AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Master Plan Consultation - 04/07/10 03:49 AM
CZM are planning a consultation next week on the revised Master plan. Here is a copy of their last revision from February, so people have a chance to look at it...

Consultation is scheduled for 6:30pm at the Lions Den on Tuesday the 13th of April.

Posted By: CaptOneIron Re: Master Plan Consultation - 04/07/10 11:25 AM
I am really not conversant with what something like this should look like but it doesn't seem to me that there is enough detail in these maps to make any difference at all, e.g. the so called map of the roads of the North doesn't seem to correspond to reality. Also, without at least some landmarks on the map it is hard for me to imagine exactly what is being proposed and where.

I would be interested in hearing from any of you that are knowledgeable really what all this means (I have my own suspicions).
Posted By: hazzyy Re: Master Plan Consultation - 04/07/10 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by CaptOneIron
I am really not conversant with what something like this should look like but it doesn't seem to me that there is enough detail in these maps to make any difference at all, e.g. the so called map of the roads of the North doesn't seem to correspond to reality. Also, without at least some landmarks on the map it is hard for me to imagine exactly what is being proposed and where.

I would be interested in hearing from any of you that are knowledgeable really what all this means (I have my own suspicions).

You hit the nail on the head there. "Road Network"???? Network, not so much. If that's a road "network" then my degree in Computer Network Engineering is worth nothing. Where's the network? Hopefully that pdf is maybe a blank canvas to start on. It cracks me up...for one, the network consist of ONE road...unless of course you're counting the one they show running through the river on the border. I think most of us love Belize for the simplicity of things but when it comes to matters such as these shouldn't things be a little more up to par? I mean at least use a proper map key that doesn't use the same line weight and color for borders and roads. As backwards as it is I honestly really do love Belize. Come to think of it, born and raised in New Orleans; it's really not much different.
Posted By: johnnyG Re: Master Plan Consultation - 04/13/10 03:15 AM
The Consultation is tomorrow - Tuesday at 6.30pm - Yes there is lots of holes in this Master Plan, the only way for us to fix them is to go to the consultation and point them out. If we dont then this will fail and we will fighting the same battles for the next 50 years. A proper Master Plan is sooo important.
Posted By: pamkillen Re: Master Plan Consultation - 04/13/10 12:47 PM
My understanding is that the presentation is of a DRAFT. It is put out there for feedback. That is the rational process that communities use to begin the process. So take all your comments to the meeting in a positive way and participate. Otherwise, back off and let the people committed to a better future do the work with the support of well meaning people who may have differing opinions.
Posted By: elbert Re: Master Plan Consultation - 04/14/10 02:50 PM
The meeting last night was to view and give input to the First Draft. A very good presentation. The projector screen didn't fall during the meeting as it usually does at the Lions Den gatherings.
Interesting crowd. The mayor attended and a large number of people that sell realestate on the island.
Its a very good plan and i feel it is a more modern version of the master plan addressing the environmental issues with todays knowledge rather than what was known in 1989, when the last Master Plan was written.
Something I could input is my observation of the failing of the 1989 plan so possibly it wont happen this time.
The 1989 plan was a good one and it was observed and accepted as almost a 'Gentleman's Agreement' style of arrangement between local and nation levels. That of course didn't work when the other party took office.
The plan was never ratified and it fell by the wayside after the election.
The implementation/ratification of this plan needs to be done before the election or it is surely to become a waste of time like the 1989 plan. The plan, if made law, will restrict local government from some of the activities we all complain about on this board. If it is still in the planning stages in 2012 after the next election you can be sure it will be used only as a guide line and only when it isn't profitable to the town board to do otherwise..
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Master Plan Consultation - 04/14/10 06:20 PM
Well said Elbert. Now it is time to put your fingers to work and send them your suggestions. As I stated last night at the meeting; I didn't see anything in the proposal that I disagree with but there were a good number of things that need to be added. I'm told that the draft can be view and downloaded at the ACCSD web site. I don't have time to verify that right now.
Posted By: Marty Re: Master Plan Consultation - 04/15/10 04:41 PM

Consultation on Revising Master Development Plan

On Tuesday, April 13, The Coastal Zone Management Authority and Institute (CZMAI) held a public consultation at the San Pedro Lions Den for the Master Development Plan of Ambergris Caye. Heading the consultation were Mr. Vincent Gillett of Coastal Zone Management, Mrs. Malayka Cardona - planner and Ms. Camila Cardona - Civil Engineer.

Ambergris Caye is growing rapidly with much development on the rise and proper planning is crucial to avoid negative impacts in the environment. With this in mind, the Master Plan for Ambergris Caye is being revised as it was initially written in 1989 but was never put into law. A number of issues were presented along with recommendations as to what and how things can be done to address these issues.

Issues such as general land uses, excessive building in the town core, illegal dredging, illegal pouching, protection of natural resources such as mangroves, barrier reef, addressing beach erosion and pollution were some of the issues addressed. Recommendations included: having proper guidelines to be followed, proper EIA's for dredging and to comply with the local building authority.

One of the major topics was the zoning plan for the island which covered development of residential, commercial, industrial, open spaces/conservation areas and special coordinated development areas including proper guidelines as to how many units per acre, as well as beds and measurements for building that should be followed.

Another area of concern was that of the Robles Point which is a conservation area for turtles to nest; the land is already privately owned. Development in the area would destroy these conservation areas and put in danger the lives of the turtles. The strongest recommendation for this area is the acquisition of the land by the public sector for conservation purposes.

San Pedro needs to take charge of its development for proper sustainable development to take place, which would include proper infrastructure such as safe roads, water & sewer and the proper maintenance and upgrade of the areas.

The success of the plan will only be possible if everyone works hand in hand to make sure these guidelines are being followed. San Pedro needs to take a stand for the betterment of proper development, proper school, and protection of the environment for the livelihood of all its residents. In order for this to take place the community needs to embrace this plan before hazardous and accumulated negative impact continues to get out of hand.

Groups involved in the Master Development Plan are the San Pedro Town Council, Ambergris Caye Local Building Authority, Ministry of Housing, Ministry of Tourism, Civil Aviation and Culture, Belize Tourism Board, BTIA, Belize Hotel Association, Belize Port Authority, Forest Department, Fisheries Department, Archeology Department, and Coastal Zone Management, to name a few.

The technical committee consists of Dr. Melody McField, Mady Morrison, Nadia Bood of the World Wildlife Fund - Belize, and Miguel Alamilla of the Hol Chan Trust Fund. The Steering committee consists of the San Pedro Town Council, Mr. Severo Guerrero, Mr. Fidel Ancona, Miguel Alamilla and the Ambergris Caye Citizens for Sustainable Development.

The objective of the consultation was to share, exchange and incorporate into the document ideas and views of the San Pedro community. After discussion with the proper authorities another consultation will take place. For more information about the Master Development Plan of Ambergris Caye you can email Mr. Vincent Gillett at [email protected]

AmbergrisToday
Posted By: Marty Re: Master Plan Consultation - 04/17/10 04:06 PM
//ambergriscaye.com/art/pdfs/RevisedMasterDevPlanAmbergrisCaye_09_02_10final.pdf is the latest version of the Master plan that was presented on Tuesday.
Posted By: Marty Re: Master Plan Consultation - 04/18/10 04:44 PM

Proposed Ambergris Caye Masterplan consultation held

Ambergris Caye is one of the fastest growing tourism destinations in the country and as a result, is challenged with the opportunities and advantages brought on by economic development. Too often, while development takes place in the interest of promoting productive tourism activities, there is failure to recognize the basic objectives of long term protection of the natural resources of the coastal zone. This is where the long awaited Ambergris Caye Master Plan comes in. On Tuesday, April 13th, 2010, members of the community joined Coastal Zone Management Authority and Institute (CZMAI) for a consultation on what will be the island's Master Plan. Held at the Lions Den, the consultation had the participation of Malaika Cardona, consultant and Camilla Cardona, the plan's civil engineer.

People in attendance were eager to hear the plans that will structure and zone development on the Caye. In our haste to compete we ignore the need to plan hence, the process becomes one of crisis management and shortsightedness due to the fact that consideration was not taken as to what the cumulative impacts of the development activities would have on the reef and other sensitive ecosystems. An original Master Plan was drafted in 1989 however it was never passed into law. This original draft has now been re-worked with the assistance of CZMAI, as well as other key stakeholders which included the San Pedro Town Council, the Ambergris Caye Local Building Authority, marine expert Dr. Melanie McField, World Wildlife Fund's Nadia Bood and Hol Chan Marine Reserve manager Miguel Alamilla. This Master Plan is intended to be used as a regulatory and vision document both by the public and private interests to carry out development in the proper place and direct it away from those sections of the community that are ecologically sensitive and should remain undisturbed in their natural state.

During the meeting, issues which were found to be affecting Ambergris Caye were discussed. Among those were rapid large scale, unsustainable development without the proper management and monitoring mechanisms in place to mitigate negative environmental impacts, excessive building density within the Town core, excessive and illegal dredging and excessive human activity within the boundaries of the Bachalar Chico Marine Reserve.

During her presentation, Malaika Cardona offered a few recommendations such as to manage growth in a manner that is consistent with the desires of the residents by consolidating the zoning and land utilization and subdivision act to simplify the application and review process and eliminate the possibility of incompatibility between two laws. She also proposed the incorporation of flexible zoning regulations which will direct specific types of development to set sites with particular developmental codes. Land use in the town center must be maintained in accordance to the master plan, ensuring that any expansions or construction done within the town core abide by the legal boundaries set forth by the Central Building Authority in pursuant to the Belize Building Act. All necessary infrastructure must be provided, and frequent inspection visits to the proposed development sites must be made to ensure that they are adhering to what has been approved. Penalties must be implemented in case of mis-management of the Bacalar Chico Marine Reserve, especially when there is failure to adhere to development procedures set forth by the Ministry of Natural Resources and the Department of the Environment.

Camilla Cardona went on to explain the zoning of the island and what will in essence be incorporated into the town's Master Plan. The Land Use zones are as follows:

*Residential: - areas of residential and all other purposes directly related with residential areas including schools, public space small professional offices, home industries, place of worship, playing areas, social facilities and small scale local shops. It includes hotels, apartments, buildings, vacation homes, guesthouses, motels, etc.

*Commercial: - includes stores, offices, banks, insurance broker, restaurants, hotels, bars, and repair shops. It also includes residential use, which might be found above shops or with commercial uses.

*Industrial: - includes areas for manufacturing, and land for warehousing, Storage, building contracting, port facilities, trucking and distribution.

*Open spaces/Conservation areas: - areas designated for conservation purposes, areas to be left in its natural state, sixty-six feet (66') strip along the coast to be kept for public use of all shorelines; parks and public recreational space.

*Special Coordinated Development Areas: - are areas that would be comprehensively planned in partnership between the owners and the planning authorities given their highly ecologically sensitive nature.

A breakdown of the zones can also be found on the Master Plan but briefly, Residential is being divided into four (4) categories - R1, R2, R3, and R4 with R1 being the lowest density residential area. In the R1 zone, site coverage will not exceed 30% with the net density not exceeding one dwelling per acre and the maximum number of lots per acres will be one. R2's site coverage will not exceed 35% and not exceeding a net density of four dwellings per acre. R3 is the medium density residential and will have a site coverage of 40% and not exceeding eight dwellings per acre while R4, being the high density residential, will have a site coverage of 60% and not exceeding twelve dwellings per acre. All residential zones include individual setbacks and building types and heights.

When it comes to Commercial Zoning, the Master Plan makes provision for two types: Town Core/Central Business District and General Commercial. Within the Town Core/Central Business District there lie many specifications and among them are: that the building heights not exceed three stories or 38 feet and that parking space should be provided as 1 per every 250 square feet of floor space with the same specifications going for the General Commercial Zone.

The Open spaces and Conservation Areas applies to areas designated for conservation purposes, areas to be left in its natural state, sixty-six feet (66') strip along the coast to be kept for public use of all shorelines; and it applies to parks and public recreational space. Cardona explained that the entire beach from Robles Point north is a known nesting site for three species of turtles, two of which are endangered. This is the only point along the coast at which the reef is a national resource, which plays a critical role not only in fisheries, but also via the protection it provides for the coast, and nourishment to beach areas, and as such its integrity should be the subject of aggressive protection. The Master Plan makes the recommendations that since the area in question is privately owned, that all possibility for further subdivision should be eliminated and that the area should be zoned as R1; the lowest permitted density, prohibit pier construction and that consideration should be given to its acquisition by the public sector for conservation purposes.

After the presentation, the consultation held a question and answer session where members of the community voiced their concerns. Some strongly suggested that the document be legalized (which it will once it has been legally processed) so as to cement the regulations which will guide development on the island. Other concerns included: who will enforce the rules and regulations? If the Minister would have the final say, as far as development goes, when it relates to approving certain structures? And, what will happen to the controversial developments already being constructed? How about transparency?

According to Vincent Gillett of CZMAI, who lead the presentation explained that the Master Plan is available for viewing and it is highly recommended in order to understand the entire plan. Kindly email Gillett at [email protected] to get your copy. Recommendations are being accepted and Gillett explained that that is the reasoning behind the consultation, to get the feedback from the community. It is believed that once the Master Plan has been re-drafted following the implementations of the recommendations, the final Master Plan should be legalized by September.

San Pedro Sun

Posted By: Keller Re: Master Plan Consultation - 04/18/10 05:22 PM
Are there currently any maps of zones for Residential,Commercial, Industrial and open spaces?
Posted By: elbert Re: Master Plan Consultation - 04/18/10 05:24 PM
Marty put them as hyper links on the first post on this thread.
Posted By: Keller Re: Master Plan Consultation - 04/18/10 05:46 PM
commercial? industrial? The northern road network plan is interesting.
Posted By: Marty Re: Master Plan Consultation - 04/21/10 02:48 PM
Letter to the Editor from Mike Campbell

The recent meeting outlining the proposed new master plan is worthy of comment as it affects us all. I have compared the old and the new and wish to share what I have found as well as register my comments..

For those that do not know for many years the existing master plan last revised in
1992 has been accepted by the Authority and was used as a guideline in
all building permits for many years. I do not know if that is still the case
or if it has been completely abandoned.

The scope of the new document is very limited and not nearly as
specific as the document it is to replace. The Island faces three main
problems, traffic, trash and crime. These are all, especially the first two,
the result of development and must be addressed in any effective development
master plan.

Even though the new plan touts ecological concerns and raises many
valid issues including dredging, it does not follow through in its
recommendations . Specifically both R-3 and R-4 will now be allowed more
lots per acre than under the existing plan. This can only cause more traffic
problems and further stress our infrastructure.

Along the same lines North Ambergris Caye has long been recognized as an
ecological gold mine with its proximity to the reef and diversity of
wildlife. The existing plan recognizes this and all the north coast is zoned
R-1 and R-2 and is mostly SCDA's including the Conservation areas of Mexico
Rocks and Rocky Point. The proposed new plan will zone the entire north
coast R-3 and R-4, the same as all the residential areas of San Pedro Town
with the exception of the Bacalar Chico Reserve. North Ambergris Caye as you
may know does not even have a road nor utilities except for electricity. The
idea of allowing that much development on the exceptionally fragile coast of
North Ambergris Caye is short sighted at best and is an ecological 180
degree turn.

It is disturbing that these facts were not made public at the meeting so
the residents of San Pedro could be properly informed so they could make a
considered decision based on the facts of the plan. I have not spoken to one
person who is aware of this proposed zoning change for North Ambergris Caye
or understands that they are proposing even higher density in most of San
Pedro Town proper. Everyone has been led to believe that we are zoning for
less density not more.

I also challenge the scientific accuracy of the contention that our
piers cause beach erosion and are detrimental to marine life. I have
researched and can find no scientific support for this claim and it should
be omitted. Piers in San Pedro have more political significance than
ecological significance.

The proposed new plan recommends developing light manufacturing in San
Pedro. Calling upon my years of experience as an elected member of the Board
of Directors of the CFZMA (Commercial Free Zone Management Agency) I take
issue with this. San Pedro is not a suitable venue for manufacturing for a
variety of reasons but is a suitable location for various ecologically sound
aquaculture related industries as is identified in the existing plan but is
omitted in the proposed new plan.

There is mention of solid waste disposal and recycling project but no
mention of waste collection, enhancing water supply and sewage treatment
which are usually left to the last in our haste to develop. There is also no
reference to or quantification of the need for Police and medical services
for the proposed increase in overall density on the Island. Our road and
traffic situation has not been dealt with at all only described to some
extent.

One of the main problems with the existing plan is that compliance
through the years has been not universally required. Any Master Plan must
require by law that the Authorities follow it and do not grant variances
except in the most pressing and extreme cases. If the Master Plan is correct
there will be no need for variances. Being the Authority should not exempt
you from the law, it should make it encumbant on you to obey the law to the
letter.

Many developers choose San Pedro and Belize because they believe,
rightfully that they can get around various environmental and other
regulations by giving much needed contributions to our government on
different levels be it trucks for the police or free dredging for the town
board. I believe we are making it impossible for developers who wish to do
an environmentally correct job to compete as it is definitely more expensive
to construct an enviromentally correct development. As we are maturing we
must look closely at what we are doing. We may find that it is a time for
change. Our Master Plan should help us to do this.

San Pedro is unique in the world. Our proximity to the reef and the
wilderness of North Ambergris Caye are what makes us unique. Both are very
fragile and must be protected for future generations to enjoy and profit
from. San Pedro should be the world's leader in ecologically sound and
responsible development but it is not. In my opinion we deserve much better
for ourselves and children and sould not accept a master plan that is
business as usual. This document is so vague as to not be suitable for a
Law. We must require better.

Sincerely, Mike Campbell
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Master Plan Consultation - 04/21/10 04:24 PM

Thanks Mike - much food for thought.
Posted By: elbert Re: Master Plan Consultation - 04/21/10 06:45 PM
The presentation at the Lions Den was a First Draft presentation with an invitation for input from the public and these observations/suggestions as Mike has made here are exactly what CZM is asking for.....more please!
Posted By: tcoats Re: Master Plan Consultation - 04/21/10 11:14 PM
Wow, Mike. I can only imagine the time it took you to go through the existing plan and the new plan so thoroughly and also to research the various points of contention. Thank you. I hope people will take heed.
Posted By: Marty Re: Master Plan Consultation - 04/26/10 05:22 PM
Response to Mr. Gillett from Mike Campbell:

Dear Mr. Gillett,

With the encouragement of various other townsfolk I have delved a bit deeper into this critical issue. I have found out that for the most part Master Plan of 1988 Revised 1992 has been used by the Authority and is currently being used by the Authority to establish setbacks and densities and general zoning in San Pedro. Many other provisions of the plan have been made into law including our present traffic plan of one way streets. The Plan was respected and used to judge the merits of permit applicants. This continued until various large projects requested permits contrary to the Master Plan. In all cases these projects were in environmentally sensitive areas and were objected to strongly by the people of San Pedro. The projects in consideration are Reef Village, Sugar Caye Development and South Beach. Blue Reef was built in a designated Conservation Zone (4) requiring Low Low Density. Sugar Caye is built on seabed with mangrove described as Non Development Land. South Beach is to be built upon the 500' designated Hol Chan Buffer Zone as well as Non Development Land.

Please understand that all of San Pedro is very pro-development but most of us realize there are very real environmental issues to deal with in order to not foul our own nest so to speak. As to why the Authority chose to ignore the Master Plan for some and treat is as law for others is the subject of much speculation in the community. Your draft master plan refers repeatedly to ecological issues and the needed to deal with them. It also rightfully declares San Pedro as over crowded. However in the same breath you issue maps that would indicted the intention to convert all conservation areas as well as the entire coast to R-3 and R-4 zoning. Your text and your maps present diametrically opposed positions.

There is no calculation as to what increase in population those zoning changes represent nor guidance as to public services required or recommendations as to how to meet those needs.
Of further interest is that new zoning maps change the zoning of the above mentioned properties so that these developments will now be permissible where before they were prohibited by the Master Plan. Given the over all lack of detail, errors of fact, and other inadequacies which I will address in a separate letter, it would seem that the primary purpose of this new document is to legalize the decisions that were made concerning Reef Village, Sugar Caye and South Beach projects.

Although the A.C.C.S.D. and the S.P.B.A. are listed as participants none of the members seem to be aware of these proposed zoning changes. They have all been told that we do not have a master plan and we must act on this one.

San Pedro is at a crossroads. We must decide whether we are going to develop in an environmentally sensitive fashion doing our utmost to conserve the reef and natural environment that supports us all or develop as Cancun and Play Del Carmen did promoting high density and accepting environmental degradation.The old Master Plan represents the environmental development proponents and your proposed plan represents the Cancun type development programme. The existing plan projected only to 2005 and needs to be updated but not in a way that leads to environmental degradation.

In order to avoid some of the problems of the past a master plan must be mandatory under the law. The past problems ALL arise from the Authority not following the Master Plan. San Pedranos know what is best for San Pedro. Any meaningful master plan committee will be made up primarily of San Pedranos with technical assistance from the various Ministries.

Sincerely, Mike Campbell
Posted By: Peter Jones Re: Master Plan Consultation - 04/26/10 05:29 PM
That says it all really. We already have a Master Plan, albeit it needs updating. The problem is not the absence of such a plan, but unwillingness to observe it. How will the creation of a replacement Master Plan change that?
Posted By: elbert Re: Master Plan Consultation - 04/26/10 06:22 PM
The goal is to have this plan ratified this year the update was necessary.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board