AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Today's Belize News: September 25, 2016 - 09/25/16 11:38 AM

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

MOH explains notice to importers of Pharmaceutical and Herbal Products
In an effort to strengthen the control in the importation of Pharmaceutical and Herbal Products, the Government of Belize via the Ministry of Health (MOH) announced the development of a Drug Registry, being immediately implemented on all pharmaceuticals and herbal items entering the country. The implementation of the new regulation has become necessary and according to MOH it will be in effect until further notice. The general public is advised that in order to import pharmaceuticals or herbal preparations, vendors must be licensed as an importer with the Ministry of Health's Licencing and Accreditation Unit. The regulation will also review the application for importation of medications by 'Peddlers.' They are to be informed that the list of items they are currently trading needs to be upgraded to include name of brand, name of active ingredients, quantities to be imported and expiration date of the product.

SPHS female athletes participate in CODICADER games
The San Pedro High School (SPHS) female basketball team left on Tuesday, September 20th to compete in the Under-17, Council for Sports and Recreation of Central America (CODICADER) games in Honduras. Youth athletes from across Panama, Honduras, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Guatemala, El Salvador and Belize will be competing in 16 different sporting disciplines. The SPHS female basketball team comprises of Coach Paul Kelly, Captain Rebecca Barkhouse, Princess Bailey, Jucely Badillo, Ada Cordova, Ariene Kaitlin, Zaria Jenkins, Lisandra Novelo, Sophie Guan, Aliyah Elliot, Zelina Catzim, Leah Pilgrim, and Norman Gomez. The team is the first female team from SPHS to compete in the games, and they have been preparing to bring home a medal. The SPHS basketball team played their first game on Thursday, September 22nd against Honduras. Followed by a match against Panama on Friday, September 23rd. On Saturday, September 24th, the girls will take on Guatemala and then Costa Rica on Sunday, September 25th. They will complete against El Salvador on Monday, September 26th and against Nicaragua on their final match on Tuesday, September 8th. Points earned in the six games will be tallied to determine the Gold, Silver and Bronze Medalists.

New film documents John McAfee's troubled time in Belize
A new film by award-winning director Nanette Burstein, featuring notorious anti-virus developer John McAfee, is set to premiere on Saturday, September 24th on the Showtime US network. The documentary highlights McAfee's time in Belize leading up to the murder of his neighbour Gregory Faull, and his cunning escape from Belize into Guatemala. The documentary titled 'Gringo: The Dangerous life of John McAfee,' details his unpredictable lifestyle during his time while living in Belize. Burstein, who emails with McAfee, travelled to Belize in order to put the facts together and spoke to the anti-virus pioneer's chatty and indiscreet colleagues, workers, friends and lovers. The documentary will also feature new information regarding the murder of American Expat Greg Faull, who was assassinated in November of 2012.

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

CODICADER GAMES
Yesterday, Friday the 23rd the San Pedro High School female basketball team competed in their second match at the Under-17, Council for Sports and Recreation of Central America (CODICADER) games in Honduras. The team went up against the team from Panama, and although the girls lost 30-60 they are having the experience of a lifetime! Team Captain Rebecca Barkhouse messaged,"We tried something different today, and I don't care..to be honest it's just awesome to be here! " They are meeting student athletes from all over Central America and staying positive! Saturday night the girls will take on Guatemala and then Costa Rica on Sunday, September 25th.

Corozal Coastal and Riverways Cleanup
The Corozal Junior College (CJC) EAGLEs Environmental Club today joined the Scouts Association of Belize in its 25th National Coastal and Riverways Cleanup as we cleaned the Mangrove Park. It's unbelievable that those who frequent the park leave such things like underwear, used sanitary pads, condoms, bottles, disposables, etc instead of properly disposing of their waste. Thank you to all those who helped today. Together we can keep Corozal clean!!!

Jason N. Hall passes away
He has been called an "exemplary" Police Constable by many of his colleagues at the Belize Police Department. PC No. 1476 Jason N. Hall dies after suffering for fifteen long months with massive injuries to his head and body after he was beaten with a piece of wood by a robber who pretended to be a good Samaritan, who attacked and robbed him on June 30th of last year, at around mile 37 on the Philip Goldson Highway, when his vehicle had broken down. PC Hall (aka "Bay") passed away quietly at his Corozal home on the eve of our Independence Day. He leaves behind a host of family, friends and co-workers of the Belize Police Department. He is survived by his father Norvin Hall and mother Lydia Hendricks; his common-law-wife: Nelsie Cano; his estranged wife: Yahaira Hall; sons; Norvin, Josner, Julian & Jilian Hall; daughters: Joswanie and Yoheidi Hall; and a host of brithers, sisters, uncles, aunts, nephews and nieces; A wake for the late PC Jason N. Hall will be held on Sunday September 25th at his residence on #12 October Street, Corozal Town.

Corozal September 20th Independence Eve Parade
Here is a snippet of the Corozal September 20th Independence Eve Parade. Onlookers waited for hours until around 3:00 P.M. to witness the start but the costumes and floats were worth the wait. It was very festive and there was plenty of swag. Conditions were hot and humid but young and old all joined together in the spirit of celebrating our 35 years of Independence. Sovereign and Strong - Together as One. Long Live Belize

Monarchical Democracy
Westminster system is built for a kingdom Belizeans are still in serfdom Elizabeth was named Regent of the Common Wealth Upon giving them independence under the common wealth Under a supposed democratic system She devised what is called a "Monarchical Democracy" Regent is a head of state without executive powers Executive power is vested in the legislature Clear separation was not created The legislature in effect controls who they want as king or queen And who they want to execute the laws for their means It literally has the legislature in control of the executive Under a 'Monarchal Democracy',Belize's paradox is not exclusive Our Regent is not a Belizean Our Regent is from the United Kingdom The UK legislature control our region We are still under the British Regent; So are we really independent? Our Political system is a grandchild of the UK political system

Albert Hoy field former Hostel field
Dubu Thomas needs your help to get a bathroom for his youths and a lawnmower and 2x200 breakers switches to keep the lights on so the kids can play sports. please contact him directly at the Albert Hoy field former Hostel field. Let help DUBU with the southside youth to get a bathroom built for this field 1 urinal, one shower and three cubicles for the boys and a shower basin and three cubicle for the girls. its been thirty years of neglect! Yet the lion trods on

Mr. Amelio Kumul passes away
Mayor Daniel Guerrero, the San Pedro Town Council and Staff would like to extend its deepest condolences to the Kumul family & friends on the passing of Mr. Amelio Kumul. Mr. Amelio was an employee of the San Pedro Town Council and formerly a well known fisherman in San Pedro Town. May his soul rest in peace. Wake & Funeral arrangements will be announced later as Mr. Amelio passed away in M�rida, M�xico where he was on treatment.

The People's United Party Central Party Council has approved the appointment of a shadow cabinet
The appointed members are posted below. The purpose of the shadow ministers include: Being the Party's spokesperson on the specific areas covered by the Ministry/Ministries assigned Keep current with issues/problems affecting the assigned Ministry, Build and maintain a strong relationships with stakeholders so as to always be informed of their perspective and to present the Party's views As well as other responsibilities tied to their specific assigned Ministry/Ministries.

Emergency BNTU Meeting
The Belize National Teachers' Union Orange Walk Branch urges all BNTU members and teachers to attend an emergency membership meeting on Monday, September 26, 2016 at the La Inmaculada R.C. School Auditorium. Time: 4:30 p.m. Topic for discussion: Report of Meeting held with the Prime Minister, The Union's Stand Please come and be informed. Get the facts and share the facts. Principals and teachers are asked to kindly share this important information with all staff members and BNTU friends.

Hand in Hand Ministries building homes
BEL congratulates Hand in Hand Ministries on the construction of its 300th house in Belize! BEL and Belize Bank Limited are partnering this weekend to support this milestone, which is for the benefit of a senior citizen in Dangriga. An initiative towards improving the quality of life in Belize.

Kid's Concert and Talent Show
A great time was had at the SISE House of Culture's Full Moon Concert and Children's Talent Show. Thanks, SISE HoC and SISE Town Council. "Pictures of SISEHOC's full Moon Concert/Children's talent show held at the Santa Elena Basketball Court last Friday. A big thank you to all who attended and made this event possible, including the collaboration of the SISE Town Council."

Intermagia Dinner Show
The Rotary Club of San Ignacio is bringing the Intermagia Magic Show to Cayo again, and they are also doing a fundraiser dinner show on Friday, October 14th at the SIRH. The shows are on the 15th and 16th at the Octavia Waight Centre. "The Rotary Club of San Ignacio announces The Intermagia Adult Magic & Dinner Show. A formal gala evening elegance with an amazing steak or seafood dinner, professional musical entertainment and finally an hour and a half of mystical magic in a theater setting. Join us at the San Ignacio Resort Hotel Ballroom on Friday October 14th, 2016 at 7 pm sharp! "

World Travel Awards - Belize Nominees 2016
The World Travel Awards nominees have been named and Belize is in 4 world categories. Chaa Creek is up for Best Spa Resort, the San Ignacio Resort Hotel is up for Best Hotel, Ka'ana is up for Best Resort, and Blancaneaux is up for Best Villa Resort and Best Spa Resort. Go Belize!

Suga-City (Orange Walk) Independence Day Parade
Late post of the Suga-City (Orange Walk) Independence Day Parade. Had a blast with the Dominguez, Escalante and Vargas families. A kaleidoscope of colours and vibrant music. The people of Orange Walk are hospitable and super friendly hosts. Thank you for the food, drinks and the fun!!!

The Reporter

San Victor water system gets upgrade
To improve the quality of life for the residents in San Victor village, the Government of Belize, through the Belize Social Investment Fund (SIF) is rehabilitating the village's water system. The project, which will benefit over 1,000 villagers, consists of: constructing a new steel-frame elevated 30,000-gallon water tank with piping and accessories; installing a submersible solar water pump, chlorinator, a solar panel to provide electricity to the pump house and controls, and providing pipes and fittings for the transmission and distribution lines. SIF will construct the water tank at the highest point in the village, which is measured at 57 feet above sea level near the location of the well. Water will be gravity fed.

Police minister's son robbed of vehicle
Kryston Hulse, son of the Minister of Home Affairs and Immigration, Godwin Hulse, was robbed of a vehicle Friday in Belize City. Hulse told police that at around 10:30 last night, he was with his girlfriend on Marine Parade, when three men approached him with a gun and demanded the keys to the 2006 Toyota 4Runner he was driving. Two of the men then got into the vehicle and drove off towards the Ramada Belize City Princess, while the third man got into a white Mazda car and left.

Fisheries staff gets special training
The Fisheries Department in the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries, Forestry, the Environment and Sustainable Development, sent 15 of their officers to Australia this week for a special training course on "Enhancing Fisheries Management Capacity in the Caribbean Region." The delegation, which included senior fisheries officers, fisheries officers, analysts and policy officers, will spend four weeks at the Innovation Centre at ANCORS, University of Wollongong, which is one of Australia's top 10 universities. The training course, prepared through a collaboration between the Caribbean Regional Fisheries Mechanism (CRFM) and the Australian National Centre for Ocean Resources and Security (ANCORS) to strengthen the region's capacity in fisheries law and fisheries management.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Woman shot in Belize city
Reports reaching BBN is that a woman was shot on Pinks alley in Belize city just after 7:00 tonight. Details are still forthcoming. Police are commencing investigations. We will have more updates as the information becomes available. © 2016, www.breakingbelizenews.com. This article is the [�]

B.T.L. turning to Guatemalan telecom company for Earl relief
Belize's state-run telephone company, Belize Telemedia Limited, has confirmed that it has employed the services of a Guatemalan telecommunication company Ingetelca to assist with their recovery process following the damages to its infrastructure from Hurricane Earl. Belizeans who have seen the Guatemalan service trucks [�]

Belize hosting regional volleyball tournament
The FIVB World Championship Regional Qualification Volleyball Tournament is underway at Saint Catherine's Academy Gymnasium. The round-robin tournament is being hosted under the auspices of the North, Central America and Caribbean Volleyball Confederation (NORCECA) and features teams from Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Guatemala, [�]

Belize in "Zika crisis"?
According to this weekend's Amandala, 42 cases of Zika have been confirmed countrywide, with 341 more suspected. Of these, five women have been diagnosed with zika and 21 pregnant women are suspected to have the virus which can cause microcephaly, and other fetal brain defects. [�]

Caleb tells UN to voice struggles of LGBT
At yesterday's United Nations (UN) General Assembly, LGBT activist Caleb Orozco made a presentation claiming victory in Belize over the Section 53 ruling. He stated that this victory 'has reverberated throughout the Caribbean and has become a beacon of hope for many.' He also [�]

Belizean Patrimony for sale online
A website is offering Belize passports for sale. IPC Belize, an online website has on its page an advertisement offering Belize passports through direct local contacts. The page states that they have been able to secure "a fast, reliable and secure way of obtaining [�]

McAfee's former security guard backtracks on Showtime interview
A former security guard who worked fir anti-virus creator, John Mcafee, has now come forward and claims that he was paid to provide information on Mcafee. Edward Mckoy claims he was paid $3,000 dollars to be interviewed. Mckoy has a receipt in which $3,000 [�]

PUP announces Shadow cabinet
The People's United Party (PUP) today held its National Party council meeting at the Belize Elementary School auditorium in Belize city. Leaders, members and supporters of the party gathered to celebrate the 66th birthday of the PUP. The Party Council has approved the appointment [�]

Son of police minister robbed at gun point
Two men have been detained after the son of Police Minister Godwin Hulse was robbed at gunpoint Thursday night. Kryston Hulse and his girlfriend were parked on Marine Parade in Belize City in a red 4Runner SUV. Three dark complexion male persons approached them [�]

Blogs

Act Fast on a Stolen Cell Phone
As many of you know, Monday night the unthinkable happened and my phone was stolen out of my bag. It went down so fast it made my head spin. I was walking on the north on the west side of back street and right at the parking lot between the Artists Market and San Pedro House of Culture. I did not have my cell phone out at all and I had my music player in my hand so my arm was up and mostly covering my bag. Along came Evil Houdini riding his bike at a good clip. While passing me from the front, he somehow managed to reach on my bag without slowing down or even touching me - that part is still baffling. The only reason I knew something happened was that my strap is adjustable and so his motion knocked one part of the strap off my shoulder and my bag dropped lower, it was also fully open compared to partly before. I spun around and he was already gone.

The Independence Parade in San Pedro Part Two: Jump Up Behind the Truck!
More photos from Belize's 35th Birthday Party in San Pedro. Did I mention that it was HOT? I'm giving you all my photos because, well, I worked hard for them. The temperature may have been 89 degrees at noon but the real feel? Accuweather tells me it was 110. And I BELIEVE! Blistered feet, a crazy sunburn and�some sort of heat exhaustion that make me�well a bit sick. Was it worth it?

Independence Day, Ranchito Style
As I mentioned in my previous post, Wednesday was Independence Day here in Belize. We, along with our friends, Colleen and Bruce, decided to check out some of the festivities at the Ranchito Community Center. The festivities kicked off with a parade of local school children. Dressed in their school uniforms, all of the them sported flags and horns. Some even had patriotic (albeit temporary) tattoos. The smallest munchkins got to ride in style. And to keep the pace moving, there was even a drum corps. Some of the children carried banners, including one displaying this year's theme. We were also delighted to see the 2015 Queen of Ranchito and her successor, who was crowned later in the day. Aren't these beautiful young ladies?

International Sourcesizz

McClean addresses de-risking, SDGs at UN
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Maxine McClean, has taken Barbados' concerns over de-risking on correspondent banking activity to the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA). In her address to the 71st session of the UNGA this afternoon, McClean said "the negative impacts of the economic and financial decisions of international financial and other institutions", as well as "persistent and unwarranted attacks" on the island's international financial services sector are detrimental to economic development. "These actions threaten our economic stability and our ability to participate in global financial, trade and economic systems. They undermine our capacity to achieve full implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals," McClean said. The issue of de-risking has been a major concern for member states of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) after several, including Barbados, Belize, Antigua and Jamaica, have reporting that they have begun feeling the impact of the decision by international banks to terminate or restrict correspondent banking relationships with those countries.

Videos

• Hawkesworth Bridge being repaired in San Ignacio, 1min. Lol from 1949 to now

• San Pedro, Belize, 5min. Belize birthday trip.

• Sharks and Rays in Belize, 3min. Swimming with sharks and rays in Belize

• Belize 2016, 6min. San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize Aqua Vista Beachfront Suites Catamaran Belize Day Tours Uprising Fishing Tours.

• My Family trip to Belize pt. 1, 4min.
  • © Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board