forward to being Belizean blue and not frozen blue.
Posted By: Wanda45 Re: Dress code? Ladies? - 03/04/02 07:43 PM
Will be there 4/6 thru 4/16. Based on everyone's praise, I can't wait!
Posted By: playabees Re: Dress code? Ladies? - 03/04/02 09:56 PM
If you're staying for ten days, see if your hotel has a laundry service. Our guests find that the less they pack, the better! Who wants to lug ten suitcases through the airport. Ouch...
Also, there are two or three laundry services in town so that's an option as well.
Have a wonderful time!
Stephanie Lehmkuhl
Manager
Tradewinds Paradise Villas
Posted By: sweetjane Re: Dress code? Ladies? - 03/05/02 02:17 AM
this is funny, and VERY female: my first trip there was mostly jungle. we packed for that, and just swimsuits for san pedro. we end up befriending this great couple, and the girl was a knockout. she had all these cute little short rompers & low cut sundresses. in my khaki shorts & t-shirt (and no make up), i felt like a total frump at 30!! (next trip i packed little dress or two, just in case!)
Posted By: Rocio Re: Dress code? Ladies? - 03/05/02 04:08 AM
Wanda45 gets a Gold Star for asking the question about a dress code, sweetJane gets "A" in understanding "Marketing 101", and Chloe and LaurieMar get an "A's" for always giving the correct answer. Brandilee gets a "Gold Star" for caring about her personal appearance in the evenings, I hope her boy friend is worth her effort.

Now for my POV, on the beach, in beach bars, shorts and tank tops/t-tops are fine, as Debbie says, sarongs are great in afternoon beach, pool and bar hopping, but when I sit down to dinner I want my lady to be dressed as a lady, sundress, long or short, a light shoulder wrap if needed, this is good for beach restaurants or mountain lodges. I don't want to know what or if she has anything on under it, I want to be surprised when it hits the floor or sand later on in the evening.

There is one thing that I will say, I know you are on vacation, I know you are having a good time and want to be carefree, I won't take that away from you, but remember you are in someone elses country and someone elses hometown and think about how you would want them to dress and act if they were on vacation and having meals at your favorite restaurant in your hometown.

Rocio
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: Dress code? Ladies? - 03/05/02 04:38 AM
Laughing at Rocio! Thanks for the "A". I think it is nice to wear something that makes you feel good when out to dinner too. And, after dinner, who knows?
Posted By: BankerWoman Re: Dress code? Ladies? - 03/05/02 03:47 PM
jake5492 --- I liked your fellow travellers' idea and, believing you do whatever you can in this world to help out, I would like to do something similar when travelling to AC in April. This question for everyone on the board, though: I'm not a particularly pc person but I'm wondering how you give your clothing to the folks in AC without looking like a condescending rich gringo. I'm given to believing that San Pedranos are proud, happy people with a rich tradition and much pride in who they are and where they live. How do you do this without diminishing their sense of pride and self-worth? Under what circumstances do these opportunities present themselves? Is there a "clothing bank" or something similar?

Please don't misunderstand. I am NOT criticizing anyone for doing a nice thing. Quite the opposite. I'm trying to figure out how to do the same thing and trying to make certain that I don't unintentionally hurt the people who have been gracious enough to share their beautiful island home with me for ten days.
Posted By: jake5492 Re: Dress code? Ladies? - 03/05/02 05:31 PM
there are plenty of opportunities to help out without offending.The people are VERY nice and appreciate our help.I'm not sure exactly how he gave his clothes but he also said he gives his hat away each trip too.He just walked up to a few people and said does anyone want a hat and all of them said yes.I'm sure an opportunity will present itself to you.people can feel what's in your heart and will know you are nice not condescending.You will come back a changed person..it's more than just a vacation
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Dress code? Ladies? - 03/08/02 04:51 AM
Why take clothes with you? Honestly - take money and buy a few things your first day there, not your last. The last time I was there I did not take any tank tops and it was to hot for regular T's. I had to rush out and buy one. They also have lovely sundresses that you won't find back home. I'm a BIG woman and sometimes it's hard to find things that fit, but people are helpful. I've found the shops over by the airport have larger sizes than do the ones on Front Street.
I buy a wrap (sarong) everyplace I go. They make more usable souvenir clothing than do T's. I use them like shawls for evening wear here at home and get all kinds of compliments. Again - find yours early in your trip so you can enjoy it there.
Best tip for packing light: wash your lingerie when you shower and it dries overnight.
Harriette
Posted By: BankerWoman Re: Dress code? Ladies? - 03/08/02 03:28 PM
Harriette: Thanks for the tip! I'm a big woman, too, and know what you mean about the fitting issue. Now I'll know where to look. Staying at Caribbean Villas which I understand isn't too far from the airstrip. Sounds like shopping will be right at my doorstep. 37 days and counting!

[This message has been edited by BankerWoman (edited 03-08-2002).]
Posted By: Wanda45 Re: Dress code? Ladies? - 03/08/02 04:13 PM
Harriet, bless you. I was having nightmares about all the women on the island being like skinny models! I too will be shopping at the airport.
Posted By: seashell Re: Dress code? Ladies? - 03/08/02 05:58 PM
Harriette, you sure got lucky. I agree that there are larger sizes in a couple of the shops over by the airport. However, despite that, at Christmas my friend and I, went shopping for her (larger sized) and we had one heck of a time. We finally found a little dress in a shop on frontstreet right near the square. There were some very nice things in there but most were too small or the cut was narrow even if they had the right size. We even went down to Boca del Rio where they had a few nice things too but again, not quite big enough.

I'm glad it's worked out for you, but me, I wouldn't chance it.
Posted By: Chloe Re: Dress code? Ladies? - 07/07/02 06:31 PM
Thought this would be good at the top again.

Most of all............where is Rocio?

He left us high and dry?
Posted By: denverdan Re: Dress code? Ladies? - 07/10/02 05:54 PM
Posted By: Seaislegal Re: Dress code? Ladies? - 08/22/02 05:56 PM
I overpacked when I was there in April. Pretty much I lived in swimsuits, cover-ups, tank tops and Teva's all day as we were either at the beach, in the water or on some water based excursion... and at night mostly cool sundresses or comfy short skirt/top combos.

I had a bunch of unworn shorts and tank tops to lug home with me. When I got back I went through my packing list from this year and highlighted everything I actually used so I can pack smarter next year! A hat is a must to protect you from the sun though.

One thing that was handy to take was a cheap float.. myself and a couple of friends just loved floating right off the beach at Banana Beach... and signaling our boyfriends when we needed a new drink!

Andrea in Atlanta
Heading back to Banana Beach May 3rd week..!
Posted By: stevie Re: Dress code? Ladies? - 08/25/02 04:52 AM
Rocio - I'm curious. How did you look in the evenings???
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board