AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: lipsticktube Diving Certification in AC - 12/25/02 08:10 AM
Hello: I'll be in AC in February and want to do my open water dives for certification there (will have all of the pool and book stuff done). Can anyone suggest a good dive shop/instructor?

Thanks
Lee
Posted By: Sandcrab Re: Diving Certification in AC - 12/25/02 01:30 PM
Hi Lee,

Welcome to the board. There are many good dive shops and instructors on Ambergris Caye, and all are registered tour operators.

I suggest you contact a couple of them for rates and times or instruction.

Here are a couple of web site links:

Amigos del Mar-
http://www.amigosdive.com/index.html

Barefoot Diving-
http://barefootwatersports.net/

Hope this helps,
Jim
Posted By: Sandy C Re: Diving Certification in AC - 12/25/02 05:48 PM
Merry Christmas! People I recommended Amigos del Mar to were very happy with their certification instruction and certification dives. Happy diving...
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Diving Certification in AC - 12/25/02 08:22 PM
Billy Leslie at Hustler's is one of the finest instructors on the island. Their pier is located at the south end of town (by the Blue Tang Inn and Paradise Villas) however, they will pick you up at any dock.
Capt. Morgan's uses their dock as their departure site and Wet Willy's wink bar and grill is on the end of the dock. It's fun to do the two tank morning dive with Hustler's as you can get a good lunch as soon as you get back.
One of the things I liked about diving with them is that I could leave all my gear with them and it would be dry and on the boat ready for me the next morning.
Good luck.
cool Harriette
Posted By: patrick-e Re: Diving Certification in AC - 12/25/02 09:34 PM
I second the recommendation of Billy Leslie and Hustler Tours. By the way, they are located at the north end of the San Pedro, but south of the cut. We received our advanced open water certificaion from Billy last year, and he is great!
Posted By: RobertE Re: Diving Certification in AC - 12/25/02 10:45 PM
Ditto on Billy at Hustler or the guys at Barefoot watersports!
Posted By: Marty Re: Diving Certification in AC - 12/26/02 12:21 AM
here's a list of dive shop operators, feel free to contact any of them:
//AmbergrisCaye.com/diving/
Posted By: lipsticktube Re: Diving Certification in AC - 12/26/02 06:57 AM
Thanks for the help everyone!
Posted By: scubatsa Re: Diving Certification in AC - 12/26/02 07:07 PM
I've never seen a post that was negative toward a shop or instructor. We've always liked Roberto Canul with Ambergris Divers. When my wife was certified by him he was with Aqua Dives. Where are you staying? There may be a shop on the grounds. It seems like all the shops will pick you up and drop you off wherever you want and I know that Ambergris Divers and Aqua Dives will also take care of your gear during your stay.
Posted By: Rita Re: Diving Certification in AC - 12/26/02 11:46 PM
Amigos Del Mar...only way to fly underwater!
Posted By: son of a son Re: Diving Certification in AC - 12/27/02 04:25 PM
I also would recommend Billy from Hustler's. We went there (Belize) to only snorkel and we felt so comfortable with the whole group there at Hustler's that we went ahead and did the whole diver certification course with Billy. What an experience!!! smile
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Diving Certification in AC - 12/28/02 11:17 PM
Boy was I upside down when I wrote "south of town?" eek Thanks for the correction.
Harriette
Posted By: David C Re: Diving Certification in AC - 12/29/02 06:23 PM
I'll be staying about 1 mile north of San Pedro. Which of the recommended dive schools is easily accessible from that location?
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Diving Certification in AC - 12/29/02 06:59 PM
If you are one mile north of town you will be near Alonzo Flota and his "custom-diving" service - he can do full certification and is a great diver & guide - is also very safety conscious. His dive operation is called "Under da Sea" and is based at El Pescador Lodge. Contact Alonzo via this e-mail address: <[email protected]>
Posted By: David C Re: Diving Certification in AC - 12/31/02 02:29 AM
I contacted Alonzo and was surprised to find that his certification course is about twice as long as the others - eg Hustler, Blue Hole etc. Any idea why his should take longer? Am I missing anything if I opt for the shorter ones? Interestingly, they all grant the same certification and are all the same price!
Posted By: EP Re: Diving Certification in AC - 12/31/02 07:00 PM
Alonzo's PADI full certification course takes 4 days - 2 days of diving and 2 days of class room work. If you only need a Refferal Course to complete your open water dives - it will just take the 2 days of diving.

Have a Great time!
Posted By: Marty Re: Diving Certification in AC - 01/01/03 01:38 AM
here's a note from Alonzo:
///////
Good question. I told David that the course will take 4 days but did not
mention that some time it takes 6 days. I can do an Open Water Course in 3
days if the weather is in great conditions and the person is very good
student and good in the water. I think that 4 days 6 to 8 hours a day is
just enough for a person to learn how to be a great diver and I will help
them acomplish that.

Regards
Alonzo
Posted By: Chris Re: Diving Certification in AC - 01/01/03 02:42 AM
Marty;

Could you relay to Alonzo that Lee will only need the 4 Certification Dives.

"Hello: I'll be in AC in February and want to do my open water dives for certification there (will have all of the pool and book stuff done)."

Looks like he's under the impression that Lee needs a full Open Water course from scratch.

Hustler, Blue Hole etc. would take 2 days (which is entirely proper and correct) for the 4 certification dives, weather permitting. I think Alonzo would be able to offer the same time frame.
Posted By: Marty Re: Diving Certification in AC - 01/01/03 03:18 AM
thanks Chris, just messaged Alonzo...
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board