AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Today's Belize News: February 16, 2016 - 02/16/16 11:51 AM

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

For the Love of Lobster!
While many only observe February 14th as the day of love, here in Belize it also marks the closing of the Lobster Season. That's right, the ability to fish for or indulge in this delectable crustacean closes after Valentine's Day. The Spiny Lobster is sought out across Belize as one of the top sea-food platters, but in order to ensure generations to come can still enjoy this marine critter, the Belize Government, through the Fisheries Department implements a fishing season to allow our tasty lobsters to re-populate. The Spiny Lobster (Panulirus argus) open season runs from midnight of June 14th to midnight of February 14th. After the season closes, any person found in possession of lobsters will be prosecuted in accordance with 3(1)(b) of the Fisheries Regulations, Chapter 210 of the Subsidiary Laws of Belize Revised Edition 2000-2003. During this time, all lobster traps need to be removed from the water, and restaurants need to deplete their lobster inventory within a two week grace period. The four month closed season is prime spawning and breeding time for the Spiny Lobster. After hatching it takes up to three years for a lobster to reach full maturity. In Belize it is also illegal to catch berried lobster (with eggs) or undersized lobsters (if they are under 3.5 inches in the carapace length they are still considered juvenile) throughout the year. Penalties for breaking a lobster related law can result in a six month imprisonment or up to a $1,000 in fines.

CARICOM Heads to tackle key development issues at Belize Meeting
Advancing the regional response to the Zika threat will be among matters engaging CARICOM Heads of Government at their 27th Inter-Sessional meeting in Placencia, Belize, 16-17 February. The Heads are also expected to focus on measures to position the Region to benefit from the historic Paris Agreement on Climate Change, including access to climate finance. The Belize meeting comes a fortnight after the World Health Organisation declared Zika as a 'public health emergency of international concern'. The suspected Zika link to cases of microcephaly in parts of Latin America, with babies born with underdeveloped brains, has also heightened public concern about the virus. At least five CARICOM Member States have diagnosed cases of the Zika virus. The Caribbean Regional Public Health Agency (CARPHA), which has been providing testing and prevention and control guidance to Member States, is expected to help the Meeting determine the future actions in the Zik-V fight.

BA 1 project participants finally receive their grants
On Friday, February 5th, 34 women from San Pedro, Ambergris Caye finally received their long awaited grants to start or expand their businesses. After graduating in May of 2015 from a three week- training seminar designed for victims of domestic violence and human trafficking, the participants were to receive a monetary assistance in order to be more self-sufficient and independent. That assistance did not happen instantly as promised, which led to the belief by many of the participants that it would never materialize. After several inquiries from the participants, pleas through the media and couple of meetings, the women have finally received their grants. Now the town can look forward to a variety of new business ventures to begin. The official ceremony for the handover of funds took place shortly after 12:30PM at the SunBreeze Hotel conference room. Participants were treated to a reception while members of the Belize Training and Employment Centre, the International Organization for Migration and the Small Business Development Centre of Belize, briefed them on what they are expected to do with their business plans with the help of the funds. The participants received between $3,000 and $4,000 to assist them in starting their new businesses.

Decline in oil prices drastically affect PetroCaribe funds
With oil prices declining, the Venezuelan Government is preparing for an economic setback and possible humanitarian crisis. But this will not only affect Venezuela, as the decline in oil prices is having a global effect. Among those who continue to be affected either directly or indirectly by the decline of oil prices is Belize, who has being receiving substantial funds from the PetroCaribe Loan agreement with Venezuela. But with Venezuela's economy failing, Belize is already feeling the challenges as currently, only $15BZ million remain from the PetroCaribe funds. In Prime Minister of Belize's, Dean Barrow's New Year's address he indicated "with the dizzying fall in oil prices, we expect to get much less from these Venezuela loan funds than we did in 2015. And already 2015's intake was only half of 2014." The PetroCaribe loan agreement sees money being received under an arrangement which allows the Government of Belize (GOB) to defer half of the payments for fuel imported from Venezuela under a 25-year financing agreement and instead keep the portion of revenues from local fuel sales to finance its programs. The other half of the monies received have to be paid within 90 days. Throughout 2015, GOB was receiving up to $2US million monthly from PetroCaribe funds, but in the past months, that amount has substantially dropped to under $1US million.

Kent Gabourel wins Weekend Warriors' race against the clock
Kent "Bob" Gabourel of the Kulture Megabytes team won "race against the clock" with the best time of 25 minutes 45 seconds, when the Weekend Warriors Cycling Club held individual time trials over an 11.5-mile course on the Burrell Boom bypass road from the Data Pro junction with the Philip Goldson Highway to the Hattieville Cemetery on Sunday morning, February 7th. Gabourel won the A category, in which Daniel Cano and Warren Coye of the Santino's team ranked 2nd and 3rd respectively, clocking 25:52 and 26:55. Robert Mariano of the DigiCell 4G team was 4th in 27:09; Isaiah Willacey of the F.T.Williams team was 5th in 27:15; and Fitzgerald "Palas" Joseph was 6th in 27:18. Clarence Tesecum of the F.T. Williams team won the B category in 28:49; Ryan Willoughby of the SMART Zoom team was 2nd in 30:03; and John Burns of the DigCell 4G team was 3rd in 30:05. Santino "Chief" Castillo and Francis Cassasola of the Santino's team were 4th and 5th respectively in 30:22 and 30:32; and Albert Conorquie of the Sugar City United team was 6th in 30:39.

CARICOM Reform
As the integration movement deepens, numerous demands are being placed on key Regional institutions, and the CARICOM Secretariat, the Community's administrative body headquartered in Georgetown, Guyana. In an effort to address this situation and further accelerate the implementation of decisions, Heads of Government agreed that the structure and functioning of Community institutions needed to be In July 2010, the Heads of Government commissioned a consultancy to produce a report restructuring of the Secretariat. The independent consultancy was supervised by a Project Management Team comprising representatives of Member States. At their Inter-sessional Meeting in March 2012, Heads of Government received the Landell Mills Report on the Restructuring of the CARICOM Secretariat.

Secretary General's Visit to Leo Bradley Library
he Secretary General of the Caribbean Community Secretariat Ambassador Irwin LaRocque visited the Belize National Library Service on Thursday, February 11th, 2016 to officially unveil software, donated by the CARICOM Secretariat, for the visually-impaired. In 2015, the CARICOM Secretariat donated and installed software for the visually-impaired at the Belize National Library Service that would be available to the public. The Library located on Princess Margret Drive in Belize City was identified as the ideal location because of its proximity to several high schools, university and technical vocational institutions. It is also near to the Stella Maris School which caters to students with special needs.

2015-2016 Lobster Season comes to a close
Lobster season officially comes to a close on Monday, February 15th, and the Belize Fisheries Department has reported a stable 2015-2016 season. The Belize Fisheries Department informs all fishermen and the general public that the once the Spiny Lobster (Palinuridae) fishing season is closed, any person found in possession of lobsters during the said closed season will be prosecuted. The season will remain closed until midnight on Tuesday, June 14th.

Ambergris Today

American Student Dies on Field Trip in Belize
Authorities in Belize are investigating the death of teenage student from North Cobb High School, Kennesaw, Georgia, USA, who died while on a fieled trip to the country on Saturday, February 13, 2016. While details of the teen's death is still unclear, a US district official in Cobb County confirmed that 16-year-old Tomari Jackson died after disappearing while the group of students and chaperons were swimming in shallow waters near a riverbank in the Tiger Sandy Bay area of Hattieville, Belize District. The body was discovered and retrieved by the Belize Coast Guard who was called to the scene. Ambergris Today, along with the country of Belize, expresses its sincere condolences to the Jackson family.

China's Health Agreement with Belize to Boost Services
An agreement on cooperation in public health and medical skills was signed on February 10, 2016, between the Government of Belize and the Government of the Republic of China (Taiwan). The objective of the agreement is to access technical support from the Government of the Republic of China (Taiwan) in the area of public health and will include, but will not be limited to, health education, disease screening and clinical services. Another major aspect of this joint collaboration will be the capacity building of medical personnel in Belize.

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

CARICOM Youth Ambassadors
CARICOM Youth Ambassadors in Belize preparing the venue for Monday night's Opening Session of the CARICOM Heads of Government 27th Inter-sessional meeting.

Passing of Mr. Santos Elijio
Mayor Daniel Guerrero, the San Pedro Town Council and Staff would like to extend its deepest condolences to the Elijio family & friends on the passing of Mr. Santos Elijio on February 8, 2016. May his soul rest in peace. Mr. Santos Elijio was father to former councilor, Joseph Elijio. He was also a former employee of the San Pedro Town Council.

Kudos to the The Phoenix for their efforts in keeping San Pedro clean
The Phoenix organizes a beach clean up every Saturday at 8 a.m. with the help of volunteers. Check out their facebook page The Phoenix for updates on their next clean up! Thank you The Phoenix!

4th Anniversary Corozal House of Culture (NICH)
You are kindly invited to celebrate our 4th anniversary as we honour our historical landmark; Corozal Town's Public Market built in 1886.

Belize Telemedia Ltd (BTL) is seeking the services of a "Graphic Designer" in its Marketing Division
Looking for that AMAZINGLY creative marketing talent who can design and execute cutting edge print and video ads, as well as shape winning marketing campaigns. Belize Telemedia Ltd (BTL) is seeking the services of a "Graphic Designer" in its Marketing Division with duty station in Belize City. The Graphic Designer in BTL's Creative Support Unit team is responsible for creative development and input into BTL's internal and external advertising campaigns, and for the production of high quality print & video content across the full range of BTL and DigiCell product lines. The Graphic Designer will also be required to constantly be aware of print/video/audio advertising and marketing trends and how to employ these trends in order to ensure design solutions that have high consumer impact. Applicants must possess the following: Associates degree in Marketing, Graphic Design or related field. Knowledge of layout, design and editing of print and video content.

Mr Greedy's Pizzeria is up for sale
Mr Greedy's Pizzeria is up for sale. Mr. Greedy's is a well established family owned business of 11 years. Mr Greedy;s has a country wide following. With the new location it has more potential than every before. With four times the space and plenty of parking. Great new interior decor. Contact Mary K Cariddi only serious inquires please.

Largest Resort Spa on Ambergris Caye Set to Open
Known for its stunning beachfront location, personal service and luxurious accommodations, award winning Victoria House on the island of Ambergris Caye, Belize, plans to open the doors to its full service spa and fitness facility in May, 2016. "We're delighted with the result - everything has come together better than we could have hoped for, and we can't wait to share the new spa with our guests," says Brent Kirkman, General Manager of Victoria House. "This is something our guests have been looking for, waiting for, and anticipating and we're so proud that it's finally here." The spa, fitness and wellness facility, at 3,500 sq. ft., will be the largest of its kind on Ambergris Caye. Styled in a Caribbean plantation/colonial theme, the new building of white stucco and chocolate brown shutters, is set in a tropical garden with coconut palms, Flamboyants and Bougainvilleas creating a serene and therapeutic atmosphere. "Part of Victoria House's appeal is our magnificent beachfront location on Ambergris Caye, and our grounds are truly a work of art," says Janet Woollam, Managing Director of Victoria House. "We want to bring that beauty, sense of space, peace and serenity to the new spa and we were able to do that."

Meet a Belizean tour guide who can navigate by the stars
Kimike Smith can navigate his boat by the stars and tell you the name of every sea creature along the reef. He's a guide here with Island Expeditions. How did you come to work at Island Expeditions? Everyone in Belize knows about Island Expeditions. They have been here since 1987 and provide good jobs to a lot of Belizeans. We know the ocean and the jungle unlike any foreigner and they respect our knowledge. They are also the best tour company in the country - the most professional and protective of our wildlife. I started working with them 12 years ago, and they saved my life. How did they save your life? I was young, my parents were no longer in my life and I was living in a friend's basement. I was getting into some trouble. A friend's mother told me about IE and the type of jobs they offered. I knew the ocean, and I liked working with people, so I thought, "Yeah, I'm gonna be a guide." I was cocky. Because I didn't have my tour guide licence, they only let me work maintenance. I quit once. I was frustrated that they wouldn't let me guide just on my knowledge, but they have a high standard for their guides, and I couldn't be one until I met those standards. Finally, once I got my ego in check, they helped me go to guiding school where I aced it. Of course. If they hadn't supported me and believed in me, I don't know where I would be now � I have the best job in the world.

Government of Japan gives grant to "The project for the Improvement of the Sea Island Cotton Industry"
The Government of Japan is once again aiding Belize in another project. The Government of Japan is granting a total of $102,029.00 USD to the Cotton Industry in Belize. This contribution was made under the Grant Assistance for Grassroots Human Security projects of the Government of Japan. This project was initiated by cotton farmers in Belize and is represented by Mr. Kensuke Inoue. Seeing as agricultural is one of Belize's main strength, the development of this industry provides job and stability in such field. The Embassy of Japan wishes success of this project because the Sea Island Cotton is one of the most potential products to strengthen the relationship between Belize and Japan. Belize produces some of the best cotton in the world.

Milpa incursions in the Chiquibul
Honourable Minister Omar Figueroa and CEO Dr. Colin Young flew today over the Chiquibul to see first-hand the milpa incursions occurring on the western flank of the park.

Become a History Detective and win!
Treasure hunt in downtown Belize City. Weekly clues.

CALLING ALL WOMEN ENTREPRENUERS IN BELIZE!!!
DEADLINE - February 18, 2016 (THIS THURSDAY!!!) This year the Global Entrepreneurship Summit (GES) will bein Silicon Valley, California! Last year two Belizean entreprenuers were able to participate in the GES in Kenya and we hope that other women entreprenuers from Belize will take advantage of this opportunity in 2016. Unleashing the economic potential of women is a powerful tool to drive economic growth and prosperity. Women entrepreneurs are integral to stable and thriving formal economies, which is why we are developing content with the needs of women entrepreneurs in mind. Click on the link below and follow the insturctions to submit your application. Good luck!!

Channel 7

CARICOM Comes To Belize
CARICOM Heads of Government are meeting in Placencia tonight for the Twenty-Seventh Inter-sessional Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government. The meeting is being held in Belize as Prime Minister Dean Barrow takes over the Chairmanship of CARICOM from The Prime Minister of Barbados, Freundel Stuart. The opening ceremony was scheduled to start at 6:00 at the Placencia Hotel but up to news time, it hadn't started yet. The Heads of Government meeting reportedly has the attendance of all 15 CARICOM heads of government, and a total of 125 delegates. The event got off to a running start this morning when Finance Ministers met to discuss the de-risking by US Banks that is affecting the entire region's commercial banking sector. Gaston Browne who is Antigua and Barbuda's Prime Minister and Minister of Finance chaired the meeting, which included the Committee of Central Bank Governors, the Caribbean Association of Banks and the Caribbean Financial Action Task Force. The recommendations from this morning's meeting will go before the Heads during their deliberations on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Teenaged Tourist Drowns In Sibun
On Saturday, a 14 year old American tourist drowned in the Belize District. Tomari Jackson was in a group of 33 American Students between 14 and 15 year old, along with their chaperones from the North Cobb High School in Kennesaw, Georgia. They came to Belize and were on the first day of their school trip, which took them to Monkey Bay resort. While on the trail the group along with local guides stopped by an area known as Tiger Sandy Bay a few miles off mile 31 on the George Price Highway to take a swim in the Sibun river. They left the area after 5:00 in the evening, but when they made headcount, the chaperones realized that one of the students was missing. Inspector Juanito Cocom from the Rural Eastern Division told us more: Inspector Juanito Cocom - Deputy Commander, Eastern Rural: "Based on the information received of a missing person in Tiger Sand Bay area, which is about 6 miles off the Mile 31 on the George Price Highway. Police visited Monkey Bay resort where one Mr. Matt Miller, 59 year old American businessman reported that on the same date around 3pm, a group of around 32 Americans students ages 14 and 15 accompanied by 6 American chaperons visit the resort and went swimming. Around 5:15pm, the group left the swimming area and border a bus back to the resort. A head count was conducted on board the bus when it was then discovered that one of the students namely Tomari Elija Jackson, 14 years who unfortunately would have been 15 today - a student of Atlanta Georgia USA was missing."

Report: Luis Alcoser Re-Emerges
On January 6th, we told you about Luis Alcoser, the resident of Caledonia village whose vehicle was found shot up on the side of the road. He was missing and his family feared the worst. Well, tonight we can tell you that he has re-emerged alive and is presently in the custody of Corozal police. Police aren't talking right now, so we don't know the circumstances of his re-appearance. His father told us he has heard the same and sent his other son to check. He told us if his son is indeed alive, it will be a joyful day for his family. We'll keep following the story and hope to have more on this tomorrow.

CARICOM: Correspondent Banking A Priority
Right Now, the collective technical might of the Government of Belize is all down on the Placencia Peninsula for the 27th Inter-Sessional Meeting of The Conference of Heads of Government of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM). As we told you earlier, Belize took over the interim chairmanship of CARICOM, and right now, Prime Minister Dean Barrow is heading all sessions. He's currently the keynote speaker in the opening ceremony which should start sometime tonight at the Placencia Hotel. Our news team is there for that ceremony, and we'll have highlights of tonight's event for you in tomorrow's newscast. But, just before the ceremony started, our Daniel Ortiz spoke with Elsworth John, the St. Vincent and the Grenadines' Ambassador to CARICOM, who also serves as Head of the Regional Integration and Diaspora Unit. He told us that the CARICOM Finance Ministers hit the ground running with the itinerary delve right into the issue of de-risking, which all the CARICOM nations face since the tier 1 American Banks are terminating the corresponding banking relationships with banking institutions all across the Caribbean. Here's that interview with the Ambassador:

Five Teenagers Shot In 30 Hours In city
Five people were shot this weekend in Belize City - all of them teenagers - and, luckily, none of them were seriously injured. The gun violence started on Friday night at 7:00 on Allan Pitts Crescent in the Port Loyola area where 19-year-old Raheem Bailey was shot to his chest and to both legs. Police say that Bailey was at home with a friend, when a man known to him rode up on a bicycle and came to a stop twenty feet away where he pulled out a firearm, and fired several shots at them - but only Bailey got hit. Bailey was rushed to the KHMH where he is in a stable condition. Police have one man detained. And then one hour later, at 8:00, in the same Port Loyola area on Boots Crescent, police responded to gunfire and found a 17-year-old male lying on the right side of the street at the corner with Rivero Street Extension. He had been shot to his upper back by a 23 year old who came up from behind. He was rushed to the KHMH where he is also in stable condition. Police have since arrested and charged 23-year-old Joseph Lopez with "Attempted Murder, Dangerous Harm and Use of Deadly Means of Harm".

Gunman Sprayed Fire On Club Going Crowd Heading Home
And then, 3 more teenagers were shot on Newtown Barracks this weekend. Early Saturday morning at around 3:45, a crowd was leaving the nightclub at Princess, and a shooter sprayed gunfire on a crowd headed towards BTL park. The target was 19 year old Wilbert Welch. He was hit to his left shoulder and two others who had the bad luck of walking behind Welch at the time, 19 year old Devon Gillett and 19 year old Chelsea Young were also hit - Gillet to the neck and left shoulder, and Young to the hand. Police have detained 3 persons. Police believe the shooting was related to Friday night's shootings involving the Southside gang and an ongoing rivalry with a crew from Jane Usher Boulevard.

Cannabis By Cargo
The San Pedro police strike team used intelligence to make a weed bust. On Sunday, they waited outside the town's airstrip for 21 year old Romario Mai to pick up a package. He was riding away from Maya Island Air's cargo section, when police stopped him and searched his knapsack. Inside they found 341 grams, or 12 ounces of weed stuffed into a corn flakes box. The package came from Belize City and Mai was only picking it up for a known dealer on the island. Still, Mai was charged with drug trafficking. The dealer - whose name was on the box - was questioned and released. Police say they are keeping a close eye on the cargo services which they believe are a transit point for drugs entering the island.

Baby Nina: Friday's Scene At Court
On Friday we told you about the late evening court decision to send 2 year old baby Nina back to Guatemala in the custody of her father, Ernesto Barrera. According to the mother, Ana Liz Perez Gutierrez, back in October last year, she ran away from Guatemala with her child allegedly escaping abuse. She entered Belize and found refuge with her family in Orange Walk. But her freedom and that of her daughter's was short lived. In November last year, social workers swooped in and removed baby Nina from her custody. This led to an international custody battle that culminated on Friday. As we told you the session took all day and the decision was not made until after 6:30. With the tight time constraints we could not bring you a full report - which we have for you tonight: A platoon of officers lined the entrance of Bishop Street on Friday. They had barricaded the road from about 8 in the morning AT the other end of the street there was also a strong presence of uniformed police officers. At the entrance of the family court everyone was searched, men and women alike. Police had gotten a hint the day before that their might be a protest in support of Baby Nina Staying in Belize with her mother.

Peering Inside El Pilar
The El Pilar Archeological Site: it's situated about 11 miles outside of San Ignacio - right on the Belize Guatemala border line. Now, we have reported extensively on the problems this particular location presents - the main threat being Guatemalan bandits. Tour Guides and tourists have even expressed fear in visiting El Pilar. But Researcher Dr. Anabel Ford says there is so much more to El Pilar; beyond these geographical pressures, and her new book "The Maya Forest Garden" highlights this beautiful and elaborate world beneath the canopy. Today that book was launched at the Image Factory. We spoke with one of the Master Gardeners, 75 year old Alfonso Tzul as well as Dr. Ford - they told us this book traces the deep connection between humans and nature. Alfonso Tzul, Master Forest Gardener: "I've been practicing agriculture. I've been using the land, the forest, and the animals in such a way that it contributes, not only to me, but to the animals, to the land and to the forest as well. So Anabel came to me one day by accident and we got to know one another and she asked me why I do all those things and that is where the concept came about that you cannot live without the land. The land will remain, but you will go, the trees will go, but the land will stay. So you have to treat it carefully. That was the secret of the Mayas even from ancient days. That was how she began to collect information for this book that I have in my hand. So this book is an account of how the Mayas live many years ago - thousands of year ago and how they still continue to live like that today on their plot of land. One of the big issues in Belize is that lots of us tend to look at the land as a curse. The land should not be looked as a curse, but as a blessing. Something that can make` great improvements in your life. Case in point: the farmer may not have a lot of money, but he will always have something to eat."

John Yapp, Searching For Closure At The Scene Of The Crime (Against His Reputation)
Former British High Commissioner John Yapp left Belize in shame and scandal in June and 2008, when a complaint was made about his conduct - it alleged that he had touched the backside of a female senior counsel at a cocktail. The former Deputy High Commissioner David Spires reported this to the British Foreign Office - and said the complaint came from former foreign Minister Eamon Courtenay. Courtney denied making any such complaint to Spires. A fact finding mission sent by the British Government said that Courtney had made the complaint in confidence - and it led to disciplinary action against Yapp - who eventually lost his job - and ran into health difficulties. In short, the entire ordeal ruined Yapp personally and professionally - so much so that even after being cleared of any wrongdoing whatsoever by the two highest British courts - he still had lost his career. Now he's back in Belize visiting old friends and looking for closure. He told Jules Vasquez as much on Friday:... John Yapp, Former British High Commissioner to Belize: "You know I feel genuinely robbed of the great time that I felt confident of having here, both in professional and personal terms, but it was not to be. The disappointments I think which I still suffer from some of the effect, including you know the price I had to pay in terms of my health, are things which are essentially now focused in the UK rather than in Belize. But I wanted to come here perhaps one last time to say goodbye to, you know, many of my friends and, you know, incredibly loyal supporters who have sustained me over the last eight years."

Digicell Valentine's Tour Ends
We're used to one day cycling races, which are many times known as "classics." Those are staples on the Belize sporting calendar - especially the biggest classic of them all, the Holy Saturday Cross Country Cycling Classic. But, in the wider global cycling community, stage races are what dominates the sport. And Belize's first tour in a while was held over the last four days. It started on February tenth and finished yesterday - with Mexican rider, Yapur in the lead, and Joel Borland trialing by just nine seconds. Would Borland be able to make it up on the western Highway? Our team was on the road:.. Stage 5 - fifth and final stage - of the Digicel Valentine Tour 2016 - San Ignacio to the Benque border to Belize City - a total of 90 miles. Mexican Juan Manuel Yapur is the overall race leader - as they pulled off at 9:00 am all 48 remaining cyclists wanted to prove that they could win a stage. As we head towards the Western border, we can see that this will be no walk in the park - heading into a north wind. Giovanni Lovell attacks the peloton early - and the peloton responds in kind.

Maim Victim Francis Gill's Civil Solution
Imagine going to Li Chee to buy a late night fried chicken and to end up losing your leg right at the chicken joint because of some hard talk. That's what happened to Belize City resident Francis Gill: he lost right leg from the knee down after he was run over by 35 year-old Devon Jones in September of 2014. As we had reported, Gill and Jones had some words, and Jones jumped into his Chevy Trail Blazer and people thought that was the end of disagreement. But, without any warning, Jones lurched unto the sidewalk towards Gill, and slammed him into the wall and pinned his leg there. He had to be rushed to the KHMH, and a few days later, the doctors had no choice but to amputate Gill's leg from the knee down in order to save his life. Jones has since been awaiting trial on the criminal charges of maim and aggravated assault. But, although he has yet to his day in the Supreme Court, Gill didn't wait around for a criminal court to establish guilt against Jones. He took out civil lawsuit against Jones, and on Friday won a judgment in default against Jones, who did not put up a defense.

Exquisite Cotton Produced in Belize
The Government of Japan is giving a very generous grant to the Belize Cotton Industry. The grant in excess of 102 thousand US dollars was handed to the Government of Belize for the project named the Improvement of the Sea Island Cotton Industry. Sea Island Cotton is said to possess fine, almost legendary qualities that are sought after worldwide. But, this strain of cotton is very sensitive and vulnerable to pests, and requires very specific environmental and climate conditions - which is why production has declined all across the Caribbean. Now, through engineering, the Japanese have been able to produce quality cotton with more durable plants. And so, Belize is now considered to produce the best cotton in the world. Last year six farming families participated in the Sea Island cotton cultivation project. This year, the Japanese say they have over 40, and are expecting to produce 100,000 pounds of cotton. So far, according to a release from the Japanese, 28,000 pounds have been produced. They handed over two tractors to help the project.

Posted By: Marty Re: Today's Belize News: February 16, 2016 - 02/16/16 11:52 AM

Channel 5

CARICOM Ministers of Finance Meet to Discuss Correspondent Bank Crisis
The opening ceremony of the Twenty-Seventh Intercessional Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government of CARICOM is about to start in Placencia at the Placencia Hotel. Late arrivals by [...]

CARICOM Will Send Delegates to Washington to Explore Options
While Ysaguirre refrained from divulging specific outcomes from the meeting, respective heads of government will be briefed of a collective position that will be taken in the days ahead.� The [...]

Is a Regional Correspondent Bank the Answer to Crisis?
During today's finance meeting, the committee discussed a number of options, including the possibility of establishing a regional correspondent bank by pooling together resources.� While that idea may serve as [...]

American Student Drowns in the Sibun River
In the west, tragedy struck a visiting group of students. A fourteen year old North Cobb High School in Atlanta, Georgia was among thirty-two students who arrived in Belize on [...]

Will There Be Negative Implications for Monkey Bay Wildlife Sanctuary?
Now the death of Tomari adds to the number of visitors who have lost their lives during aquatic tours throughout Belize. But it is the first to happen in the [...]

Bandits Steal Cop's Ride�Vehicle Found in Guatemala
There was a bold and brazen car-jacking in Benque over the weekend. For one thing it happened in broad daylight in a populated area. For another, the vehicle was in [...]

Guatemalan National Slashed in Salvapan
A Guatemalan national is currently hospitalized at the K.H.M.H. after he was chopped to his head, right thumb and knees. His index finger was amputated in an incident on Sunday [...]

Brackett Charged for Attempted Murder
There was no love on Belize City streets this Valentine's weekend as five persons were shot in three separate incidents. The first happened on Friday night just before seven, when [...]

Minor Shot at Boots Crescent
Just about an hour after that, police were called out to Boots Crescent by St. John Vianney Primary School where a minor was seen lying on the street in a [...]

3 Persons Shot on Valentine's Day
And then, in the early hours of Valentine's Day, three persons were shot near the Renaissance Towers on Newtown Barracks. Just before 4:00am, nineteen year old Wilbert Welch was walking [...]

Body of San Pedro Resident Found in Benque Creek
A laborer from San Pedro is dead, allegedly as a result of too much alcohol leading to a long drop into a shallow creek. The body of Fernando Melendez was [...]

The Opening of CARICOM's 27th Intercessional Meeting
The opening of the CARICOM Intercessional started a few minutes ago at the Placencia Hotel. In the next two days, the heads of government of Caribbean states will be meeting [...]

Plus Television's On-Air License Will Be Renewed
On February fourth, Managing Director of Plus Television Louis Wade was informed by the Belize Broadcasting Authority that his payment for the renewal of his on-air license would not be [...]

Mayan Gardening Publication Launched By Renowned Archeologist
Doctor Anabel Ford is an archeologist, who having discovered El Pilar in the west, has put in at least two decades of research arguing that the Maya's milpa cycle is [...]

Woman Arraigned for Stealing Doctor's Purse
Tonight, the mother of a new born is on remand at the Belize Central Prison after she was accused of stealing a wallet containing cash and personal items from a [...]

Basketball, Football and Cycling on Sports Monday
Good evening, I'm James Adderley and this is Sports Monday.   The drums of Dangriga sounded the challenge as Dangriga Warriors invaded Belize City to take on the leading Belize [...]

CTV3

Heads Of CARICOM Meets In Placencia
Belize will be hosting heads of CARICOM in the 27th inter-sessional meeting to be held in Placencia on the 16 and 17 of February. The meeting will be chaired by Prime Minister Dean Borrow and it is expected that the Heads of Government that will be attending the meeting will discuss several pressing issues that are currently affecting the region. As we speak the opening session of the meeting is taking place. One important issue that will be discussed at the meeting is the advancement in the regional response to the Zika Virus considering that just two weeks ago the World Health organization (WHO) declared ZIKA as a public health emergency of international concern and the fact that at least five CARICOM member states have diagnosed cases of ZIKA virus. The Caribbean Regional Public Health Agency (CARPHA) is also expected to be present at the meeting to provide assistance in determining future actions in the ZIKA Virus fight, seeing that they are the leading organization that has been providing testing, prevention and control guidance to members of CARICOM member states.

Banking Sector Make Topic Of Discussion During CARICOM 27th Inter-Sessional Meeting
And keeping with the topic of the inter-sessional CARICOM meeting that will take place on Tuesday and Wednesday between the heads of Government, a committee of Finance Ministers established by the heads of Government met this morning to discuss a regional response to the threat to the banking sector in CARICOM member states. The topic of the correspondent banking relationships and the possible loss of access to the international financial markets by mainly the Regional indigenous banks is an issue that is affecting several CARICOM member states and has become an important topic to be discussed in the inter-sessional CARICOM meeting set to take place later in the week. Several international banks, mainly in the US and Europe, have signaled to client banks in the Region an unwillingness to continue carrying their business, an action referred to as 'de-risking' which threatens to impact several important services including remittance transfers.

Night Of Dancing Turns Into Robbery
On Sunday at around 5:30 in the morning, thirty one year old Davir Moguel, Belizean sales manager of San Lazaro Village in the Orange Walk District reported to authorities that he was socializing at a popular night club in Orange Walk with a companion when he was robbed. According to Moguel, while at the club he went to use the restroom and was followed by three male persons who took away his chain link gold necklace with a cross pendant and his bracelet valued at $3,500.00 and $1,350.00 respectively. Moguel told police that the men also robbed him US$525.00 which he had zip lock plastic bag located in his right front pant pocket. Police are investigating.

Traffic Accidents Victim Taken To KHMH
On Friday's newscast we reported on a traffic accident involving an individual on a motorcycle and a truck. The accident occurred around 5 o'clock on Friday evening on the Philip Goldson highway near the popular grocery store Aaron's supermarket.The driver of the motor cycle was identified as 34 year old, Joel Tamai a resident of Nuevo San Juan who was transported to the Northern Regional Hospital suffering from a fracture to his right femur and abrasions to both side of his face. Tamai was later transported to the KHMH for further treatment. The truck was being driven at the time of the accident by 42 year old Oligario Castillo. No one has been charged in relation to this accident and police are still conducting investigations.

San Pedrano Investigated For Drug Trafficking
A 21 year old man is in police custody at the San Pedro Police station pending charges after he was caught in possession of 340.9 grams of cannabis. On Sunday February, 14 2016 at around 4:45 in the afternoon while conducting foot patrol the San Pedro Strike team intercepted 21- year old Romario Mai of San Mateo area, San Pedro Town riding a bicycle in the airstrip area, near Maya Island Air Cargo. Upon searching a black and grey school bag being carried by the individual police found a black plastic bag containing three other black plastic bags all containing Cannabis. The bags were weighed separately, which amounted to 109.4, 115.7 and 115.8 grams totaling 340.9 grams. He was then escorted to the San Pedro Police Station pending charges.

Assistant Superintendent Robbed Of Vehicle
On Sunday February 14th at around 1:30 pm, Officer Commanding the Orange Walk Police Formation, Assistant Superintendent Selvin Tillett while on a trip to Benque Viejo Del Carmen was robbed of his white 2014 Mazda Pick-up truck. Tillett reported that on Sunday he and his son-in-law were in the vehicle parked in front of his house located on Humble Street at Lomas Del Rodeo Benque Viejo Town when he saw 2 Hispanic male persons in their late 20's or 30's walking on the street. Tillett stated that when he opened the driver side door, he saw one of the men pointing a black handgun at him and asked for the truck. According to Tillett, the two male persons then got in the vehicle and drove off, heading towards the direction of Arenal Village, he followed the stolen vehicle as far as Arenal Village but it had already went into Guatemalan territory.

Altercation Between Brothers Leads To One Injured
At about 6:50 on Saturday evening Orange Walk Police visited the Northern Regional Hospital where they observed Belizean laborer of Guinea Grass Village, Alejo Camara, with cut wounds to the left eye. Camara apparently sustained the injuries during an altercation with his brother, Faustino Camara. Reports are that during an argument between the siblings, Faustino picked up a stick and flogged Alejo on his left eye causing the injuries. Alejo was later transported to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital to seek proper medical attention as he has now lost the sight of his left eye.

PlusTV

Santender withdraws request for SSB loan
The Chief Financial Officer of the Santander Sugar Group, Andres Ay-au, today addressed a press conference in Belize City in which he announced that the group has formally withdrawn its request for a $12 million loan from the Social Security Board (SSB).The Group, based in Guatemala but featuring in...

SANTANDER defends investment in Belize
Beset by allegations that they are taking advantage of a weakened banking system and robbing Belizeans of more lucrative investments, the Santander Sugar Group has mounted a defense of its more than 200 million-Belize-dollar investment in sugar cane production. According to Chief Financial Officer f...

NTUCB voted against Santender loan
Even before the decision by Santender to withdraw their request for a loan from the Social Security Board, yesterday, President of the NTUCB Marvin Mora was already signaling in an interview with our colleagues at Channel 5 that their representatives on the Board had voted against the proposal. E...

Fruta Bomba pulling out of Belize
Fruita Bomba has been operating in Northern Belize for the past 22 years but on Thursday, 11th February, it announced that in 6 months time it will be closing its doors permanently. The parent Company, Brooks Tropicals, which operates both Fruita Bomba and Belize Fruit Packers is located in San Joa...

Chamber Denounces Allegations on Rice Safety
As we have reported, the man interested in importing Guayanese rice for sale to the Belizean public at a cost lower than local rice issued a statement earlier this week. In that statement, Jack Charles alleges that Belizean rice is unsafe due to the aflatoxin levels. Charles also supplied the media ...

Baptist High School knocked down on Highway
There was an accident just outside Belmopan on Friday morning at 9 am which has left a fifteen year old minor of Roaring Creek in the hospital. A grey Ford 250 pickup truck, driven at the time by Clarence Thiessen of Spanish Lookout, had just exited Guanacaste roundabout and was heading towards Beli...

Independence Village Council employee robbed of day's deposit
The Independence Village Council Office was robbed today sometime after 9 a.m. Village Council employee Dillon Torres, recently hired in December 2015, reported that he was about to go to the bank to make a deposit on behalf of the Independence Village Council but realized he had forgotten the depo...

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Two men in Sandhill escape gunfire this weekend
Ladyville police responded to a shooting incident in Sandhill Village, Belize District, on Thursday January 11 and upon arrival at the scene, officers found that fortunately, no-one was injured. Around 9:00 p.m. that day, the 19-year-old told police that he and his friend were socializing in front [�]

Guatemalan national critical after being chopped
A Guatemalan national, Fernando Soria, 33, who is currently residing in the Salvapan area of Belmopan City, remains at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital (KHMH) in a critical condition after being chopped to his head, right thumb, knees and getting his right index finger amputated [�]

Teen busted with weed in Succotz
An 18-year-old Succotz resident was arrested and charged for the offense of 'drug trafficking' on Saturday January 6, after being busted by Cayo Police with almost a half-pound of weed. Officers on foot patrol along the village's riverside, around 2:30 p.m., stopped and searched Owen Jimenez who [�]

Regional Government leaders meet in Placencia tonight
Placencia in the Stann Creek District is tonight playing host to the 27thInter-Sessional Meeting of CARICOM Heads of Government. Among the topics on the agenda are the regional response to the Zika virus and benefits from the Paris Agreement on Climate Change including access to climate finance. [�]

Police search for missing Benque teen
A 13-year-old Adventist Primary School student, Delmy Betancourt, was reported missing yesterday afternoon by her father, Elmer Betancourt, 48, who visited the Benque Viejo Police Station in Cayo. He told officers that on Saturday night around 10:00, he got up from bed and noticed that his daughter was [�]

Belize City Police operations yield gun and ammunition
Two separate searches conducted by Belize City Police; one yesterday and the other on February 6, yielded a handgun and 11 live rounds of ammunition, which were all deposited as 'found property' since no one was seen in any of the immediate areas. On Saturday, [�]

Five hospitalized after violent weekend in Belize City
Over the weekend in Belize City, five teenagers were shot in three separate incidents and all had to be taken to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital (KHMH) for treatment. On Friday night around 7:00, police visited the hospital and saw 19-year-old Raheem Jaheem Bailey suffering from a [�]

Mother of Baby Nina vows: "I will follow my daughter to Guatemala"
Analiz Gutierrez must, for now, give up her child, Nina Barrera Perez, to Guatemalan authorities after the Belize Family Court on Friday determined that the baby was illegally removed last year. Gutierrez, while severely disappointed with the decision, says it is now "out of [�]

Belize: still no Zika, safe for travel
There have been no confirmed cases of Zika in Belize, despite reported cases in surrounding Central American and Caribbean territories. As concerns grow among tourists, travel advisories have been issued about visiting a number of destinations but Belize is not included in the list [�]

Drier airflow setting in
The National Meteorological Service of Belize is predicting sunny skies with cloudy spells today and partly cloudy skies tonight. A few showers will affect mainly Northern districts this morning, then become isolated this afternoon and tonight. Winds will be blowing from the East-Southeast at [�]

Blogs

Blue Hole Reef Scenic Flight in Belize
One of the things I wanted to do when we started researching Belize was to see the Blue Hole Reef. It's a circular-shaped reef around a really deep sinkhole, so the water looks super dark blue inside the reef and crystal clear blue outside. The photos I saw were gorgeous! I found a snorkeling tour, but it left Caye Caulker at 6am and lasted about 12 hours or longer. That sounded like torture. For only US$10 more, there was an option to take a scenic flight over the reef. No early morning, no long day, and I'd get the aerial views of the reef, which is what I wanted more than snorkeling in it. Decision made, I signed up for the tour, and Andy opted to rent a kayak during the same time. The pilot took five of us up in a Piper Cherokee, and being by myself, I got to sit up front. This upset one of the other couples a little because the guy had a big fancy camera, and according to his girlfriend, "he really wants to take pictures." Yes dear, we ALL want to take pictures, that's why we're taking the flight. Everyone got a window, and guess what? Being in the front meant I couldn't lean over to take pictures out the other window because that would've gotten in the way of the pilot, and it meant the few times I could actually see above the dashboard, I got the spinning propeller in my photos.

How to Keep Your New Year's Resolution to Travel Belize
Picture this: you've been searching the web for your "Dream Caribbean Vacation Destination" and just so happened to stumble across the jewel known as Belize. Known for its white sand beaches, lush jungles, world-class diving, savoury cuisine and friendly people, you make up your mind that this is the place you want to visit for the New Year. The only issue, you have no idea where to begin or how to plan your trip there. Planning your "Dream Trip" may seem like a daunting task but don't worry, the Maya Travel Team is here to help. Just to be clear, not all of them are easy and some will require sacrifices. The key is to keep moving forward and checking items off the list; before you know it, you'll be boarding your flight to Belize. Here are 5 ways to make your Belize Travel Dreams come true this year: Pick your Destination, Pick your Date, Price the Trip, Check your Passport, See your Doctor.

International Sourcesizz

PM Dean Barrow chairs CARICOM Intersessional Meeting
The Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister of Belize, currently holds the Chairmanship of the Conference of Heads of Government of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) and is the lead Head of Government with responsibility for Justice and Governance in the CARICOM Quasi Cabinet. He will host his colleague Heads of Government and their delegations at Placencia, in Belize for the Twenty-Seventh Intersessional Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government 16-17 February, 2016. Prime Minister Barrow was born in Belize City on March 2, 1951. He was trained at the University of the West Indies, Cave Hill (LL.B. 1973); Norman Manley Law School, Mona (Certificate of Legal Education, 1975); University of Miami School of Law (L.M. 1981) and the University of Miami (M.A. International Relations).

US and Cuba to sign agreement for direct regular flights
The signing ceremony of a memorandum of understanding for the establishment of direct regular flights between Cuba and the United States will take place on Tuesday in Havana. According to a press statement released by the foreign ministry, Adel Yzquierdo, minister of transport, and Alfredo Cordero, president of the Institute of Civil Aeronautics of Cuba, will represent Cuba on the ceremony, while Anthony Foxx, transportation secretary, and Ambassador Charles H. Rivkin, deputy secretary for economic and business affairs of the State Department, will do so for the United States. As announced earlier, negotiators of the two countries reached an understanding on this issue and, after the corresponding steps, the final document will be signed on Tuesday.

Snorkeling and Diving in Belize
Snorkelers and divers visit Belize to explore its spectacular reef. The 185-mile-long barrier reef ranks as the longest chain of coral in the Americas and the second longest in the world (Australia's reef is the longest). The colorful underwater gardens-70 types of hard coral alone-as well as the caves and walls harbor more than 400 species of fish. To explore the northern cayes, base yourself at Ambergris Caye. The must-do from here: snorkel or dive Hol Chan Marine Reserve. Located about four miles from the caye's southern town of San Pedro, Hol Chan is reachable within a 30-minute boat ride. We float above schools of rainbow colored fish, spot a turtle, moray eels, giant barrel sponges and a barracuda. Most guided outings to Hol Chan also feature a stop at Shark Ray Alley, a sandbar in six to eight feet of water frequented by nurse sharks and stingrays. Mexico Rocks, part of the Bacalar Reef Marine Reserve, off the north and northeast of Ambergris Caye, also has excellent visibility. View colorful coral and near the underwater cave, look for lobsters, spider crabs and sand sharks. From Ambergris Caye, divers can arrange boat trips to the more distant but celebrated dive sites of Blue Hole, Lighthouse Reef Atoll, and Turneffe Islands Atoll. At Turneffe typical sightings include hawksbill turtles, eagle rays and even hammerhead sharks.

Student who died in Belize remembered for smarts, quirky personality
He was smart, gifted at playing the flute, and had a quirky personality filled with a sarcasm beyond his years. And though he was only a high school freshman, Tomari Aliijah Jackson was on the trip of a lifetime. He was supposed to celebrate his 15th birthday Monday. Along with 31 of his North Cobb High School classmates and six chaperones, Tomari arrived Saturday in Belize. The group planned to spend several days at the Monkey Bay Wildlife Sanctuary on a school-sponsored trip as part of the North Cobb magnet program. The group wasted no time beginning explorations. Tomari and the others hiked before stopping to splash in shallow water near a river bank, the Cobb school system said. It was there that the 14-year-old was last seen alive. Somehow, Tomari disappeared, and local investigators were told the boy was missing. After a search, Tomari was found dead. No details were released late Monday on how Tomari died or whether he had drowned. But his death stunned the school community, district leaders and other Cobb schools, including many who used social media to express condolences.

Woodland Family Dental Prepare for Belize Mission Trip
A Duluth dental clinic is taking its services to an island off the eastern shore of Belize to provide dental care for the youth. Dentists have the same grind day after day but on Wednesday, a handful of staff members at Woodland Family Dental in Duluth are going on a seven day mission for one reason. "Help children save their teeth," said Dr. Dan Larscheid, dentist at Woodland Family Dental. For nearly a decade, Dr. Dan Larscheid yearned to take his passion for healthy teeth to a place where running water and electricity is few and far between. As far as a small island over 3,000 miles away from Duluth. "We're very happy to give back to humanity. We've been very successful up here at Woodland and we want to more or less give back so we're very excited to go down and help," said Dr. Larscheid. For the past several years,the San Pedro Smile Center, which was started by a Minnesota dentist, has been inviting volunteer dentists to help children in the San Mateo community.

Videos

• Belize Men's Mission, 4min.

• Body And Soul - Common Health Problems in Belize, 3min. Body and Soul Medical Mission in Belize and the health problems that they commonly treat.

• VIDA DE FOT�GRAFO S01E33 -- Cavetubing Belize, 8min. Rafael Escovedo escreve sobre a Vida de Fotógrafo em seu blog enquanto trabalha a bordo dos navios de cruzeiros da Norwegian Cruise Lines.

• Belize cave tubing!, 59min. It was amazing a 1 mile hike to the cave and you learned a lot of stuff on the hike. The caves were amazing it is a long video but it is worth it.

• Harvest Aviation Belize Missionary Lifeline, 5min. Harvest Aviation provides air support for Belize missionary groups. The team at Harvest Aviation consists of a combination of unpaid staff, self-supported staff, apprentices, and volunteers all working together to share the gospel of Jesus Christ through the vehicle of aviation. We operate out of Wauchula, FL.

• WIZ FEBRUARY 15, 2016, 6min. from PGTV News Network

• Football, 2min. Belmopan Bandits defeat Verdez FC.

• Morning Matters with Mr. Rempel, 60min.

• Maya Land In Jeopardy | Trio Village | Belize, 12min. In 2014 a Korean man by the name of John Yin bought 2500 acres of land in the Toledo District. Mr. Dan Blanco, a former lands officer, was interviewed by Wil Maheia, BPP Toledo East represenative. Mr. Blanco noted that he is representing the International Missionary Organization, and confirmed that he was directly hired by and works for Mr. John Yin. Apparently the buyer, Mr. Yin, did not know that half of Trio village sits on this land. Now Mr. Yin wants these people to move or buy the parcel that they are occupying. Most of the residents have been living on these lands for more than 25 years and none of them have their land ownership papers. For the past 25 years they have been told by PUDP politicians not to worry, go ahead and build and these politicians promised that once they got into power they would assist them with their land ownership documents, however, to date, those promises has gone unfulfilled.

• Ambergris Caye and mainland Belize with No Worries Tours, 9min. Ambergris Caye, Hol Chan, Mexico rocks.

• Belize that, 15min.

• Belize NYE 2015 16, 4min. Beach life over New Years and San Pedro, Belize...things could have been worse.

• Manatees On The Edge - Saving Charlie, 3min. While the US Fish and Wildlife Service is considering downgrading not only the Florida sub-species of manatee, but also the Antillean sub-species found in Central America, Belize is battling to stabilize its manatee population. Belize has a maximum count of just over 500 manatees in its coastal waters, with the total national population estimated at between 700 and 1,000, and a regional population estimated at 2,500. In 2015 alone, 40 manatees were reported and verified as dead,many of them in the Belize City / Belize River area, primarily from watercraft collisions linked to the increasing tourism boat traffic in the area. This is not good. This is not sustainable. By the middle of February this year, another seven fatalities were reported, with Charlie making the eighth manatee stranding for 2016. With the increasing number of boats in key manatee areas, the threat of more injured and / or orphaned manatees is also increasing, placing greater strain on the already full facilities at the Manatee Rehabilitation Centre.

• Belize Feeding Frenzy, 3.5min.

• Big Creek Port (Belize), 8min.

• NELSON FULLER: TRIBUTE TO A LEGENDARY BELIZEAN MUSICIAN!, 45min. The 1970's Belize's Lord Rhaburn Combo outstanding drummer, Nelson Fuller, could be dubbed as Belize's most rhythmic drummer of all times throughout the years of Belize's professional entertainment scene of the 1970's and 1980's. Not only was he a class act within his own musical spectrum, but he taught many upcoming Belizean drummers how to play all different genres of music----from R&B to the Funk, and from reggae to calypso. Fuller who was versed in all forms of music, was also respected by American as well as Caribbean musicians who had come to play music in Belize in the 1970's and 80's. The legendary Belizean drummer who now has been living in Los Angeles for many years now, spoke with Belizean Legends about his brilliant career as a Belizean musician, and his life as a drummer for Belize's most populist band, the Lord Rhaburn Combo.
  • © Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board