AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: BrusselSprout Crime: So many questions! - 05/13/12 01:15 PM
Hi guys...Through my blog, I get maybe 10-15 questions a day about general issues...restaurants, hotels, activities, etc. But the majority over the past few weeks are about crime. This McAfee situation is adding even more to my question list.

My usual answer is to acknowledge that it is becoming more of an issue but as long as you are smart, safe and listen to what your hotel tells you, it shouldn't be a problem.

Does anyone go into more detail? I certainly don't want to scare people off (I'm not scared off) but I don't want to sugar coat it too much.

How does everyone else answer this question? - Rebecca
Posted By: collyk Re: Crime: So many questions! - 05/13/12 01:51 PM
Crime, it happens, just like anywhere else. Be sensible. Don't flash expensive stuff. Don't hang around with dodgy people or invite anyone (even children) back to your place. Don't tell people too much about where you'll be and what you are doing. Don't leave anything valuable unattended and lock things that are meant to be locked. Don't walk the beach when it is dark and catch taxis late at night. Don't get wasted unless you have someone who isn't wasted to look after you.

It is strange that we have to share this advice as it seems pretty universal anyway.
Posted By: BrusselSprout Re: Crime: So many questions! - 05/13/12 02:13 PM
Don't hang out with dodgy people is rule #1. Guys selling you a CD in the park and remembering your name the next day are not your new best friends!
Posted By: shuffles Re: Crime: So many questions! - 05/13/12 05:30 PM
Good one.... we tell people that all the time, and have recently told our guests and our security guard that no one who is not registered at the hotel is allowed on the premises without prior authorization from the management. Some guests recently went out on the beach during the day and met up with Dodgy#1 and Dodgy#2. Later that day the Dodgy boys entered the yard. I asked if I could help them. They told me they had agreed to take the guests out fishing. (yeah right,.. I KNOW these guys)

Finally went and got the guests and explained to them that if they wanted to talk to the Dodgy boys, they would have to do it outside the property.

One thing we tell people is to NEVER tell anyone you meet where you are staying. Make up a place if you want. Our room keys do not have the name of the hotel on them for that very reason.

it's easy to be lulled into a false sense of security for some guests because the people truly ARE friendly. But if you are a visitor here, you don't know the Dodgys from the non-Dodgys.

Posted By: Mike Campbell Re: Crime: So many questions! - 05/13/12 05:41 PM
In San Pedro you need to take the same precautions you would in any other tourist destination. The crimes are the same and the solutions are the same as well. In San Pedro people feel so relaxed and safe that they almost think they are in another world and forget to take the same precautions they normally would where ever they go. Compared to most places we have very little crime on the Island and so each incident is important and receives public attention as it should. Common sense will keep you safe. Remember that where ever you go some people try to hustle tourists, even a place like Belize where everyone is so sincerely nice.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board