AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: flyfisher 15 Days.. .Getting nervous - 05/02/02 06:12 PM
Hey everyone.. I've been browsing off and on here for a month or so now. We'll be leaving for A/C on the 17th of May - 24th of May... been doing lots of reading on what to bring etc. I guess I have a few questions and hopefully we can discuss all of them befor the 17th [Linked Image] Here's my first 3... #1 We are staying at Banyan Bay, does anyone fly fish here? If so, how far are wade-able flats from there? #2 Any particular flys you'd reccomend (i was thinking of bringing gotcha's, clousers and horrors) #3 I have a 5 piece rod in a metal tube (Loomis) With the new US travel restrictions, should I carry this on, pack it or what?
Extra credit question: What's good to see / where should we eat / booze up our first day or for happy hour around Banayan Bay since we'll probably be tired and not explore much. Anyone else stayed here? We have a beach front. Oh boy.. I have lots of questions. Thanks in advance everyone.
Posted By: Chloe Re: 15 Days.. .Getting nervous - 05/02/02 06:30 PM
Not just US restrictions, all international airport restrictions. Grandson took his fishing equipment, in a cardboard tube, and checked it with our checked luggage, no problem.
Posted By: sweetjane Re: 15 Days.. .Getting nervous - 05/02/02 07:01 PM
i do not think you can flyfish right from banyan bay. i do not fish and do not really know, but i thought flyfishing was done on the lagoon side???

i suggest you run a search (above, right) and use flyfishing as your search word. you should have all your questions answered. try 'lures' seperate if you don't find it the other route. i know this topic has been covered.

good luck!
Posted By: reefer geefer Re: 15 Days.. .Getting nervous - 05/02/02 08:51 PM
as for flyfishing numero uno recomendation is to have sun glasses with polarized lenses, yellow tinted prefered. they are an absolute must. I went flyfishing in the back flats (no wading, my guide said I'd sink up to my eyeballs) with a guide SeaDuced hooked me up with. The Bone Fish are the target for sport flyfishing there. they are hard to catch especially for an inept caster like me. I'm used to flyfishing small mountain streams. There is a really good site for fishing info on the link at the bottom of the message board. you probably have already checked it out.
Posted By: reefer geefer Re: 15 Days.. .Getting nervous - 05/02/02 09:00 PM
one more suggestion. just north of the airstrip on the west side check out the fish cleaning stations at the locals dock. The Tarpon are there feeding on the waste. They really are huge.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board