AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Police Go Old School with Beach Cruisers - 05/29/12 02:22 PM
And while the police department is taking a leap into the future with that hydraulic shears - they're also taking a step into the past with a new fleet of bicycles.

Over 30 Beach Cruisers - were donated by the ministry to the department.

If it seems retrograde, the officer commanding eastern division, Assistant commissioner Aragon told us - it's part of a wider plan:..

ACP Elodio Aragon, OC, Eastern Division
"Jules, you may think its low tech, but it's not. The bicycles will simply be used for our foot patrols to give them a little more mobility within specific areas. I believe that low tech will give us the opportunity to be not too fast or not too slow within certain areas and its going in between the foot patrols and the mobile patrols."

Jules Vasquez
"How about if I challenge you and I say that its useless, in six months all these bikes will be wrecked or stolen and you don't have them here and the plan will have gone array. How will you respond to that?"

ACP Elodio Aragon, OC, Eastern Division
"Jules, the police department has come a long way especially when it comes to how we handle our equipment. Yes, we always have equipment that needs to be replenish etc. but definitely having these 30 new bicycles will go a long way to meeting our objectives."

Channel 7

There are always a bunch of bicycles at the police station here in San Pedro, but I don't remember seeing a policeman on one in the last ten years..... carts and motor vehicles - yes. Walking - yes. Instead of "auctioning" off the bikes once every few years that have been confiscated, why don't some of the patrol people ride them?
A few years ago I inquired about buying one of the bikes stacked up outside. I was told they are all sent to a dealer in Belize City to be sold. I asked why not here. "Because someone might see their bike and claim it!" What a concept. I did not ask who the dealer was related to but we all saw the picture in the newspaper of the bikes loaded way higher than the cab of the truck carrying them.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board