AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Belmopan, Belize, 8 November 2011- The Mexican Embassy invites the general public to the opening of the art exhibition "The Creation of Eve" by the renowned Belizean painter and musician Pen Cayetano.

The exhibition forms part of the Garifuna celebrations in Belize, and will be inaugurated at the Institute of Mexico in Belize, on Friday, November 11th, 2011 at 6:30 p.m.

For the sixth time since 1996, the Mexican Embassy has been hosting the exhibition depicting the latest artistic production by Master Pen Cayetano, one of the most important cultural figures during the celebrations in November dedicated to the Garifuna culture.

Delvin "Pen" Cayetano, painter, singer, songwriter, percussionist, guitarist, is the leading cultural reviver and Ambassador of the Garinagu. He was born in 1954 in Dangriga, the cultural capital of the Garinagu. He is a self-taught painter and musician.

Cayetano began his artistic career as a painter in the 70's. His paintings portray scenes of everyday life in Belize, its folklore, history and Garifuna culture. His works has been exhibited in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, Belgium and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. In Mexico, his exhibitions have been hosted at the Museum of Mayan Culture in Chetumal and at the National Museum of Cultures in Mexico City. An upcoming exhibition will be presented in the Mexican city of Merida.

In 2008, the Language, Dance and Music of the Garifuna were inscribed in the List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of UNESCO (United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organization).

This latest exhibition, "The Creation of Eve" which includes more than 30 oil paintings will open on Friday, November 11th, at 6:30 pm at the Institute of Mexico in Belize. Entrance will be free and open to the general public. The exhibition will remain open until November 30th, 2011.

The Institute of Mexico is located at the corner of Newtown Barracks and Wilson Street, in Belize City. For more information, please call 223-1408, or write to [email protected] or visit the Embassy's web page: www.sre.gob.mx/belice/ and the Embassy's Facebook page.
Pen Looks to Eve For Inspiration

Pen Cayetano doesn't make quilts, he's been known to make cultural masterpieces.

But, in his annual November exhibit at the Institute of Mexico, he's taken a break from cultural themes to explore the fairer sex. It's called "The Creation of Eve" and since the 19th of November - which is celebrated as Garifuna Settlement Day- is just around the corner; Cayetano told is he is dedicating his exhibit to the Garifuna culture. The exhibit includes 30 oil paintings and today 7news got a sneak peek.

Pen Cayetano
"This exhibition is entitled "the creation of Eve" and it comprises of about 30 paintings and "the creation of Eve" is very important to the women of Belize and the world. You remember when Eve was created Adam felt happy because there was his partner and I say to it that Eve and Adam were created equally. Like how the biblical world would say that she came from the ribs of Adam but for me it comes from the heart of Adam or Adam comes from the heart of Eve, vice versa."

"In this exhibition here although we don't have the original painting here to see - we have this painting called the "natural life in Dangriga" it shows the way how people used to live in the open life planting their plantains, bananas and mango trees and this is actually my farm. And apart from that you can see some other paintings."

"I get this inspiration here at about 3 o' clock one morning and I went down to my studio and I sketch this and took me about two or three weeks before I start to paint this picture "the creation of Eve." I found that many women in Belize have pass through some hard times especially when they are abused by men, so this exhibition "the creation of Eve" is to celebrate the women power, that's what this exhibition is all about."

The exhibit opens 6:30 this evening at the Institute of Mexico. It will run throughout the entire month of November.

Channel 7

"The Creation of Eve" is the latest exhibit by artist, Pen Cayetano

The versatile artist and Garifuna Ambassador, Pen Cayetano is holding an exhibition at this time at the Mexican Institute in Belize City. News Five caught up with the artist this morning as he was putting his final touches on the exhibition called "The Creation of Eve". Cayetano who doubles up as a painter and musician says he is paying homage to women who should be celebrated at all times:

Pen Cayetano, Painter

"The creation of Eve to me it was like yeah the, she was born along the times with Adam. In the biblical way times they say Adam was born before Eve. Well I think they both come together on the earth nuh, well Eve is important to Adam as well as Adam to Eve yuh know. So this is the way how we stand up and live right yah now because of that kind of creation. The creation of Eve is something that women supposed to be proud as well as men because without Eve that time there, right now yuh know life would ah be dumb, dark suh to celebrate 'womenism' in Belize and the world, I create this painting " The Creation of Eve."

Andrea Polanco

Pen Cayetan

"Tell us a little bit more about the paintings that we're seeing here?"

Pen Cayetano

"Well especially the painting here, this painting here is depicting the women working in the kitchen for the dugu ceremony. The dugu ceremony is when somebody dies and the ancestors come to them in a dream and they need to have a spiritual healing for them. This painting is preparing the food for the spirits of the dugu. If you see in the background here there is a man with a guitar; paranda the music of the Garifuna people is very important to the Belize and to the world right now."

Andrea Polanco

"So what is very evident Pen is that through your work of art, you are recognizing some of the people who have contributed to the culture and you are also trying to send out a message through your art?"

Pen Cayetano

"Yes, exactly. The message I want to send out is that people ought to see what we have here in Belize and work with what we have here because Belize is a multicultural place and so many beautiful people live. It is a place where you find everything, the sea, the mountain, you can't call for nothing more. Belize is a beautiful, blessed place. I think one of these days Belize going to be the center of the world."

The exhibition which is showcasing thirty pieces of 2011 art will run from November eleventh through to the thirtieth. The pieces will also be on sale.

Channel 5

© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board