AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Today's Belize News: September 21, 2015 - 09/21/15 11:38 AM

Happy Independence Day!!!!

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Happy Independence Day to all Belizeans at home and abroad! Long live Belize!!
Official ceronies for the 34th Independence Day have kicked off

Belize Is Small Towns
No freeways, no skyscrapers! Belize is all about its local villages, towns and little cities with warm smiles! Belize is SMALL TOWNS!

Wolfe's Woofer: Bad Day at The Drugstore
At the drugstore there were three people ahead of me. The pharmacist who waited on us had a bandage on his forehead and he walked with a really bad limp. As I got in line the door burst open and an angry man walked in and shoved his way to the front. "What's going on?" the druggist asked him. "I got home this afternoon and found my wife crying. She said you insulted her on the phone about something she bought from you yesterday. Now I want an apology." "Let me explain," the druggist said. "My alarm clock didn't go off this morning. I was twenty minutes late leaving home so I didn't even get breakfast. I ran out to my golf cart and found one of the tires flat. Then I found that I had left my keys in the house and the door was locked. I had to break my front window to get back in."

Local Realtor Daniel Hartin Opens Sandy Point Real Estate Ltd.
Daniel Hartin, award winning Broker/Owner, is pleased and excited to announce the opening of Sandy Point Real Estate Ltd. Sandy Point Real Estate will be dedicated to representing and selling Belizean Cove, Coco Beach, Belizean Shores, Coral Bay Villas, Xtan Ha, as well as pre-construction projects underway such as Venezia del Caribe and Isla Tesoro. Daniel Hartin, with his continued success, saw the need to open up a real estate company to focus exclusively on Sandy Point Real Estate. Hartin, formerly with RE/MAX Southwind LLP, is now focusing his experience on building and growing Sandy Point Real Estate. His team of nine is dedicated exclusively to Sandy Point Resorts and welcomes all brokerages on the island to show Sandy Point Resorts real estate to potential clients.

Doctor Love
Dear Doctor Love, My marriage has had some hard times. I have been with my husband for eight years and we have been married for seven. We got along great while we were living together. Once we were married about a year the troubles began. He had several women that he was still contacting and he was still going out with his friends to the bars two or three times a week. I thought all of these things would stop once we got married. They have not got any worse but they have not got any better either. I have overlooked the going out with his friends but we have fought a lot over texts and phone calls he gets. He never admits anything unless he is caught red-handed. When he gets caught he promises that it will never happen again but it always does.

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Introduction to General Sales Tax (GST)
Beltraide Workshop Date: September 24th, 2015, 9am to 12p. The department of General Sales Tax (GST) is offering a workshop on Introduction to GST. This session will include: Registering for GST - application process, Voluntary registration information and the benefits of being a registered taxpayer. Completing GST returns - GST payment due dates, Information to submit Managing GST Obligation - Record keeping for GST, Tax invoices, Duplicate tax invoices and much more! LOCATION: BTEC Building (Innovation Room) ITVet compound. Time: 9am to 12pm

Verdes Host Panama
The Verdes host the team from San Francisco, Panama, Tuesday, in Belmopan. Go Verdes!

Benque Football Stadium Starts
They've started on the new Benque Football Stadium. It'll be a world class stadium. "The ongoing development at the future FIFA Standards Football Field,everyday is history." More pictures.

BELIZE INDEPENDENCE IN 1981 & WE'VE COME A LONG WAY!
Remembering Prime Minister, George Cadle Price, and his quest and accomplishment for Belize's independence that was achieved in 1981. Here in Los Angeles his party the Peoples United Party (PUP) who were removed from power in 1984 by the Belizean people, had campaigned most passionately in the Belizean Diaspora, in the Los Angeles Belizean Community. The radio show, Belize Caribbean Pulse in 1989, hosted PM Price and his opposition party who later returned to power in 1989. Here on the show with him is Said Musa, Dr. Theodore Aranda, and Tom Greenwood. They were interviewed by host Nuri Muhammad . A legendary moment in history indeed.

A few of the many species of fish that inhabit Glover's Reef Marine Reserve contributing to functional biodiversity and fisheries livelihoods.
Clockwise from top left: Tiger Grouper; Nassau Grouper; Spanish Hogfish; Gray Angelfish; Queen Angelfish; French Angelfish; and Stoplight Parrotfish (banned from extraction).

The Reporter

Police suspect arson involved in fire that guts bar
San Ignacio are looking for two residents of Santa Elena Town for questioning following a fire that totally destroyed a bar and all its contents on Friday morning. Police say that 40 year-old Brenda Nicholas, the owner of Matras Bar in Billy White Village, Cayo, reported to them that she lockes up the establishment at midnight on Friday and everything was in tact. She said that when she returned to the location at 6:00 a.m. Saturday she discovered that it had been destroyed by fire. The bar, together with its contents, including a pool table, stereo system, assorted drinks are valued at $32,000.

Pope Francis meets Fidel Castro after Havana mass
Pope Francis has met Cuba's former President, Fidel Castro, after celebrating mass in front of tens of thousands of people in Havana. The two men discussed world affairs and religion, in what the Vatican called an "informal and friendly" encounter. Before the meeting, Pope Francis gave a homily in which he urged Cubans to serve each other rather than ideology. It is the first visit by the Pope to the Communist-ruled island, on a trip that will later take him to the US. Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi described the meeting between Pope Francis and Fidel Castro, which took place at the former Cuban leader's home, as low-key. They exchanged books: Pope Francis gave Mr Castro three titles, including a book of sermons by Mr Castro's former teacher, while in return the Pope received Fidel and Religion, a collection of interviews with a Brazilian priest.

Two ambassadors to take part in Belize's Independence celebrations
Two ambassadors arrived in Belize in time to celebrate with us the 34th anniversary of our Independence. The two ambassadors, His Excellency David Izzo of France and His Excellency Roy Eriksson of Finland presented their credentials to the Governor General Sir Colville Young on Thursday, at the Belize House in Belmopan. The ambassadors expressed their honour to be invited to celebrate with us, as well as their hopes for strengthening friendship and cooperation between their countries and Belize. Ambassador Eriksson conveyed his government's hope to share knowledge with Belize in the areas of education and forestry, as our two nations share interests in those areas.

PUP rally in Corozal draws thousands; G-11 attend
The People's United Party's (PUP) Power to the People rally in the Corozal district on Saturday drew several thousand people. The rally, which started from Libertad Village to San Narciso, where speeches were held, included a motorcade that had over 125 vehicles and the standard bearers and supporters of the four constituencies in Corozal. The event also saw the attendance of all the menbers of the 'G-11′, which had over the past six weeks been boycotting party events. Two of the 31 standard bearers were missing, none of whom made up the G-11. Kareem Musa who is running in Caribbean Shores was reportedly travelling and Dr. Lesbia Guerra who is running in Cayo West has a death in her family.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Centenarian Belizean marks 103rd birthday in Brooklyn
Rhoda Isabella Cherrington, of Brooklyn, New York City, New York, U.S.A., marks her one hundred and third birthday this week, according to a profile in the New York Daily News. The last of 14 children born in Mullins River, Stann Creek District on September 23, 1912, she is old enough [�]

Amid speculation, PUP are ready for general elections
Tension continues to rise as political observers believe Prime Minister Dean Barrow may announce a dissolution of the House of Representatives during his Independence Day address on September 21. Predictions are being made for elections to be called as early as November, but the Prime Minister has limited [�]

Belize: The State of the Nation 2015
"Romans, countrymen, and lovers! hear me for my cause, and be silent, that you may hear: believe me for mine honour, and have respect to mine honour, that you may believe: censure me in your wisdom, and awake your senses, that you may the better judge. If there [�]

MOH investigating multiple incidents at Western Regional; administrators to blame?
While an investigation is underway concerning multiple incidents reported recently at the Western Regional Hospital, in interviews with News 5 Minister of Health Pablo Marin has questioned whether administrators were properly doing their jobs. The public servants are talking among themselves, but not yet to anyone else. Marin [�]

Psychiatric evaluation to determine Keyren Tzib bail
Accused of the attempted murder of a co-worker in April, Coast Guard seaman Keyren Tzib now faces an additional charge of manslaughter for the death of common-law husband Thytis Blancaneaux in July, which happened as they were arguing at their residence in Lords' Bank, Belize District. Justice Herbert [�]

Blogs

Two New MUCH Needed Schools Coming to San Pedro, Belize
Living Tree Academy School. The website says it will be a primary and secondary school. "The goal of LTA is to help every child pursue education. This will enable them to maximize their ability by giving and serving to their family, community, country and the world. Our mission is: Giving access to educational opportunities worldwide. Living Tree Academy helps supply educational materials, scholarships, books, and uniforms for education in Belize as well as community service in the areas of medical and public works." We now only have one secondary school on the island - San Pedro High School� The other campus being readied on the island (in the VERY beginning stages) is the popular Sagebrush Church. They currently pack the house at the Theater just across the bring each Sunday�with what I hear is a positive, community minded, non-judgemental message. Though not religious, I DO want to attend a service. They have recently purchased a nice chunk of land just across the river. JUST after you pay your toll to go over the bridge north�look to your left. Right along the water�a seawall is already going in. I hear it will be a church and a school and more�

Requiem for a pair of sandals
Two weeks before Rose and I moved to Belize I was still in need of a pair of sandals. I'd always been more of a running shoes kind of guy. Never sandals. Out on the road nearly every day, I would grind a pair of running shoes down in a matter of a few months. Then they would become my regular walking shoes until the raggedness and odor were too much. At which point they would come to rest on the floor of my closet, sometimes for years. I'd also use them as hiking shoes, bicycling, water socks, dress shoes, work shoes and casual footwear. My feet were so happy in running shoes. Especially Sauconys. In a new pair of Sauconys I felt like I was flying. I felt like I could run forever. That feeling usually lasted no more than a month, and then the Sauconys would flatten out, become thin and hard, as if there were nothing between my feet and the road.

International Sourcesizz

Mayan temple holidays: Face to face with the lost civilisation
Dusk at Tikal in Guatemala is supposed to be a spiritual time. A sunset at any Mayan site is no small thing, and as we strolled across the lawns there was only the sublime serenity of a day's ending: red-lored parrots flapping home, ocellated turkeys browsing for one last meal, the Temple of the Great Jaguar turning a warm golden colour as our closest star did its thing. It was, therefore, much to the chagrin of my guide, Luis, when 20 or so local children began playing on a steep slope on the southern edge of the plaza. They were running to the top and, on reaching the walls of an old palace, collapsing in a fit of giggles and rolling down the hill. "It's funny," Luis said, smiling sadly, "but it's also a little disrespectful. This is a place of history and heritage." I understood, but didn't share, Luis's preoccupation. There was something quite lovely about the descendants of Mayans having fun in this ancestral square. An altar smoked with an offering. Folk music came from a far corner. Two men ate a snack. There were even a couple of Mexican Mormons gawping at the pyramids - the Latter Day Saints lot believe American Indians are descended from migrants from Israel.

A loyal friend, but never cross him: RICHARD KAY says Cameron must wonder why he made an enemy of Lord Ashcroft
When David Cameron arrives at the Tory conference in Manchester in two weeks it will be to the acclamation of a party faithful celebrating the first outright Conservative General Election victory for 23 years. There will be much schmoozing from the high command with the donors whose millions helped deliver that 12-seat Commons majority and condemn Labour to catastrophic defeat. One figure unlikely to be taking part, however, is Lord Ashcroft, the billionaire Tory who for so long bankrolled the party and laid the foundation for May's electoral success. As the one-time treasurer and deputy chairman, his contribution not just to Conservative coffers but also to modernising and transforming the party machine, which he set about with high energy and dedication, has been immense. But after years of unquestioning devotion to the Tory cause, fired by the ideals of Margaret Thatcher in the Eighties, he became disenchanted with Cameron's brand of Conservatism and increasingly detached from the Prime Minister's inner circle. For a man who has poured �8 million into the party, you might think his views demanded to be heard.

A financial guide to retiring abroad
Is it it your goal to spend your golden years living in a hut on the beach of a Caribbean island? Or do you dream of a second act running a vineyard in Tuscany? Retiring overseas can be both more enticing and and more affordable - depending on the locale - than retiring in the United States. But a smooth transition requires careful planning. "When you just begin thinking about it at a superficial infatuation level, it's a very exotic, romantic, sexy idea," says Kathleen Peddicord, publisher of Live and Invest Overseas, which publishes an annual ranking of the best places to retire overseas. "But the truth is that once you get into it, it's not easy." Not all of the lifestyle changes that come with moving overseas will be ideal. Retirees will want to research how the move could affect their cost of living, tax bill and health. Here are some of factors to think about before you sell your belongings and buy a one-way plane ticket:

Videos

• San Pedro Independence Day fireworks display!, 1/2min.

• San Pedro, Ambergris Caye brings in Belize's Independence Day!!!!, 10sec.

• CAS Trip To Belize, 6min. A group of our IB Students did some fantastic work at the Liberty Children's Home in Ladyville, Belize over the Summer. 1st-19th July 2015

• El Pescador Resort on Ambergris Caye, Belize, 5min.

• Belizean Music !!!!!RAS. DEMUS, BELIZE STING 2009, 4min. Belizean Artist Deemos Performing.. Live

• Ricky's Belize it or Not, 2min.

• Belize 2015, 4min. A little bit of our trip in Belize, Central America.

• Smooth Trunkfish Post larval Juvenile Lactophrys triqueter, Black Beauty Belize, 1min.

• Hand Cranked Ferry in Belize, Central America, 2min. Ever see a hand cranked ferry? Never knew they existed? watch this and see one in live action!

• Hotel Maya, Corozal Belize, 2.5min.

• Belize! Fun in the sun., 3min.

• Belize Independence Flags HD, 3min. Happy Belize 34th Independence Day!

• Belize kayaking and starfish, 13min. Starfish around the 8:00 mark.

• Belize Great Blue Hole Ocean documentaries, 70min.

• Orange Walk Belize Independence fireworks 2015, 2min. Ending of the Orange Walk Belize C. A. 2015 fireworks. Independence Day September 21st 2015.
  • © Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board