AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: MamaLiz Traveling with the Kiddies - 10/30/02 08:05 PM
After two long years I'm finally planning my return to Belize! This time I'll have the whole family in tow, so I think I'll have to skip the Punta dancing at the Barefoot Iguana. So, what do I do in the evenings? My daughters are 9 & 11.
Posted By: sweetjane Re: Traveling with the Kiddies - 10/30/02 09:36 PM
we took ours, (then 5 & 7) this past june. to be honest, after dinner, ice cream & a walk out on the pier, we usually chilled out in the condo with spongebob. we also brought the laptop so they could play PC games. the playground was open at night, but yours are a little old for that. there were lots of other kids hanging out there (it was summer).

any one else???
Posted By: sweetjane Re: Traveling with the Kiddies - 10/30/02 09:38 PM
ps - sitters were available & one night we did order them in a pizza & did the dancing thing. she was very sweet and THRILLED at the $20 frank gave her.

this was at caribe island. it was a very kid-friendly place without even trying.
Posted By: Debbie Re: Traveling with the Kiddies - 10/31/02 12:16 AM
Drive around in the golf cart. So much to see, especially if you're a kid on your first big vacation. Try the chicken drop. The kids love it. If your resort has a pool, let them swim at night. It's a special treat. Buy a ton of local fruit and let them make their own smoothies. (We had a blender in our room). Barefoot Iguana is a little loud and adult like, but I found that some nights, Fido's was pretty tame. We took our boys. Just check on that nights music. DEFINATELY take underwater lights with you. Let them lay on the edge of the dock and lower the lights into the water at night tied to a string. You would be amazed at the sea life that's attracted to it!!!! My kids were mesmerized. You can get the lights at Academy. There's a guy in San Pedro that does magic. He's awesome. We bumped into him and he put on a show for our boys and some kids we gathered up. don't remember his name, and the shop where he worked was closed this past summer, so I don't know where he works now. But ask around. He is worth the effort. Take some cards and games etc. There are lots of kids around, and they are so friendly. They would love to share in a game. There were kids that played soccer on the beach in the afternoon after school too. Hope this helps....
Debbie
Posted By: MamaLiz Re: Traveling with the Kiddies - 10/31/02 04:19 PM
Great advice. thanks!
I had been thinking about a sitter and had only thought about the playground in the daytime. I was also wondering about Fido's...I've been hoping that with the British history Belize is more laid back about kids in bars than the US is. I don't want to take my kids someplace too rowdy, but I don't want to stay in every night either.
Thanks again!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board