AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: SimonB Puppies for adoption! - 03/26/03 04:10 AM
SAGA Society is always looking for loving parents for the strays that are picked up off the streets during our regular "round ups".

Our goal is to pick up unhealthy or injured un-collared dogs, nurse them back to health if possible and then adopt them out to loving homes.

As the vet is in town each Friday it's a fairly simple process to obtain the required health certificates to transport an adopted pet back to the US or Canada should you desire to provide a home out of the country (many dogs and cats from Belize now live in loving homes outside of the country).

If you wish to visit the clinic while on the island you can contact SAGA at [email protected] or just drop by the clinic, which is located directly across the street from Ramon's Village.

As usual, donations are always gratefully accepted through the SAGA website (www.ambergriscaye.com/sagasociety), through the coin boxes around town and at the clinic itself.

SAGA is in the middle of a fund drive to raise funds for a new shelter that will be better able to house and care for more animals and to provide veterinary care to those persons who have pets but are unable to afford the services.

For the residents of Ambergris Caye, we ask that you please put a collar on your pet(s) to ensure that they are not inadvertently picked up during one of the "round ups". If your pet goes missing please contact the clinic or the police immediately, as, after 30 days, they will be considered abandoned. We also ask of all those who are able to please have your cat or dog spayed or neutered.

Best regards,

SAGA
Posted By: dbdoberman Re: Puppies for adoption! - 03/26/03 06:49 AM
just received my tank in the mail today, Simon, nice shirt, thanks.

I wish you folks success in getting the new shelter built. Don't know how folks can visit AC, see the strays and not donate - but then, I am a sucker for pups. I will be stopping by.
Posted By: Marie Re: Puppies for adoption! - 03/26/03 03:25 PM
Saga is a wonderful group, and the stray population has reduced significantly. I try to find two dogs a year to take to them, and donate $50 each for them to be neutered. Only corraled one this year, still gave them $100. I think I need to up that next year. They can use all the help they can get. It was only about a year ago that the village last put out poison for the strays, and 30 or so had a mean death. I understand Saga has made an agreement to take in the ones who are not saveable, and humanely euthanize them. That doesn't sit well with me, but is a lot better than randomly killing any dog who comes along. Check with Eileen at the San Pedro Sun. Good woman. I told her about one with a bad eye I couldn't get, and a injured cat. She said she will look for them, and she will. Good folks.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board