AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Today's Belize News: March 14, 2016 - 03/14/16 11:34 AM

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Congratulations San Pedro High School Male softball team!
2016 Northern Softball Regional Champs! They will be representing the island at the National Softball Championship this Friday, March 18th, and Saturday, March 19th in Belmopan.

Letter to the Editor: Signs across town
Dear Editor; This letter is addressed to Ramon's Village, Headrick Signs and Graphics and Tabony Industries Limited. Please remove the billboard which has been erected in front of Barrier Reef Resort. Besides being a 40 foot high monstrosity, consider how it will affect the residents and their guests. This sign is in view of the 5 condo buildings facing the sea. That is 9 units per building, 45 condos, each housing 2-4 residents or tourists-roughly over 100 people whose experience on this island is being diminished by your sign. And then there are all the tourists and residents passing that sign wondering why you are ruining the look and feel of our island. No one likes to see billboards go up. You are creating the Ill-will of many people who will encourage their guests and friends to avoid your businesses. Realtors tell me this sign has depreciated the value of the condo owner's units between $20,000 BZD and $40,000 BZD depending on proximity to the sign by interfering with their view of the sea. That is over a million dollars in reduced property value!

Letter to the Editor: Traffic and Exhaust
Dear Editor, We have written before and expressed our displeasure about the island's traffic. During our vacation we were wondering about the high number of vehicles and the high number of very dilapidated vehicles (some with terrible, black exhaust), taxis, pick-up trucks and heavy trucks traffic. We thought this was not tourist friendly and appropriate for a vacation island. We did not feel safe in the high traffic, speeding and the terrible exhaust by some vehicle on the way to town and in town. But we have a solution: - I might suggest that the person/officer who is responsible for giving vehicle permits of cars and issues the license plates should stand behind a vehicle, just a few feet near the exhaust and at least for a few minutes, three minutes I might suggest. Once he has done that he will certainly know very well if that car's exhaust is acceptable for traffic but more importantly if the car's exhaust is acceptable for local and tourists to drive right behind on public roads and streets in town. If he feels dizzy he should not permit such vehicle.

Wolfe's Woofer: Say You're Sorry
"I'm going to leave you here while I go to the bank and go to buy vegetables," Sherry said. "I should be back in about forty-five minutes." She left me at a table on the deck at the Holiday Hotel. I divided my time between reading and watching the waves break on the reef as I sipped my coffee. A middle-aged man with a young man in his early twenties took the table next to mine. "Well, son," the man said. "You finally graduated college. Have you thought about what you're going to do now?" The boy said, "Dad, I want to get married." "We'll discuss it after you say you're sorry," his dad said. "Sorry for what?" "You have to say sorry."

Projects Abroad Belize - Living a Healthy Lifestyle
Eating a healthy diet is very important, but what is a healthy diet? A healthy diet consists of a wide variety of food groups. It is recommended to eat 7-10 servings of vegetables and fruits, 6-8 servings of grains and cereals, 2-3 servings of meat and other proteins, and 2-3 servings of milk and dairy products a day. When choosing vegetables and fruits it is important to pick bright colors and leafy greens. A fresh piece of fruit is better for you than a glass of fruit juice. When it comes to meat, options with less fat or "lean" meat products such as chicken or fish are better for your heart and your overall health. Swapping white bread and rice for brown or whole wheat is an easy way to make healthier choices. Choosing low or no fat milks and cheeses are also a great way to live a healthier lifestyle. It is important to limit the amount of sweets such as chips, pop, and candy, as these have lots of sugar and unhealthy fats that can increase your risk of obesity, diabetes, and heart disease. Picking water when you are thirsty not only helps you stay hydrated, but brings you one glass closer to the recommended 8 or more glasses of water a day that your body needs to be healthy.

Doctor Love: Lonely Girl and Unsigned
Dear Doctor Love, I am a female in my mid-twenties and I have a lot of friends. We meet a lot of times for drinks and we party nearly every weekend. Until lately it has never bothered me that I am not married and that I don't have a steady boyfriend. Some of my friends are married and some are not but all of them have someone that is special to them. I am the only one who does not have a special someone. I like guys but I am too shy to approach one without a reason. This need to find a partner is really strong. I am realistic so I am not necessarily looking for the ideal man. I just want someone who thinks I am special, too. How do I go about finding somebody? /s/ Lonely Girl

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Incident Between Belizean and Guatemalan Forces at Sarstoon
The Government of Belize confirms that a confrontation between Belize Security Forces and Guatemalan Armed Forces occurred late evening of Saturday, March 12th, at the Sarstoon in the area of Belize's Forward Operating Base. The GAF approached the FOB, though they never actually attempted to come on to our land, and behaved in an extremely hostile and threatening manner, insisting that our troops should not be at the Sarstoon. The Belize Forces stood their ground and after some time the GAF withdrew. In the intervening period the BDF Commander General Jones had spoken to an opposite member in Guatemala and Prime Minister Dean Barrow had sent a message to President Jimmy Morales. Despite the ultimately peaceful end to the standoff it is clear that tension with Guatemala over the Sarstoon and Belize's insistence on its sovereignty rights in accordance with the 1859 Treaty Demarcation of the river, is at an all-time high. Talks are to take place in Washington on Tuesday, March 15th, between the two sides under the auspices of the OAS, and in the meantime Belize has informed key members of the international community, including the US and the UK, of the extremely critical situation.

Help Save the Yellow-Headed Parrrot!
Want to help save a Globally Endangered Species? We have just the opportunity for you! An adventure of a lifetime!

Poets Corner: Mirror!
By Abdulmajeed K. Nunez. poets_corner.jpg Mirror! Mirror! On the wall The youth is doing what he sees that's all Learning from the dirtiest of them all The National Youth Council has been stonewalled But the media will not investigate this at all Being afraid to make the call Bagman in trouble and may take the fall I guess the principal has to make the call Greg Chuc was chosen but the PM did not accept it at all Now they want to put in their puppet, and surprise us all One, two, three It even eluded me For those of you who do not believe in conspiracy Tactics used in this National Youth Council is all dirty DJ going to Pallotti! To pick up pickney School pickney used to pay dirty money Isn't bribery?

Lovely never-before-seen pics of Miss Nils when she was younger. Such a beauty!
Ernilda Codd née Carrasco 1927 - 2016. "In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured."

Kayak and Bike with Purpose
Mercedes is an Ocean Academy graduate who is now is in her final year of Biology at the University of Belize. On her weekends she returns to the island and mentors current Ocean Academy students so they can interpret the mangrove and reef ecosystems for visitors in the school's social enterprises "Kayak and Bike with Purpose". This weekend, Mercedes welcomed nursing students from Pitt Community College/CELA on an interactive beach-trail walk to introduce them to Caye Caulker's ecosystems.

Congratulations to the women who rode in the annual female cross country championship
and MAXIMUM respect to Kaya Cattouse for being victorious!

Cross Country Champions
All the winners to date

ON THIS 2016 BELIZE CROSS COUNTRY EVE ( PART TWO)!
Alfred Parks, one of the baddest Belizean champions of the race!

ON THE SET OF BELIZEAN LEGENDS: THE JUSTIN WILLIAMS INTERVIEW!
In reflecting on the interview with the 2015 National Belize Cross Country champion, Justin Williams, it was very historic for us here at Belizean Legends documentary series as well as it was a privilege for me to see history been made in the Belizean diaspora as a child of Belizean parents in the United States actually competed and won the legendary Belize Cross Country. Justin Williams along with his dynamic cycling powerhouse brother, Corey Williams, like Marion Jones, brought a great degree of pride and happiness to Belizeans at home and abroad being that he ended a cycle of domination by American, Mexican and Guatemalan cyclists of the most celebrated Belizean past time, the Holy Saturday Cross Country Race.

Solution's to help San Pedro's Traffic problem
If the people of San Pedro are serious about helping reduce the complaints about our traffic, they are the ones that have to change; one only has to stand on the side of any street and watch how people are driving. The way people drive here would not be tolerated anywhere else in Belize, they drive to fast and have no consideration for anyone else including pedestrians; it is only by chance that someone has not been killed. You can see the arrogance of some drivers as they bully their way through traffic, overtaking dangerously just to get one vehicle ahead. The island is small no one has miles to travel to get to work or school, so why do they feel it is necessary to drive so aggressively and dangerously to go just a short distance. I have driven in many countries as a professional driver and have never seen driving as bad as here in San Pedro.

The Reporter

Guatemalan military confront BDF at Sarstoon FOB; we are headed to OAS
After Guatemalan armed forces confronted Belize Defense Force (BDF) soldiers late Saturday evening, the Government has announced that it will take the issue to the Organization of American States (OAS) on Tuesday. The report of the incident started surfacing on Saturday night. BDF soldiers were approached by the GAF and told that they should not be at the Sarstoon, and according to reliable sources, could only move about the Sarstoon River with Guatemalan permission. According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) Guatemalan soldiers behaved in an "extremely hostile and threatening manner." Today the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) confirmed the incident and stated how it plans to respond. After the confrontation, for the first time the government is sounding the alarm, acknowledging that tension with Guatemala over the Sarstoon "is at an all-time high."

Family Day at Bottonwood Bay hosted by Kareem Musa
With the intent of bringing the residents of Caribbean Shores together, Area Representative, Kareem Musa hosted a family day with fun activities on Saturday. Musa stated that he is an avid believer in the family nucleus being the stronghold of the society. He said the family is essentially influential for a child's upbringing. And to secure the well being and guidance of the upcoming generation, the family must become a central focus. He intends to highlight the family and community in his activities. Several activities took place at the family day which catered to the entire family. In his capacity of attorney, Musa understands the need and benefits of legal aid for families. Therefore, attorneys Kevin Arthurs and Wayne Piper were present to offer legal aid services. Health Care is also a priority for the young politician and he had nurses offering their services for participants at the event.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Tensions at "all-time high" after Guatemalan Forces confront BDF at Forward Operating Base; GOB, Guats to meet in Washington
The Government of Belize says tension with Guatemala over the Sarstoon and Belize's insistence on its sovereignty rights in accordance with the 1859 Treaty Demarcation of the river, is at an all-time high. This follows a confrontation on Saturday evening, March 12, on the river between members of the Belize Defence Force (BDF) and their Guatemalan counterparts. A press release issued this afternoon says that armed forces approached the Forward Operating Base where Belizean forces were stationed and insisted that our troops should not be at the Sarstoon. Government says the Guatemalans did not attempt to enter Belizean land, though exact details of the location of the incident have not been provided. In any event, the Guatemalans withdrew after BDF Commander, Brigadier General David Jones contacted his counterpart in Guatemala and Prime Minister Dean Barrow had sent a message to President Jimmy Morales.

Kaya Cattouse wins female cross country
Kaya Cattouse is the winner of the Women's Cross Cycling Classic, defeating defending champion Alicia Thompson at the tape in Belize City after 68 miles of hard riding. Third place went to Patricia Chavarria and fourth to Gabrielle Lovell. The race was completed in approximately [�]

Taxi driver clings to life while passenger shot dead
Belize City police are currently investigating another murder in the old capital. A little after 4 this morning a young lady was fatally shot. Information reaching BBN newsroom, is that two other male persons were injured in the incident. So far no further details are available [�]

Blogs

See the Real Belize by Visiting and Supporting Santa Teresa
Not everyone visiting Belize is eager spend all of their time swimming, diving, touring attractions like Mayan ruins and bar hopping into the wee small hours of morning. Getting to know the people, the culture and the personal side of Belize has become a favorite way to vacation in this lush Caribbean nation, so if the idea of getting more than a suntan intrigues you, consider a visit to Santa Teresa, located in a remote corner of the Toledo District. What can you expect if you travel here to see the real face of Belize? A peaceful world that time forgot and also an opportunity to help make sure this little village gets the help it so richly deserves. Located deep in the lush tropical wilderness, Santa Teresa's roots reach deeply down into Belize soil. Today's population is tiny-perhaps 330-and the community's cultural heritage originated in the past when this land was occupied by Mayan peoples. While some Santa Teresa residents work outside the village, others play host to visitors eager to know more about the way of life of people living as their ancestors did generations ago. The very best way to experience Santa Teresa is to hire an experienced guide, and you would be hard-pressed to surpass Island Expeditions. You wouldn't hire someone from Ontario to show you around Belize City, would you? Santa Teresa guides are chosen by Island Expeditions for their knowledge and congeniality and since they speak English, ask all the questions you like when you visit. The highlight visitors seem to enjoy most is sharing a delicious, traditional midday meal of "caldo" with a host family. This tasty dish, prepared from locally-grown chicken, spicy broth and served with fresh tortillas, ends with a roasted cacao bean beverage. It tastes like chocolate coffee-and you're welcome to sip a second cup.

Slices of Life in Belize, March 13, 2016
Well, things are finally moving with our pool project. For starters, we were put in touch with two other contractors and, figuring we had nothing to lose, asked them for estimates. Turned out it was a good decision. We now are signed on with a Mr. Mario. He has done lots of construction, including pools, in the area. He has three teams of workers, owns his own equipment, such as cement mixers, and is as nice as can be. We have already taken delivery of gravel and sand... ...and the crew will be here tomorrow morning to start digging the foundation. We're also going to get another load of sand on Monday. If all goes according to plan, the project should be done in about eight weeks. Clearly, I will be blogging throughout, so be sure to check back here for updates.

My Belizean Adventures on San Pedro Island, Belize!
Belizean adventures like snorkeling off Ambergris Caye, exploring the local life, and sampling the food scene are real on the Belize island of San Pedro. One of the many things I loved about San Pedro island was certainly the ease of access to the beach, as well as the very short commute to one of the Caribbean's best diving spots. Despite Belize being located in Central America and much closer to Mexico than you would imagine, you couldn't help but feel the laid back vibes that are pretty commonly known across the Gulf of Mexico in the Caribbean Islands much further East.

International Sourcesizz

Green administrator builds school in Belize
For most people, Belize is a tropical paradise with white, sandy beaches, beautiful blue ocean water and a fun-filled night life that abounds with good food, drink, and entertainment. Located on the east coast of Central America, it borders Mexico on the north, Guatemala on the west and south, and the Caribbean on the east. But there is another side of Belize that most tourists do not see. This was the side that Green Local Schools administrator Julie McMahan saw for a week during a recent trip to the country. It all started when her husband Dana forgot his daughter Katey's birthday. She was attending Oklahoma City University, a small, private Methodist school, and he apologized via e-mail. When he asked her what he could give her for a present she asked for money for a trip to Belize. At first he thought she was joking - until he called and she told him she wanted to go there as part of a mission project to help build a school. She also told him they were looking for some chaperones to go along. Katey told her supervisor, Dr. Charles Neff, about the work Julie did with non-profit organizations and her passion for education. After talking with them, Neff invited Julie and Dana to come along as chaperones.

BELIZE'S IFSC GRANTS LICENSE TO FOREX BROKER ARVIS FX
The Belize financial regulator, the International Financial Services Commission (IFSC), has granted license to forex broker Arvis Capital Ltd., trading as Arvis FX, according to data published on the regulator's website. The IFSC has included the broker in a list of financial service providers registered and regulated in the country. With its addition, the list comprises of 99 regulated entities that provide trading in securities. Arvis FX was set up in 2013 and is based Belize. It offers white-label forex solutions to other brokers, which allow them to offer forex trading under their own brand. Arvis FX allows forex trading and spread betting in nearly 200 currency pairs, as well as binary option on 15 forex pairs. The broker provides no trading conditions on its website, nor any regulatory or authorization information.

7 Caribbean Treehouse Hotels
You're up in the leaves, just the sounds of birds and hoot owls and the sand down below. This is not the beach experience; it's something else. This is a different Caribbean, a rustic, natural place where you can disconnect from your day-to-day life and connect with something far different. The Caribbean is home to some quirky hotels where you can channel Robinson Crusoe, up among the treetops. They're not for everybody, but they're well worth the effort. These are the Caribbean's treehouse hotels. Belize's adventure-focused Hamanasi resort is home to some full-fledged treehouse rooms, with all of the luxuries you'd expect. The treehouse rooms are literally built among the trees, perched about 12 feet off the ground.

Clayton Williams Wins Big at Garifuna Music Awards
Congratulations, Clayton Williams, for winning 5 awards at the Garifuna Music Awards! The awards took place in New York last night. The opening act is online, and is a must watch, as it has everything in it. Keep up the great music, Clayton! "I want to give thanks to everyone who voted and supported me in the garifuna music awards. Came out with 5 awards. Garifuna nuguya"

Sofia Gómez Uribe, Pan-American Record Holding Free Diving champion, dives Belize's Great Blue Hole
Sofía Gómez, campeona panamericana de apnea, se sumergirá por primera vez en el Agujero Azul de Belice, catalogado por investigadores del mar y la vida marítima como uno de los diez mejores en el mundo para explorar y conocer bajo el agua. La apnea es una prueba deportiva en que se mide la capacidad de estar bajo el agua o la profundidad a que se puede bajar en el agua a pulmón libre. Por otra parte, el Agujero Azul en Belice es considerado como patrimonio mundial por la Unesco en 1996, siendo la barrera de arrecife de coral más grande del hemisferio occidental, ya que cuenta con más de 305 metros de radio y 145 metros de profundidad. La pereirana Sofía Gómez, de 23 años, tiene un récord de 81 metros en peso constante, es decir la modalidad de apnea que consiste en bajar y subir en una profundidad sin ayuda de ning�n equipo externo. Sofía Gómez manifestó que espera cumplir el reto de descender más de 50 metros. �De dónde surgió la idea de hacer este viaje? "Este viaje es una aventura que surgió gracias a la ayuda de Copa Airlines y me siento muy contenta porque es la primera vez que voy al Agujero Azul de Belice, para mi es gratificante conocer otros lugares". �Cómo llegó a ser campeona panamericana de apnea? "Siempre he hecho deporte y desde hace mucho tiempo practicaba natación. Hace cinco años me dediqué a la apnea. Desde hace tres años me enfoqué en profundidades y poco a poco he entrenado hasta llegar a competir".

10 things you need to know about a Belize offshore company
An International Business Company (IBC) is arguably one of the most effective corporations and is a tool used by individuals and corporations around the world to plan their taxes and manage assets. These kinds of companies have the same basic structure, but will have fundamental differences from one to the next, a situation we can attribute to jurisdiction. IBCs are understood as the core drivers of the offshore service platform around the world. Said companies are legally mandated to carry out any international transactions as long as they do it by the book. They have certain privileges too, and one of them includes being allowed not to pay taxes within the country of operation. In addition to that, such an institution is not required to disclose the names and contacts of its owners or the intricate details of its operations. A Belize IBC is a corporation formed pursuant to the stipulations of the Belize International Business Companies Act of 1990. Experts in legal matters consider this as one of the most instructive piece of legislation covering the operations of offshore businesses across the world. This is because it understands the intricacies of a particular jurisdiction (Belize in this case) and provides a friendly leeway for users, regardless of the nature of activities they are involved in (as long as they are legal).

Videos

• Female Cross Country Finish , 1min.

• Belize Spring Break 2016, 2min.

• The Mission Church Belize Pictures February 2016, 7min.

• Christopher Martin Big Deal Concert Live in Dangriga Belize, 1.5min. Christopher Martin, Jamaica's BIGGEST Dancehall Reggae artist will be performing live in Dangriga Town, the "Culture Capital of Belize", on Saturday, March 19th 2016. Be there or be nowhere!

• 2016 Belize for Elisabeth & Robert, 2.5min. Flew down for a week and had the pleasure of exploring San Pedro, Belize and end the vacation with a big wedding celebration of two of my great friends.

• How to tie island wrap Belize, 3min.

• Belize River Adventure, 13min. Join us on this EXCITING journey down the Belize River in a speed boat, as we encounter jungle life on the edge of this famous river. Filmed on Feb. 18, 2016, as an excursion while on a Princess Cruise in the Western Caribbean.

• Jungle Wildlife Rescue, reality TV series set in Belize, 5min. shot edited and produced by Daniel Velazquez cast Arran Bevis, Isabelle Paquet-Durand, Charles Britt produced and written by Kristi Drexler, Ilana lapid

• Sullivans take on Belize, 5min. Darin, Kelsie, and Kaylee went to Belize on a mission trip and this is the go pro footage they took.

• Diving Cypress Reef and Victoria Tunnels- Ambergris Caye, Belize- March 2016, 8min.

• Belize 2016, 22min. Sleeping Giant in Belmopan, Snorkeling in Belize Feb 2016, Shark Ray Alley, Hol Chan, Coral Gardens and Conch Alley

• Belize diving, 13min. Some great dives with lots of nurse sharks and a couple reef sharks with Ramons in Belize.

• Fishing, Beach BBQ and Snorkel, Lucky Devil San Pedro, 2.5min. Thanks for choosing Lucky Devil Fishing and Tours San Pedro Belize.
  • © Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board