AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: MisterB Rain Forest Rum Bitters - 04/01/08 08:51 PM
Picked up a bottle of this out of curiosity at Super Buy on back street. Holy crap! I think this is the most vile stuff I've ever tasted!

What am I supposed to do with it? I can't imagine it would do anything to improve a cocktail, even in miniscule quantities. Is this intended more as a sort of patent medicine type thing?
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Rain Forest Rum Bitters - 04/01/08 09:30 PM
Yes, medicinal. Belizean cure all. Take a bit daily, like a tonic.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Rain Forest Rum Bitters - 04/02/08 12:26 AM
I hear it's good for cleaning stainless steel.
Posted By: *I Do* Belize Weddings Re: Rain Forest Rum Bitters - 04/04/08 07:06 PM
too funny that you thought it was for cocktails! It's actually great stuff.
Posted By: MisterB Re: Rain Forest Rum Bitters - 04/04/08 08:39 PM
Hey, it was on the shelf with all the other rums! What else was I gonna think?

Should've been over in the other aisle with the cough syrups....
Posted By: colomojo Re: Rain Forest Rum Bitters - 04/06/08 06:05 PM
Is that similar to the Pistachio wine stuff? - OH MY!!
Posted By: klcman Re: Rain Forest Rum Bitters - 04/06/08 06:44 PM
Don't you mean Cashew wine?
Posted By: colomojo Re: Rain Forest Rum Bitters - 04/06/08 07:40 PM
Yeah that was it! Pistachio - Cashew - me - all the same - NUTS!!
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Rain Forest Rum Bitters - 04/07/08 02:44 PM
No not similar at all. Cashew wine is very sweet, like an after dinner type wine. (Rum) bitters is well, very bitter and medicinal tasting. Very good for you for digestion and boosting your immune system. Da bitta, da betta
Posted By: colomojo Re: Rain Forest Rum Bitters - 04/07/08 02:59 PM
I am pretty sure it was cashew wine I tried sick cry shocked wwwhhheeeeeewwwwwwwww It was yyyuuuuckkkkyyy!! I can drink Tequila and Jeager with no problem but this stuff (whatever it was) was awful. It was like jet fuel (I quit drinking that awhile back wink )
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Rain Forest Rum Bitters - 04/07/08 03:59 PM
Probably not cashew wine then which is very sweet and syrupy, mild in alcohol level. Maybe Cane Juice?
Posted By: colomojo Re: Rain Forest Rum Bitters - 04/07/08 06:06 PM
I could swear it was cashew wine but I could be wrong - the bartender at the Roadkill served it too us. Maybe it had been sitting there for a long time and it really fermented, who knows? I'll try it again next month when I am back on the island and let you know! I am curious now though.
Posted By: colomojo Re: Rain Forest Rum Bitters - 04/07/08 06:09 PM
BTW - what is cane juice? If I remember correctly what we tried was light brown in color but super potent - VERY strong in the burn department!
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Rain Forest Rum Bitters - 04/07/08 10:02 PM
Cane juice would be clear. It is similar to rum. Maybe not as refined?
They normally do not serve cashew wine at any of the bars. Hard to find Cane juice served these days too. Must have been something else. Maybe the bitters...let us know next month.
Posted By: colomojo Re: Rain Forest Rum Bitters - 04/07/08 10:33 PM
I will let you know for sure - I'll probably know just by whiffing it, I am not sure if I could actually ingest it again. Like I said it was like jet fuel. sick
Posted By: catdance62 Re: Rain Forest Rum Bitters - 04/12/08 12:50 PM
yeah, bitters is a medicinal tonic. This time when we got to Belize, mi esposo was still fighting the remnants of a wicked flu and everyone recommended bitters and a dip in the ocean! He just couldn't do the bitters, but did get in the ocean. (no help, he had to go to the village clinic in the end for his wicked wicked cough)
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board