AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Alexandra (of Mayan Secrets) has been inducted into the US Gymnastics Hall of Fame (last week).

It will be aired on NBC Sept 1 along with the US MENS NATIONAL
CHAMPIONSHIPS. here's some information off the US gymnastics website...

Alexandra Nicholson - Athlete
A two-time world champion in trampoline. Described as the greatest woman trampolinist in the history of the sport. Recently honored by the World Acrobatic Society. Was never defeated in any competition she entered. Held record for highest start value and degree of difficulty in competition for several years until improvements of the trampoline were enforced. Currently runs the Maruba Resort and
Jungle Spa in Belize.
http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/safety-and-education/congress/2002/hof02.html

Alexandra Nicholson
A two-time world champion in trampoline (1972, 1974), Nicholson was undefeated in the six years that she competed for coach Bob Bollinger of Trampoline Town USA. In addition to her World Championships success, Nicholson also won 12 national titles. She was the first woman in the world to ever compete a "Triffes", a forward triple somersault with a half twist. She remains the last U.S. trampolinist to have won a gold medal in international competition.

Nicholson's trampoline fame led her to guest performances at Radio City Music Hall, Madison Square Garden, the Mike Douglas Show, with the Harlem Globetrotters, at Buckingham Palace in London for Queen Elizabeth, in the movie "Billy Jack", and as the featured half-time entertainment at a Los Angeles Lakers basketball game. Upon the completion of her trampoline career, Nicholson attended UCLA, where she competed for both the gymnastics and track teams.

In 2001, Nicholson was honored with the title of "Acrobatic Legend" from the World Acrobatic Society. She was described as "The Greatest Woman Trampolinist" in the history of the sport. Nicholson currently resides in Belize, where she is the owner of Mayan Secrets, a business which promotes Belize through the manufacturing of skin and beauty products made from all natural ingredients found in the Belizean rainforests.

http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/news/2002/july26-02halloffame.html

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALEXANDRA! WHAT AN INCREDIBLE ATHLETE AS WELL AS PERSON!

Here's her website: http://MayanSecrets.com

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 08-22-2002).]
Amazing! I had no idea Alexandra was such an accomplished and famous gymnast! I guess the USA Gymnastics Hall of Fame must consider a trampolinist a gymnast or they wouldn't have honored her in their organization.

That is quite an accomplishment!

Kathy
Would like to congrats her on her achievments on this and for the country of Belize!!!!! Her and Marion have done wonders for the country and the knowledgement here in the states and world wide for the Country of Belize!!!!
You go girls!!!!

I LOVE THIS COUNTRY!!!!! YES I DO!!!!! C

[This message has been edited by rickcheri (edited 08-19-2002).]

[This message has been edited by rickcheri (edited 08-24-2002).]
Thanks for the info Marty. I have some friends that are former (elite) gymnasts and had the opportunity to meet one of their friends several years ago. He was also a world (or at least national) title holder. Back in those days (and probably well into the 90's) most people who jumped on the trampolines (competitively) were gymnasts. Congrats to Alexandra!!! [Linked Image]

Nate

[This message has been edited by CMNate (edited 08-20-2002).]
Cheri: for God's sake, you owe it to your sport, get on the phone ASAP and contact USA Gymnastics, Intenational Gymnastics Federation, International Olympic Committee and save them the further embarassment of continuing to have the trampoline event in their competitions. I would do it myself, but I think it needs to come from a former great gymnast and coach like you. They probably would just hang up on me, not even taking the time to tell me how stupid and uninformed they thought I was.

My personal opinion is, she is definately worth meeting. I am sure she would enjoy meeting you and exchanging autographs.

The History of Trampoline & Tumbling Gymnastics

Trampoline became a competitive event in 1936. From 1947 through 1964, trampolining was included as an event in gymnastics competitions by both the AAU and NCAA. The first trampoline World Championships were held in 1964, and trampoline was first recognized as a sport in its own right in the United States in 1967. Trampoline made its debut as an Olympic sport at the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney, Australia.

[This message has been edited by bywarren (edited 08-20-2002).]

[This message has been edited by bywarren (edited 08-20-2002).]
Congrats to Ms. Nicholson! What an honour to be inducted into any hall of fame! Well done! Too bad others can't see the merit.
LOL! [Linked Image]
I am under the impression that this honor was bestowed very recently. I trust they know what they are doing.

K
KC, you are right, they know what they are doing and talking about. Unlike some on this board.

I am going to have to take a break from this for awhile and get some quality time beating my head against one of my log walls. I can't believe some people say what they say here. I hope they are yanking chains and are not really that stupid. This could be a new low.

And, if it is not stupidity, then I think it shows a lack of respect for the person awarded, the sport and USA Gymnastics.

[This message has been edited by bywarren (edited 08-21-2002).]
By
I have been pondering a post on my verandah for a successful suicide attempt after reading this thread. I agree with you and that is even more frightening.
Jim: forget the suicide attempt. Now that you are starting to see things my way, life will have a whole new meaning. By, for better.
Jeez, this is bad. Even I agree with you on this one!
LOL...It's probably best if I don't say anything...LOL

Cheri,
Maybe it was a conspiracy...LOL
Your evil gym teacher deliberately forgot to tell you about trampolines so you would be in the dark about it?

It's possible...right?
I can not believe I am responding to this level of intellegence.

2000 Sydney Olympic Trampoline Results

Mens Gold Alexandra Maskalenko, Russia
Silver Ji Wallace, Australia
Bronze Mathew Turgeon, Canada

Womens Gold Irna Karavaeva, Russia
Silver Oxana Tsyhuleva, Ukraine
Bronze Karen Cockburn, Canada

You know Cheri, I had a tree fall down in my back yard last night. I know you did not see it, but I swear, honest to God, it really did happen.

How much deeper do you plan on digging?

[This message has been edited by bywarren (edited 08-22-2002).]
Susan: it is not "bad" it is great. Just think how good you are going to feel about yourself when you agree with me 100% of the time.

For the rest of you yet to "see by the light", Susan shows that anything is possible.
This is way too much fun, by far.

With all sincerity,
Congratulations go to Alexandra (of Mayan Secrets)
What a wonderful honor !
Hey now! What's all this arguing about! Here I come back from a wonderful trip only to find my wonderfully insightful advisors figting with each other! Maybe this link will help. . .
http://www.olympic.org/uk/sports/programme/index_uk.asp?SportCode=GY

BTW-Many assume all sports are televised during the olympics. This is not true. Badminton and Handball are both olympic events, but are not big draws like skating and track so are not televised. I don't think it would even be possible to televise all the events.

[This message has been edited by ellydognme (edited 08-22-2002).]

[This message has been edited by ellydognme (edited 08-22-2002).]
I can't believe that Cheri hasn't responded! What could be the problem? Too many facts! Anybody know where I can get one of those log walls that you beat your head against? Maybe Rick will save the day! LOL. More Trampoline in the Olympics!! Thank God for evil gym teachers!
GO,WARREN,GO
RUN ,FOREST,RUN
JUMP,CHERI,JUMP

Maybe someone fell off the balance beam when they were coaching and hit their head.

Keep up the good work Warren.Nice to have everyone on your side for a change.

CONGRATES TO ALEXANDRA!!!!!

[This message has been edited by SEAWINGS (edited 08-22-2002).]
Welcome back ellydognme!
Thanks for the post. I think people also forget that the olympics does not define a sport.
Sorry, I didn't have a chance to meet up with you. You'll have to post a trip report and let us know how things went.

Nate
http://www.infoplease.com/spot/ol-trampoline.html

Sorry, Cheri -- Trampoline was at the 2000 olympics. They don't televise every competition, especially if the U.S. doesn't have a participant.

Too bad they didn't have Alexandra competing! Which was really the whole point of this thread -- to congratulate a great athlete who has been honored by her sport.

Kathy
Just wanted to let you "boarders" know I am going to be absent for a short while. I am having an "its that time of the month, full moon" dinner party that will keep me busy in the kitchen for a while. I am inviting all my friends. It will be a HUGH party. Two of us and a hugh amount of food. But, don't think that because Jim and Susan agreed with me on one point, that I am lulled into a false sense of security thinking that there is not alot of work left to be done. There are still the likes of ChrisW and Cheri lurking out there. Now, ChrisW showed that he has the intelegence. He just needs some enlightenment and direction. Cheri on the other hand, well, we will need to pray for Divine Intervetnion or wait for the science of brain transplantation to improve.

By, until later.
I'm with Jim and bywarren. incredible.

ABOUT

The Fédération Internationale de Gymnastique (FIG) was formed on 23 July 1881 when representatives of the gymnastics associations of Belgium, France and the Netherlands met in Liège. As a governing body it is held in high esteem by both its member federations and gymnastics clubs throughout five continents. In 1897, seventeen national associations joined together to form the basis of the European Gymnastics Federation. However, when the USA was admitted in 1921, the Committee changed its name to the Fédération Internationale de Gymnastique or FIG, as it is known today.

FIG comprises three Olympic disciplines: artistic, rhythmic and trampoline.

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 08-22-2002).]
ByWarren,
Please give Alexandra our congrads!! I think it's great to hear the accomplishments of our "family" here on the board...
Hope to see you soon.
Vicki and Butch
Caribe Island Resort
Kayla---Welcome back!!!!! Hope (And I have no doubt) you had a wonderful trip.... Can't wait for your trip report....
Talk later...John
I'm not a REAL gymnast (I know a few). I've been a wannabe at times. Like many sports, gymnastics has changed with time. It is very different now than it was say 20 years ago.
I found an interesting paragraph on the web:

Trampoline and Tumbling History
Trampoline and tumbling can be traced to archaeological drawings in ancient China, Egypt and Persia. Over the years, a number of methods have been devised to allow man to gain time in the air and perform a variety of skills. The trampoline is one of these methods. Trampoline was not actually a competitive event until after its invention by an American, George Nissen, as a portable unit in 1936. From 1947 through 1964, trampolining was included as an event in gymnastics competitions by both the AAU and NCAA.

Gymnastics is very political (like most sports). The trampoline is not part of the popular gymnastics competition now, but it use to be. Maybe it just wasn't as popular as the other 4 events, but it seems like the gymnasts of that time could compete on any apparatus.

Don't take it too personal, we just want to make sure Alexandra gets her credit (even though I don't even know her).

Nate
This is getting out of hand. What Marty posted as simply information on Alexandra Nicholson's induction into the USA Gymnastic Hall of fame has been turned, by Cheri, into a debate on whether the trampoline even exists.

Out of respect for the USA Gymnastic Hall of Fame, can you believe they are so ignorant as to call it "Gymnasitic" Hall of Fame, I would suggest we leave this thread to what it was intended, and start a new one on whether Cheri is actually brain dead or if she is capable of understanding what many of us are trying to tell her. REALLY!

I am busy in the kitchen, so I will leave it to someone else to figure out the new thread.

Cheri, as far as October goes, I will be there and would enjoy getting together with you for an intellectual conversation, I am assuming that is what you have in mind. Strike that. I use the word "mind" in the figurative sense. Maybe you would feel more comfortable talking with Piasano.

At any rate, I am still busy in the kitchen getting ready for my friends tomorrow. Strike that, Friend. He is only my friend because I think he comes from the same gene pool as Cheri. That's it, Cheri, were you conceived in Arkansas? I guess we can have a friendly conversation, if not an intellectual one. Looking forward to October!

by, until you wise up.
In the ealy 1800's the trampoline was not the same design as today, in fact, the trampoline was used as a surveillance mechanism. It was employed by using strong young men and an 'athletic' girl. The young men would hold onto a round piece of buffalo hide and toss the young athletic girl into the air near the wall of a city and she would relay the message back to a scribe who was standing nearby. The girl not only had to be physically able to make many jumps in a row, but had to be keen on interpreting the goings on inside the city walls, thus, she had to be intelligent.

Then, many years later, came the idea that would revolutionize the gymnasics world only to be demoted. The idea being that because it had once been used to snoop on people it should not be a recognized sport.
Toad Rocks! Personally I like girls in bikinis jumping on trampolines aka "The Man Show"

Being inducted to any hall of fame is pretty damn cool for whatever reason. Go Alexandra!!!
LOL
I'm still trying to figure out what a "HUGH party" is....and what a "HUGH amount of food" is...

Define HUGH....bywarren LOL [Linked Image]
OK, you keep asking for it. Let's leave Alexandra with her honor and give Cheri what she keeps whining for. Go to General Chat.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board