AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: SimonB Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/15/11 10:42 PM
Is this REALLY what this country wants or needs?

http://www.spiritwindbelize.com/hunting_adventures.htm

Please contact the following entities and let them know how you feel.

Please contact the BTB at:
[email protected]

The Forestry Department at:
[email protected]

The Minister of Natural Resources at:
[email protected]

The BTIA at:
[email protected]

Posted By: elbert Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/15/11 11:02 PM
Got to be a Joke!
"as in Days Gone By... Before the Tourist Crowds, when Great Sportsmen fearlessly explored the unspoiled wonders of this Tropical Paradise."
Nothing more fearful than a Red Brocket Deer!

Posted By: SP Daily Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/15/11 11:07 PM
the deer here on the caye are about the size of a chihuahua!
Posted By: SimonB Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/15/11 11:09 PM
Serious enough that the BTB are looking into it. I have contacted the Ministry of Natural Resources and BTIA to give my opinion. Please take a few minutes to do the same.
Posted By: elbert Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/15/11 11:29 PM
I copied the link to all.
Serious ass-holes!
Hard to believe these guys would get away with this for a min.
Could you figure out the name of the resort?
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/15/11 11:37 PM
I tried to find the name of the "owner" but no luck....
Posted By: swanno Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/15/11 11:37 PM
Elbert
This is from their web site
Maya Kingdom Adventures and Belize Jungle Lodge is located in the Jungle Forest of Northern Belize, on the entrance road to the Altun Ha Mayan Ruins; just 20 Miles from the International Airport, and only 32 miles north of Belize City. It is easily accessible by Taxi and regular (daily) Bus Service.

Colin
Posted By: elbert Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/15/11 11:46 PM
Same folks
http://spearfishbelize.com/
http://www.blogger.com/profile/13140830269576750652
Near Maskall Village??
could this be the old 'Pretty See 'Ranch??
Blog says 'Spirit Wind Resort'
Posted By: collyk Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/15/11 11:53 PM
Here's a whole thread about this issue on another message board.

http://www.belizeforum.com/belize/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=195854

Oh and if you're wondering...here is an outline of the hunts available and the costs!

Belize Hunting ~ Fishing Packages

Ocellated Turkey, Warrie Boar and Deer Hunt:
Five (5) Days/Nights, Professional Guide Service, Ground Transportation and four (4) days (your choice by season) Ocellated Turkey, Warrie Boar, Tropical Whitetail or Brocket Deer Hunting in the Maya Mountains, Pine Ridge and Savannas of Stann Creek, Orange Walk and Belize District.
*One Species Hunt* $2,500 Per Person

Ocellated Turkey, Warrie Boar & Deer "Cast & Blast":
Seven (7) Days/Nights including Professional Guide Service, Ground and Water Transportation with three (3) days Hunting (your choice by season) Ocellated Turkey, Warrie Boar, Tropical Whitetail or Brocket Deer PLUS three (3) Days Fishing the Barrier Reef and Flats for Tarpon, Bonefish, Permit, Barracuda, Snapper, Grouper, and more.
*One Species Hunt* $3,500 Per Person
Five (5) Day "Cast & Blast": Three (3) Days Hunting PLUS One (1) day Fishing..................$2,500 Per Person

Warrie & Deer "Safari:
Seven (7) Days/Nights, Ground Transportation, Professional Guide Service and Six (6) Days Hunting and/or your choice of Warrie Boar, Tropical Whitetail or Red Brocket Deer in the Maya Mountains, Pine Ridge and Savannas Belize.
*Two Species Hunt* $3,500 Per Person

Jungle Grand Slam:
Executive Airport Pick-up, Ten (10) Days/Nights, Ground Transportation, Professional Guide Service, Scheduled Meals and Nine (9) Days Hunting Warrie Boar, Tropical Whitetail and Red Brocket Deer, in the Maya Mountains, Pine Ridge and Savannas of Belize. *Three Species Hunt* $5,000 Per Person

Water Buffalo:
Executive Pick-up, Five (5) Days/Nights. Professional Guide Service, Scheduled Meals and Four (4) Days Hunting Water buffalo in the Jungles and Savannas of Belize.
*Special Hunt*
Hunt Fee �������.�$3,000 Per Person
Trophy Fee for Kill*��$2,500 Per Person (refunded/no kill)
*Shot Animal Considered Killed*

Jungle Buffalo Super Slam:
Executive Pick-up, 13 Days/Nights, Professional Guide Service, Scheduled Meals and 12 Days Hunting for Tropical Whitetail Deer, Red Brocket Deer, White-lipped Peccary, and Water Buffalo in the Jungles and Savannas of Belize.
*Special Hunt*
Hunt Fee..........................$6,500 Per Person
Buffalo Trophy Fee..............$2,500 (refunded/no kill)
Total Jungle Hunt Package: $9,000
Posted By: swanno Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/16/11 12:02 AM
Listed Owners of Spiritwind Adventures in Port St Lucie Florida are David and Suzanne Hill
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/16/11 12:18 AM
Get a rope!
Posted By: SimonB Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/16/11 12:41 AM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=217784784930798&set=a.105059299536681.3402.100000978344832&type=1&theater#!/profile.php?id=100000978344832&sk=wall

Pictures and commentary on what they hunt.
Posted By: SFJeff Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/16/11 01:48 AM
Is hunting a water buffalo difficult? I mean not that I really want to regardless of how much effort it does/does not take. It just seems it'd be rather anticlimactic event, even for an avid hunter. "There it is... ok... done shot it..."
Posted By: bywarren Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/16/11 02:01 PM
I preface my remarks by saying that I hunt, am a hunting guide and shooting instructor. Having said that, this type of hunting is not something I would care to participate in. However, just because it is something one does not choose to partake in, does not necessarily mean it should not be allowed. Unless it is damaging to the environment, the species is endangered or reasons other than you or I just don't like it, people should be allowed to partake if they choose. Many countries, numerous in Africa, New Zealand, Argentina, Mexico, Nicaragua, Honduras and others, generate sufficient tourist revenues from hunting. Belize is dependant on tourism. I have many friends who are avid fly fishermen and look with disdain on people who put bait on a hook to catch fish, but they do not suggest all fishing other than fly fishing should be banned.
If you oppose an activity, oppose it for reasons other than you just don't like it.
Posted By: elbert Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/16/11 02:36 PM
I like my friend Normans comment about hunting,'If I'm going to shoot something ,there are a lot of people that need it more than the animals.'
Hunting is just one of those things we will have to accept but hunting in Belize and tourist shooting our wildlife, nope!
These people are dreaming if they think they will get away with this.
Posted By: bywarren Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/16/11 03:07 PM
OK, just to further an interesting debate, Belizeans hunt every day. What is wrong with a tourist hunting? A diver comes and spends $25 staying at Pedro's, a couple hundred to dive the blue hole and $10 eating at the park. A hunter comes and spends $9000 for the "Jungle Grand Slam". I wish more efforts were spent correcting all the inhumanities to humans in this world than the efforts to keep me from eating my fried chicken, pigtails in my beans and a steak every now and then, even if it comes from a deer or buffalo.
If you are going to be critical start with all the Belizeans who have so many pigs running around without their tails, or the three legged cows due to cow foot soup. smile

PS: FYI, there was hunting jaguars in Belize long before they became protected and this buffalo hunting has been going on off and on long before Belize was called Belize.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/16/11 03:20 PM
Belizeans hunt every day. Yes, many illegally and the Ministry of Natural Resources is trying to put a stop to it as many species are in serious decline. If it were just Water Buffalo no big deal as they are farm raised but this operation is portraying Belize as a place where you can go shoot whatever you want as much as you want. Curassow and Ocellated Turkeys are in serious decline, Birders spend huge amounts of money in Belize usually in areas where jobs are scarce. Kill of the birds, kill off the Birders. Most mainland tourists come to see the wildlife not kill it; one hunt operation can do a lot of damage and can negatively impact the lives of many Belizeans.

I have no problem with hunting in general unless it's just for the kill. If it's done with respect, for food and doesn't impact the environmental balance no problem with me. Ontario has an overpopulation of Whitetail and I find them quite tasty.
Posted By: bywarren Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/16/11 03:30 PM
Excellent points, Simon. Jaguar hunting was stopped when they became endangered. If credible evidence exists that any species is endangered, then they should be protected. But I have yet heard a substantive arguement other than some people just don't like it.

PS: I want to make one other point. In any sport or activity, there can be some who's ethics or means do not add to the credibility of that endeavor. But, that does not give reason to opposing the sport or activity based on those actions alone.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/16/11 10:10 PM
Belize has created a tourist product and a "brand".
It is precious. Long ago tourism in Belize included killing animals for sport. It The economics of tourism improved enormously when the gun-hunting stopped and the eco-tourism / shoot-with-a-camera program kicked in.

It's just a bloody bad idea to go backwards.

From a personal point of view, I get along fine with meat-eaters but people who find killing actually fun give me the willies.

Posted By: SP Daily Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/16/11 10:30 PM
Next we'll have gun racks on golf carts....
Posted By: bywarren Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/16/11 11:15 PM
I don't find a cause and effect relationship in the stopping of hunting and the increase in eco-tourism. Jaguar hunting was stopped but buffalo hunting has been going on, off and on, for decades in Belize. If there is a cause and effect relationship between the two, then how is it that Austalia has a booming tourist industry that includes both the attraction of the Great Barrier Reef and hunting of Asiatic Water Buffalo? You can also compare the photo safaris in Africa with the hunting safaris. I don't see where the hunting safaris have a negative impact on the other tourist activities. Once again, the only argument I see here is that some of you just don't like it.
Posted By: JdeVerteuil Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/17/11 08:06 AM
If you dont want to hunt then do not go hunting.

Hunting in BZ for the prices they are asking will probably not do much as far as increasing tourism or decreasing the population of native species.

As far as hunting animals that are endangered BZ needs to make sure that this or any other hunter does not kill something on the endangered species list.

Hunters are very good stewards if the environment. Ducks Unlimited in the US has created more waterfowl habitat than any government or animal rights group combined. This has also increased waterfowl populations and increased a better understanding of migratory habits.

Due to a decrease in predators since whitey showed up in the Americas the hunter has had to step in and become the apex predator. By the way we are not really that good at it.

I hunt and only kill what I need to consume and no more. If I have extra I will give to family and friends or those in need. This includes the numerous fish I catch over the year as well.

I agree with most of you in that BZ needs to regulate the hunting in the country so it does not 1) deter from the profitable ecotourism tourism 2) no endangered species are harmed 3) it funds further habitat for the population growth of native species.

sorry about the rant
Posted By: Katie Valk Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/17/11 04:29 PM
Nearly all creatures in Belize are stressed for survival, what with human encroachment in their habitat, on both land and sea. I have seen these water buffalos and liken hunting them to shooting at road signs-neither move much.
Posted By: ckocian Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/17/11 04:40 PM
Or possibly to shooting a dairy cow. It appears as if this outfitter is trying to come up with a theme similar to taking trophy animals in Africa. Both are obscene IMHO.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/17/11 04:43 PM
What about the gun laws - doubtful there is a "temporary" gun license for visitors ......

Posted By: SimonB Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/17/11 05:24 PM
According to a post on Facebook the BTB investigated, found out that they didn't have a Hotel License or a Tour License and have shut them down.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/17/11 05:39 PM
Good work BTB.

Posted By: elbert Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/17/11 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by SimonB
According to a post on Facebook the BTB investigated, found out that they didn't have a Hotel License or a Tour License and have shut them down.

what link simon?
Posted By: SimonB Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/17/11 06:45 PM
No link, posted on someone's profile.
Posted By: ckocian Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/17/11 07:47 PM
Comments can be found on the BTB Facebook page. You have to register with FB to have access to the page.
Posted By: ColdwellBankerSP Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/22/11 08:14 PM
It's hard enough to run a normal resort, no less a resort that has to purchase guns and ammo. I would think most folks would go to our neighboring countries where there are a ton of guns and much cheaper.

If they do hunt here for tourism, they should have to make their ow weapon like the Maya if they consider themselves sportsman!

Chris
Posted By: bywarren Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/22/11 08:31 PM
From the add it looks like they would attract people more like real estate agents than sportsmen. grin
Posted By: ColdwellBankerSP Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/22/11 09:16 PM
Snipers!
Posted By: Cooper Re: Hunting Adventures in Belize - 07/30/11 04:23 AM
Sounds like this could have been a huge scam. Taking deposits from just a few folks for reservations down the road could have made these folks some serious money. Just like pre-selling condos that never get built. Especially if they had no permits. Guns. Etc.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board